Giant Earthquake hits Japan

pennywise

Japan must be one of the most prepared countries in the world for a big earthquake so that probaly saved them a lot, still this is pretty bad, can't imagine that 'only' 500 people died like wikipedia is telling me, I expect many more :-|

Doomy edit: I like sheep

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.upload.ee/image/1187821/129991845633.jpg

sup Americans

Japan must be one of the most prepared countries in the world for a big earthquake so that probaly saved them a lot, still this is pretty bad, can't imagine that 'only' 500 people died like wikipedia is telling me, I expect many more :-|

At least 1200 have died

A_Kekek.png

My grandparents live in Chiba, which is right next to Tokyo. We can't reach them.

i have friends who live in chiba. still no luck on getting ahold of them. i hope your grandparents are ok. Japan will be in my prayers for awhile.

bigdog1470.png

That basically just destroyed whatever little faith in humanity I had left...

Apparently the explosion was real but it didn't affect the reactor in any way.

Wow, America really does hold a grudge? I can't imagine British people for example having that kind of reaction at all in the case of a massive disaster in Germany. Also, some real idiots on there, one seemed to think Japan started WW2. I didn't lose my faith in humanity, just America.

On this whole topic of where earthquakes hit and the like, in a way it's lucky the quake hit Japan and not another country. Japan is one of, if not the most prepared country for earthquakes on the planet. An earthquake of this magnitude would have levelled most other countries well before the tsunami struck. I'm massively surprised just how low the death count is so far.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Watching the video shot over the past day are very shocking. My thoughts go out to everyone effected in Japan, and to those with family members.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

These facebook posts I've been seeing about how this is karma for Pearl Harbor seriously depresses me as an American.

But seriously, people like this:

That think all of the US thinks this way, is just as bad. :thumbdown:

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

These facebook posts I've been seeing about how this is karma for Pearl Harbor seriously depresses me as an American.

But seriously, people like this:

This.

I was actually curious and logged on Facebook for the first time in ages. No one's said anything negative about the Japanese.

Sounds like someone just had a bunch of hicks.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Wow, America really does hold a grudge? I can't imagine British people for example having that kind of reaction at all in the case of a massive disaster in Germany. Also, some real idiots on there, one seemed to think Japan started WW2. I didn't lose my faith in humanity, just America.

On this whole topic of where earthquakes hit and the like, in a way it's lucky the quake hit Japan and not another country. Japan is one of, if not the most prepared country for earthquakes on the planet. An earthquake of this magnitude would have levelled most other countries well before the tsunami struck. I'm massively surprised just how low the death count is so far.

There were about 60 posts in that image. The US population is over 300,000,000. So, after seeing what .00002% of the population has to say, you've already lost faith in America?

Pixeloaded.jpg

Stop trolling. You really did nothing but annoy me with that post. The loss of a human life is tragic no matter how you cut it.

This is what I'm getting at.

I think it's unquestionably and ridiculously selfish to imply or directly state that it's less of a tragedy when it happens in a third world country. Quotation marks are generally used to imply pseudo, or quasi. I don't think it's fair to say what happened in Haiti was something other than a serious earthquake.

Now, if that wasn't what you were implying, I apologize...but seeing as you haven't denied that I guess I'm justified in assuming that was exactly what you meant.

The earthquake in Haiti caused major damage, but it was not particularly large - Haiti's lack of regulations and building codes caused the 300,000 or so deaths, not the earthquake (the northridge quake was of similar size, and even before today's very strict earthquake codes in California only 30 people died there). Further, the earthquake in Japan was some 1,000 times more powerful then the Haiti disaster.

Stop trolling. You really did nothing but annoy me with that post. The loss of a human life is tragic no matter how you cut it.

This is what I'm getting at.

I think it's unquestionably and ridiculously selfish to imply or directly state that it's less of a tragedy when it happens in a third world country. Quotation marks are generally used to imply pseudo, or quasi. I don't think it's fair to say what happened in Haiti was something other than a serious earthquake.

Now, if that wasn't what you were implying, I apologize...but seeing as you haven't denied that I guess I'm justified in assuming that was exactly what you meant.

The earthquake in Haiti caused major damage, but it was not particularly large - Haiti's lack of regulations and building codes caused the 300,000 or so deaths, not the earthquake (the northridge quake was of similar size, and even before today's very strict earthquake codes in California only 30 people died there). Further, the earthquake in Japan was some 1,000 times more powerful then the Haiti disaster.

