China > America

Xie

You import a lot more then you export.

[...]

And that doesn't count any aid that the US gives to other countries.

[...]

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assets to back it up.

Yeah, we do import a lot more than we export. But we also export majorly. I don't think you grasp the concept of GDP - Gross Domestic Product. It's the world market value for all goods and services produced in a nation in a given year, either nominal (using price values for that year) or real (going by whatever year's values you want). We have the largest in the world - our GDP is roughly the same as our national debt, and, depending on who you ask, it is the largest (by some accounts second) in the world (some figures count EU exports to itself, but evened out the EU and US GDPs are close). GDP is what matters. Net exports - shucks, most of the world imports more than they export. Especially in a service-based economy.

Aye, and sees is right - if you think Canada has assets backing up their colorful money, you're quite wrong. Even though an American dollar is only backed by the American government, it's still worth more than a lot of nations'.

All this being said, I do think our nation is in trouble - not from competition, so much as from its own growth. We're growing too much, and not in the right ways. Agriculture is suffering more than it should be, and we are far too dependent on foreign energy resources, and nonrenewable fuels in general. In Texas, the largest power providers get huge percentages of their electricity from wind farms out here in the western part of the state, but it can be faulty, and depending so much on a resource that is not completely dependable has already blown up several times with major outages in the cities to the east. We just need to slow down and take a look at what we're doing. Then, we need to carry on.

You still fail to see that the USD is getting weaker. If the Canadian government hadn't purposely done stuff to help all the companies exporting to the US by lowering the value of the CAD, Canadian money would be worth more than the USD.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still fail to see that the USD is getting weaker. If the Canadian government hadn't purposely done stuff to help all the companies exporting to the US by lowering the value of the CAD, Canadian money would be worth more than the USD.

In recent times, the USD is getting stronger if anything. That or the Euro is getting weaker, but I haven't paid any attention to the EU - I just know that they're no longer far ahead of the dollar. I personally am surprised that Kanadian Kash is worth quite a bit less than the dollar, seeing as Canada is our biggest trading partner. We ought to be equals.

Of course, having a currency that's too powerful can be bad for a country. We would likely export more if our currency was weaker.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

In recent times, the USD is getting stronger if anything. That or the Euro is getting weaker, but I haven't paid any attention to the EU - I just know that they're no longer far ahead of the dollar. I personally am surprised that Kanadian Kash is worth quite a bit less than the dollar, seeing as Canada is our biggest trading partner. We ought to be equals.

Of course, having a currency that's too powerful can be bad for a country. We would likely export more if our currency was weaker.

Jeez, could this post be any more wrong? Both the CAD and the Euro are ahead of the USD.

Jeez, could this post be any more wrong? Both the CAD and the Euro are ahead of the USD.

You wanna prove you statement before we take it as fact? kthx.

You wanna prove you statement before we take it as fact? kthx.

I'll like to remind that Lent never said USD > EU, just that EU is falling and USD is rising.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The Canadian dollar has been higher for a while now. Not that that means the US economy is going to collapse any time soon though.

Lol, guess I didn't keep myself updated on this.

You import a lot more then you export.

[...]

And that doesn't count any aid that the US gives to other countries.

[...]

Which is the whole reason your screwed. Your money is literally worth the paper its printed on. You have no hard assets to back it up.

Yeah, we do import a lot more than we export. But we also export majorly. I don't think you grasp the concept of GDP - Gross Domestic Product. It's the world market value for all goods and services produced in a nation in a given year, either nominal (using price values for that year) or real (going by whatever year's values you want). We have the largest in the world - our GDP is roughly the same as our national debt, and, depending on who you ask, it is the largest (by some accounts second) in the world (some figures count EU exports to itself, but evened out the EU and US GDPs are close). GDP is what matters. Net exports - shucks, most of the world imports more than they export. Especially in a service-based economy.

Aye, and sees is right - if you think Canada has assets backing up their colorful money, you're quite wrong. Even though an American dollar is only backed by the American government, it's still worth more than a lot of nations'.

All this being said, I do think our nation is in trouble - not from competition, so much as from its own growth. We're growing too much, and not in the right ways. Agriculture is suffering more than it should be, and we are far too dependent on foreign energy resources, and nonrenewable fuels in general. In Texas, the largest power providers get huge percentages of their electricity from wind farms out here in the western part of the state, but it can be faulty, and depending so much on a resource that is not completely dependable has already blown up several times with major outages in the cities to the east. We just need to slow down and take a look at what we're doing. Then, we need to carry on.

