How much is Runescape's entertainment worth to you?

Troll Bomber

Membership Fees  

180 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be willing to pay a month for membership?

• Raise it higher and I'm outa here
    • $10 but not a dime higher
    • $20 is pushing it, but I'll pay to play.
    • I play enough that $30 seems reasonable.
    • I'd be willing to pay $40+ I play so much.

-$5 a month as it is now.

-$8 a month for better customer support.

-$10 a month if bots didn't exist.

-$12 a month if it has everything above mentioned AND old graphics.

^^ yeah i'd pay $15-20 easy if jagex made enough changes that i liked.

idd pay 30 bucks if idd get all my skills to 99 for free.....and free candy!!!

Seriously Jagex should do what they used to do, update things that need updating and leave things alone that are good, lately they have been screwing up much.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said $10. Still pretty cheap.

Only way I'd pay more is if they improved customer support and overall reliability. For me, that's the big thing.

Reliability: Numerous errors in knowledge base that never get fixed, Jagex Mods spouting incorrect information, game breaking bugs and oversights, etc.

Customer support: It sucks. Seriously. People who have been playing (paying for years) get insta-banned when some random kid in the GE reports something that is taken out of context. When they appeal they get an automated response telling them to follow the rules next time.

You're paying for a set allotment of time, not for the time you put in. So calculating ingame time has no bearing on monthly payment, seeing as you could pay 6$ and not play 1 minute that month.

You're totally wrong. I spend X amount of money for Y amount of gaming hours. If I play 300 hours in 1 month and none during the other, and pay $6 for each, in the end I still paid $12 for 300 hours of game time. If your argument is that the price is too high because I don't play during some months - guess what, I consistently play a fair bit of time each month. If not, I cancel my subscription.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really find playing Runescape "inefficient". I pay about 5 cents an hour to have fun. Sounds like a deal to me.

I'm sure it's not just you, but consider this. As far as I can see your lowest level is 67, which means you've invested quite a bit of time into each skill - though more into some than others. Have you ever thought "I hate this skill, I don't want to train it"? If the answer is yes, guess what - that much time was wasted not actually having fun, however you go around it. Have you ever done cooking semi-AFKing while watching a movie (for example)? In that case, it wasn't RuneScape that gave you the entertainment, but the movie or whatever. Of course, if every single moment of your RuneScape career was spent having fun, then RS is a pretty great investment for you, but I doubt that's so.

Sadly most of my "skills" are low due to the fact that I enjoy slayer/combat more atm. I levelled most of them just enough for quest requirements, some others just because I was bored. The fact for me though is that I do things in RS that I may find boring at the time, but because I believe the reward at the end is worth it. Example would be when I went for my fire cape (7th attempt) last night. I dreaded going to fc in the past, but after finally getting it, I was definitely glad I did. Same goes with 85 DG and numerous other skills.

TL:DR, some people find that satisfaction gained from acheiving level/item X > time/effort put into gaining it. It's different for everyone.

Trollbomber.png

You're paying for a set allotment of time, not for the time you put in. So calculating ingame time has no bearing on monthly payment, seeing as you could pay 6$ and not play 1 minute that month.

You're totally wrong. I spend X amount of money for Y amount of gaming hours. If I play 300 hours in 1 month and none during the other, and pay $6 for each, in the end I still paid $12 for 300 hours of game time. If your argument is that the price is too high because I don't play during some months - guess what, I consistently play a fair bit of time each month. If not, I cancel my subscription.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really find playing Runescape "inefficient". I pay about 5 cents an hour to have fun. Sounds like a deal to me.

I'm sure it's not just you, but consider this. As far as I can see your lowest level is 67, which means you've invested quite a bit of time into each skill - though more into some than others. Have you ever thought "I hate this skill, I don't want to train it"? If the answer is yes, guess what - that much time was wasted not actually having fun, however you go around it. Have you ever done cooking semi-AFKing while watching a movie (for example)? In that case, it wasn't RuneScape that gave you the entertainment, but the movie or whatever. Of course, if every single moment of your RuneScape career was spent having fun, then RS is a pretty great investment for you, but I doubt that's so.

