Mac or PC?

egyptqueen1

Are you already in college, or is this going to be for college? Because some colleges have specific laptops that they'll sell to you, or they may require that you get/don't get an Apple laptop.

I'd suggest PC because you should be able to get something that you need for a lot cheaper, and tbh you aren't really asking for much in your laptop.

Apple products will be far less likely to get infected, but if you choose to use Linux (as Rob suggested), then you'll probably be fine as well.

Linux OS will require more research though. It seems pretty cool, but I've only played with it for a little bit. I doubt it'll be very compatible with college/most programs though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Adam This is going to be for college, I'm hoping to be majoring in biology so idk if that has a specific computer.

@Rob my current laptop is ubuntu but the laptop was found in a dumpster and installed with linux. it's kinda crappy.

sigforwol.jpg

It might be because it's an older version of Ubuntu, or you hardware isn't too good. But if you don't like it, I won't push it, it can be quite a pain at times.

- A graphic artist who can't figure out how to run OSX on a PC

Why would I need OSX for graphic design...

To the OP I would get a PC laptop, especially if you're on a budget. The only thing that Mac users can really argue is for the build quality of macbooks. That aside they have the same exact parts inside as windows-based laptops do. If you treat your laptop well anyways build quality should not be that large of a concern, and companies such as Acer have solid build quality anyways.

In my opinion, buying a computer is a lot like buying a house. When on the market, you aren't just going to look at one aspect; it's not just about the square footage. Rather, you have to look at what and when it was built, what it's furnished with, and the kind of neighbors you get. Given that, hardware is not everything. It's well known that Apple does not deliver the same specs as a similarly priced PC.

In my case, I switched from Windows to OS X because I was not content with the OS and the support I was receiving (Dell). For me, Apple struck gold there.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Best customer support comes from building your own computer. Not only will you have the knowledge to fix some problems yourself, I find part manufacturers and sites like Newegg are far easier to deal with than OEMs.

Apple service dealers can be an occasional exception. My friend has a MBP with a warranty on it. The video card messed up and all he did was bring it in to them and explained the issue. Within 2 days, it was fixed, no questions asked.

Furthermore, it's a lot more difficult to build a laptop from scratch and choose exactly what components you want in it.

Back OT, given what you want to do, take this analogy:

A Ferrari is a great, sexy, powerful car, but if all you're doing in driving in the city, then a Honda Civic should also suffice.

Macs are great looking and can perform very well, but if you're on a budget and can make do with less then consider that as well.

buy a mac book it had less issues than as compare to a PC

Absolutely not. They have issues too. Just not as often as they all have the same hardware, which means the same drivers. If you had trouble with your windows based computer before, that's either because you had bad drivers or had a computer of a bad brand like Dell or HP. I've never had any issues with the computer I built myself and put Windows/Ubuntu on it, and I have never had any issues with my Asus laptop. I had a lot of issues in the past with my HP computer though until I installed Vista on it.

Obviously everyone in here who said PC does not own a mac or is not smart enough to realize the obvious...

GET A MAC, DOWNLOAD WINDOWS,

BAM!

You now have windows and mac OS X on your mac!

Why?

You can use windows for the things mac doesnt support, and use mac when not busy to learn the OS and what not.

blitz_em_out.png

Obviously everyone in here who said PC does not own a mac or is not smart enough to realize the obvious...

BAM!

Why?

You can use windows for the things mac doesnt support, and use mac when not busy to learn the OS and what not.

But you still end up paying double the money you need to...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

BAM!

Why?

Exactly. I look at it this way, I could not live without my Mac, and life without my windows computer would be much more expensive.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

BAM!

Why?

That's even worse. You're taking away the only benefit that macbooks have, being that they are optimized for OSx.

That's even worse. You're taking away the only benefit that macbooks have, being that they are optimized for OSx.

You've got it the wrong way around, actually- OS X is "optimized for" (Locked into) the hardware. For example, OS X 10.6.5 or so and later will not run on Intel Atom processors without a patch, to make it more difficult to run OS X on a netbook.

C2b6gs7.png

I have to admit many people ihave good points. It does seem that you pay more for the mac hardware than for the pc laptops. Although if you take into account other features of the laptop that are not as obvious and compare them with any PC laptop with the same features you are getting into the same price range. A couple that come to mind right away that I never thought much of when I first bought my macbook pro are the light up keyboard, led screen, and optical audio output. These may not be important to you but being a student myself I find the keyboard extremely useful. The others you may not care much about. The battery life difference between the windows and mac OS is huge, when running windows through bootcamp the laptop got about the same lifetime as any other pc based laptop but when running OSX it was nearly doubled. If you want battery life the macbook pro is great(unless you want multiple batteries, the macbook pro is internal). I'm not trying to be a mac fanboy here I'm just saying I don't think I could go back to a pc based laptop with the advantages I find with the macbook. The office suite for mac isn't the best but it is much more compatible than the iworks suite. I'd get a macbook pro again anyday for school.