Currencies float and are adjusted in value by central banks based upon the particulars of the economic situation at the time. At the moment a cheap dollar is advantageous to the American economy because it makes exports cheaper and helps American business, so that's the policy the Fed has pursued.

Day to day monetary prices mean little in the long run.

The Canadian dollar has been higher for a while now. Not that that means the US economy is going to collapse any time soon though.

Lol, guess I didn't keep myself updated on this.

Huh, wow, I had no idea.

The Chinese have a 20times better work ethic than any western country.

They also have a lot more people, a lot more money.

Soon they'll get freedom of speech (although from what I can tell most Chinese arn't fazed by it) and then yeah, they'll be the new superpower :thumbup:

Same with India, I like Chinese culture though so I dunt care.

Today it was in the news that China is the 4th biggest publisher of scientific research. Trust me, they're hoarding money and soon.. muhaha.

Also when they finally yet the RMB(quai :)) be controlled by the world market things will change drastically.

Sichen (I dont no how to spell chinese :()

That's why they do manual labor for us.

Totally false, US has a higher GDP.

Soon they'll get freedom of speech (although from what I can tell most Chinese arn't fazed by it) and then yeah, they'll be the new superpower :thumbup:

Having freedom of speech makes you a superpower?

Today it was in the news that China is the 4th biggest publisher of scientific research. Trust me, they're hoarding money and soon.. muhaha.

US was probably #1

Haha Americans =D> . I can't find data for recent publications, in the last 10 years america is faarr aahead. But here..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

China has so much money it's silly, the US has a massive defecit, so does the UK. China has hoards of foreign currency. Why can't you accept it mate.

Stop being so patriotic perhaps?

Right now they do labour, soon they will do all the jobs that we do well, but for longer and better.

Having freedom of speech and movement begins to enable to inevitable.

I don't get how you can possibly not think this is happening, I swear at school like 6 years ago they were telling us China will probably be the new superpower soon.

Oh well I like seeing Americans post about their country. It's funny. Us Europeans seem a lot more willing to accept it's going down the pan. <3:

That's why they do manual labor for us.

Totally false, US has a higher GDP.

Having freedom of speech makes you a superpower?

US was probably #1

Haha Americans =D> . I can't find data for recent publications, in the last 10 years america is faarr aahead. But here..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

China has so much money it's silly, the US has a massive defecit, so does the UK. China has hoards of foreign currency. Why can't you accept it mate.

Stop being so patriotic perhaps?

Right now they do labour, soon they will do all the jobs that we do well, but for longer and better.

Having freedom of speech and movement begins to enable to inevitable.

I don't get how you can possibly not think this is happening, I swear at school like 6 years ago they were telling us China will probably be the new superpower soon.

Oh well I like seeing Americans post about their country. It's funny. Us Europeans seem a lot more willing to accept it's going down the pan. <3:

Wait, you're saying Chinese in general have better work ethics than westerners? Why? Can you prove this at all? I'm sorry, but all I hear here is blunt opinionatedness. Also, why will they do jobs westerners do better as a whole? Honestly, you're the one who's sounding nationalistic right now.

As was said before me: Freedom of speech has nothing to do with being a superpower. The USSR was a superpower, after all.

And China has an aging population, which will not help at all when it comes to becoming a superpower.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I find it laughable that people actually think China has the capability to be the next superpower.

Firstly - they are just as economically dependent on the US as vice versa.

Secondly - their barbaric population controls will make it impossible for their economy to flourish enough to give them any sort of hope for economic stability in the long term.

Though, the US does have a serious debt problem which of course merits looking at. Of course, so do most countries.

Everything you said is basically incorrect.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

I find it laughable that people actually think China has the capability to be the next superpower.

Secondly - their barbaric population controls will make it impossible for their economy to flourish enough to give them any sort of hope for economic stability in the long term.

Though, the US does have a serious debt problem which of course merits looking at. Of course, so do most countries.

Uh...?

Read part 4 of the article linked to at the bottom of this post. The work ethic is almost just forced on them because they have no alternative. One of the reasons for that work ethic is they know they can't change anything about how they work. The police are called if a worker refuses to do his job (right to strike was removed in 1982).

The number of people is irrelevant. China has loads of money because the U.S. and other countries buy their products. China depends on other countries to thrive just like any other country.

I'm not sure where you got that from. China giving it's people freedom of speech would be a stupid move. China is a communist country and communism is working very well for them because they run everything with no backlash from people. Give those people freedom of speech and they ask for more freedoms which would eventually lead to rebellion, riot, etc. Not to sound harsh or anything.

