Rl RS Implications..

Freakyhair

How can playing a game 18 hours a day be contributing to society?

The original figure was 60 hours a week, which you said wasn't contributing to society. That's "only" about 7 hours a day. That still leaves 8 hours for sleeping and 9 hours for "contributing to society." Idk where you pulled 18 hours a day from.

77yLQy8.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original figure was 60 hours a week, which you said wasn't contributing to society. That's "only" about 7 hours a day. That still leaves 8 hours for sleeping and 9 hours for "contributing to society." Idk where you pulled 18 hours a day from.

Where did I say 60 hours a week?

First of all, I've quit as of 2 days ago, was thinking of it for a while and then i got lured, figured it was a good time. Secondly, flame me man I don't care. Thirdly this might not belong here but I dunno where else to put it.

Alright so basically I'm gunna tell you my RS and RL story (where it matters). I started when I was like 11/12, loads of peeps at my school played and it was jokes, messing about with loads of school friends on some funny game. Slowly everyone quit, and it was just me, by then i was pretty into it. I remember one summer i spent 4hours or so a day on RS.

Around that time I started losing friends, dunno why, but I did. The less friends I had the more RS I played. Anyway it got stupid for me, I was 13 and skipping school to play RS all day. At some point I got MSN to talk with RS friends, then I met girls and quit RS ([bleep] that man I got girls lol).

Anyway so I had some friends and a social life and girls, I stopped RS. At some point stuff went wrong and I started playing RS again, just a bit. But I put off going out for RS.

Basicaly been going through cycles of not playing for 6months and then playing too much for a month (like 25hours a week)

Now I know that's a right unhealthy way to play, but I can't help but notice that my life gets significantly worse when I'm playing RS. I'm more likely to put things off, less likely do be up for going down pub or something.

I know that there are a lot of people that play RS at least 6 hours a day aswell, and I'm just saying isn't it massively detrimental on all our live when we play like that? People always have the same argument aswell, 'oh we'd just be watching tv or something if we didn't' or 'so what we find it fun'. Fairplay I'm not saying that that's always wrong, I know plenty of people on here do play like that and enjoy it when they do. Hell I enjoy it when I play for a bit. But it's the mentality of the minority of players who already have addictive personalities that's sad.

I also know from watching my brother that it's just not right that everyone has more fun out of it than other things. I don't see smiling and happy when he's playing RS a lot like he is when he plays football with his mates. I see him being subdued and monged.

I swear there is a certain ammount of denial especially among players who clock 5-6hours regularly a day.

The way I see it a lot of people use RS as an easy way to get little kicks and achievments that are easily documented, but due to the time it takes up it's just silly really.

I personally believe that Jagex should put a limit of 20hours a week (not at all crazy IMO) would add a lot more skill to RS and stop it from taking over some people's lives which it undeniably does.

I dunno I wanna hear what you guys think. If you wanna flame do so, I don't care. I'm finally stopping wasting hours getting WC levels and spend the time playing guitar and learning more French. :thumbup:

same here bro [bleep] rs go play rl rs is a piece of [cabbage]

LOL.

Where did I say 60 hours a week?

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

77yLQy8.png

I really hope that isn't aimed at me. If someone disagrees with your viewpoint, that doesn't automatically make the bolded part the reason.

Not saying that your in denial about your own playtime, but you must be about others. Come on I really don't wanna name names but I saw posts from 200mers who talk about life in a weird way, about how tiresome it is etc. Thats clearly from staring at a computer screen for unnatural ammounts of time a day. I'm sorry but I swear you can't dispute that, i have no way of prooving it but i wouldve thought it's obvious.

Also you must be in denial or blind if you don't realise RS screws some peoples lives over, ive heard some real disturbing things in game. Maybe it would just be something else if it wasn't RS.

I don't agree with the amount of time people spend playing Rs for all 200m either, in fact, i think it's an absurd amount of time to spend playing a video game, but if they genuinely enjoy that time whilst doing it then nobody has any right to tell them to stop doing it (unless of course, your parents still control you).

im sorry but its obvious that some of those people arn't enjoying it that much. is it not common knowledge that a lot of people don't enjoy skilling/grinding? but a lot of people do it. is it not a bit weird? bonus exp weekend people were constantly complaining in sw chest about how bored they were. but they did it anyway. i think RS is an easy way to be commondated ad rewarded and to see the rewards and that a lot of the people that are playing a lot are doing it for that reason, not because they actually find it more fun than other things.

and yeah obviously there will be some people who do genuinely enjoy the whole 16 hours they play but come on!

edit: WHATS TL DLR??!

