Is it time to raise the level caps?

buffrichie

"We don’t plan to raise any other skills from 99 to 120" Mod Mark

yay ^_^

1.)they didn't plan to put back wildy, yay ^_^ oh wait...

2.)but w/e they first need to fix up the skills before getting them 120, why should we have 120fm when 99fm is already useless, same for more skills. If all skills are usefull and have high level content THEN they could CONSIDER to make the max 120. Altough I don't see that happen in the next 2-3 years...

Was about to type the exact same as your first bit.

Now, onto your second bit... Your thinking reasonably. Now, step outside that box and think Jagex.

I rather think like Apple now if Jagex does that the updates would be a lot more awesome.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell -- where's these "Eastern Lands" we keep hearing about?

When will they upgrade/update/finish Prffiddnas (elflands) (sp?)?

Honestly -- we need more 120 skills like we need another hole in all our heads ... <_<

Just watched a video not long ago that was from years ago where they mentioned expanding beyond the eastern desert. Must be a pretty big project.

I would love to see the expansion and finishing of the elf-lands. That quest that was released long ago (the dead/injured adventurer with the bloody notes in the room where you had to mix light which led to a dead end cave) got me all hyped thinking it'd be soon... Again, I wasn't thinking Jagex.

All raising to 120 would do is give maxed players a number, and possibly a cape, to shoot for. That's still the only reason people train beyond that of the levels of unlocking new content now-a-days. I would definitely not support it.

09144a99bb.png

No, this is not even close to being needed.

At the time of writing, there are 301 maxed players in all of Runescape.

Yet there are far more with 200ms, iirc. Frankly, the only reason we don't have a few thousand maxed players is because we have a 120 skill atm...

If you are not maxed but you want more high-level content anyway - what reason is there exactly to make it above level 99? We have plenty of skills which need to be revised even at low levels, such as smithing, before Jagex should even begin to worry about adding level 100+ content. Once everything's in good shape at the levels which the majority of players can actually play, then they can take the time to ensure there's room for growth at the top. I would guess this should happen five or more years from now, at the earliest.

Because I'm really down to 1 skill that isn't maxed, dungeoning, and I'd like to do something else for levels.

Additionally, arguments about how experience rates are now 2x faster don't justify an 8x increase in the amount of experience which has practical use. Maxing should be a very difficult, but at least potentially achievable goal. If maxing takes 2.5 billion+ experience, Runescape would become a game that is essentially impossible to "complete". Only one player even has that much experience after 10 years of Runescape running, and much of it is in easy/quick skills rather than distributed among the harder ones as 120 maxing would require.

If anyone has a figure worked out from the 200M all skills thread for how many hours it would take to reach 200M all skills, that would be helpful. In this case, it would take half that amount of time to achieve 120 maxed status. Bear in mind that around 2,000 hours is equivalent to working a full-time job for a year, and I'm pretty sure the 200M all figure was well over 10,000 hours....

Again, it's great to have targets to shoot for... Certainly more interesting than people just ranking on exp.

all skills go to 120

huge new area of the map with only dungeoneering resources on the surface

the non combat slayer skill comes out with the new lands.

talking out of my ass.

The game needs a lot of work before the caps are raised.

also: :thumbup: to aspeeder's quote.

4e0Vn.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill, it is a big minigame with ranks.

DG is as much of a skill as mobilizing armies is a skill.

says he who has low dungeoneering.

i agree with the above post ^_^

dg is more of a skill than any others

lets stay in 1 spot for a week clicking a few times yay 99 flech/craft/mage/herb/

lets walk a few steps beyond the bank

yay

99 smith/cook

etc

dungeoneering needs skill to kill boss's with out dying a few times (well more skill needed there than to cick at a bank)

if dg isnt a skill then what are most of the skills? as they take less skill

staying ontopic

i wouldnt mind it being 120 all skills less players that maxed just makes the game look better imo

and its needed the amount of people that are maxing in skills is way too fast now