Awesome, so you're biased to China? So why are you making fun of people who are biased to the U.S.? I'm referring to your reply a few posts up when you said "Stop being so patriotic perhaps?", you're certainly not being patriotic but you're showing bias. Which in my opinion completely makes your argument invalid.

So being 4th makes you the best now? I want this insider info you must have of what China is going to do with the money that they have "hoarded" by the way.

Also when they finally yet the RMB(quai :)) be controlled by the world market things will change drastically.

Add English to the list of languages you can't spell in. Even with spell check.

I'm not arguing whether China may or may not become an economic superpower or that the U.S. may or may not be going downhill, I'm arguing that China won't control the world. My point is why would China want to change anything if everything is working so well for them now.

Oh and in my opinion this article is a good read on why China is quickly becoming an economic superpower.

Red China, Inc. Does Communism Work After All?

China > America in certain aspects but America > China in others. Neither is completely better than the other. America's economy sucks, China's standard of living sucks. Both have their pros and cons.

I'm 99% sure you won't read any of the article before saying anything and you'll probably end up posting more mindless dribble that you're pulling out of your ass so that's all I have to say about this.

Oh and I don't support communism for all you reading this thinking "omg he likes communism". I'm just saying communism works economically for China.

Uh...?

Hmm...?

I will put my boots on.

Uh...?

Hmm...?

So do us a favor and go through point by point, providing counter examples.

I'll help you out:

1. China is not economically dependent on the US because of ________________.

2. China's population controls help their economy and allow it to run smoother because of _________________.

3. The US doesn't have a serious debt problem since _______________ and also ________________.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Guys, I know you're well meaning and all, but I was convince by the their first post. I just can't compete with their reasons or sources.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I thought you were trolling at first. China is already an international superpower, no doubt about that.

There's no way that China is as strongly dependent on the US as the US is on China. The US owes China billions and the only reason why consumer goods and electronics are affordable for many Americans is because of China.

Controlling overpopulation through limitations is hardly barbaric--it benefits the greater good in that population density is manageable as is food supply.

Definitely not on the same scale...

All in all, nice try kiddo?

I will put my boots on.

I thought you were trolling at first. China is already an international superpower, no doubt about that.

There's no way that China is as strongly dependent on the US as the US is on China. The US owes China billions and the only reason why consumer goods and electronics are affordable for many Americans is because of China.

Controlling overpopulation through limitations is hardly barbaric--it benefits the greater good in that population density is manageable as is food supply.

1)Power maybe, but not a superpower.

2)If China (Excluding ROC) disappeared tomorrow, the US would undoubtedly be hurt, but they would survive. However, if America either disappeared, or severed all ties with China, China would be ruined. They'd have no market for their goods, and their economy would collapse

3) Whether it's morally right or not, it will hurt china when the majority of their population is too old to work

4) A lot of countries are in debt right now. While the debt to china is a concern, it's not like China can just walk over and demand the money though.

2)If China (Excluding ROC) disappeared tomorrow, the US would undoubtedly be hurt, but they would survive. However, if America either disappeared, or severed all ties with China, CHina would be ruined. They'd have no market for their goods, and their economy would collapse

3) Whether it's morally right or not, it will hurt china when the majority of their population is too old to work

4) A lot of countries are in debt right now. While the debt to china is a concern, it's not like China can just walk over and demand the money though.

Every time a thread that mentions China comes up, there's always those who are in denial.

Only one reason I can think of, because China is Communist. Therefore, relationships with the West are not on the best of terms. Which means you people only receive information from one side of the spectrum.

Myself, I have spent half my life in China and half in Canada+America. I have first hand experience in both countries. China is indeed already a superpower, and if they disappeared tomorrow, I doubt the US would do any better than China if the US disappeared.

I'm not going to get into which country is greater than the other, blah blah blah, but China is alot stronger and has more influence than some of you know.

Staurolite.png

Read part 4 of the article linked to at the bottom of this post. The work ethic is almost just forced on them because they have no alternative. One of the reasons for that work ethic is they know they can't change anything about how they work. The police are called if a worker refuses to do his job (right to strike was removed in 1982).

It's also their culture, it's the same in Thailand and they arn't forced to work, granted a lot of them need money, but even so they still work their asses off. Sorry I don;t have tiome to reaad the article right now, maybe later. But when I look at asian families in Britain they usually work 10times harder that Brits, and I'm not talking about ilegal immmigrants with no money.

The number of people is irrelevant. China has loads of money because the U.S. and other countries buy their products. China depends on other countries to thrive just like any other country.

