15-Mar-2011 - Ring of Wealth, Shanties, Trolls and Dungeoneering

Michael

Vanilla WoW was very grind heavy, and Blizzard notice more players started up when they got rid of the grinds and made the game easier.

Jagex is embracing that with slayer monsters dropping 100's of herbs as random drops and adding new and faster training methods

True, albeit humorous that RS is 10+ years old and first picking up on things now :thumbup:

I even recall a time period where updates were made to make the game even MORE monotonous, tedious and painstaking in the form of the fatigue update and random events every couple of minutes. :mrgreen:

Oh well, better late than never.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have chat filter on, glowing message won't appear :)

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

So they can make familiars run but they can't make them show on the top ... (try to guess which one is your Graahk)

select interact for left click button action...

instead of closing bank on 'x' just close on summon button near mini-map

Omg thank you.

I personally see them taking many of their game mechanics and trying to make them more WoW-like. I think they seriously wish their game was WoW in the way people play it obsessively and for hours at a time.

Bad idea, WoW clones never end up doing well. They should be trying to distinguish themselves from WoW (Resulting a substitute good) rather than trying to be like them (Resulting in an inferior good).

Agreed with the Malzra dude, I've played WoW before and can already see a lot of similarities in recent runescape updates. Bonus Xp Weekend(bonus honor weekend in WoW). Nex Multi-Phase fight(Raids anyone?). Grand Exchange(Auction House? Although it's still kinda different but same idea). There's probably a bunch of other stuff too that I forgot to mention, but those were the main ones off the top of my head. Hard to say if being like wow is a good thing, personally I wouldn't think it's so bad. I think multi-phase bosses will be the future of runescape bosses, and if they do add such bosses I could see some of the mechanics coming from or being similar to WoW.

I personally see them taking many of their game mechanics and trying to make them more WoW-like. I think they seriously wish their game was WoW in the way people play it obsessively and for hours at a time.

Bad idea, WoW clones never end up doing well. They should be trying to distinguish themselves from WoW (Resulting a substitute good) rather than trying to be like them (Resulting in an inferior good).

Agreed with the Malzra dude, I've played WoW before and can already see a lot of similarities in recent runescape updates. Bonus Xp Weekend(bonus honor weekend in WoW). Nex Multi-Phase fight(Raids anyone?). Grand Exchange(Auction House? Although it's still kinda different but same idea). There's probably a bunch of other stuff too that I forgot to mention, but those were the main ones off the top of my head. Hard to say if being like wow is a good thing, personally I wouldn't think it's so bad. I think multi-phase bosses will be the future of runescape bosses, and if they do add such bosses I could see some of the mechanics coming from or being similar to WoW.

That doesn't answer my point that if runescape tries to be more WoW-like then it'll have to compare directly to it (As opposed to a more indirect comparison currently), which is a BAD buisness strategy; JaGeX cannot compete with Blizzard.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

That doesn't answer my point that if runescape tries to be more WoW-like then it'll have to compare directly to it (As opposed to a more indirect comparison currently), which is a BAD buisness strategy; JaGeX cannot compete with Blizzard.

RS is a point-and-click 3rd person view game. Implementing certain aspects such as the ones mentioned in this thread won't bring RS anywhere near WoW, much less make RS a WoW clone.

Well since both games are MMORPGs, technically they already are being directly compared to and competing with each other. Potential gamers will weigh the pros and cons of each and figure out what they wanna play, e.g membership costs, graphics etc. The point I was trying to make was that borrowing some of WoW's ideas would most likely make runescape more fun. Did any of the ideas I mentioned that are similar to WoW negatively impact runescape? I think a lot of people enjoyed Nex and the Grand Exchange, don't you? The two games have such different mechanics already in terms of gameplay, and borrowing some of WoW's ideas wouldn't suddenly transform runescape into WoW.

