New rig for BF3

dragon246665

So since this topic has a lot to do with gaming builds I have a quick question that someone may be able to answer. I just build my first system a few weeks ago and I'm getting blue screens, internet explorer closes, the runescape client will randomly close, and the system is a little unstable. I'm starting to believe it's the graphics card driver after doing some searching around. Others have apparently had some issues as well.

Gygabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t

8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz

Asus HD5770

OCZ 60Gb SSD - OS and programs

2 1Tb Caviar Black/Green for files set in Raid 1 through windows 7

Bluray burner, DVD drive

I also added an old nvidea 7600GT into the second PCI Express slow to support a third monitor as the asus 5770 does not support eyefinity. The crashes were occuring prior to the addition of the second graphics card.

Any Thoughts?

Start your own thread mate, kinda counts as thread hijacking.

OT: I would be wary of having 2 cards crossfired/sli'd as an initial build, you're kinda slowed by that 8x pci. Just go for a 6970 I guess, or hell, a 6990 XD

Thanks, I'll create a new one. :)

So since this topic has a lot to do with gaming builds I have a quick question that someone may be able to answer. I just build my first system a few weeks ago and I'm getting blue screens, internet explorer closes, the runescape client will randomly close, and the system is a little unstable. I'm starting to believe it's the graphics card driver after doing some searching around. Others have apparently had some issues as well.

Gygabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t

8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz

Asus HD5770

OCZ 60Gb SSD - OS and programs

2 1Tb Caviar Black/Green for files set in Raid 1 through windows 7

Bluray burner, DVD drive

I also added an old nvidea 7600GT into the second PCI Express slow to support a third monitor as the asus 5770 does not support eyefinity. The crashes were occuring prior to the addition of the second graphics card.

Any Thoughts?

Start your own thread mate, kinda counts as thread hijacking.

OT: I would be wary of having 2 cards crossfired/sli'd as an initial build, you're kinda slowed by that 8x pci. Just go for a 6970 I guess, or hell, a 6990 XD

Oh, when I selected the new ZOTAC GPU I meant to say that I had replaced the other one, I have no plans on linking them (wouldn't it make sort of a bottleneck? Because the new GPU is vastly superior to the one I was planning on getting)

Also, what are SSD cards? I've done some reading on them and I'm still very confused, do they replace my hard drive? Do they replace my RAM? Do they just boost performance just that much more? Would this one do the job well? If so, would it even fit into my selected motherboard?

Rejected.jpg

@ SSD cards

I'm pretty sure they're just ssds built to use a PCI interface instead of a SATA one, maybe because of bottlenecking or something.

I'm not familiar with that certain family of SSD, but I hear OCZ's Vertex 3s are just about the best, although a quick search on the Egg shows they start at 90GB and $200.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

Ya, the entire point of having PCI Express SSD is to eliminate the SATA bottleneck.

The OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD supports read speeds up to 540MB/s

The OCZ Vertex 2 runs on SATA 2 maxing out at 300MB/s

You're looking at about $225 for the Vertex 2 120GB and $310 for the RevoDrive.

I wouldn't doubt that soon there will be more SSD supporting SATA 3.

Currently the Vertex 2 has a max read of 285MB/s so it is still under the 300MB/s bottleneck of the SATA 2.

I did a fair bit of looking into SSD recently as I just installed a 60GB Vertex 2 into my machine.

Ya, the entire point of having PCI Express SSD is to eliminate the SATA bottleneck.

The OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD supports read speeds up to 540MB/s

The OCZ Vertex 2 runs on SATA 2 maxing out at 300MB/s

You're looking at about $225 for the Vertex 2 120GB and $310 for the RevoDrive.

I wouldn't doubt that soon there will be more SSD supporting SATA 3.

Currently the Vertex 2 has a max read of 285MB/s so it is still under the 300MB/s bottleneck of the SATA 2.

I did a fair bit of looking into SSD recently as I just installed a 60GB Vertex 2 into my machine.

I'd like to clarify that SATA 2 maxes at 300GB/s and the Vertex 2 at 285MB/s.

