Possibilty of RS voice chat?

Jimmyw3000

I got phishing site alert on Chrome, too.

OT: Oh sweet Jesus, it'll be like playing Halo with 12-year old MLGers. Do not want. If I wanted to voice chat, I'd use something where I know the people who I'm speaking too - that being Skype.

Pretty sure you'd have to actually choose to enter the whole voice chat thing, kinda like a CC.

Note: avoid populated voice-chat CCs. Or, you know, most voice-chat CCs in general or whatever they'd end up having.

What I think might be cool is just voice chat within a fixed radius of walking, with volumes added in per distance. So for example, as I wander through lumbridge I hear people having a conversation about fishing, and then I go to the cowfields and there's people who are talking about levelling strength on pures. Just localized chat would be really cool :) .

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Few things:

I don't want to hear random people. I really don't.

I don't want to hear some person saying swear words for [cabbage]s and giggles.

Or yelling/swearing at me.

Or literally hear hundreds of people screaming on W2 or the GE.

Or, for that matter, have random people hear ME having a voice conversation.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested.

I had it with WOW and its stupid.

I'm here to play a game, not find out how fughly and [developmentally delayed]ed you are in real life.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

it works fine for 5 man games in league of legends; that game might have a more mature player base though. I'd use it with people I know well, but definitely not any public clan chats like TSG

I'm pretty sure it would be optional people...just because they implement voice chat, doesn't mean every random person you meet you'll be able to hear....

I think it's a great idea, and I use ventrillo, so I have no need for it anyways. I don't want to add some random person from RS on Skype or give them the password to the vent server I use, so just being able to randomly use an in place system in the game would be great for those times.

Also, I personally find it very entertaining to hear people "insult and own you" online, so I support for the fun factor of it personally :P

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I don't know...I'm in the middle on this one. It seems a bit advanced for a java game? I mean I love using ventrillo etc with friends but I can't help but think the girl gamers such as myself will get a bit hounded by random kids asking to chat, even if it's in an argument 'to proove we're not guys irl'. Vent suits me fine for boss monsters and just random banter with friends. But yeah if it happened that's cool I guess and obviously it would be optional and maybe an add on thing like that internet toolbar they released. I'll probably just stick to my ventrillo.

Will be interesting. Like someone already said though, RS's own client still can't compete with SwiftKit. I doubt a voice chat provided by Jagex will be able to compete with established tools such ask Ventrillo, Teamspeak, and Skype.

Not to say this isn't a move in the right direction though. It is another area for Jagex to explore.

Edit: Wouldn't it be cheaper for Jagex to just enter into a form of partnership with an established voice communication software company (Such as Teamspeak)? It would save research and development costs leading to more content updates and pretty much make it simpler for both Jagex and its already established player base.

America's Army was the first thing using Teamspeak 3 as they built it in before the beta standalone came out. From the Teamspeak site - The TeamSpeak 3 Software Development Kit (SDK) offers a complete integrated solution for online games...etc. So that's a possibility.

chaosoffar.png

Everyone is thinking you will be able to talk to everyone. It will most likely be an option on the friends list and you can hear each other anywhere, not just next to each other. Much like ventrilo or similar programs.

This will be abused while PKing.

Not sure how, lol.

EnEx.png

Fire cape owner since September 25th, 2006.

Everyone is thinking you will be able to talk to everyone.

This is what I was thinking... Where the hell did you guys get this idea anyway?

I'd question Jagex's intentions. Obviously they're not idiots (questionable), so you have to ask what Jagex why they are doing this when they know perfectly reasonable programs already exist.

Why.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Everyone is thinking you will be able to talk to everyone.

This is what I was thinking... Where the hell did you guys get this idea anyway?

I'd question Jagex's intentions. Obviously they're not idiots (questionable), so you have to ask what Jagex why they are doing this when they know perfectly reasonable programs already exist.

Why.

Now really, would Jagex allow open mics in the public? Just think about it. For one, it would be unplayable in places such as GE World 2, imagine 1500 12 year olds blaring music into the mic. And second, they don't want swearing complaints (random person walks by hears someone swear) That's why I strongly believe you will have to accept a "Voice-Chat Request" (like a trade request)

But the thing I wonder is how would they monitor this? People could password scam via mic, and unless Jagex records and reviews every audio log, I don't see what they would do in that case.

EnEx.png

Fire cape owner since September 25th, 2006.

We used to say IRC was working so well as well, but anyways with 49%yes and 40% maybe, seems very likely that we are getting it "soon".

OT: Skype is horrible at teamspeak. Its heavily bloated and pathetic on hosting 25men conference. Even those more bloated than skype offer better teamspeak than skype.

OT: Oh sweet Jesus, it'll be like playing Halo with 12-year old MLGers. Do not want. If I wanted to voice chat, I'd use something where I know the people who I'm speaking too - that being Skype.

Pretty sure you'd have to actually choose to enter the whole voice chat thing, kinda like a CC.

Note: avoid populated voice-chat CCs. Or, you know, most voice-chat CCs in general or whatever they'd end up having.

