Does any company actually finish a series?

Lep

First show me and my girlfriend watched during the winter break, was Reboot. She wasn't into it until about halfway through the first season. Eventually we get to the very last episode... oh, look at that. A megahuge cliffhanger at the end and after some researching, they never finished the show at all. And this show is like 10 years old so there's no hope for it now.

Next show we decided to watch, was Inuyasha. (Who doesn't know this show) She loved it since she had seen some episodes before. I liked it a little bit but it got really repetitive with the constant filler episodes. Eventually we got to the 2nd lsat season and finished it. Surprise! The final season isn't in english! I was under the impression that Inuyasha was an old show and would have been done already.

Then my girlfriend wanted to watch Sailor Moon. Surprise! The final season isn't in english either! :thumbdown: This show is also old.

One of my own personal 'beefs' that I have, is that special 'YO' episode for Dragon Ball Z that they made; it wasn't english either.

So what the hell is wrong with all of these show creators? Isn't there a series I can watch that actually finishes? And I mean one that isn't over 9000 episodes long like Pokemon which, for some reason, is still being created.

I spontaneously thought of The Sopranos. It finished.

Sure, there's been rumours about 2 movies being made... But nothing more than rumours, and (unfortunately) it's just looking like rumours *need my fix*.

Some series i think should be ended is Simpsons and Family guy. Both are still occasionally funny, but my god... I've fast forward most FG episodes during the latest season.

Matt Groening has Futurama which he himself said he'd like to focus more on and Seth MacFarlane has American Dad, both which i think is a lot better than the "parent" series. Ok sure, Futurama is one of my all time favourites... But you get the point.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Providing closure in a television show can be rather difficult. They're designed to keep the viewer coming back each week by almost never providing full closure at the end of an episode or season. A good example is the difficulty that the creators of Lost encountered. It's tough to please everyone with a "last episode"...just look at Seinfeld.

Oh, and maybe this should be moved to MM&T?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

You're looking in the wrong place. Television, excepting a few special cases, has yet to enter the world of higher art. Normal television series are based off the idea that people watching them are just looking for a quick fix - something to temporarily subdue the infinite and pervasive boredom of life. The shows continue until funding runs out for two simple reasons: The first, no one cares; and the second, they are profitable.

When asked for series that did finish, many excellent ones come to mind, often with the thought that they actually ended prematurely. Whether this is true, or simply an effect of the barrage of utter garbage modern man is subjected to, I cannot say.

If you wish for titles, the two best examples that occur to me are the Sly Cooper video game series and the Sherlock Holmes stories. The former took the form of three excellent games for the PS2, then concluded, albeit indefinitely, but mostly permanently. Many a year has passed since Sly 3 was released, and any rumors regarding a fourth installment are just that - rumors. The latter, on the other hand, has many sequels, but none by the same author, for the simple and unavoidable reason that he is currently deceased, and will remain so indefinitely. Interestingly enough, Sir Conan Doyle actually did not write Holmes stories up to his death, but instead undertook many unusual philosophical projects, most of which would today be considered lunacy. At the time, he felt that the stories were below him, and interfered with his more intelligent musings, which he believed would be the true fuel for any future fame.

Another show past its prime: big brother. For all who are unfamiliar, the show runs like this: 16 random strangers are stuck in a house competing for a grand prize. Each week, they compete in 'challenges' to stay in the house, and earn prizes such as food and trips. Each week, 2 people get nominated to leave, and the entire house has to vote one out. It would've been a good show if they didn't put all those restrictions on choosing contestants (people can't have diabetes, can't be allergic to most foods, can't be handicapped in any way). Survivor should end too, as should the amazing race, as should that stupid 'total nonstop action wrestling'...

div>

I think the problem with bigtime series, is that nobody really "owns" them; it doesn't belong to one single/group of people because by the 12th season its had 45 different scriptwriters, 20 concept developers, 12 directors, and 5 executive producers. At that point, who's "brain child" is this show? With so many different people, it looses it's ambitional touch and turns itself into a money-making machine.

At this point, it's hard to make one nice closing because with so many previous perspectives and it's current status of a money-maker...it's hard to please the viewers AND keep the artistic touch of the story.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I can think of many tv shows that satisfiyingly concluded

Friends

Will & Grace

Ugly Betty

ER

Sex & The City

Charmed

Fraiser

Pretty much all the Star Treks

to name a few.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As much as I hate to admit it, someone needs to take House off the air soon before it drags itself down even further. It's a great example of incredible shows just going wrong.

The first 3/4 seasons of House were really good but, it's way past its prime on Season 7 now. They're just pandering to the casual audience and Huddy shippers. If anyone watched last week's episode, "Recession Proof", you'll know what I mean :(

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Friday Night Lights just ended the series with its 5th season. The finale wrapped up all the loose ends and provided some pretty good closure for the series.

I hate that it ended though, I hate any TV show that ends really. It leaves me with a really weird feeling.

jjroxlu7.jpg

As much as I hate to admit it, someone needs to take House off the air soon before it drags itself down even further. It's a great example of incredible shows just going wrong.

