Job Interviews

Assume Nothing

Meh, I hate job interviews.

I've just never had great public speaking skills. I just have difficulty expressing my thoughts verbally sometimes, and generally feel awkward if I'm forced to speak in a situation where I am not comfortable.

This means that for formal job interviews I tend to perform very poorly. I particularly hate it when I have to answer how I'd respond to a made up situation, giving examples of stuff I've done in the past that would make me a good employee, etc.

However, when the interviewer is more casual, I actually do pretty well. I've had a few where the interviewer just asked me questions about my interests, about school, about why I need the job, etc. I didn't have to really do much other than answer truthfully and smile a lot. Wasn't put on the spot with stupid questions that don't relate to the job.

Unfortunately these types of interviews are always the ones for minimum wage jobs with no qualifications needed, where they're more or less giving the job to whoever they think will be most tolerable to work with.

It probably helps to be the only person who isn't a high school dropout applying I suppose :P