Freakyhair

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if jagex limited people to 20 hours a week then there would be 2 options:

make multiple accounts

play as efficiently as possible in 20 hours

none of which leads to fun which would lead to more people quitting which leads to jagex losing money which leads to the end of rs

You'll be back.

IDGAF about learning to play the guitar or learning the French language. I'd rather play Runescape, hang out with my gf, or go work out. Only difference is I'm not preaching it to others for them to do.

Before you get your socks off over the idea that I'm trying to flame you and point your nose up saying "Told you idc haha fail troll!", I'm trying to give you some advice tbh.

Don't continue to be pushy with your opinion on others. It annoys them. We're old enough to know what we enjoy, we don't need you to tell us how to spend our time. Doing this will lose you friends later in life. Also, work on your discipline and motivation skills if you plan to get far in life, you're going to need them.

Trollbomber.png

Anyone who seriously believes that being controlled (either in a nanny state, or a nanny-corporation) way seriously needs to take a look at themselves and take some damn responsibility for their own actions, whilst also respecting the right of everyone else to do what they want (as long as it's legal of course). It is tiresome seeing posts like these, either regarding RS or IRL stuff (Australian move to censor the internet is a good one) because it is laziness. You want a corporation or the government (lets say, for the point of an argument, the Jagex is both...it is a corporation but governs the game) expect Jagex to impose arbitrary restrictions based on your experience?

For the love of all that is free and true, take some responsibility. And while you're at it, stop telling other people that what they are doing is "wrong".

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

common sense as in its agiven that most people have to work 8 hour days and if you don't know that i can't comprehend what life your living.

i stick by it, maybe 25 i dunno. whatever that was just a vague idea.

also it's hard to determine some stuff by common sense if your judegment gets clouded.

what if an orthodontist works 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, and makes $100K a year? he's not doing enough? for him to play 6 hours of runescape a day would certainly not interfere with his job, and would still leave plenty of time to be social.

you are trying to put universal restrictions on parts of people's lives that are highly dependent on the context.

dude im gunn lay it how i meant it.. also please tell me what tldr is.

I've been wanting to post something like this for a while because I think there are a lot of people who have this problem/don't realise it. I don't wanna get into a stupid flame about work and stuff, at the end of the day your incredibly lucky if you can not work at all and are living by yourself. WHATEVER.

This is a problem that alot of players have that is hardly ever discussed, I would like it if just one person saw this and thought 'yeah maybe I am playing too much'.

I'm pretty bad at vocalising my thoughts so if you want to you can easilly rip me apart in quote chains. If you think this topic doesn't impact you then don't post.

It is undeniable that there are players where playing too much RS is affecting them badly. I want to point that out and hope someone thinks a bit about how much time they're putting into this game and possibly change their habbits if its not working out well. I've had friends on RS who have done 2 days in a row, skipped school or something similar because of an RS problem, and from what I can tell it's fairly common place.

Damn I really am bad at saying what I want to say.. maybe I should edit my original post.

But basically this isn't about putting a limit on it, it's about the general issue of spending too much time on a game and detrimentally affecting your life.

Slypheed:

I said it was extreme. People who need help can;t see it sometimes. If you really believe absolutely noone whos playing RuneScape is messing up their real life then fairplay. I cant be assed to have a flame quote war I genuinely wanna make some people aware of this..

oh and i just search tldr, so u didnt even read my original post but you felt you could make loads of comments taking the piss out of me? thanks mate :thumbdown:

Ok wow, this is getting pretty silly now. I don't know how much clearer I can make my point. YES people play this game too much, NO its not any of your business if they do.

The tl;dr in my first post was reference to my own post not yours.

So much drama on a webforum, my god.

Sylpheed.png

Agreed with the person who said you sound extremely condescending. Tbh you need to get off your high horse, oh wow good for you you're learning guitar and French that doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. So what if people play runescape a lot, who are you to judge? Why do people smoke, do drugs, gamble, or do anything that is supposedly "bad" for them? Because they can. Not everyone lives their life according to what society deems "proper" or "correct", people make their own choices for good or for bad.

The author has a valid point, although he doesn't make it clear, and through his own frustrations, dilutes it quite it a bit.

> Sometimes people don't know what's best for themselves. The author really is just trying to be helpful, a Samaritan by guiding others to a better path. This can be annoying to those who do not want to hear the truth or who ARE in control already.

Wicked has a valid point, expressed quite concisely.

> Games like RuneScape are designed to overwhelm the weak-minded into addiction. Not everyone has "your" innate ability of moderation, and you aren't allowed to look down upon them for their lacking.

I have valid points, too!:

> RuneScape fansites like this one allow for people to go, "Oh, there's someone else spending this much time, there's nothing wrong with me." - They enable destructive behaviors, unfortunately.