so if they did it then i wouldnt mind

tenebri.png

Heres the thing with me... For the majority of players they are only captivated by a few skills.. for me its the attack/def/str/hits/slayer/crafting/prayer/herblaw/ I COULD CARE A LESSSSSS about any other skill and never will train them. Adding a monster that lets say had a 97 slayer requirement.. to me thats not hard to get and doesn't set me apart from anyone else with 97 slayer... if they raise the level caps only the true masters of the skill would be able to benefit from their love of the skill.. and its not like the levels would be that high... just to 120 but the difficulty would go up and would just make the game so much more fun... and for some skills how can they add on to them anymore without raising the level caps? if they added a new fish to the game lets say for an example, a marlin, making it 95 fishing to catch just doesnt do anything for me. 95 fishin is easy to get and lets say its 95 cooking to cook thats just easy.. i want high level content that takes a true passion of the skill to achieve...... and what really annoys me is if they never had the intention to raise level caps why make the experience keep going...? its just annoying.. lets say for example i have 50m exp in all my combat stats and im in a team with a noob with just 13m in all his fighting stats... i am no better than he is even though i am much more experience in the skills... people should be able to benefit from this and right now they cant

A level cap raise to 120 will never happen. The fact is that Jagex (and any other business) has to cater to the majority of its paying customers. Many members dont even have one 99 let alone all of them and the fact that some people believe that Jagex will raise the cap for the 0.01% of the rs community that has the dedication to get to these extreme xp amounts is ridiculous. Not to mention that an entire section of high level content would have to be created for every skill as every skill is linked in some way which would completely change the economy of rs and would put lower levels even more behind the higher levels. More quests, bosses armors, weapons... everything would have to be created even new portions of the map as new hunting grounds and farming plots would have to be created. Additionally, many people that have skill capes would most likely feel cheated out as 99 has become the highest possible level, the most prestigious achievement that you can acquire from a skill. If 99 were to become less then the best Jagex would have to create another marker to display level 120 in a skill just like the skillcape, which would make the skillcape "second best" people that dedicated countless time to acquiring 99's in skills such as slayer would feel that they had been cheated out of there hard earned accolade.

Once again money becomes an issue, a higher level cap would cause a non negligible amount of high levels to rage quit, would discourage lower levels even more (once again causing many mid-low levels to quit). Lastly it would bring no new traffic to the game, why would higher and extremely insane level caps encourage new players?

In the end a lvl 120 cap raise would be

-A middle finger to high levels

-A middle finger to mid-lower levels

-A drop in new paying customers

-Would [bleep] the rs economy

-Would raise the prices of raw materials by a huge amount and drop the prices of rares by a huge amount causing some to quit as their hundreds of millions are lost in items

-Would offer no benefits to the majority of players

Overall, it's not going to happen as no positive effects would come about.

EDIT

Im seeing people bringing up a couple hundred maxed out players as if that compares to the rest of the members population...

Never going to happen ever get over it, so few (comparatively) have all 99's the fact that people expect jagex to raise the level cap by 21 levels is preposterous.

Heres the thing with me... For the majority of players they are only captivated by a few skills.. for me its the attack/def/str/hits/slayer/crafting/prayer/herblaw/ I COULD CARE A LESSSSSS about any other skill and never will train them. Adding a monster that lets say had a 97 slayer requirement.. to me thats not hard to get and doesn't set me apart from anyone else with 97 slayer... if they raise the level caps only the true masters of the skill would be able to benefit from their love of the skill.. and its not like the levels would be that high... just to 120 but the difficulty would go up and would just make the game so much more fun... and for some skills how can they add on to them anymore without raising the level caps? if they added a new fish to the game lets say for an example, a marlin, making it 95 fishing to catch just doesnt do anything for me. 95 fishin is easy to get and lets say its 95 cooking to cook thats just easy.. i want high level content that takes a true passion of the skill to achieve...... and what really annoys me is if they never had the intention to raise level caps why make the experience keep going...? its just annoying.. lets say for example i have 50m exp in all my combat stats and im in a team with a noob with just 13m in all his fighting stats... i am no better than he is even though i am much more experience in the skills... people should be able to benefit from this and right now they cant

So elitist that it hurts my soul. The fact that in your opinion you need to put in over 2.5 months of grinding a purchasable skill to be "passionate" about it makes me question if you have ever gone outside... ever. And lets not forget the harder skills, the fact that you think that yoy should put over a year into farming in order to be passionate about the skill is well, [bleep]ING RIDICULOUS :wall:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

I do want to reiterate here that after Runescape having run for 10+ years, not one single player has the experience to be 120-maxed. In fact, none of them are even particularly close.

IMO, there should at least be some players close to achieving this before considering any further. There were hundreds of maxed players (pre-Dungeoneering) asking for months/years for a maxed cape, and only now is Jagex even considering a primarily decorative item to recognize an existing in-game achievement. Do you really think they're ready to give out an extra 21 levels in Attack/Strength/Defense/Ranged/Magic, etc?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

If you don't count things in dungeoneering as content for skills:

The actual content for farming stops at 85.