Well since both games are MMORPGs, technically they already are being directly compared to and competing with each other. Potential gamers will weigh the pros and cons of each and figure out what they wanna play, e.g membership costs, graphics etc. The point I was trying to make was that borrowing some of WoW's ideas would most likely make runescape more fun. Did any of the ideas I mentioned that are similar to WoW negatively impact runescape? I think a lot of people enjoyed Nex and the Grand Exchange, don't you? The two games have such different mechanics already in terms of gameplay, and borrowing some of WoW's ideas wouldn't suddenly transform runescape into WoW.

Runescape can hardly be considered an MMORPG. The vast majority of the gameplay is done completely alone. It really is more of a single player game with the added bonus of being able to talk to people in clan chats and private messages. Only recently have there been true multiplayer activities such as dungeoneering and Nex.

Also, Nex can't be compared to WoW's raids as she is frankly much simpler than most of WoW's bosses. And the Auction House and the Grand Exchange work very, very differently. But yeah, no matter what Jagex does, Runescape can't make itself a WoW clone.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Runescape can hardly be considered an MMORPG. The vast majority of the gameplay is done completely alone. It really is more of a single player game with the added bonus of being able to talk to people in clan chats and private messages. Only recently have there been true multiplayer activities such as dungeoneering and Nex.

Just because you can do stuff alone....doesn't change the fact that it's an MMORPG.

The second some random person appears on your screen, your statement is proven false.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Also, Nex can't be compared to WoW's raids as she is frankly much simpler than most of WoW's bosses. And the Auction House and the Grand Exchange work very, very differently. But yeah, no matter what Jagex does, Runescape can't make itself a WoW clone.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then, in that I think runescape is an MMORPG whereas you think it isn't. I think the fact that the slogan of runescape, "World's most popular Free MMORPG", is in big letters on the homepage for a reason. Also notice that I never said the GE or other such examples are exactly the same as WoWs, I said they're similar. Nex may be simpler than most of WoWs bosses, but the fact that it's one of the hardest bosses in runescape currently says something. I used Nex as a comparison to WoW's bosses simply because she is a multi-phase fight, and I think this is where the future of Runescape bosses lies. In my mind this would be the best way to make bosses more complex and challenging than the simple attack-eat food, repot tactics. Thankfully we don't have the need for dedicated tanks, healers, in addition to DPS for bosses. All you need to do is DPS and bring your own food. But even here, you can see that Jagex has tried to use the idea of class roles e.g tanks in dungeoneering.

I lol'd hard at someone trying to claim runescape isn't a mmorpg.

you can play ANY mmorpg alone.

The dfining features that make a game mmorpg are as follows:

1) its an rpg

2) Its played in worlds hosted online on various servers.

3) When playing the world its not jsut you and the computer-generated npcs. There are other people, real people, there whether you chose to interact with them or not.

Also runescape has just as many obsessive players as WoW in the first place which renders the point that began the debate flawed, the idea of trying to become a clone is flawed though since all mmorpgs wokr with roughly the same mechanics anyway; updates to each are bound to have some overlap from time to time.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I just picked a random post about this topic so it isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

People are obviously either forgetting or are blissfully ignorant to the fact that WoW didn't create or pioneer any of these things.

Auction houses or player owned shops in MMO's are not new concepts at all. FFXI has an auction house that works pretty well as far as I can remember. PoS's are pretty common as well, there's a system for it in Phantasy Star Universe.

Multi-phase boss fights or dungeon raids are also found in FFXI. Pretty much every MMO I have ever played has had some form of event that has given players increased exp or drop rates, so that isn't new either.

MMORPG games are a genre of video game there's obviously going to be some overlapping somewhere, nobody accuses FPS's for copying each other even though 99% of them are carbon copies of each other.

Sylpheed.png

Well we've established you have no idea what an MMO is.

Also, I've never seen Runescape as a direct competitor to World of Warcraft. Rather than try to copy and paste features, they take them and reshape them into something that works with the concept and frame of the game.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png