Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy100

Guzoo Zoo

Has anyone else seen/heard of the Guzoo zoo? Its a roadside zoo in Alberta, and the animals in it have been massively mistreated. It is run by a couple of farmers who have admitted to knowing nothing about keeping animals, yet they have lions, tigers, and assorted monkeys there. It is a really disgusting place, and there is a facebook group set up to shut it down. Don't look at the pictures if you are offended by this kind of stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9518425359&v=wall

If this is true, something needs to be done, but a Facebook protest group is hardly a reliable source.

There are a lot of places like that. Kinda sad really. I mean there are people who know what they are doing and can successfully run a operation like a private zoo, but really it should be left to those places that actually work for the species survival and education, rather than these private people just keeping them as a hobby or to make money. As an actual zookeeper, I've really come to despise these roadside attractions. We helped shut down a place here in northern Minnesota, but the place ended up just selling their animals to another roadside place. Sad thing is, even if the animals aren't in satisfactory living conditions, many places allow this mistreatment to go on. Generally there are specific guidelines in keeping exotic animals, but even they are far below standards agreed upon by the experts. So essentially as long as they follow the bare minimum standards, they get away with stuff like that.

Any proper zoo facility should be accredited by the AZA, Association of Zoos and Aquariums. That way they have to pass specific inspections by experts to insure the place is up to code and the animals are being cared for.

The good thing though is, states and cities are finally passing laws to make exotic animal ownership even harder and making tougher guidelines. Every once in a while you hear about animals escaping and people getting killed. Only then usually is something ever done about toughening up the laws.

another problem is places where canned hunts are legal. Happens in certain states here in America. Places can actually raise exotic animals such as lions and tigers, and "hunters" can pay to come and shoot them. Pretty lame to shoot a caged animal, especially one that was fed by humans and imprinted to not fear them. I enjoy hunting myself and I'm not a crazy vegetarian animal rights activist or anything like that but being around animals my entire life I'm pretty passionate about certain things. Some of these causes really need to be supported to help shut down certain places and ban certain practices that harm these animals.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

I looked through a bunch of the pictures - so sad :( Sounds like it has been like this for a LONG time (like 10 years). Sad to think that nothing has been done..

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

America needs an organisation like the British RSPCA which as far as I know has legal powers to shut down places like that and put the owners in jail.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Disgusting.....that's all I can really say. Something about a caged animal, even at well-kept zoos, gets me every time. They should be in the wild, not caged for display.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

As I always say on these threads, the situation of these animals is regrettable, but let's help the humans in need first.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

America needs an organisation like the British RSPCA which as far as I know has legal powers to shut down places like that and put the owners in jail.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

As I always say on these threads, the situation of these animals is regrettable, but let's help the humans in need first.

Humans can help themselves but animals controlled by humans cannot. We need to help those who cannot help themselves, but I agree, a human life takes precedent over an animal life any day.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I agree that animals belong in the wild opposed to captivity, but the main purpose behind zoos is education and getting the word out there that these animals need protecting. Donations and public support is what helps raise the money that gets put to use to save the wild populations. Not to mention that some species are so critically endangered that the breeding programs at these zoos is the only hope they have left for the species survival in the wild. Zoos really aren't money making ventures. They rely on a lot of outside funding to keep operating. Yea a few animals have to live in captivity, in some cases the majority of the worlds surviving populations, but in the long term they benefit from it. Without zoos we would have already lost a lot more species than we already have.

Places like that roadside place, should have no legal means of operating. Especially with conditions like that.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg

Wow, I just saw the pictures and that's just pure indecency. I understand not all roadside zoos can be luxorious as huge, public zoos or well financial, but how the hell are you going to bring a monkey and except it to live in the snow? Let birds live in their own crap, and lions in a cage smaller than an RV home?

There's no reason why anyone should do this to an animal or human besides just being spiteful.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

When it comes right down to it though, humans are the dominant species on this planet, and as long as we are, the other things'll always be mistreated/used for our own personal gains. Put the zoo owners in jail, and charge the public should they want to throw tomatoes/eggs at them. Disgrace'm enough until they join peta.

div>

Ugh, I hate looking at pictures of mistreated animals, so sad.

Animals used for food production are mistreated like this daily but nothing is done because it keeps food prices low. While I do hope these animals are able to have better living conditions, I am still baffled by how many people have such a double standard for how they perceive inhumane treatment of animals.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

^ Totally agree.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg