Two Chilling Graphs to Look at.

pal2002

no folks this proves RuneScape is dying. Your blind if you don't realise it is. I mean new players probably do find RuneScape for google right?? either way if RuneScape was at the same popularity then the graph would still be relatively stable one would assume. the whole argument of botting sites versus runescape doesnt make sense to be fair. but prediciting the popularity of runescape, of course!

i just started playing f2p again (9hp account :mrgreen:) and one thing ive noticed hanging around w1 is that almost everyone knows a lot about RuneScape, there are hardly any newbs, plenty of noobs, hardly any newbs lol. Literally man that recent article that everyone was slagging should prove, it's not a particuarly appealing game to new players anymore. I can't really talk because I can't look at [bleep] from their opinion but the guy that did the review was, everyone said it was bias, no he just didn't like RuneScape - fair enough! probs the reason i got so into runescape was messing about with all my mates at school, seeing who could do the best. youd see people around with rune and be like 'ooooh, i want that' and within not look you could actually achieve that goal. imagine being a new player now and seeing, say, a 99 cape. you think oo id like that! but its not at all realisable unless you put in obscene ammounts of hours. u no??

the guy who wrote that article also said that RuneScape seemed like a game were people chose their horse and rode it until the death. (something along those lines). this is also pretty obviously true, especially in f2p. i was walking around with a 9hp acc and i bumped into 3 others in an hour. also saw about 20 bunny ears, many scythes etc. on f2p an all. so many people have insane ammounts of cash, and its incredibly hard to get that without already having cash/skills/quests.

these graphs just prove what ive been thinking for a while, tried to say but i got flamed.

i dont know much about other mmorpgs to be fair, but a few of my friends played and play some. from what i can tell most go through the same cycle. at first not many people, then a boom, then a decline and, eventually, death. runescapes definately got 4 more years in it, id say, at least. but from those graphs and how the game is looking we're in the decline. when other mmorpgs are in decline there are still plenty of players, but no notable influx of new players, which is the lifestream of all mmorpgs. in RunesScape we have pleanty of players dedicated hard. therefore bots to accomodate, which just makes the game less and less appealing for new players.

it seems to me aswell that jagex realises this, hence the wildy updates and a lot more high lvl updates to keep old players playing.

at the end of the day guys you can't argue that less google searches probably means less new players. and im rpetty sure you cant argue that less new players = demise of game.

x

Oh for pete's sake. I've seen this plenty of times, I think the first time was about 4 years ago. The game still exists now, so what does that say?

That in another 4 years, people will still be making these threadds

Runescape.com isn't that hard to remember, besides even if less player were playing (not the case) I'd be happy, more empty spots for me!

point is more people are botting.

also the fact that runescape.com is easy to remember doesn't make sense as to the graphs irrelevance? no i think it shows less people are playing runescape. does that make sense yeah?

like it should definately indicate something. due to some kind of famous theory i cant remember, something liek chaos stability or something. chaos brings order, so everyone doing everything on an individual basis should make the graph fairly static. i actually google runescpae sometimes because i play on my laptoop and lie so i type with one hand. if i just type in runescape into my search bar then it searches on google for it and comes up - less effort. lets say that since 2004, or whenever the graph starts, the player base has been excactly the same. over time the graph would be fairly static. but obviously the player base is not. yet the ammount of people searching would be fairly similar, in regards to the percentages. therefore i reckon that it's a perfectly good conclusion that sharp drops and falls are directly influenced by the ammount of players.

i dunno this isn;t the best argument..

i got this link but i gotta b honest i didnt bother reading it.. http://www.schuelers.com/chaos/chaos1.htm

lol

Searches do not equal people playing the game, or profit for jagex. For example, one of your graphs shows a general deline in searches in in 08, but here ren provided us with a nice graph that can be seen here http://forum.tip.it/topic/256788-jagex-financial-report-2008-09/page__p__4080478__hl__decline__fromsearch__1#entry4080478

There we see that jagex acctually continued to grow and gain more profits than ever despite searches decling. Also doesn't alexa require you to have their toolbar installed in order to rank websites? If so that's basically negates very valuable and accurate stitistics there.

And for whoever mentioned seeing this thread here are a few lol

http://forum.tip.it/topic/275965-the-runescape-population/page__hl__dieing

http://forum.tip.it/topic/286262-is-rs-dying/page__hl__decline

This one is slightly off topic but, it's a thread on where rs would be in five years. The poster predicited summoning, construction, and partyhats in the billions lol. I thought that was pretty funny.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/42716-where-will-rs-be-in-another-5-years/page__hl__decline

Please don't bump any of these by the way, they are all old.

jpegsigtest.jpg

so this proves that more people who frequent botting communities are too [developmentally delayed]ed to remember their URL and/or know how to type URLs into their browsers than those who use tip.it or play runescape

right?