I personally disagree that SSD are overrated. I truly do like mine, it holds my OS and programs. It could be that I'm a little biased because of some programs I run. Video Editing software tends to be a little larger and I notice the faster load times but for most people it's not that noticable. Unless you're concerned about super fast load times for bragging rights or it's actually useful I wouldn't spend the money. My 60Gb SSD was $130, while my 1Tb Caviar Back was $65 or $70.

I see what you mean, but on a gaming computer that $130 would be far better spent getting a higher tier card.

Alright people, after much shopping around I've landed on this...

compspecs-1.jpg

I know that some people have pointed out that they GPU is a bit over the top, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure that my power supply should be able to handle all that, right? (It would be beyond cool if someone could somehow make sure that I'm not making a mistake here).

8 gigs of ram seems like more than enough.

1 terabyte should do the job in the memory department.

The CPU looks pretty good.

So yeah, unless someone has strong convictions as to why I shouldn't get any of the items in this list, please explain why.

EDIT: for some reason the picture doesn't show my 8 gigs of ram...

Rejected.jpg

Alright people, after much shopping around I've landed on this...

compspecs-1.jpg

I know that some people have pointed out that they GPU is a bit over the top, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure that my power supply should be able to handle all that, right? (It would be beyond cool if someone could somehow make sure that I'm not making a mistake here).

8 gigs of ram seems like more than enough.

1 terabyte should do the job in the memory department.

The CPU looks pretty good.

So yeah, unless someone has strong convictions as to why I shouldn't get any of the items in this list, please explain why.

EDIT: for some reason the picture doesn't show my 8 gigs of ram...

Looks good to me. I like the Western Digital but that's all I've ever owned.

I'd suggest you look at the Samsung spinpoint, it's apparently the fastest drive in the standard HDD range.

Otherwise, looking good. You won't regret the 580 if you have the cash for it.

EDIT - You forgot the disk drive again. Just add the ASUS one I posted back a bit, and you're good to go. If you need help assembling it, we can help with that too.

Doing a little more research for you in the hard drive category I found the fastest HDD is the Westerrn Digital Velociraptor. The cheapest drive was $130 for a 150Gb and they max out at 600Gb for $300 so you're not going to get a lot of space with these ones. One site I looked on posted read speeds above 130Mb/s. They are one of the only 10,000 rpm drives out there and don't really have much of a market. If it were me doing the build I would step up and go with a 60Gb SSD for like $130 and a 1Tb drive for storage. I don't specify what kind of drive because for file storage it likely isn't a big deal if its super fast. They about $55-70 for the range from green to high quality.

If you aren't interested in jumping into solid state then a 7,200 rpm drive i would say is a must. Unless you want to get the Velociraptor. But reviews on the OCZ Vertex 2 that i bought had people that had upgraded from velociraptor and said it wasnt even a fair comparison. The OCZ destroyed the velociraptor in boot times for os and programs. These are all things that need to play into your budget and where you want your rig to go. If you set out with a normal Tb HDD now you could upgrade to SSD in a few months when the prices drop a bit more as well.

If you are interested at all with the ssd post back and I can give you a little more info on them. I can also check some more benchmarks and stuff for you.

With all that said, don't go ssd and cut money out of other parts, if budget does not allow for one then think about it for a future upgrade. After all upgrades are kind of the point in building your own desktop. :P

IMO you don't need a 10,000RPM or 15,000RPM drive, 7,200RPM will do you absolutely fine. Once again, I've heard bad things about Seagate, but that could just be rumours. I would just go with WD or Samsung though.

There is no RAM in that build. You need to add some. 4GB will be fine, but 8GB would be good.

That PSU might be a little OTT, newegg's calculator says you'll only need 686W, but I would stay with it in case of future upgrades/massive overclocking.

Perhaps the 580 may be a little OTT too.

You may also want to upgrade the case - for such a good build it will get quite hot and you'll want at least one 200MM fan. Cable management is a big plus, too.

I would wholeheartedly advise third party cooling, especially for Sandy Bridge. You'll definately want to overclock.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

IMO you don't need a 10,000RPM or 15,000RPM drive, 7,200RPM will do you absolutely fine. Once again, I've heard bad things about Seagate, but that could just be rumours. I would just go with WD or Samsung though.