Also Bladewing, someone who doesn't work at all and just plays on a game all the time really is bad for society. At the mo I only work 36 hours a week. Hell people who work 5 hours a week is alright but not working at all.. hmm..

Why does this argument keep coming up every time someone quits?

Yes its important to manage your time. But i'll use myself as an example. I live in the middle of nowhere with it being at least an hour and a half drive to any town/city that is worthy of being called that. Unemployed all through the winter because right now all my work is seasonal until i get enough cash to afford an appartment in the city. Now I have nothing to do but either read, play on the computer or watch T.V. Of those three i have more fun playing on the computer and so i'm playing 4+ hours a day just because I have nothing els to do unless I want to drive three hours to go see a movie or go to a bar. Both of which i can't afford at the moment.

Now of course your gonna say i'm obese and have a lousy social life. Social life, I could probably use a boost but like I said theres nothing out here. To being obese, I'm a lifeguard and i do find time to keep myself in shape. If you don't spend half the day sleeping there is plenty of time to play 4+ hours a day and still keep yourself healthy and have a decent social life.

Yes there are some people who can't manage their time but can we please stop with the stereotyping.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Or, more likely, 7 hours a day playing (breakfast eaten while playing), 5 hours a day sleeping, 8 hours a day working (lunch break included), 4 hours a day hanging out with friends (drinks+dinner). Also, no work on weekends.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

so it would be all good if they worked 30 mins a week?

No but it'd be better, at least they contribute something.

what's the magic number, then?

dude use your common sense..

look around at other people and see mate. its pretty standard that you work 8 hours a day. if youve got kids then hopefully you don't have to but ive worked with peeps who stilll do 8/10hour days. if jobs hard to come by then you should be looking. but seriously mate theres no magic number, is it not obvious that everyone should be aiming for 8 hours work a day? im on a farm at the moment, most things are self sufficient and we work 6-7hours a day every day except sunday. thats real life imo, thats paying bills and eating enough. people who don't work either scrounge of parents or the government. but thats not what this is about..

look around at other people and see mate. its pretty standard that you work 8 hours a day. if youve got kids then hopefully you don't have to but ive worked with peeps who stilll do 8/10hour days. if jobs hard to come by then you should be looking. but seriously mate those no magic number, is it not obvious that everyone should be aiming for 8 hours work a day? im on a farm at the moment, most things are self sufficient and we work 6-7hours a day every day except sunday. thats really life imo, thats paying bills and eating enough. people who don't work either scrounge of parents or the government. but thats not what this is about..

Where do college students fit into the "everyone should work eight hours a day" plan?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

OP reminds me of the type of people who scream that "oh, I ate McDonald's every day for ten years and never did exercise, we should have government regulations on how much McDonald's you can legally eat."

Just because you have no self control doesn't mean the rest of us do. I play Runescape, yet I manage to hold down two jobs, I manage my own website, just recently received my Associates Degree in Communications, and am now working on my Bachelor's degree. I'm underweight, but still in shape.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Three things:

1) This topic again? - I found it slightly inspirational, TBH. Right now I can't say RuneScape is ruining anything for me. I still BMX, I still program / pay attention to the GF, spend a lot of time with my baby girl... But I don't like the amount of time I spend online. I'm proud of the people that make these posts because it's an example of how one is / was willing to make a change for the better in their lives. Who knows, it may actually help someone else to make that step who's lost the battle against Jagex for self control... Referring to #2.

2) It's called moderation and self-control. You should try it sometime. - Jagex and all games developers' objective is to get you hooked to where you can't say no... And they often win.

3) I don't see why you can't play Runescape while playing guitar/learning French. I happen to do all three of those things, and I don't seem to have a problem (other than not having a proper French accent and being somewhat sloppy with my sweep-picking. <_< ). - Goes back to #2. Games are designed to be addicting. They try, and often succeed, to make (In the players' mind) RuneScape take priority over other things.

If Runescape is ruining your life, you're gonna have much bigger problems when you get older.

09144a99bb.png

I really hope that isn't aimed at me. If someone disagrees with your viewpoint, that doesn't automatically make the bolded part the reason.

