Giant Earthquake hits Japan

pennywise

Man, I feel really bad for those people. :unsure: It sucks to

have a very advanced country to suffer more than 20% of all major earthquakes.

Does it suck less when it's a "less advanced" country?

Hope the death toll stays pretty low...they're saying it's in the 40's at the moment.

http://bajansunonline.com/japan-earthquake-live-200-to-300-bodies-found-in-sendai/

It's getting worse as time goes on. A tsunami is supposedly hitting Hawaii now as well.

hzvjpwS.gif

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the death toll stays pretty low...they're saying it's in the 40's at the moment.

http://bajansunonline.com/japan-earthquake-live-200-to-300-bodies-found-in-sendai/

It's getting worse as time goes on. A tsunami is supposedly hitting Hawaii now as well.

Initial surge is/was one metre -- they're predicting possible larger waves to hit Hawaii and still larger waves to hit the North American west coast ...

:unsure:

Edit:

BBC News

Edit:

OMG - the live coverage from BBC is freakin' scary!

Edit:

One funny note: the volume control of the BBC video goes up to "11" - (Spinal Tap reference).

nyuseg.png

this is bad, my tutor showed me this this morning in school. good luck to all Japanese people in surviving. :-(

I just feel lucky that i'm not going to be hit tsunami :-o

220px-TurtleOmaha.jpg

It's times like this that I'm glad I'm in Singapore, safe from waves and stuff, with all those other countries around to buffer us.

The nuclear reactor thing sounds really, really bad.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the US Air Force in Japan has transported coolant to the plant. Officials say the facility should be back to normal soon.

It also seems unlikely that the tsunami will cause any major damage to other countries due to it being small when it's hit land so far. Japan is still being hit by aftershocks measuring between 4 and 5 on the Richter Scale though.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

My thoughts go out to anybody effected.

Some of the videos are very disturbing to watch, such large amounts of debris, houses, boats and cars being swept away. Nobody in it would be likely to survive.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the US Air Force in Japan has transported coolant to the plant. Officials say the facility should be back to normal soon.

It also seems unlikely that the tsunami will cause any major damage to other countries due to it being small when it's hit land so far. Japan is still being hit by aftershocks measuring between 4 and 5 on the Richter Scale though.

Its fortunate no other areas will be greatly impacted by the event. Hawaii and other Pacific islands are expecting increased waves around the 1-5 feet mark continuing throughout the next few days due to aftershocks.

It was estimated that the waves impacting Japan near the point of origin were over 10 meters (~30 feet) high. I have a feeling the death-toll is going to quickly rise into the thousands.

This sucks.

It will probably be brought up in my Japanese class today.

I hope everyone is okay.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Wow. Just when you thought mother nature couldn't have said "[bleep] YOU" loud enough, she sends in water with fire floating on it.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Not looking good for the Nuclear Plant, they're talking about releasing radioactive steam to relieve the build up of pressure and Japan has been hit by another earthquake thought not to be an aftershock which measured 6.6 :ohnoes:

Apparently the tsunami has done around $2m worth of damage to the west coast of America as well.

On a related note, the 8.9 earthquake shifted the Earth's axis by around 10 inches (25cm).

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

The buildings just wiggled it out....incredible.

Admittedly it has lesser economic repercussions on other countries, but your point still stands.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I posted earlier. I know it went bad for Haiti since they suffered heavy casualties

but it's not like Haiti wasn't any recognizable country to the world until the "earthquake" happened.

Saw it on the news this morning. Pretty crazy stuff. Hope they'll all be OK.

They've survived Godzilla, giant moths, and Tentacle Rape Monsters from Hell.

Of course they'll be fine.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Admittedly it has lesser economic repercussions on other countries, but your point still stands.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I posted earlier. I know it went bad for Haiti since they suffered heavy casualties

but it's not like Haiti wasn't any recognizable country to the world until the "earthquake" happened.

So because they aren't a recognizable country it's somehow less of a tragedy? Also, what's with the quotes around earthquake?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Wow, with all the threats from tsunamis to godzilla being more common around japan, an earthquake is the least-expected one to hit there. Gonna be interesting to see what happens, seeing as the last time the un helped japan was 1971...

div>

I wonder how many Godzilla jokes are going to be made..

I can only assume that Japan is going to recover without much problem as I'm sure they have the resources but my only concern is how much this could potentially cost Americans as we help Japan recover from this disaster.

tFtfA.jpg

[hide]

So because they aren't a recognizable country it's somehow less of a tragedy? Also, what's with the quotes around earthquake?

[/hide]

I have no idea. My guess is that it's the only earthquake I know that happened in Haiti (let alone the Caribbeans) so maybe I felt like

putting some punctuation in it to make it umm...idk, clear? Also, I never said anything about something like "oh, the country

is dirt poor so that must mean that a 7.1 mag. earthquake on Haiti doesn't mean [cabbage] to us". Please stop taking my posts

so personally because tbh, it's annoying the crap outta me. :rolleyes:

Stop trolling. You really did nothing but annoy me with that post. The loss of a human life is tragic no matter how you cut it.

This is what I'm getting at.

I think it's unquestionably and ridiculously selfish to imply or directly state that it's less of a tragedy when it happens in a third world country. Quotation marks are generally used to imply pseudo, or quasi. I don't think it's fair to say what happened in Haiti was something other than a serious earthquake.

Now, if that wasn't what you were implying, I apologize...but seeing as you haven't denied that I guess I'm justified in assuming that was exactly what you meant.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

There are rumors that the creator of Pokemon, Satoshi Tajiri, died today. Seems trivial since 1) it's simply a rumor 2) hundreds of others have died today, but it's interesting to note. Still waiting for confirmation, since Nintendo released a statement earlier today that everyone was alright in their teams.

hzvjpwS.gif