Correct.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

So let's just assume that the OP is correct and the game is dying, who gives a flying [bleep]? Runescape is going to die eventually just like every single other MMO because no game lasts forever. That being said, Runescape still has over 100,000 people playing the game even at off peak times so stop whining and spouting the doomsday [cabbage] because everyone is sick of it.

/rant.

/discussion.

Sylpheed.png

People searching for online games might click on runescape in google....people searching ingame info already know the game.

News/press releases create more searches on google.

I believe there was a time you heard a few things on the news about kids being robbed and stuff.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

WoWisDying.png

ZOMG, WOW IZ DYING!!@

In all seriousness most of the downward "trending" is probably due to the facts that many people have heard of it and so don't need google and that the major media doesn't cover large rs upgrades like they do with other games like WoW; most of the spikes in the above graph happened when Blizzard had a major announcement about an expansion, and because rs is constantly updated they don't have that kind of PR clout often (And never exploit major media, like they'd have a chance lol).

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

^^^

i did 10mins ago :P

can omeone reply tro my post, cos its not a good argument saying 'oh people know about it now'. if that is the csae then its just more evidence that runescape is dying. it means that the majority of people playing runescape have been playing for a while. but i still think, it must be a fairly good representation of interest in google. susrely tere are proportionally around the same percent of people googling runescape throughout its history. for many different reasons of course. surely this shows less people are interested in runescpae. sdurely that means its dying?

amiwrong?

^^^

can omeone reply tro my post, cos its not a good argument saying 'oh people know about it now'. if that is the csae then its just more evidence that runescape is dying. it means that the majority of people playing runescape have been playing for a while. but i still think, it must be a fairly good representation of interest in google. susrely tere are proportionally around the same percent of people googling runescape throughout its history. for many different reasons of course. surely this shows less people are interested in runescpae. sdurely that means its dying?

amiwrong?

Right now the mmo market is pretty saturated, those who have a lifestyle that suits playing things like runescape or wow already know about such games; in order to create more searches on these games the market will have to be increased, and that generally means broadening appeal which often (Not always mind you) sacrifices content suited to the more dedicated players. What you're saying is true in the sense that the way mmo's are being made, marketed, and played is leading to stagnation, which is generally bad, but in the short-term I can't forsee this causing too many problems.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

^^^

amiwrong?

Right now the mmo market is pretty saturated, those who have a lifestyle that suits playing things like runescape or wow already know about such games; in order to create more searches on these games the market will have to be increased, and that generally means broadening appeal which often (Not always mind you) sacrifices content suited to the more dedicated players. What you're saying is true in the sense that the way mmo's are being made, marketed, and played is leading to stagnation, which is generally bad, but in the short-term I can't forsee this causing too many problems.

fiar enough lol, yeah no nor can i. i think i said somewhere im 100% runescape will be around for at least 6 more years. but that doesnt mean it isnt dying, like u said stagnating. maybe that is happening to all mmorpgs..

• 3 weeks later...

The fact is, Jagex haven't done anything properly new in order to maintain player interest - the big recent change was more of a regression than an innovation - and so it would not be suprising if the game was dying.

HOWEVER

Don't base such a statement on Google search statistics alone. It might equally imply that players are more contented with the game and no longer have the need to search for it - they are contented, the game is stable, and new players aren't coming in as much. Old players would likley enter the web address straight into the search bar, rather than Google, because it's easier. Thus, only newcomers, unsure of the web address, use Google.

As for the state of bots and other such things, I am sure it has increased massively since January's turn around. It's a sad fact that comes with the freedom of trade and wilderness return which was so often demanded. Again, just because people Google bot sites doesn't mean they use them. I'm sure many are disheartened and opt out.

Google alone shouldn't really be a basis for concern.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

this isn't surprising, people need to actually type in bot sites in google to actually find the site the first time.

As for runescape...forget google, simply typing Runescape in your URL bar takes you right there.

When people look for RS help sites, they don't search for "tipit", they'll search for Runescape help/fan site, which is why tip.it doesn't have a high search amount.

when using firefox (or chrome) you'll go to use google as search engine when typing it in your address bar: so if you just type "runescape" and press enter you're likely to show up on the google trends. (though not if it is still in your history)

Google trends isn't made to count hits on a site: however it gives a good indicate of NEW people coming to the site.. But isn't that something we already know for a long time? - Runescape IS slowly dieing, it's like a person of 55 years old: still capable of doing everything but starting to see some problems of age!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.