Is it time to raise the level caps?

buffrichie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive growth for the game should include other things besides more grinding, so nty.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

YES! It's long overdue, especially given all the 100+ obstacles in dung. Quite frankly, 99s are incredibly fast & easy to get now so they've kinda lost their value. It's much nicer when you have things to stride for.

Positive growth for the game should include other things besides more grinding, so nty.

All content ultimately leads to grinding >_> Only exceptions are minigames, which aren't as popular as main content (except for minigame skill dungeoneering, but only because that's a skill)

YES! It's long overdue, especially given all the 100+ obstacles in dung. Quite frankly, 99s are incredibly fast & easy to get now so they've kinda lost their value. It's much nicer when you have things to stride for.

All content ultimately leads to grinding >_> Only exceptions are minigames, which aren't as popular as main content (except for minigame skill dungeoneering, but only because that's a skill)

you can still grind minigames (do them over and over)

Unfortunately, I think this will be inevitable as more and more players max out and Jagex attempts to keep them interested. The alternative would be to release new skills or skill-like content yearly at a minimum and probably more often.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

I believe it is time for the level caps to be raised.

The amount of xp required for 99 now, doesn't even come close to what that amount of xp meant 5-6 years ago. For instance:

On my first rs account 2001-2005, I maxed out melee training at ogres under the druid tower near ardouge. Xp rate there was 30-50k/hour (used a dlong, d scim/whip wasnt in)

On my main account now, melee xp (semi afk mind you) is up to 100k/hour.

Now meele perhaps isnt the best example. For those who played 5+ years ago, stop and think at what high level stuff has been introduced and how training methods have changed in that time, most importantly how xp rates have changed.

Getting a 99 these days, pales in comparison to the TIME it took when there werent crazy xp rates available.

Especially for those at the higher end of the total/cash spectrum, this certainly needs to be implemented in some form.

Winarr.png

I think it should still be a few more years untill this happens. After all some skills still have some pretty low xp/ph and lots of space for more content. Really I hope they somehow revamp skilling soon because I feel skillers still need some place in this game.

YES! It's long overdue, especially given all the 100+ obstacles in dung.

the reason for 100+ doors in ding is so that herblore has a use.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

No, this is not even close to being needed.

At the time of writing, there are 301 maxed players in all of Runescape. I can't be bothered to look it up, but I believe that another thread had figures showing there are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8 million at least semi-active Runescape accounts (including F2P of course). Even if we only look at the 2 million listed in the high scores, that means raising the level cap would be catering to 301/2,000,000 = 0.015% of players. These are the only players who can even begin to claim that they've exhausted the existing content in Runescape, and of course this doesn't consider the many possible minigame goals - just as one example, getting the high-level Castle Wars armour is no small undertaking.

If you are not maxed but you want more high-level content anyway - what reason is there exactly to make it above level 99? We have plenty of skills which need to be revised even at low levels, such as smithing, before Jagex should even begin to worry about adding level 100+ content. Once everything's in good shape at the levels which the majority of players can actually play, then they can take the time to ensure there's room for growth at the top. I would guess this should happen five or more years from now, at the earliest.

Additionally, arguments about how experience rates are now 2x faster don't justify an 8x increase in the amount of experience which has practical use. Maxing should be a very difficult, but at least potentially achievable goal. If maxing takes 2.5 billion+ experience, Runescape would become a game that is essentially impossible to "complete". Only one player even has that much experience after 10 years of Runescape running, and much of it is in easy/quick skills rather than distributed among the harder ones as 120 maxing would require.

If anyone has a figure worked out from the 200M all skills thread for how many hours it would take to reach 200M all skills, that would be helpful. In this case, it would take half that amount of time to achieve 120 maxed status. Bear in mind that around 2,000 hours is equivalent to working a full-time job for a year, and I'm pretty sure the 200M all figure was well over 10,000 hours....