Firemaking is just useless in general.

Woodcutting has no use past 82 (if you don't count the cursed magic tree, 75) unless you just want to chop a tree faster.

Agility becomes pointless after 90.

Smithing has no real use anymore.

Not too sure what to say about cooking.

Fletching, why do we need it?

The only reason to train mining past 85 would be to increase speed of mining rune.

Thieving, has it ever had a purpose?

Until they make at least a few of those skills even worth training to 99, why raise the cap to 120? Hell I'd even settle for 90+ content if it had an actual use.

I do want to reiterate here that after Runescape having run for 10+ years, not one single player has the experience to be 120-maxed. In fact, none of them are even particularly close.

IMO, there should at least be some players close to achieving this before considering any further. There were hundreds of maxed players (pre-Dungeoneering) asking for months/years for a maxed cape, and only now is Jagex even considering a primarily decorative item to recognize an existing in-game achievement. Do you really think they're ready to give out an extra 21 levels in Attack/Strength/Defense/Ranged/Magic, etc?

Allar would have almost 14 120 skills. And if the level cap was 120, he probably would have less 200m skills and more 120s. And it doesn't really matter is anyone close to getting it. At the beginning of RS 99 everything wasn't something that people expected someone to get I guess. First player maxed out almost 4 years after the release, and 3 years later there still weren't many maxeds. 99 everything used to be close to what 120 everything would be now tbh.

A_Kekek.png

no support..

just look at the lowest skill list on high lvl forums highest is like 30 or 40m exp for lowest and for top 80 lowest you need like 15.3 or so m exp......

so that shows that lots of people hate training or cant train certain skills....let alone all the way to 104m...

1300 maxed base 99 / 2m highscored players

most high lvls dont support all 120 either some of the arguments are "well u can focus on the skills you like" well a maxed player nowdays can and get it to lvl 200m exp but with all 120 people would have less motivation to train skills they like to 200m as they would have to train slow or skills they dislike to say 105 or 106

i would have 2 skills 120 dungeoneering and str if they came out with it

StarViv.png

no support..

just look at the lowest skill list on high lvl forums highest is like 30 or 40m exp for lowest and for top 80 lowest you need like 15.3 or so m exp......

so that shows that lots of people hate training or cant train certain skills....let alone all the way to 104m...

1300 maxed base 99 / 2m highscored players

most high lvls dont support all 120 either some of the arguments are "well u can focus on the skills you like" well a maxed player nowdays can and get it to lvl 200m exp but with all 120 people would have less motivation to train skills they like to 200m as they would have to train slow or skills they dislike to say 105 or 106

i would have 2 skills 120 dungeoneering and str if they came out with it

i would quit if they came out with just 120 strength.

more and more people are getting maxed/basically beating the game. how many maxed people were there in '06 like 20-50? skills are getting easier. an influx on no lifes/ more training methods and bonus exp weekends has devalued what it means to be maxed. 120 would be a great addon

Jagex have said they won't put this in.

"We are not planning to increase the skill level cap."

That does no, repeat NOT mean they are subtly hinting that they are planning on increasing the skill level cap.

the only cool thing that might work well would be releasing skill mastery capes, for level 120 skills. However that's not really necessary given the new capes of distinction coming out anyway.

I'm not an efficienado.

Woodcutting has no use past 82 (if you don't count the cursed magic tree, 75) unless you just want to chop a tree faster.

The only reason to train mining past 85 would be to increase speed of mining rune.

Until they make at least a few of those skills even worth training to 99, why raise the cap to 120? Hell I'd even settle for 90+ content if it had an actual use.

im sure if/when they release the caps to 120

they will update a few of the skills to go over 99

and gradually update the rest of the skills

just because its not there now doesnt mean it never will be

tenebri.png

If you think that getting 99 is too easy, just become F2P. Getting a 99 in F2P is still hard and there aren't many maxed out F2P players :).

No support for 120s, just make skills harder ;) (delete ivy's, living rock caverns, gilded altar and so on...)

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

Hey cooking is very useful, although a fast 99, where do you think the main food for PKers come from? Gotta fish and cook those sharks/rocktails :P

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Just because there's loads more sadacts with no jobs that play RS everyday doesn't mean it's easy to get 99 everything. Getting 120 in just one skill is insane IMO. Max exp I have is 16m in Str and I've had 99 for 2 years and always aggressive when I PK, SW or slay generally.

