China > America

Xie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious problem, but i think we'd nuke their asses before we work for them. :\

Gary, defender of Truth, Justice and the American Dream.

Vote Palin 2012

This is a serious problem, but i think we'd nuke their asses before we work for them. :\

Why would you want to kill innocent people?

I don't. But i think that the American gov't would rather use violence to prevent us from being owned by China.

Gary, defender of Truth, Justice and the American Dream.

Vote Palin 2012

I don't. But i think that the American gov't would rather use violence to prevent us from being owned by China.

And how do you think other countries would respond to America nuking China because "We borrowed money and now we don't want to pay it back"? They wouldn't just sit around and say "oh, look, explosions! Pretty!", you know? America would be in deep [cabbage] if they used a nuke nowadays.

16185_s.gif

A few years from now the U.S. will be working for China? Where's most of the manufacturing done these days? Does it seem like the tides will turn any time soon to you?

Either way, it's best to learn from the Chinese than to take advantage of them. Also, what Legend said.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I'm not going to be worried about China, especially when it has its short-sighted and barbaric population controls, disproportionate male-to-female ratio (arguably as a result of population controls), and lack of basic civil rights such as free speech.

At this point in time, China doesn't want the U.S. to fail, because if it did they'd be short-changed.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Seems quite ironic for an American trailer to say that really, considering most of the British Empire was actually sold off to (you guessed it) the US to pay for the Second World War. Don't recall the Greeks ever being the victim of a trade imbalance during a global financial recession either, though my studies on Greece only ever extended to public health and Hippocrates. I'm lead to believe it was warring city states and inherent instability that killed the Greeks, and overexpansion that killed the Roman Empire. So really, America would be the first 'empire' to fall at the hands of government spending, not the fourth, from my perspective at least.

(Sidenote: By the way, if Americans think your government spends a lot of money by GDP compared to most other countries then... this debate ends right here)

I remember that trailer being shown as part of a feature on modern Chinese students' attitudes towards the US and their own country's place in the world on Newsnight (UK, not the US version). I'm trying to find a video but if I recall correctly only one out of five of them was openly extrovert about being proud of that trailer--they were more focused on what students around the world care about, namely careers. A few were even considering looking for employment in America. The masses of Chinese students laughing at the US doesn't seem to exist in reality, but as appeal to fear fallacies go, it's a pretty good one.

Personally, I think the US 'empire' will fall in the future, but as an inherent flaw of capitalism (in that for capitalism to work, there must be capitalisation in order to acquire more capital for generating profit, and eventually there won't be anything left to capitalise), but China will be just as much a victim of that as anyone, considering the Western capitalist world essentially buys all their products, save for a few dodgy regimes buying small arms in sub-Saharan Africa.

I find it laughable that people actually think China has the capability to be the next superpower.

Firstly - they are just as economically dependent on the US as vice versa.

Secondly - their barbaric population controls will make it impossible for their economy to flourish enough to give them any sort of hope for economic stability in the long term.

Though, the US does have a serious debt problem which of course merits looking at. Of course, so do most countries.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's an ad meant to scare people so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Sure China will become the next superpower, but exactly for the reasons Y_Guy stated, I don't see them doing anything detrimental to the US or even the UK.

j0xPu5R.png

But not by a nuke, that's just stupid. :razz: There will be some sort of mass 'revolution' in China instead.

(Backed by the US if you haven't caught on)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Why do people think that the US will never fall from being a super power? Lets do a quick test. Name one thing that is actually still made in the US. Missles ect come to mind but if there are no wars to fight who will actually buy them? The only thing that i've seen in a long while with a made in the US sign was a pen. Sure they have some oil exports from the gulf of mexico but that took a nose dive after the bp explosion. And even with all of their oil production they still have to buy most of their oil from other countries.

In canada right now, especially in alberta, they way we get our oil is we sell our crude oil to the US to refine, then they sell it back to us for a great proffit. Guess what? Alberta is making its own refinery now and when that goes up a great part of canada won't need to buy any oil from the US.

Don't forget that the US is now engaged in several wars around the world, their supplying arms for virtually free to isreal, doing multiple drone attacks into pakistan, ground wars in both afghanistan and iraq, enforcing the no fly zone in libya now, whcih the US just volunteered nato to be the sole enforcer of that. Where do you think all the money for all of this will come from?

tldr- US isn't exporting anything anymore and is slowly going bankrupt. China might not be the next super power but the US is going down.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

tldr- US isn't exporting anything anymore and is slowly going bankrupt. China might not be the next super power but the US is going down.

Last year America exported about $1.3 trillion in goods...

♪♪ And I'm not done

Last year America exported about $1.3 trillion in goods...

and imported?

michel555555.png

Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Name one thing that is actually still made in the US.

The United States of America is the fourth-largest exporter of goods and services in the world, although our GDP eclipses rivals such as China and the entire European Union, showing that we consume many of our goods and services in-country. We also import more than the rest of the world, mainly due to our labor being some of the most highly-valued in the world. American-made clothing, automobile, and raw material sales are increasing overseas. For a long time, we've been the largest exporter of computer materials. Japan exceeds us there in some ways, but Microsoft and Apple are two American corporations which have held the markets in an iron grip for a long time. American crops and livestock feed a massive part of the Western world. Goods I have personal experience with: American cotton (West Texas is the biggest competitor of China and India in cotton production), natural gas (currently heats the majority of many communities in the Western states), corn (used as food, livestock feed, and heavily subsidized as ethanol), alfalfa (livestock and ethanol), hay (livestock), and petroleum products (mostly high-grade fuels, asphalt, greases).