And

> RuneScape in particular has altered my perception of time, although I realize and can consciously avoid it: 5, 10, 15 minutes seem like negligible amounts of time when in fact a lot can happen during them.

>> Think about it - Before RuneScape would you have really thought that a Chaotic item was worth spending 10-20 hours obtaining? Normal console games don't force that upon players. 10 hours is a full game, start to finish.

All I really wanted to say, E. Learned a while ago that peoples' minds don't change here, LOL.

2dgucz6.png

>> Think about it - Before RuneScape would you have really thought that a Chaotic item was worth spending 10-20 hours obtaining? Normal console games don't force that upon players. 10 hours is a full game, start to finish.

Not RPG's, which is what RuneScape is. RPG's have way more gameplay than 10 hours.

Big_Stingman.png

Not RPG's, which is what RuneScape is. RPG's have way more gameplay than 10 hours.

Speedrunners beg to differ ;)

td2sig.jpg

Speedrunners? Like people that just blaze through the game by skipping unnecessary content or something and pwning all necessary content? Still, most RPG's do have more than 10 hours of gameplay...

Big_Stingman.png

Speedrunners? Like people that just blaze through the game by skipping unnecessary content or something and pwning all necessary content? Still, most RPG's do have more than 10 hours of gameplay...

Speedrunning isn't how you play the game.

Also, you can't really "beat" Runescape. The only way you sort of beat the game is to finish all the quests/complete the plot. Otherwise, it's just having fun. The only thing (non-MMO) I can sort of compare it to is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is only the best game ever made.

I have 102 total days of playtime on my account, which I've been training for srs since about March 2008. This is an average of a little over 2 hours a day. I'm fairly high leveled, I play at least a couple hours a day, I have a social life. Most people who have similar or even higher stats than me, even some maxed players can juggle all of these things. Yes... attempting to gain 200M in every skill will require some serious time and will probably cause other areas of life to decline, but a) this is a very extreme case and b) so what, it's their life, who are you to judge? The vast majority of high level players have either been playing longer or smarter than the vast majority of noobs/mid-level players. Example. My friend James has about the same amount of playtime as me, but he only has 60M total experience because all he does is PK and the only skills he really trained were strength and magic. Another example: my friend David has about twice the total xp I do in the same time but I wouldn't say RS is a serious impedance to his social life, because he's an extremely effective mercher and trained a lot of buyable, fast skills like Herblore, Construction, and Prayer.

Also of note... I do AFK skills a lot if I want to do my homework at the same time. Example: I hate woodcutting, but I'll get 99 sometime this year because I've had a crapton of homework.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

I think the moderation line has been beaten to a pulp and there's little left to discuss.

An imposed limit would be childish, one has to learn the management of one's own time. If they cannot manage the time they spend playing a video game, college will most be hell on earth for you. But to those who say if someone wants to play 60hours a day, minus exceptions such as recovering from disease/surgery/injury, there obviously is a problem there, which they themselves need to solve. Despite the often prevalent tendency towards Epicureanism, there is more to life then just happiness, especially derived from an alternate reality/fantasy [i.e. a video game]. The fulfillment of one's life based on their own time management is up to themselves however, and the occasional video game is good, but it has to be the person with the problem themselves who over comes their issue of time usage.

Edit: But whoever said people who play video games too much are a waste of human life is an idiot, because human dignity is inalienable regardless of action. And its not like they're harming anyone else, sure they're using their time very poorly but to say they are a waste of human life is just obnoxious and obtuse.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

honestly i'd have to say it's like survival of the fittest

even if they did quit, they don't deserve real jobs or studying at a college if they can't time manage. and seeing as how a majority of these forum users are arguing with you, i doubt they regret it too.

so i mean it's pretty much like win-win. they get to play rs a lot, which means a lot to them, and society will have more competent people in important positions and jobs.

I play Runescape and guitar... learned French when it was a requirement but forgot it all now.

Since I don't want to be a professional musician or anything, all those things are just for fun. There are a couple weeks where I'll play more than 20 hours a week (I was sick a couple weeks in the summer and probably played like 8 hours a day for those weeks, lol), some (most) weeks, I'll play less. It's all about having fun... if someone wants to play 60 hours a week and they're enjoying life, who are you to judge them?

They contribute nothing to society, I'll probably get hate for saying this but they're a waste of human life.

Pretty much this.

Deal with it, scum.

287b5w.jpg

honestly i'd have to say it's like survival of the fittest

even if they did quit, they don't deserve real jobs or studying at a college if they can't time manage. and seeing as how a majority of these forum users are arguing with you, i doubt they regret it too.

so i mean it's pretty much like win-win. they get to play rs a lot, which means a lot to them, and society will have more competent people in important positions and jobs.

Clearly you won't be going to college, you can't even read and understand the comments in this thread.