No offense but if you have all 99s atm you've spent alot of time on a silly game. The people with all 99s who think it's easy (?!) to get all 99s and that everything should be raised to 120 should take a look at their lives. Seriously.

Imagine how ridiculous it already seems to a new player when they learn what the max level in a skill is. I recently trained dungeoneering to 80 and i struggled, it's so many hours. sooo many hours. If they did add 120 I think it should only be to combat skills, and I don't really think they should.. because IMO getting 100m exp in something is incredibly sad. :thumbup:

I think it'd be irresponsible for Jagex to make it a game made goal to spend even more hours grinding.

I personally think that exp should be lowered for 99s but whatever..

Anyway to most players 99 everything is already an unachievable goal :shades:

Also like already has been said they need to add high level content to skills first.

Well first off I don't see why everytime I see this topic they say 120, if you want a challenge why shouldn't all skills go to 126? they will never do this though because noone wants to waste there lives a on game that probably won't even be around in 5 years.

372nd to max total level

Well first off I don't see why everytime I see this topic they say 120, if you want a challenge why shouldn't all skills go to 126? they will never do this though because noone wants to waste there lives a on game that probably won't even be around in 5 years.

Your last sentence contradicts yourself dude. It seems some people have already "wasted" 10 years on this game in the first place, and still have time to "waste". The only thing that keeps players playing is the fact that this game takes a ton of time to be considered "beaten", and just when you think you have, BAM, more content.

If Jagex gets to the point where they realize that people are becoming bored and that too many people finishing up all of the skill content, why not require another 90M xp in each skill? Seems obvious it's going to happen.

Trollbomber.png

Just because there's loads more sadacts with no jobs that play RS everyday doesn't mean it's easy to get 99 everything. Getting 120 in just one skill is insane IMO. Max exp I have is 16m in Str and I've had 99 for 2 years and always aggressive when I PK, SW or slay generally.

No offense but if you have all 99s atm you've spent alot of time on a silly game. The people with all 99s who think it's easy (?!) to get all 99s and that everything should be raised to 120 should take a look at their lives. Seriously.

Imagine how ridiculous it already seems to a new player when they learn what the max level in a skill is. I recently trained dungeoneering to 80 and i struggled, it's so many hours. sooo many hours. If they did add 120 I think it should only be to combat skills, and I don't really think they should.. because IMO getting 100m exp in something is incredibly sad. :thumbup:

I think it'd be irresponsible for Jagex to make it a game made goal to spend even more hours grinding.

Also like already has been said they need to add high level content to skills first.

I agree on your last sentence about more WELL-DEVELOPED at that, high level content being added to most skills.

However it seems like too many players including yourself can't realize that "your idea of a life/time well spent =/= the life/time of others"

So what if people want to spend a lot of time playing an online game? I hate basketball, but I don't think that those who play it are wasting their time/lives, they're just doing what they want.

And I'm also sure that the people who have/are/will go for 104M or 200M in skills are going to be training it and know how to do it a hell of a lot more efficienctly than you are, so for you to say it's going to take a CRAZY amount of time isn't necessarily true.

They made DG quicker after level 99, and I know they would too for the rest of the skills.

My point is that chances are you'll still be playing this game by the time level extensions roll around, and you'll play until tons of people reach those max levels. A bit ironic to me.

Apologies for the double post.

Trollbomber.png

I agree on your last sentence about more WELL-DEVELOPED at that, high level content being added to most skills.

However it seems like too many players including yourself can't realize that "your idea of a life/time well spent =/= the life/time of others"

So what if people want to spend a lot of time playing an online game? I hate basketball, but I don't think that those who play it are wasting their time/lives, they're just doing what they want.

And I'm also sure that the people who have/are/will go for 104M or 200M in skills are going to be training it and know how to do it a hell of a lot more efficienctly than you are, so for you to say it's going to take a CRAZY amount of time isn't necessarily true.

They made DG quicker after level 99, and I know they would too for the rest of the skills.

My point is that chances are you'll still be playing this game by the time level extensions roll around, and you'll play until tons of people reach those max levels. A bit ironic to me.

Apologies for the double post.

theres a differnce between playing for a length of time and spending a lot of time playing. to be honest i doubt i will play sooon, its habit atm, i only play 1 hour a day tho and dont polay weekends anymore. but 120 will also discourage new players which i thinks important.

but im so shocked if someone actually wants to spend a life time playing runescape..