What I think might be cool is just voice chat within a fixed radius of walking, with volumes added in per distance. So for example, as I wander through lumbridge I hear people having a conversation about fishing, and then I go to the cowfields and there's people who are talking about levelling strength on pures. Just localized chat would be really cool :) .

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Few things:

^This^

... and the GE on any given world lags horribly already. How much more would it lag with a voice client added? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

When Teamspeak became popular I was like "why would I want to hear squeaky ten-year-old voices saying pwned?"

Few things:

^This^

... and the GE on any given world lags horribly already. How much more would it lag with a voice client added? :unsure:

There seems to be a lot of problems with this idea at the moment. For example how will a rs voice client be able to compete with something like this:

334unw1.png

This is only the Teamspeak of a team, not an organized clan. I didn't want to screeny my old clan's Ventrillo because it usually has 20-40 people on it at all times and its too annoying to screeny that to show the intricacies of their organization. Can Jagex really make the simple RS clan chat as intricate as a Teamspeak like this? Even better, can they even allow players to peronalize the cc setup to let it be this complicated without taking up too much server space? If Jagex really wants to support Voice chat, they really should just enter into a partnership with Teamspeak or Ventrillo. It would make their lives and the players lives a whole lot easier.

120dgl.jpg

I'm fairly certain that it will be possible to lower the volume of voice chat all the way down to zero, temporarily mute it, or just not have it enabled at all.

Which means- all the people freaking out over being forced to hear every 11 year old on Runescape's moans and grunts can calm down.

Also, to the people saying that TS/vent/etc's features are better than the RS voice system's freatures (how something can be better better than something that currently doesn't exist, and as such whose features are not currently known, is a concept I'm not sure I can fully understand, but that's another issue) I'm pretty sure that there will be some degree of customization by the user. Perhaps disabled(muted) during combat? During movement? Certain skills, activities, or areas? I'm also pretty sure that if there were to be privateish channels, similar to clan chats or TS/Vent channels that, like CCs, the leader would be able to grant certain ranks and administer settings about the channel. Why could they do it in CC but not in a VC channeL?

In the end, who knows. We can't make judgment about something we know nothing about.

Plus, as someone before me has pointed out, a RS based voice chat would eliminate issues of external software compatibility.

BRB downloading a certain program because I want to VC with someone for a few minutes

Not only would it remove compatibility issues, but it would also (as someone pointed earlier as well) remove issues such as sharing other personal information or private channel information, which could be abused by someone with malicious intents.

Also, those saying that it's a bad idea because users would be forced to abide by Jagex's rules, aren't you having to abide by their rules in playing runescape in the first place? If it would be problematic to follow their guidelines for VC (whatever they may be) then you are just as free to pick up a third party voice program. RS voice chat and third party voice programs are not mutually exclusive.

I personally think it would be fun to be able to speak with anyone in the area also willing to speak.

Here are some of the pros and cons that I've come up with, anyone can be free to come up with their own list

Pros: no software issues, no private information shared, new avenue for forming friendships

Cons: possibility of increasing lag, Jagex could be putting effort into more arguably important content (quests, skills, etc)

I'd be very wary of including speculation about certain features, or lack thereof, into a list of pros and cons, as they are only speculation.

They could easily incorporate a teamspeak voip system using the teamspeak SDK. I just hope to God if this does come out there will be a "Click here to mute idiots who act like they have tourrettes" button. Also, be prepared for vocal gold seller ads if this comes out for other than clan chat.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

They could easily incorporate a teamspeak voip system using the teamspeak SDK. I just hope to God if this does come out there will be a "Click here to mute idiots who act like they have tourrettes" button. Also, be prepared for vocal gold seller ads if this comes out for other than clan chat.

that would be lulzy, I wanna hear someone shouting IRL 'SELLING GOLD' ect.

Also, how do you pronounce Ardougne? :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Why use a RS Voicechat method when we've already got Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Skype etcetera?

Because in order to talk to your RuneScape friends, you have to give them your username or they give you theirs. That's actually against the RuneScape rules... As dumb as it is, I've been muted for asking someone's Skype username.

Also, very easy to get IP addresses and do "vewy bad and mawicious things wif dem" through Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc.

Also, how do you pronounce Ardougne?

Are - Doe - N. Just like it looks, minus the silent g.

09144a99bb.png

I thought it was pronounced AR - doug - knee ... :unsure:

Some of the big ones that happen through Skype and Ventrilo with my friends is Guthix and Guthan.

Are they pronounced Guh-thix and Guh-thans? Or are they Goo-thix and Goo-thans? Every person I've heard from North America says Goo-thix, everyone from the UK and that area says Guh-thix.

09144a99bb.png

I thought it was pronounced AR - doug - knee ... :unsure:

I thought it was Arr-douh-gun

Thats how I always pronounced it arr douh gone, and car uh jahmuh, voor ock, fala door

Some of the big ones that happen through Skype and Ventrilo with my friends is Guthix and Guthan.

Are they pronounced Guh-thix and Guh-thans? Or are they Goo-thix and Goo-thans? Every person I've heard from North America says Goo-thix, everyone from the UK and that area says Guh-thix.

I'm from america but I say Guh-thix and goo-thans, also I met someone that says Zezima as Zeh Zih mah, and I say Zeh Zee mah

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101