But it was still an earthquake, and a catastrophic one at that, which was my point.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

There were about 60 posts in that image. The US population is over 300,000,000. So, after seeing what .00002% of the population has to say, you've already lost faith in America?

And what about the people who didn't post? There could be a lot more than just 60 people, but I see what you're getting.

Of course there are more than 60 people that feel that way.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

It makes me lose my faith in humanity that some people could feel that way. I'm sure it's not just americans, but I think it's sad that anyone would say stuff like that.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

And what about the people who didn't post? There could be a lot more than just 60 people, but I see what you're getting.

I'm sure there are a lot more than 60 Americans who feel that way. The point is, we don't know what that number is. We can't go basing our opinions of an entire country off of what 60 random people post on Facebook. If I find 61 American Facebook posts that offer prayers and condolences to the Japanese people, would that suddenly make a difference?

Pixeloaded.jpg

I find it interesting some of us are more interested in the people who believe the Japanese deserved this tragedy then the actual quake and potential danger these Nuclear reactors have if they fully meltdown. It's really scary to think about on both a local and global scale.

tFtfA.jpg

Agreed. I don't think like that. I do realise that USA is a big country and lots of different people live there. My post was a bit provocative because I wanted it to cause discussion. But it's a fact that there are a huge number of people in the states who think that USA is the world police.

A_Kekek.png

To be fair, the americans have been doing a lot of 'cowboy-ish' things lately. They sent troops into iraq/afghanistan (invaded), and since then have used that as an excuse to lend no troops to the UN's effort. Americans, step aside. When it comes to world policing, the movie should be called 'team canada world police'.

div>

While there are people in America who are generally knowledgeable about the world and not anti-intellectual, blindly nationalistic, and pathetic...the right wing in America beats the right wing anywhere else in the world in terms of how pathetic it is.

People often talk about how our education system lags behind the rest of the world, and there are certain reasons why this could be the case; e.g. funding and poverty. However, after reading more about South Korea's system, I think there's something no amount of funding can fix, and that's our anti-intellectual culture that hates teachers mixed with our unbridled nationalism.

So yeah, these are just a few idiots in America, and it would indeed be wrong to extrapolate their disgusting words to represent my country as a whole. But let's face it. The problem is that not just America but most govt. propaganda is aimed at promoting hate culture - the longer people continue hating the longer the people in power can get away with crimes against nations in their self-interest. It is paranoia, "us against the world," combined with "America, [bleep] yeah." This is why I hate American patriotism more than any other.

Back on the topic at hand:

The No. 3 reactor at the plant, 150 miles north of Tokyo, is one of six reactors to have experienced cooling problems.

Officials in Tokyo said they had started filling the No. 3 reactors casing with water and boric acid in an attempt to prevent it from reaching critical stages. They took similar measures with the No. 1 reactor at the same plant on Saturday.

Screening centers were being set up on Sunday for people worried about exposure. Around 140,000 people had left the area, while authorities prepared to distribute iodine to protect people from radioactive exposure.

At least 22 people are known to have been exposed to radiation and were being treated in hospital, but Japans nuclear and industrial safety agency said that as many as 160 people may have been exposed.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2011/0313/Japan-earthquake-Authorities-race-to-avert-nuclear-crisis-at-second-reactor

And Japanese ministers ignored reactor safety warnings:

The timing of the near nuclear disaster at Fukushima Daiichi could not have been more appropriate. In only a few weeks the world will mark the 25th anniversary of the worst nuclear plant disaster ever to affect our planet at Chernobyl in Ukraine. A major core meltdown released a deadly cloud of radioactive material over Europe and gave the name Chernobyl a terrible resonance.

This weekend it is clear that the name Fukushima came perilously close to achieving a similar notoriety. However, the real embarrassment for the Japanese government is not so much the nature of the accident but the fact it was warned long ago about the risks it faced in building nuclear plants in areas of intense seismic activity. Several years ago, the seismologist Ishibashi Katsuhiko stated, specifically, that such an accident was highly likely to occur. Nuclear power plants in Japan have a "fundamental vulnerability" to major earthquakes, Katsuhiko said in 2007. The government, the power industry and the academic community had seriously underestimated the potential risks posed by major quakes.

Katsuhiko, who is professor of urban safety at Kobe University, has highlighted three incidents at reactors between 2005 and 2007. Atomic plants at Onagawa, Shika and Kashiwazaki-Kariwa were all struck by earthquakes that triggered tremors stronger than those to which the reactor had been designed to survive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/japan-ministers-ignored-warnings-nuclear