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

At the time of writing, there are 301 maxed players in all of Runescape. I can't be bothered to look it up, but I believe that another thread had figures showing there are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 8 million at least semi-active Runescape accounts (including F2P of course). Even if we only look at the 2 million listed in the high scores, that means raising the level cap would be catering to 301/2,000,000 = 0.015% of players. These are the only players who can even begin to claim that they've exhausted the existing content in Runescape, and of course this doesn't consider the many possible minigame goals - just as one example, getting the high-level Castle Wars armour is no small undertaking.

If you are not maxed but you want more high-level content anyway - what reason is there exactly to make it above level 99? We have plenty of skills which need to be revised even at low levels, such as smithing, before Jagex should even begin to worry about adding level 100+ content. Once everything's in good shape at the levels which the majority of players can actually play, then they can take the time to ensure there's room for growth at the top. I would guess this should happen five or more years from now, at the earliest.

Additionally, arguments about how experience rates are now 2x faster don't justify an 8x increase in the amount of experience which has practical use. Maxing should be a very difficult, but at least potentially achievable goal. If maxing takes 2.5 billion+ experience, Runescape would become a game that is essentially impossible to "complete". Only one player even has that much experience after 10 years of Runescape running, and much of it is in easy/quick skills rather than distributed among the harder ones as 120 maxing would require.

If anyone has a figure worked out from the 200M all skills thread for how many hours it would take to reach 200M all skills, that would be helpful. In this case, it would take half that amount of time to achieve 120 maxed status. Bear in mind that around 2,000 hours is equivalent to working a full-time job for a year, and I'm pretty sure the 200M all figure was well over 10,000 hours....

Ahaha man I really like your last sentence, but in all honesty if you think about it, for those people Runescape is their job.

This.

There is no need to cater the "top) 0.0X% of players. Effectively, there is little need whatsoever. Also, there needs to be 99+ content, and as far as weapons are concerned they'd be VERY powerful and imbalance the game.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

"We dont plan to raise any other skills from 99 to 120" Mod Mark

yay ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

yay ^_^

they didn't plan to put back wildy, yay ^_^ oh wait...

but w/e they first need to fix up the skills before getting them 120, why should we have 120fm when 99fm is already useless, same for more skills. If all skills are usefull and have high level content THEN they could CONSIDER to make the max 120. Altough I don't see that happen in the next 2-3 years...

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Dungeoneering isn't a skill, it is a big minigame with ranks.

DG is as much of a skill as mobilizing armies is a skill.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

"We don’t plan to raise any other skills from 99 to 120" Mod Mark

yay ^_^

1.)they didn't plan to put back wildy, yay ^_^ oh wait...

2.)but w/e they first need to fix up the skills before getting them 120, why should we have 120fm when 99fm is already useless, same for more skills. If all skills are usefull and have high level content THEN they could CONSIDER to make the max 120. Altough I don't see that happen in the next 2-3 years...

Was about to type the exact same as your first bit.

Now, onto your second bit... Your thinking reasonably. Now, step outside that box and think Jagex.

09144a99bb.png

In the mean time, we could quit RS, learn how to excel in C++, Java, Ruby, ... and build our own game. The game will probably suck in terms of game experience, but hey, you'll be able to program quite well.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

yay ^_^

1.)they didn't plan to put back wildy, yay ^_^ oh wait...

2.)but w/e they first need to fix up the skills before getting them 120, why should we have 120fm when 99fm is already useless, same for more skills. If all skills are usefull and have high level content THEN they could CONSIDER to make the max 120. Altough I don't see that happen in the next 2-3 years...

Was about to type the exact same as your first bit.

Now, onto your second bit... Your thinking reasonably. Now, step outside that box and think Jagex.

*snort*

The Wildy was brought back for reasons that had nothing to do with upgrading "content" ...

There are a LOT of other things that can be added to the game without adding the necessity of grinding out more skills to 120. There are more skills that can be added, vast improvements to other skills (like SMITHING :rolleyes:) and a wide-variety of high and low level content that can be added.

Hell -- where's these "Eastern Lands" we keep hearing about?

When will they upgrade/update/finish Prffiddnas (elflands) (sp?)?

Honestly -- we need more 120 skills like we need another hole in all our heads ... <_<

nyuseg.png