Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should Players initiate a Class Action Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

brunokiller
[ Display Name History ]

brunokiller

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts
  • RSN:Mej
  • RSN2:Iures
wrong topic

Guest_TrixStar_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_TrixStar_
  • Guests
Hardest ive laughed in i dont even know how long when i saw this thread title

Imalilranger
[ Display Name History ]

Imalilranger

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Imalilranger
  • RSN2:is my main.
  • Clan:Epiphany :DDDD
LETS SUE JAGEX BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE OUTSMARTING THE ANTI BOTTING SYSTEM.

WHILE WERE AT IT LETS MIX SOME ANTIFREEZE WITH FIZZY THROW IN SOME ROTTEN FRUIT AND SELL IT AS A 4 LOKO.

oh wait.

Unless your RSN is "imalil[bleep]er", please keep the title appropriate.

Thank you.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Reason I'd like to sue bot apologists is actually a valid one:

You WANT botting to happen... If it doesn't, you'll say something along the lines of "I much rather gather those D bones myself now, but back when botting existed, I'd pay them to do it.." JUST LIKE you said you wish to see more Pure Ess botters in order to drop the price even more...

Money = incentive, therefor you are encouraging botting :)

This goes for pretty much anyone who much rather sees these low prices due to botting, as opposed to normal prices if actual players were gathering that stuff...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
i had no idea "wanting botting to happen" was a valid reason to sue a person

aren't you like 30? shouldn't you have a tiny grasp on how the legal system operates?

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Stev Peifer

Reason I'd like to sue bot apologists is actually a valid one:

What would that be? Considering that they, as well as the bot developers and users, have done nothing illegal and nothing that you could sue for.

You WANT botting to happen... If it doesn't, you'll say something along the lines of "I much rather gather those D bones myself now, but back when botting existed, I'd pay them to do it.." JUST LIKE you said you wish to see more Pure Ess botters in order to drop the price even more...

Money = incentive, therefor you are encouraging botting :)

I have enough money not to care either way. 99 Prayer could have cost me 800M, it could have cost 100M. Would have got it either way.

Yeah, I personally would benefit from bots... So that means I'm encouraging them? I'm sure you'd love to pay 2x as much for your 99s... [sarcasm] 'Cause if you don't, you're encouraging botting because you desire what they are doing (Lowering prices). [/sarcasm] I've got all the 99s that potentially make money. They could bring gold ore ore to 1gp, magic logs to 1gp, or fish to 1gp for all I care. Sp yeah, I'd appreciate it if they lowered to pure essence prices. Sue me.

This goes for pretty much anyone who much rather sees these low prices due to botting, as opposed to normal prices if actual players were gathering that stuff...

Just because they desire the same end result (Lower prices) does not mean they approve or encourage the means of which it happening.

Tell me, everyone knows of the bots in the chaos tunnels that kill green dragons. Am I encouraging rule breaking if I take advantage of that and go down there to steal their kills (Hit them once, let the bots finish them)? Because I am using bots to my advantage and benefiting from them? Enjoying the low prices that they are providing is no different... Using them to my advantage for cheap 99s and benefiting from them.

09144a99bb.png

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
Lol... nowadays in america any clown can sue you for anything under the sun.
I could see something idiotic like this being tried.
But, I think you would have a better chance of being awarded something if you instead sue kids that hack accounts and steal your stuff.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

SAGE
[ Display Name History ]

SAGE

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  • RSN:SAGE FFS
  • Clan:Echo of Silence
Don't you just hate it when idiots think they can sue over anything and everything.

TL;DR: JAGEX OWNS EVERYTHING. YOU PAY FOR ACCESS TO THEIR P2P FEATURES. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS.

Posted Image

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Don't you just hate it when idiots think they can sue over anything and everything.

TL;DR: JAGEX OWNS EVERYTHING. YOU PAY FOR ACCESS TO THEIR P2P FEATURES. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS.

Exactly. When I worked for BA a while back, we told them, "You have the privilege of playing our game, not the right."

09144a99bb.png

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

But, I think you would have a better chance of being awarded something if you instead sue kids that hack accounts and steal your stuff.

It would be amusing to see someone try to sue a UK company under American law, wouldn't it?

~ W ~

Posted Image

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Wow, there's so many stupid arguments about.