Not saying that your in denial about your own playtime, but you must be about others. Come on I really don't wanna name names but I saw posts from 200mers who talk about life in a weird way, about how tiresome it is etc. Thats clearly from staring at a computer screen for unnatural ammounts of time a day. I'm sorry but I swear you can't dispute that, i have no way of prooving it but i wouldve thought it's obvious.

Also you must be in denial or blind if you don't realise RS screws some peoples lives over, ive heard some real disturbing things in game. Maybe it would just be something else if it wasn't RS.

I don't agree with the amount of time people spend playing Rs for all 200m either, in fact, i think it's an absurd amount of time to spend playing a video game, but if they genuinely enjoy that time whilst doing it then nobody has any right to tell them to stop doing it (unless of course, your parents still control you).

im sorry but its obvious that some of those people arn't enjoying it that much. is it not common knowledge that a lot of people don't enjoy skilling/grinding? but a lot of people do it. is it not a bit weird? bonus exp weekend people were constantly complaining in sw chest about how bored they were. but they did it anyway. i think RS is an easy way to be commondated ad rewarded and to see the rewards and that a lot of the people that are playing a lot are doing it for that reason, not because they actually find it more fun than other things.

and yeah obviously there will be some people who do genuinely enjoy the whole 16 hours they play but come on!

edit: WHATS TL DLR??!

Also Bladewing, someone who doesn't work at all and just plays on a game all the time really is bad for society. At the mo I only work 36 hours a week. Hell people who work 5 hours a week is alright but not working at all.. hmm..

I'll make it simple, no matter how right you think you are, unless said person actually asks/wants help, then you have no right to tell them that playing Rs for that long is wrong for them.

That isn't me denying that people no-life this game, because they do, but if they choose to do that, it's their CHOICE.

Sylpheed.png

look around at other people and see mate. its pretty standard that you work 8 hours a day. if youve got kids then hopefully you don't have to but ive worked with peeps who stilll do 8/10hour days. if jobs hard to come by then you should be looking. but seriously mate those no magic number, is it not obvious that everyone should be aiming for 8 hours work a day? im on a farm at the moment, most things are self sufficient and we work 6-7hours a day every day except sunday. thats really life imo, thats paying bills and eating enough. people who don't work either scrounge of parents or the government. but thats not what this is about..

Where do college students fit into the "everyone should work eight hours a day" plan?

in uk the recommended reading+ lectures time works out around 8 hours a day and if your from the uk and u mean college then generally it is 8 hours a day. Plus most people i know who go uni(college) need to work shed loads of hours anyway to keep up with bills.

OP reminds me of the type of people who scream that "oh, I ate McDonald's every day for ten years and never did exercise, we should have government regulations on how much McDonald's you can legally eat."

yeah but a lot of people do play RS like that, i dont care anymore about limits but i think saying u shud only be playing a video game for 4 hours a day isn't particularly extreme. the games addictive in nature. i also said i know a lot of people don't play liek that but a lot of people do.

i know a lot of people played like me, except i only [bleep]ed up for a month or so and it didn't lose me any good mates, missed out ona few funny times but that's it. but yeah a lot of people do play like that all the time and i know that it damages them.

watever clearly noone beleives the for some reason :blink:

to reply to comment above.

my friend went mental, while he was going mental we tried to stop him taking drugs, he said he didn't want help it was none of our buisness. really extreme example but yeah, sometimes people need a push to realise somethings out of the ordinary. think about alcoholics, the didn't want to become alcoholics.

all extreme examples but relevant. why do interventions exist?

EDIT

please tell me what tldr means :(

i think that's a great answer. however it seems to conflict with statements like

I personally believe that Jagex should put a limit of 20hours a week (not at all crazy IMO) would add a lot more skill to RS and stop it from taking over some people's lives which it undeniably does.

you are saying "use your common sense" to determine how much is an adequate amount of contribution to society, but say "common sense is not enough" to determine how much is an adequate amount of runescape? what?

i think that's a great answer. however it seems to conflict with statements like

you are saying "use your common sense" to determine how much is an adequate amount of contribution to society, but say "common sense is not enough" to determine how much is an adequate amount of runescape? what?

common sense as in its agiven that most people have to work 8 hour days and if you don't know that i can't comprehend what life your living.