The first 3/4 seasons of House were really good but, it's way past its prime on Season 7 now. They're just pandering to the casual audience and Huddy shippers. If anyone watched last week's episode, "Recession Proof", you'll know what I mean :(

I've watched every House episode there is and even though I'll still watch every episode they make, I wish they'd cancel it, really I do.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm still kinda pissed at My Name is Earl, being cut off and canceled. Same with Survivors.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

Kenny vs spenny died off rather than ended. It had a bunch of good seasons, then went off air for 9 months, before returning for one 'season finale xmas episode' that lasted an hour rather than the normal 30mins. Kinda sad how it went, seeing as it was truly an original/groundbreaking show.

div>

You're looking in the wrong place. Television, excepting a few special cases, has yet to enter the world of higher art.

As a fan of dramatic TV, I have to say that I think this is wrong. You are indeed looking in the wrong place if you can't find TV shows that are artful--and being artful includes having a proper ending. Yes, network television is designed with catering to the lowest common denominator in mind--usually. But there are shows that have set their sights higher, and had real endings. And to find the best of the best, there is always cable: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, etc. are all great shows that have ended on their terms.

But then, there are still cable shows, like Deadwood and Carnivale, that have been canceled prematurely, because the audience still plays a part. There are plenty of books that never get published because the publishers don't think they're marketable; TV is different in that it gives more room for experimentation. Put a show on for a season, see if it works, if not, axe. Same idea of pleasing the audience, but different medium with different ways of doing so. It may be less fair to the audience, but it can still produce some amazing stuff, so I'm not complaining.

p2gq.jpg

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles :wall:

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

You're looking in the wrong place. Television, excepting a few special cases, has yet to enter the world of higher art.

As a fan of dramatic TV, I have to say that I think this is wrong. You are indeed looking in the wrong place if you can't find TV shows that are artful--and being artful includes having a proper ending. Yes, network television is designed with catering to the lowest common denominator in mind--usually. But there are shows that have set their sights higher, and had real endings. And to find the best of the best, there is always cable: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, etc. are all great shows that have ended on their terms.

You can add Breaking Bad to that list...eventually. There is no way they can keep it going indefinitely, and the creators don't WANT it to go long. Hell of a show.

Bryan Cranston won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series THREE YEARS IN A ROW for it, and they've only had 3 seasons so far. I'm hoping he gets a 4th one this year because he's a hell of an actor

yes.png

I think the problem with bigtime series, is that nobody really "owns" them; it doesn't belong to one single/group of people because by the 12th season its had 45 different scriptwriters, 20 concept developers, 12 directors, and 5 executive producers. At that point, who's "brain child" is this show? With so many different people, it looses it's ambitional touch and turns itself into a money-making machine.

At this point, it's hard to make one nice closing because with so many previous perspectives and it's current status of a money-maker...it's hard to please the viewers AND keep the artistic touch of the story.

I don't know if there could possibly be any worse of a guess. The person that owns property is the network. For TV there is always like a one writer who created the concept or idea of the show. He pitches said idea to a network and if they're interested they'll fund a pilot, if the pilot makes it past testing it'll go on air and if it does well it'll then get picked up by the network. The reason seasons are left open is because they aren't always told before a season is ended that they've gotten picked up for another season. So there isn't time for the writers to conclude the series. TV series are designed for longevity so when their ratings start to slip or something and a network decides to dropped them they're screwed basically if you plan for a conclusion. The only times a series end properly is if it's planned.

About the writers, on a TV show there is what's called as a writer's room which is a room full of writers who brainstorm and collective pound out ideas for next weeks episode. The writer who usually ends up writer the episode is usually the person who pitches the best idea that week. Directors, there are usually a set staff of them, occasionally someone might earn the right to direct after putting in hard work. My point though, is that TV production isn't as chaotic as you make it out to be.

tFtfA.jpg

CBC had a great show, jPod, about 4 years ago. They never really gave it a chance, and they screwed it over by putting it on Friday nights when nobody is home watching TV. It ended with a damn cliffhanger too, and I get pissed off every time I see the crap they are playing today, when they could have at least given the show a second season.

Another example is FlashForward, an interesting sci-fi/drama that had a good story and concept. It got canceled after one season because people would rather watch crap reality shows instead of something with an actual plot.

Tbh More shows need a fanbase like Chuck. The network been cancelling that every season so far!

They tried to cancel after season 1, fan demand got a season 2.

They tried again fan demand got a short season3 which then got extended mid-run due to ratings.

Then they got a season 4 with threat of cancelattion again; but again fan demand seems to of secured a 5th season and possibly a 6th

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I've watched every House episode there is and even though I'll still watch every episode they make, I wish they'd cancel it, really I do.

I definitely agree, I still watch them but I've decided to stop buying the DVDs, it's just not worth it any more. Someone needs to kill the show before it just goes past the point of no return, which is rapidly approaching.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Flashforward is definitely an amazing example of a series that needs more. Then again it could turn out to be like Heroes Season 2-?. <_<

Seriously, if you want to talk about a show with wasted potential Heroes is at the top of my list. Season 1 was like crack for me and then S2/S3 came along, I watched every episode on it's release date until about halfway through S3.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

Ya it stinks.

Biggest peeve i have is with stargate atlantis. Last episode atlantis returns to earth and destroys a wraith super hive... Now what. Do they just leave peggasus and watch as an entire galaxy full of people gets literally eaten alive.

What i also hate for animated shows is when they make a sequal so far down the line that the voice actors have either quit or died, and they hire new actors to play old charecters. Great examples are the 4th 5th and 6th digimon movies where the voices of the main charecters are just junk.

Also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NHUm0eLgQI

You know its a good movie when people actually start making a fan Dub themselves. Yet they refuse to make a normal dub for this movie. Been waiting for months for the fan dub to be finished.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!