And even with all of their oil production they still have to buy most of their oil from other countries.

Yeah, we do. We're huge, remember? By percentage, we produce a massive amount of our oil - we import roughly 60% I believe, almost all petroleum. We only recently surpassed Canada in our imports, and plenty of other nations imported more by percent.

Don't forget that the US is now engaged in several wars around the world, their supplying arms for virtually free to isreal, doing multiple drone attacks into pakistan, ground wars in both afghanistan and iraq, enforcing the no fly zone in libya now, whcih the US just volunteered nato to be the sole enforcer of that. Where do you think all the money for all of this will come from?

Wars stimulate production, although our economy is predominantly service. We have troops across the world. Bond sales and taxes pay for it all, same way things have been payed for since WWI.

We export a whole lot. We have some of the most powerful banks in the world - our dollar (backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency) has held a high position in currency exchanges for centuries. I'd ask what you mean by going down, but as I've noted, you aren't the most educated on economics or world politics. Please fix that.

EDIT: Oh, wait, here's more!

and imported?

Last I checked, our trade deficit was around $700 billion.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

We export a whole lot. We have some of the most powerful banks in the world - our dollar (backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency) has held a high position in currency exchanges for centuries. I'd ask what you mean by going down, but as I've noted, you aren't the most educated on economics or world politics. Please fix that.

You import a lot more then you export.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_States#International_trade

Ya its wiki but having a hard time finding anything els and only covers for 2008.

In 2008, the total U.S. trade deficit was $695.9 billion,[105] which is $1.8 trillion in exports minus $2.5 trillion in imports.[106] The deficit on petroleum products was $386.3 billion.[107] The trade deficit with China was $266.3 billion, a new record and up from $304 million in 1983.[108] The United States had a $144.1 billion surplus on trade in services, and $821.2 billion deficit on trade in goods in 2008.[109]

And that doesn't count any aid that the US gives to other countries.

(backed by nothing more than our government's word that it's a good currency)

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assets to back it up.

michel555555.png

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assests to back it up.

I didn't realize anyone was still on a precious metal standard...

♪♪ And I'm not done

You import a lot more then you export.

[...]

And that doesn't count any aid that the US gives to other countries.

[...]

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assets to back it up.

Yeah, we do import a lot more than we export. But we also export majorly. I don't think you grasp the concept of GDP - Gross Domestic Product. It's the world market value for all goods and services produced in a nation in a given year, either nominal (using price values for that year) or real (going by whatever year's values you want). We have the largest in the world - our GDP is roughly the same as our national debt, and, depending on who you ask, it is the largest (by some accounts second) in the world (some figures count EU exports to itself, but evened out the EU and US GDPs are close). GDP is what matters. Net exports - shucks, most of the world imports more than they export. Especially in a service-based economy.

Aye, and sees is right - if you think Canada has assets backing up their colorful money, you're quite wrong. Even though an American dollar is only backed by the American government, it's still worth more than a lot of nations'.

All this being said, I do think our nation is in trouble - not from competition, so much as from its own growth. We're growing too much, and not in the right ways. Agriculture is suffering more than it should be, and we are far too dependent on foreign energy resources, and nonrenewable fuels in general. In Texas, the largest power providers get huge percentages of their electricity from wind farms out here in the western part of the state, but it can be faulty, and depending so much on a resource that is not completely dependable has already blown up several times with major outages in the cities to the east. We just need to slow down and take a look at what we're doing. Then, we need to carry on.

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assests to back it up.

Lets say the EU, Russia and China get tired of US posturing and dump the dollar as the worlds reserve currency. Your now screwed because you have nothing backing up your dollar. Countries with high exports don't have that problem because they can then sell their exports for whatever the new currency is. Since you import so much your screwed because you now have nothing to buy those goods with.

Missles ect come to mind but if there are no wars to fight who will actually buy them?

I don't feel like refuting your entire argument because others have already done so, but there will never (ever (ever)) be no wars for more than 10 years.

Shall I get back to you in october when the US will have been in Afghanistan for 10 years?

michel555555.png

Lets say the EU, Russia and China get tired of US posturing and dump the dollar as the worlds reserve currency. Your now screwed because you have nothing backing up your dollar. Countries with high exports don't have that problem because they can then sell their exports for whatever the new currency is. Since you import so much your screwed because you now have nothing to buy those goods with.

That isn't the way the world works. None of those nations have the power to change the most widely-accepted currency in the world. Nobody backs up their currency in modern times. Our currency is backed by our sheer amounts of production, just as every nation's is. The EU as a whole has a huge amount of production, whereas Russian and Chinese GDPs are far lower than their population should dictate. If the United States didn't import as much as we did, the global economy would be destroyed. What magical new country would pop up in this fantasy you're spinning to pay for all these goods?

If you're going to claim that we're "screwed", use better reasoning than "I changed the rules."

That isn't the way the world works. None of those nations have the power to change the most widely-accepted currency in the world. Nobody backs up their currency in modern times. Our currency is backed by our sheer amounts of production, just as every nation's is. The EU as a whole has a huge amount of production, whereas Russian and Chinese GDPs are far lower than their population should dictate. If the United States didn't import as much as we did, the global economy would be destroyed. What magical new country would pop up in this fantasy you're spinning to pay for all these goods?

If you're going to claim that we're "screwed", use better reasoning than "I changed the rules."

But, but... he has money :cry:. I couldn't resist... I'm weak.

ALso I have nothing constructive to add the the discussion, mainly because it's stupid. Nice troll though, w/e the name is of the person who created the thread.