i stick by it, maybe 25 i dunno. whatever that was just a vague idea.

also it's hard to determine some stuff by common sense if your judegment gets clouded.

common sense as in its agiven that most people have to work 8 hour days and if you don't know that i can't comprehend what life your living.

also it's hard to determine some stuff by common sense if your judegment gets clouded.

what if an orthodontist works 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, and makes $100K a year? he's not doing enough? for him to play 6 hours of runescape a day would certainly not interfere with his job, and would still leave plenty of time to be social.

you are trying to put universal restrictions on parts of people's lives that are highly dependent on the context.

in uk the recommended reading+ lectures time works out around 8 hours a day and if your from the uk and u mean college then generally it is 8 hours a day. Plus most people i know who go uni(college) need to work shed loads of hours anyway to keep up with bills.

yeah but a lot of people do play RS like that, i dont care anymore about limits but i think saying u shud only be playing a video game for 4 hours a day isn't particularly extreme. the games addictive in nature. i also said i know a lot of people don't play liek that but a lot of people do.

i know a lot of people played like me, except i only [bleep]ed up for a month or so and it didn't lose me any good mates, missed out ona few funny times but that's it. but yeah a lot of people do play like that all the time and i know that it damages them.

watever clearly noone beleives the for some reason :blink:

to reply to comment above.

my friend went mental, while he was going mental we tried to stop him taking drugs, he said he didn't want help it was none of our buisness. really extreme example but yeah, sometimes people need a push to realise somethings out of the ordinary. think about alcoholics, the didn't want to become alcoholics.

all extreme examples but relevant. why do interventions exist?

EDIT

please tell me what tldr means :(

Nice analogy, did you hear about those thousands of people killing themselves by overdosing on Runescape? Oh wait....

Sylpheed.png

I agree that most of the people playing 8+ hours a day are in some form of denial. Zarfot is a token example because everybody thought he was 1337 because he would multitask, ran track and was successful at college while playing rs. But in the end he quit. Aasiwat is on a vacation right now because he wants to do more stuff irl. Paperbag seemed like a pretty cool guy who enjoyed his life and had cool relatives and stuff. But in reality, he has anxiety problems and depression. Then there's Novalyfe and a zillion other examples that don't get as much attention, or I won't bother mentioning. I bet drumgun is probably making thousands off of merchanting irl right now, but would probably prefer to use it over something other than rs membership once his physical problem is fixed. And Suomi probably has the same problem as paperbag to a degree (I mean, just look at his aversion to risk). The point is, most people nolifing right now will eventually realize in a few years that they'd have liked spending their time on something other than Runescape right now.

what if an orthodontist works 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, and makes $100K a year? he's not doing enough? for him to play 6 hours of runescape a day would certainly not interfere with his job, and would still leave plenty of time to be social.

you are trying to put universal restrictions on parts of people's lives that are highly dependent on the context.

dude im gunn lay it how i meant it.. also please tell me what tldr is.

I've been wanting to post something like this for a while because I think there are a lot of people who have this problem/don't realise it. I don't wanna get into a stupid flame about work and stuff, at the end of the day your incredibly lucky if you can not work at all and are living by yourself. WHATEVER.

This is a problem that alot of players have that is hardly ever discussed, I would like it if just one person saw this and thought 'yeah maybe I am playing too much'.

I'm pretty bad at vocalising my thoughts so if you want to you can easilly rip me apart in quote chains. If you think this topic doesn't impact you then don't post.

It is undeniable that there are players where playing too much RS is affecting them badly. I want to point that out and hope someone thinks a bit about how much time they're putting into this game and possibly change their habbits if its not working out well. I've had friends on RS who have done 2 days in a row, skipped school or something similar because of an RS problem, and from what I can tell it's fairly common place.

Damn I really am bad at saying what I want to say.. maybe I should edit my original post.

But basically this isn't about putting a limit on it, it's about the general issue of spending too much time on a game and detrimentally affecting your life.

Slypheed:

I said it was extreme. People who need help can;t see it sometimes. If you really believe absolutely noone whos playing RuneScape is messing up their real life then fairplay. I cant be assed to have a flame quote war I genuinely wanna make some people aware of this..

oh and i just search tldr, so u didnt even read my original post but you felt you could make loads of comments taking the piss out of me? thanks mate :thumbdown: