Job Interviews

Assume Nothing

Well, with the UK's economy in utter turmoil, I think we need a thread on Job Interviews.

What tips do you OTers have?

And how would you answer the following job interview questions:

[hide=Wall of text]· Could you tell me a bit about yourself?

· What would you hope to achieve in 5 years time?

· Do you consider yourself successful?

· Are you a team player?

· What is your greatest strength?

· What is your greatest weakness?

· How would you deal with a tricky customer?

· What do you know about our organisation?

· Have you ever been convicted of theft?

· Tell me about your ability to work under pressure.

· Tell me about a time when you settled a dispute.

· Why do you want to work for this organisation?

· Why are you interested in the position you are applying for?

· Do you think you are overqualified for the position you are applying for?

· Why did you leave your last job?

· What have you learnt from your mistakes on the job?

· What irritates you about your co-workers?

· Tell me a problem you had with your previous supervisor.

· Why should we hire you?

· Do you have any questions for me?

[/hide]

Mods, feel free to move my thread if it's in the incorrect section

77363_460s.jpg

(From the Webcomic Saturday Morning Breakfst Cereal)

Sadly I've never done a job interview, although in a previous interview I found the most important thing was to be relaxed and to express my opinion fluently.

I'm not an efficienado.

Don't like interviews. It's just an excuse to have more socialized people to qualify for instead of people who need work, or really want

work etc. Interviews do such a lousy job in finding the right employees. It's just awful. Which is why I'm sticking to

dependant work.

I'm one of that 20% at the moment, been signing on for Jobseekers for around a month. Heading out later today to hand my CV in to a bunch of places that are supposed to be hiring.

I've had an Interview for every job I've had. Most ask you the same kind of question (What skills would you bring to this role? Give us an example of when you've worked as part of a team? etc etc). I normally think up a broad kind of answer before I go to it then just wing the rest of it when I'm there, which has worked all right for me.

Another thing that annoys me about applying for jobs is some companies have online application forms with a section full of inane morality questions that seem a bit too deep for a job putting food on shelves...

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I really dont enjoy interviews either, most of the jobs i have had have been based on my skillset (not my spelling) although the current job i have (Technical assistant to the most dumba** IT manager ever!) i had to have an interview for, i just hate the dumb questions.

one of the ones in this interview was

"if you were interviewing me, what you ask me right now?"

i was like wth, i know it was designed to make me think on my feet but all i could come up with was

"honestly, what are you really doing here?"

but on topic,

- just go be yourself,

- relax,

- dress smart even if the job doesnt dictate it e.g. if you apply to do an mechanics job dont turn up in ripped jeans a vest and rigger boots.

- arrive 10 minutes early and listen to what is going on around you

- be honest, nothing worse than lying about something you can do getting the job and then failing when they ask you to do what you said you could do but cant!

[hide=Stats & Goals]

teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

[/hide]

Feel Free To Add Me In Game I Love Talking To Anyone| Void Knight Justicar

99s In Order of Achievement: Fletching, Strength, Cooking]

I miss being unemployed.

Why? I hate the feeling of not having any form of structure in life. What good is being broke and bored?

You'll be in a Demotivational picture.

[hide]8e777abf-1a36-483d-8e13-a592be8bb94a-e1284359416870.jpg[/hide]

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Is this really something you'd have trouble answering?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Is this really something you'd have trouble answering?

The right way to answer this is by going: "Well I've not been convicted..."

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I miss being unemployed.

Why? I hate the feeling of not having any form of structure in life. What good is being broke and bored?

I was broke but I was never bored.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Don't like interviews. It's just an excuse to have more socialized people to qualify for instead of people who need work, or really want

work etc. Interviews do such a lousy job in finding the right employees. It's just awful. Which is why I'm sticking to

dependant work.

Erm, what job are you looking for that doesn't require skills displayed/communicated through an interview?

wl7w9j.png

dependant work.

Erm, what job are you looking for that doesn't require skills displayed/communicated through an interview?

Lots. Unless you're a social outcast that freezes up whenever someone talks to you, you can do lots of jobs with the communication skills you naturally grow up with.

