[dev blog] Capes of Distinction

miner2006

http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=116

For a while now we have planned to expand the range of capes in RuneScape, particularly the capes we use to show off our in-game accomplishments. Items like the max cape, a cape that can only be worn by players who have achieved level 99 in all skills, have been a hot topic on the forums for as long as I have worked here, but with new skills and features added all the time, and even changes to what players see as being max, there has never been an ideal time to start working on it. That is until now!

Were planning to start work on the design and aesthetics of an entire range of new Capes of Distinction including, but not limited to...

Veteran cape - a cape that any player can wear if their account is more than 5 years old

Next year, we will be able to offer an expanded version of the Veteran cape to those players who have been with us for 10 years. Currently, thats not possible, although we know that some of you are already 10-year veterans. See below for how YOU can help design this awesome cape!

Classic cape - a cape any player can wear if they have visited RuneScape Classic

Initial concepts feature some rather amusing pixelated 2D graphics and an emote of a player thinking, which is how we used to represent player animations back in Classic. (Ah, the memories.)

Max skill cape - a cape that a player can wear if they have reached level 99 in all skills

Traditionally, we have always considered level 99 to be max despite the Dungeoneering skill going to 120. We dont plan to raise any other skills from 99 to 120, and still feel the max cape should be worn by players with all skills at level 99.

The cape of 10s - a range of nine different capes that a players can wear when they have reached a multiple of ten or above in all skills (for example, a player who wants to wear the 40 cape would have to have a minimum of level 40 in all current skills)

There are all sorts of milestones we often set ourselves when training skills, such as min stat. We would like to encourage players to train all of their skills and I see this as a good way of doing so. We plan for these to change graphically up to the level 90 cape.

Uber cape - a cape that can only be worn if you can wear the max cape, have 120 Dungeoneering, have gained all possible Quest Points, have completed all Tasks, and have unlocked all music tracks!

This cape is for the completionists out there who feel they really have done everything. Of course, a cape like this has to be earned and maintained, because a player who wants to continue wearing this cape will have to keep completing ALL content, which will continue to grow and grow!

A selection of these capes will have glorious new emotes in addition to a new graphical feel. We may even be able to offer the max and uber capes in a selection of colours, but this is yet to be decided.

Guaranteed Content Poll

To accompany the design of these capes, we have decided to give YOU the final decision on what one of these capes should look like, and the cape we have chosen is the Veteran cape! If youre interested in helping us choose the best hood, collar, collar symbol, back symbol and cape pattern of the Veteran cape, keep an eye out for the Guaranteed Content Poll were launching tomorrow. There will be a newspost tomorrow when the poll is released.

Of course, if you have thoughts on any of the other capes we mention here, or if there are any you feel we have missed, please let us know on the forums, or perhaps discuss it in a Clan Chat near you. Its something that everyone has an opinion on and we really want to know what those opinions are.

Please remember, these are just our initial thoughts on the new capes. The main bulk of design work has not yet begun. We wanted to give you all the chance to tell us your thoughts before the real work begins.

Thanks for reading, and do vote in the poll once it's out!

Jarkko.png

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing they can't do the 10 yr cape til nxt yr (despite rs being 10) because the first yr systems obviousl werent advance enough to store creation dates.

But they all sound quite good; lots to work towards.

I shuld be able to get the vet cape, classic cape and the first 7 (maybe 8) capes of 10 right off the bat.

Max cape and uber cape will be nice to work for.

It'd be nice to see (stats wise)

The capes of 10 slowly working up towards the 99 capes (eg cape of 10 is like minimal stats then cape of 90 is not far off the untrimmed skillcape)

Hopefully cape of max and uber cape have better stats than skillones.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm guessing they can't do the 10 yr cape til nxt yr (despite rs being 10) because the first yr systems obviousl werent advance enough to store creation dates.

But they all sound quite good; lots to work towards.

There is nothing advanced about a DateTime column in a sql table.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

I believe the earliest dates they have stored for accounts is February 2002 ish, which I think is related to the release of the password recovery system. (All going from memory, that could be total rubbish).

My account was made in 2001 and the earliest date they could associate my account with when I asked them was Februrary 2002, so I guess the 10 year capes should be making an appearance in Feb next year.

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

Oooh exciting :D

I shall have access to the 5 year cape as well as the 10 year cape as soon as it arrives. I started around easter 2011 so when the cape is released next year I will have access to it :) The idea of a classic cape is interesting but anyone can play Classic (6 monthly registration) so it's not really a sign of your characters age like the Veteran capes are.

The cape of 10s is interesting but thanks to my noob dungeonerring level i'll only be able to wear 60+ for a while hehe.

The max skillcape is a possibility for me someday. I have twelve 99s now and i'm getting close to max skills in herblore and crafting so it's a genuine possibility for me in the next couple of years.

Uber cape... unlikely but I look forward to seeing people wear it, they deserve it :)

Lets hope these can all be stored in my PoH. The cape rack could do with a bit of an overhaul really as it's getting quite crouded now.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Only the veteran cape seems nice.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

My only concern with this is that they will likely be P2P. Sure, pay for extra features I know the argument, but think about it... Anyone who has put enough time into this game to get one of these capes deserves recognition regardless of whether or not they pay $5. I don't think the "10's capes" should be F2P (espcially because it would require P2P levels), but at the very least make the veterans cape F2P so that ALL old school players can show off.

My only concern with this is that they will likely be P2P. Sure, pay for extra features I know the argument, but think about it... Anyone who has put enough time into this game to get one of these capes deserves recognition regardless of whether or not they pay $5. I don't think the "10's capes" should be F2P (espcially because it would require P2P levels), but at the very least make the veterans cape F2P so that ALL old school players can show off.

No they don't.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If the capes are members content, i see no reason for jagex to make them f2p. Afterall, the capes are a major draw for people to get members, and allowing them for f2p wouldn't achieve anything(they are just for showoff). Making the members only is very much useful to jagex.

And well, some of them sound fun, some don't sound that fun. I'll be able to get all of them in like 2 years <_<

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Interesting to say the least. Something I'll be looking forward to :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Sounds like a good idea, especially the veteran capes :)

Hopefully this means we'll be able to find out the exact date of our account creation!

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Mmm... uber cape... eusa_drool.gif

All in all, a good idea, fits my playing style nicely. I often have 'min stat' goals, but because of my nooby Herblore level I'll only have 60+, oh well. I'm not sure what's the point of some of the lower 'capes of 10s' though, I think only min stats higher than 50/60 or so are worth giving a cape for.

Kudos to Jagex for giving us the initial thoughts on the idea before the design work starts. Keep it up and do that for more content, please!

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I started in 2001. Nice to see that they are going to make the 10 year cape too!

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

I just thought:

Imagine how annoying its gonna be each time a new skill arrives with all these capes.

As soon as a new skill comes up you're gonna lose the ability to wear the max cape uber cape and the capes of 10 and have to wokr ur way bk up thru them bit by bit.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Did you suddenly get really drunk halfway that sentence, Sy_Accursed?

If you go for 'max cape' or whatever cape is related to it you know what the risks are concerning new skills, areas, music, quests etc.