Sylpheed.png

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is only the best game ever made.

i'll have to disagree by saying that i was thoroughly disappointed by that game. TES3: Morrowind was a MUCH better game.

Oh really? Never played Morrowind, should check it out sometime.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Life is a great thing. Sure there are bad moments, usually from mistakes that happen. But those mistakes are what build character. If someone wants to spend 20+ hours a day playing RuneScape, not caring about the repercussions, then let them. They'll realize sooner or later they made a mistake, and to fix it they'll have to learn how to on their own. You can't have your hand held all the time you know.

j0xPu5R.png

This thread again. It's almost like this board has a schedule of threads it goes through. "Oops, looks like it's time for another "RS is a waste of your life" thread! After that, I think I'll wait half a month then let out a big, fat Wilderness thread! Yeah, that sounds good." :rolleyes:

OT: If you can't moderate your time, screwing up will teach you how to. So if you RS too much, it's your problem, not Jagex's. You shouldn't be expecting everyone to take care of your crap for you, because then you never learn. And then, eventually, there's nobody willing to take care of the crap for everyone else, and people learn the REALLY hard way - without anyone experienced to talk to about it.

a70c7.png

Agreed with the person who said you sound extremely condescending. Tbh you need to get off your high horse, oh wow good for you you're learning guitar and French that doesn't mean you're better than anyone else. So what if people play runescape a lot, who are you to judge? Why do people smoke, do drugs, gamble, or do anything that is supposedly "bad" for them? Because they can. Not everyone lives their life according to what society deems "proper" or "correct", people make their own choices for good or for bad.

The guy who said he played guitar and learned French also said that "he does these for fun, regardless of whether or not they'll provide a purpose in life". He wasn't be condescending at all, it was just a general statement, he didn't say it was good or bad or even mention anything of that nature.

Actually, he was saying you shouldn't judge people on their hobbies just because they don't necessarily provide a purpose in life. Just like how you're judging him for playing piano and learning French.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is only the best game ever made.

i'll have to disagree by saying that i was thoroughly disappointed by that game. TES3: Morrowind was a MUCH better game.

Oh really? Never played Morrowind, should check it out sometime.

Morrowind was EXCELLENT. Oblivion was kind of fun, but it just has this scripted, guided, on rails feel compared to its predecessor that really ruined it for me. Morrowind is a total sandbox game where the main quest often feels like more of an optional thing. The world is freaking huge, you can spend hours just wandering around finding new hidden areas and towns and stores to rob and stuff to do. It's really unique for a single player game, definitely something to check out.

Oh but for the topic yeah this is pretty stupid.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

i'd like to think my stats are half-way decent.

I've played for a long time, near a decade. - During that time

1) graduated highschool with honors

2) Earned a degree from a university

3) hung out with friends

4) accumulated a long list of crazy ex's

5) held down a job since i was 16

6) got promoted to management in a job that uses my uni degree.

7) earned eagle scout

8) enjoy multiple hobbies non runescape related.

9) help run a fansite

10) have what i consider to be a high quality of life.

10b) Wrote and produced a rap song because i always wanted to

10c) wrote a bucketload of poetry

10d) i could make this a 50 point bulletin

During that time on runescape I've

1) Logged a ton of game time (holy hell)

2) Got 99 Melees (Att, str, def, hp)

3) got 99 smithing

4) got 99 fletching

5) got 99 cooking

6) got my stats to 80 so many damn times i've lost count due to new skills

7) pked like a boss

8) ran two clans over a three year period, was in another for 2.5

9) made some great friendships that have lasted a long time and should last a lifetime

10) had fun

I don't think my quality of life would be better without runescape the past 10 years, and infact if you gave me the choice to take away the gametime and redistribute it on my life, i'd say no, because of the friendship,s made and the fact i cant think of much i'd change.

It's all about time management. Whats good for one goose, isn't good for the gander always, but you can certainly play alot of rs, and be satisfied with your life

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

The guy who said he played guitar and learned French also said that "he does these for fun, regardless of whether or not they'll provide a purpose in life". He wasn't be condescending at all, it was just a general statement, he didn't say it was good or bad or even mention anything of that nature.

Actually, he was saying you shouldn't judge people on their hobbies just because they don't necessarily provide a purpose in life. Just like how you're judging him for playing piano and learning French.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the word condescending means.

–adjective

showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority.

Maybe you only read the OP's first post, but you should actually read through the thread a bit to understand where I'm coming from. His responses imply that his life is so much better than everyone else who is "addicted" to runescape, as if he knows these people in real life. Also contrary to what you said I'm not judging him at all, in fact I couldn't give a rat's [cabbage] what his hobbies are, just as the OP should not give a cabbage about what other people do in their spare time especially if he doesn't know them in person.