About enjoying the benefits of bots and endorsing it: Just because you enjoy the result of bots being around, it doesn't mean you endorse botting to happen. The end result, may well come from alternative sources (i.e. Fix the skilling/combat system itself) and that would still satisfy the players who enjoyed the benefits of having bots around.

Exploiting bots is a victim-less 'crime', so it's not exactly unethical to do so either.

About suing JaGex because you can 'sue anyone': As someone else pointed out, you can't sue JaGex under US law.

It seems like I'm arguing on a tangent, I'd edit and reply when I wake up

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts
Double post is posted twice.

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

It would be amusing to see someone try to sue a UK company under American law, wouldn't it?

I'm fairly sure you can, as they provide a service to you in America, in the same way that you could sue Volkswagen if your car blew up in America.

Obviously this is a stupid reason to sue Jagex, but if you could make a case against them you could take them to court.

FooK-A-Ji
[ Display Name History ]

FooK-A-Ji

The One And Only

• Members
  • 2,973 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:FooK A Ji
  • RSN2:Flyingtoilet

I'm fairly sure you can, as they provide a service to you in America, in the same way that you could sue Volkswagen if your car blew up in America.

Obviously this is a stupid reason to sue Jagex, but if you could make a case against them you could take them to court.

No you can't.

I think everybody should read the post #16 written by Marco before posting any more about lawsuits.

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

No you can't.

I think everybody should read the post #16 written by Marco before posting any more about lawsuits.

I did read it. I'm not saying you could take jagex to court over this, I'm just saying if you had a legitimate reason to do so, you could.

FooK-A-Ji
[ Display Name History ]

FooK-A-Ji

The One And Only

• Members
  • 2,973 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:FooK A Ji
  • RSN2:Flyingtoilet

No you can't.

I did read it. I'm not saying you could take jagex to court over this, I'm just saying if you had a legitimate reason to do so, you could.

Yes, you could. But not in the United States.

iiLy
[ Display Name History ]

iiLy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 120 posts
No, even if a group of players managed to get a botting programmer into court a few major things would happen to make your idea void of reason.

1. There is no law against botting, except if you really, really stretch out copyright law, but most judges would simply say that using an outside program does not violate copyright as it does not actually affect the coding of the game itself. This is not just my opinion, Jagex has taken around a half dozen programmers to court and only managed to shut down one, and the same people that Jagex had just shut down went and made another website using a new bot.
2. There is always another website filled with amateur programmers willing to pump out the latest RS bots
3. Lack of funding and organisation and adults, the rs average age probably caps out at 15-18 which makes them unable to really hire lawyers to argue a case. About the adults on RS, I seriously doubt that a person with a job, living place, and possibly a family is going to spend the hundreds of hours required to follow through with a lawsuit

To respond to the "Should" part of your post.

No, we shouldn't, it's a game, a video game, why does it matter enough to you or anybody else for that matter.
Posted Image

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

No, we shouldn't, it's a game, a video game, why does it matter enough to you or anybody else for that matter.

I tried playing RL earlier... It was crazy! Yellow text didn't appear over people's heads as they spoke and when I got jumped in the alley for all my stuff, I kept my shoes, pants, and socks over my iPhone and iPod. I was scared and frightened, and so I crept into my basement to forevermore play RS. *Phew*. What a day it has been.

09144a99bb.png

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears
I'm no law student, but just looking at Jagex's very short terms and conditions, there is no legal basis for us to sue them for allowing bots. It is however highly unethical for Jagex to market a fair game then just allow cheaters to trample all over it and perhaps a consumer's protection agency would do more good than a legal firm.

The strongest things we as legit players can do right now is to cancel your membership and find a better company to send your money to. Jagex clearly won't your $5, plenty of bots will replace you.
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

iiLy
[ Display Name History ]

iiLy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 120 posts

I'm no law student, but just looking at Jagex's very short terms and conditions, there is no legal basis for us to sue them for allowing bots. It is however highly unethical for Jagex to market a fair game then just allow cheaters to trample all over it and perhaps a consumer's protection agency would do more good than a legal firm.

The strongest things we as legit players can do right now is to cancel your membership and find a better company to send your money to. Jagex clearly won't your $5, plenty of bots will replace you.

Civilians dying in Africa in massive campaigns of genocide and America sending soldiers to Libya is Unethical.

This is a minor inconvenience, deal with it.

And this is coming from a MAJOR skiller.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users