Marketing, telecommunications, teacher, sales person, perhaps you need more skill... but accountant, architect, cashier, driver, construction worker, inventory, computer maintenance don't.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've had to hire a few people, and seriously. The first few tips I can offer is:

Be on time. There is nothing worse than a potential employee who is late.

Be well presented. Regardless of the job, dress smart. First impression's always last.

Be enthusiastic. You may not be the most out going person, but I expect to be able to have a two way conversation with you.

Tips for when applying for a job in the first place. If you are going into the establishment itself to contact the manager or to find out how to get a job. You might want to do a bit of research and depending on the company, when their busy periods are.

Working in hospitality, there is nothing worse than in the middle of our three hour lunch rush having someone:

a. Call up wanting to talk about a job.

b. Someone wanting to speak with you to the side of the store while 500+ people are waiting to be served.

Chances are if you do that to me I will throw your resume in the bin.

I've bolded tips, and underlined the most common question's I've come across in both interviews for jobs and ones I ask.

[hide=Questions]

· Could you tell me a bit about yourself?

Keep it professional. You can throw in a bit of personal information. But mostly I want to hear about what qualification's you've achieved, what you are currently doing (study) and also what you hope to achieve.

· How would you deal with a tricky customer?

· What do you know about our organisation?

Most times you can find out about these. Lying will only make the situation worse. But realistically, for me personally. As long as it didn't involve your previous workplace environment.

· Tell me about your ability to work under pressure.

· Tell me about a time when you settled a dispute.

· Why do you want to work for this organisation?

· Why are you interested in the position you are applying for?

· Do you think you are overqualified for the position you are applying for?

· Why did you leave your last job?

Remember that notice's of abandonment are made public at least in Australia. You're potential employers can find this information out. Be honest. Abandonment is when you either don't turn up for work and are terminated as a result. You walked out of shift (regardless of the reason) etc without sufficient notice.

· What have you learnt from your mistakes on the job?

· What irritates you about your co-workers?

· Tell me a problem you had with your previous supervisor.

· Why should we hire you?

· Do you have any questions for me?

I cannot stress this enough. Ask questions. Myself personally, I deliberately leave out a small bit of information to check that the person was listening. Just ask a few questions!

[/hide]

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Ah, just the reply I'm looking for. I realize that most of this is common sense, but hey, it's still important.

I think some of the questions I've listed are technically trap questions, which would require some caution in answering. Could you tell me how to answer "Tell me a problem you had with your previous supervisor", please?

Hmmm... it's a little late, I'll post again later

I've only ever got one of my 10-12 jobs through interview. I SUCK at interviews, everyone tells you to be honest etc. but that's usually why i miss a job lol.

I remember one job interview for Greggs they asked me why do you want to work here, so I was like I like interacting with customers, wanna see what it's like behind counter etc. the woman was like, no why specifically here?

I said, honestly I've applied for quite a lot of jobs, I wasn't specifically looking for this one, but for what I just said.

She was just like, oh.

I mean what person aspires to work at Greggs?

Anyway confidence is the key I think, good firm handshake. Smiles. [cabbage]ting lol!

Anyways Im set for work for the next 4 years so :shades:

edit: advice for anyone trying to find a job but with minimal experience, use a job agency!! you can end up wangling your way onto permanent staff if you work well. it also gives you something to write about on a CV.. and.. NO INTERVIEW :)

bon chance

• 6 months later...

I miss being unemployed.

I was broke but I was never bored.

This is how I feel, I've had on and off jobs for 2 years yet it's a simple pleasure to just drift about and do as you please. I've been through various phases but it always comes back to a strange feeling of satisfaction in being unemployed.

Broke, yes. Bored, f*** no.

If anyone is interested in a good job hunting reference book which includes some really good interview tips I can recommend "what colour is your parachute?"

I'm not particularly bouncy and sociable but I seem to do well in interviews. Including nailing an entry level job with over 3000 applicants for 40 or 50 spots. I put it down to good body language, planning ahead and bull [cabbage]ting skills.

Personally i think the best thing to do in a interview is to seem relaxed be confident in yourself but not too cocky,

don't dress up in a suit its all too cliche you really want to be smart casual and another thing make the people

interviewing you laugh during the interview it makes them remember you, remembering you after the interview

keeps them in mind when selecting the newest employee.

Good luck to all trying to find a job in such harsh times.