I get enjoyment out of setting goals and accomplishing them. I don't see why everything has to be immediate satisfaction (heh).

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I choose to pay nothing. If Runescape stopped being free I would not play.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Honestly, I wouldn't mind especially if what Blade said would occur. Now, there should be some sort of "discount" thing if you were to have more than one account. For example, if they raised it to $10 a month, and I had 2 accounts, I wouldn't want to pay $10 each. Instead, maybe they could have a 2 accounts $15 a month deal. Seems like a legit idea, but would need some work.

No1s_Perfect.png

It's entertainment (if you wanna call it that) is worth so little to me that I'd sell my account for $1 if I could. Just kidding obviously... I'd probly never see that dollar.

[hide]Don't ban me mods it's a joke. :wink: [/hide]

Also I think this guy is a JaGeX Mod undercover and it secretly polling us.

Ok, you said it's a joke in hide tags, but just throwing it out there, looking at your account on the highscores, not that I really know about such things, but you could get significantly more then a dollar for your account, just saying...

i'd be willing to pay $20 a month if i knew all $20 would go towards improving the game, cracking down on illegitimate players (members or not!), and would not be funneled into developing the next JaGEx MMORPG

I would agree with those restrictions for $20 a month. :thumbup:

This. Hell, scratch out the new MMORPG part, replace that with making skills more fun and/or less grindy to train.

It's entertainment (if you wanna call it that) is worth so little to me that I'd sell my account for $1 if I could. Just kidding obviously... I'd probly never see that dollar.

[hide]Don't ban me mods it's a joke. :wink: [/hide]

Also I think this guy is a JaGeX Mod undercover and it secretly polling us.

Hehe I can assure you I'm not :wink:

I can assure you that a JaGex Mod undercover would say that.

A pint of beer costs more than this game does a month at the moment.

lol

It's not just about the price you see. Look at your Adventurers' Log and see how much time you played, then calculate how much you have already spent on RS. I spent something like $150, I suppose, for 50 days of gametime.That's 1200 hours. I could name two games off the top of my head together with which I spent at least 500-600 - and they definitely did cost less than $50 together. While playing those games (UT 2004 and Age of Mythology, to name those two examples) close to 100% of my invested time is spent... well, having fun. A large portion of my RS time was spent grinding hoping I'd have fun in the future. So, I'd say that in the end, I had the same amount of fun with UT2004+AoM as with RuneScape, and the latter was much more expensive, while also wasting a lot of my time (so, in terms of money, we could say I actually paid twice the amount above). This may vary from person to person but I'm sure that the vast majority can say that RuneScape is a terribly inefficient way to spend your money on games. Therefore I have the right to expect high value for my money, even if it does cost less than a pint of beer (over where you live even, here it doesn't).

Hopefully this also shuts down this "haha, poor noob"-kind of argument once and for all.

Oh. My. God. The efficiency trolls are now talking about using your time/money efficiently on video games.

I feel like we've reached some sort of paradox which should cause the universe to implode while simultaneously exploding.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I already pay $10/month for this account. If they changed some minor things for me I'd go to $15-20 probably.

Yes, its a game, no, I don't enjoy watching my character cook sharks. I get satisfaction from raising levels and accomplishing goals. Strange as that may sound.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

The reason why Runescape is so cheap is because it looks and plays like crap. If they raised the price they would have to justify it (like not waiting 10 years to have actual Clan Support, having movement that isn't laggy as sin, etc).

Also, it says a lot that most of the community thinks they will quit Runescape if Jagex raises the price. Shows that even the players of Runescape don't believe that its worth much money. (Even though most of these people are just voting like that because they know their parents will get mad when they see the RS cost raised on their monthly bills).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a good reason I don't play wow, and that's because it costs $20 a month - which to me is an absolute RIP. I think $10 a month is the maximum any successful MMORPG should charge for P2P status. Anything higher is just greed in my opinion. I mean, if you offer a relatively fair price, you'll attract MORE customers, at least that is my logic. Heck, if I owned a petrol station I'd keep my prices the same, that way people want my business rather than the more expensive companies.