Right now, they don't depend that much though, they are owed money by a lot of countries, have a lot of farmable land and a lot of oil supplies. I wouldn't say they're anywhere near as dependent as the US or Europe even more..

I'm not sure where you got that from. China giving it's people freedom of speech would be a stupid move. China is a communist country and communism is working very well for them because they run everything with no backlash from people. Give those people freedom of speech and they ask for more freedoms which would eventually lead to rebellion, riot, etc. Not to sound harsh or anything.

Yeah it would be a stupid move for the few in power. But there's riots fairly often in China now. I think it'll have to happen as a redult of them becoming a first world country. But then the majority of han don't seem to give a crap.

Awesome, so you're biased to China? So why are you making fun of people who are biased to the U.S.? I'm referring to your reply a few posts up when you said "Stop being so patriotic perhaps?", you're certainly not being patriotic but you're showing bias. Which in my opinion completely makes your argument invalid.

No of course not, I'm not living in China so my country would suffer.

So being 4th makes you the best now? I want this insider info you must have of what China is going to do with the money that they have "hoarded" by the way.

No, it was also that they're going to take over the US in around 2 years. So that makes them the best.

I dunno what they'll do with money, something evil. :ph34r:

Add English to the list of languages you can't spell in. Even with spell check.

That's just low man, who cares u can still read it. I'm not writing a bloody essay I'm writing on a forum, your lucky I'm punctuating right now if it annoys you so much. :S

I'm not arguing whether China may or may not become an economic superpower or that the U.S. may or may not be going downhill, I'm arguing that China won't control the world. My point is why would China want to change anything if everything is working so well for them now.

Oh and in my opinion this article is a good read on why China is quickly becoming an economic superpower.

Red China, Inc. Does Communism Work After All?

China > America in certain aspects but America > China in others. Neither is completely better than the other. America's economy sucks, China's standard of living sucks. Both have their pros and cons.

I'm 99% sure you won't read any of the article before saying anything and you'll probably end up posting more mindless dribble that you're pulling out of your ass so that's all I have to say about this.

Oh and I don't support communism for all you reading this thinking "omg he likes communism". I'm just saying communism works economically for China.

I didn't read it \:D/ !

I'm not that interested. I just find it really funny how patriotic you Americans are that you feel you have to defend it so much. I'm not really bias towards China becoming a superpower, I'd much rather it stayed the way it was now. Better for me. Where will I backpack when the world's economy begins to even out :(

Quite a lot of what you said is right aswell, I don't have anything to back up what I say. Don't care either, the whole constantly linking on a forum pisses me off.

(I want OP to post again since he is from China_

=P~

I think if either the US or China severed relations with the other, they would relatively quickly begin something of isolationism - pouring all their resources into their own nation. China would have to find someone to export more too, so they'd probably sell goods even cheaper to the EU and other places, whereas the US sells a lot more capital goods, so those can be used in whatever factories are built to provide consumer goods to Americans. They'll be more expensive, to be sure. But who can truly know what would happen? We just make guesses.

I personally believe China as a whole, yes, is a superpower. But it's a superpower without many teeth, since it is economically more dependent on the rest of the world than the US or EU - few of the goods produced there would be sought-after by Chinese people, whereas Western capital goods are used here already.

Meh.

2)If China (Excluding ROC) disappeared tomorrow, the US would undoubtedly be hurt, but they would survive. However, if America either disappeared, or severed all ties with China, China would be ruined. They'd have no market for their goods, and their economy would collapse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

Scroll down.

Wrong again. Look at Chinese exports, what percent go to America? (It's less than 30%).

China obviously does not have a shortage of labor...

Yeah, they can definitely demand their money. Also, the relative debt the US has is far greater than any other nation.

Again, nice try.

I will put my boots on.

Wrong again. Look at Chinese exports, what percent go to America? (It's less than 30%).

China obviously does not have a shortage of labor...

Yeah, they can definitely demand their money. Also, the relative debt the US has is far greater than any other nation.

2 - It may be less than 30%, but its still #1 on the list. Losing your #1 customer hurts.

3. China has a looming problem - the current ratio of male births to females births is currently at 1.13 - and under 15 is at 1.17. A healthy population is much nearer to 1 - basically what this means is China is becoming a huge sausage fest. This can be directly attributed to their population controls.

4. If China demands its debt, the US will likely default. All of a sudden a large portion of China's wealth will vanish. Rationally, there is no reason to do that.

Also, the US debt/gdp ratio is about 100% - which is lower than it was in 1945. There is still room to expand without too much cause for alarm, however with the current administration I have my doubts. 2012 can't come soon enough.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