With my pro mac rant finished I'd like to add I could not live without my windows based pc either. There are some programs which I like to use on the pc that are not available for the mac and I also find that the overall productivity is increased. Mostly for multi tasking and having multiple programs and windows opened. With that said I have a windows based desktop at home running triple monitors, 2x24" and a 19". I personally would not go to a mac desktop.

I am pro pc and mac but it depends on your needs and budget. I found my pc laptops didn't last as long either, but my almost 2 year old macbook pro runs like new and hasn't seemed to slow like the windows based ones did.

I have to admit many people ihave good points. It does seem that you pay more for the mac hardware than for the pc laptops. Although if you take into account other features of the laptop that are not as obvious and compare them with any PC laptop with the same features you are getting into the same price range. A couple that come to mind right away that I never thought much of when I first bought my macbook pro are the light up keyboard, led screen, and optical audio output. These may not be important to you but being a student myself I find the keyboard extremely useful. The others you may not care much about. The battery life difference between the windows and mac OS is huge, when running windows through bootcamp the laptop got about the same lifetime as any other pc based laptop but when running OSX it was nearly doubled. If you want battery life the macbook pro is great(unless you want multiple batteries, the macbook pro is internal). I'm not trying to be a mac fanboy here I'm just saying I don't think I could go back to a pc based laptop with the advantages I find with the macbook. The office suite for mac isn't the best but it is much more compatible than the iworks suite. I'd get a macbook pro again anyday for school.

With my pro mac rant finished I'd like to add I could not live without my windows based pc either. There are some programs which I like to use on the pc that are not available for the mac and I also find that the overall productivity is increased. Mostly for multi tasking and having multiple programs and windows opened. With that said I have a windows based desktop at home running triple monitors, 2x24" and a 19". I personally would not go to a mac desktop.

I am pro pc and mac but it depends on your needs and budget. I found my pc laptops didn't last as long either, but my almost 2 year old macbook pro runs like new and hasn't seemed to slow like the windows based ones did.

PC based? I would think you are a mac fanboy the way you wrote it.

My Windows Based Asus laptop that is 3 years old still runs like new, even the battery still lasts almost as long as new. Just depends on the brand you go for. LED screens are also available on some Windows based laptops. If you had a bad brand of laptop like Dell or the older HP, or Acer or a lot of the brands that make their computers with cheap parts, it's sure that you will love the Mac laptop. For the lit keyboard, I don't care about those things because I don't need to look at my keyboard to write, even if there is no lights around.

It all comes to personal preference, in which case you prefer mac for laptop but a Windows based brand for Desktop. Also for the Office suite, there is LibreOffice that also has a version for Macs.

I am far from a mac fanboy, I prefer to use my windows desktop if I have the choice. To get a comparable laptop with the same features as the macbooks you're looking at over 1k. There's no other way to look at it. The keyboard is not important to all but may be for some. I didn't even think about it until I had a laptop with it on there. I refered to my desktop as being pc based because it is not a brand name computer, it was custom built for my liking. I also find it hard to believe that the battery is as good as new after 3 years. I am yet to find a battery that does not display loss over time. Although if you use your laptop primarily plugged in then you're not going through charge cycles. I'm not trying to get into an argument over which one is better. I'm simply stating the experiences I've had with both. If I was to purchase another windows laptop I would look into Asus or Alienware.

My entire response was based for someone attending University. When I look around any lecture theatre at school it is obvious which is prefered among students. Since the Unibody Macbook Pro was released it is taking over. As you look around some more the people running windows are always trying to find that one spot with the plug in so they can make it through the lecture without a dead battery. Yet people running OSX don't seem to care where they sit. It's not necessarily the hardware between windows and mac laptops but the OS they are running.

Wow, sounds like it's still kinda unsure for me. If it helps i'm wanting to major in biology so i'm not sure what that entails.

I'm thinking of getting a mac and just installing windows and linux (i think my brother has a copy of windows somewhere)

as far as virus protection i heard that a lot of windows don't come with good scanners (My bf was kinda stupid with his vista and felt he didn't need one, derp)

I was wondering if Macs came with any specific virus scanning software. I currently use Trend Micro and AVG (two separate computers that are owned by my parents).

Would both be easily downloaded onto mac and pc? i'm wondering b/c i have had a couple of email hacks (i have no idea how it keeps happening) but i'm thinking it might be a school computer. (i have since just started bringing the crappy linux run old old ubuntu on a dell computer found in a dumpster ha ha)

thoughts?

sigforwol.jpg