I think it should stay the same. Currently I pay 9 or 10$ NZ a month, which is fair to me. It's different for everyone though, depending on where you are in the world.

2vuhgcn.png

RS isn't the only free/cheap game on the internet and I think there are plenty games out there that do a better job than the f2p and arguably the p2p version of RS, although that's just my preference. anyways so to me it isn't worth the $5, let alone more

$10 is the highest I would go, although I'd rather have it stay the same. Other games (such as World of Warcraft) have better graphics and a higher selection of gameplay. That being said I wouldn't play it because I still wouldn't pay $20+ for that.

j0xPu5R.png

I choose to pay nothing. If Runescape stopped being free I would not play.

This. Since Runescape's paying system isn't based on real time, I don't have that much time to be able to get the most out of my membership.

If membership prices rose I would raeg.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Paying 72$ a year to play this game, in addition to the cost of Internet, electricity, and initially a computer is enough for me. I wouldn't want to pay more whether it's bot riddled or bot free. Don't give Jagex any ideas on upping the price btw.

I agree. And i don't think they use their cash to make Runescape better, they want to make more games. And that's understandable, but for us playing Runescape, less content and stuff.

There is a good reason I don't play wow, and that's because it costs $20 a month - which to me is an absolute RIP. I think $10 a month is the maximum any successful MMORPG should charge for P2P status. Anything higher is just greed in my opinion. I mean, if you offer a relatively fair price, you'll attract MORE customers, at least that is my logic. Heck, if I owned a petrol station I'd keep my prices the same, that way people want my business rather than the more expensive companies.

I think it should stay the same. Currently I pay 9 or 10$ NZ a month, which is fair to me. It's different for everyone though, depending on where you are in the world.

Blizzard charges that much because unlike JaGeX they give fantastic customer support and update/fix things regularly. Not only do they do it regularly, they do it quickly. On top of that; scheduled server maintenance to ensure the game doesn't crash. 15$/Month for WoW is a perfect price.

-$5 a month as it is now.

-$8 a month for better customer support.

-$10 a month if bots didn't exist.

-$12 a month if it has everything above mentioned AND old graphics.

^^ yeah i'd pay $15-20 easy if jagex made enough changes that i liked.

This sounds good to me! The cheap-ness of runescape is definitely one thing that keeps me around. Also my clan, and the general atmosphere of the game. I think I find grinding fun sometime. :D If they wanted me to pay as much as other MMO's (say WoW) they'd definitely have to up their service and customer support to the same level as other games (like WoW... I recently had a debacle on my untouched-since-I-started-playing WoW account and was very pleased with their customer service. :D).

EDIT: Anyone else using Draynor.net signatures, and find they aren't updating? PM me if you have a solution! I've definitely gained levels and stuff after March 18...)

Blakdragon39.png

I pay 8,369865 U.S. dollars per month (uro for the win!), so I could easily also pay 10 dollars for a month. Anything more than that would be a push, though. Of course if they promised more great quests and better updates, I might even crank it up to 15 dollars (10.66 euros).

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

I've never played RuneScape as a solitary gaming interest (as in, I play it only when I'm also playing other games so I have something else to do when RS got boring). £40ish a year, plus the start-up cost for Internet, PC and electricity is a good price when weighed up against other personal expenses such as XBL, music, travel costs for going out and playing equipment/drinks for football.

Frankly, the gaming experience itself isn't good enough to warrant more than that. If it did cost more, I'd spend the money elsewhere to keep myself occupied.

I would pay max 10. Would probably still play if it's more, but I would be very upset -.-

On offtopic, NerdBomber, it's scary how similar our stats are!

Autist.png

Nerdbomber34.png

Seriously, what the hell?

Margus.png

$10. Raise it higher and I'm outa here.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~