There is no RAM in that build. You need to add some. 4GB will be fine, but 8GB would be good.

That PSU might be a little OTT, newegg's calculator says you'll only need 686W, but I would stay with it in case of future upgrades/massive overclocking.

Perhaps the 580 may be a little OTT too.

You may also want to upgrade the case - for such a good build it will get quite hot and you'll want at least one 200MM fan. Cable management is a big plus, too.

I would wholeheartedly advise third party cooling, especially for Sandy Bridge. You'll definately want to overclock.

Good catch, I scrolled past fast and mistook the keyboard for RAM :wall:

If you want to stay in the mid tower range for cases, look at the CoolerMaster HAF 922, or the HAF X if you want full tower. Don't buy based on what the fans look like in the picture, the light they give off is exaggerated.

Just looked at your setup, it looks fine. Just wanted to make sure you buy all the correct things I learned about my i7 build. You should Definitely buy a 3rd party cpu cooler, the stock is okay but you're no doubt overclocking (even if not the significantly lower temps are amazing). While on the topic of the heatsink and fan, make sure to buy some high quality thermal grease, an extra 10$ wont hurt for a nice tube or artic silver (you can use it on up to ~6 processors before finishing).

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

(Make sure this beast fits in your case, it really is as big as they say. It fits in my HAF 932 full tower snuggly)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Personally I'd go for a full tower for the maximum space and maneuverability, they are big but if you have the space very much worth it.

Edit: Not sure if you have this already but missing speakers/nice headset

randomkcopyq.png

AMD is a big no-no for a high end gaming computer, and 6 cores will just go to waste. Your best choice is an Intel core i7 2600k, which is a beast of a processor. I'd also go with a GTX 570 or 580 and 8gb of RAM. A SSD is a bit out of that price range, unless you want a 32gb one just for the OS. You could go also go for 2 sli'd GTX 560 ti cards, but there is only one motherboard that has true 16x/16x PCI-e slots and it's super expensive.

The AMD 1090T black edition does fine with ANY game on the market today. I have it, and it pwns any game I can throw at it (Combined with an nVidia GTX 470).

6 Cores don't go to waste. Did you even read about it? It can turbo 3 cores automatically up to 3.8 for gaming sessions and programs that can't use more than 2/3 cores.

Intel is still an excellent choice for a gaming computer, but on a budget, AMD is great too.

Big_Stingman.png

I don't know why so many people think AMD processors are that bad. Ok, their architecture is dated, but that doesn't mean the processor isn't good.

For $200 the i5 2500k is far better for gaming. I've posted before that AMD processors work fine, and the difference is only a few FPS, but dollar for dollar in a mid to high end gaming build, an Intel processor is a better choice.

Unless bulldozer is godly, AMD has a lot to worry about though, seeing as Intel is already releasing Ivy Bridge Q4, which is going to be the 2nd gen i7 900 replacement. Intel also has 22nm tech, appearing in Ivy Bridge later this year, while AMD is just getting to 32. Frankly, AMDs biggest advantage is that their higher stock clocks look better to an average person buying a computer.

For $200 the i5 2500k is far better for gaming. I've posted before that AMD processors work fine, and the difference is only a few FPS, but dollar for dollar in a mid to high end gaming build, an Intel processor is a better choice.

Unless bulldozer is godly, AMD has a lot to worry about though, seeing as Intel is already releasing Ivy Bridge Q4, which is going to be the 2nd gen i7 900 replacement. Intel also has 22nm tech, appearing in Ivy Bridge later this year, while AMD is just getting to 32. Frankly, AMDs biggest advantage is that their higher stock clocks look better to an average person buying a computer.

Even then, Even if the Intel processors are much more performant doesn't make the AMD processors bad. People who want to spend less will go with AMD and AMD will still be a good choice.

99% of people in the world don't care about performance. They care about PRICE-performance. Although I have to admit, that Intel CPU is awesome... icon_thumbsu.gif You are right about the higher clock speeds though. Higher speed does not mean better performance.

Big_Stingman.png

99% of people in the world don't care about performance. They care about PRICE-performance. Although I have to admit, that Intel CPU is awesome... icon_thumbsu.gif You are right about the higher clock speeds though. Higher speed does not mean better performance.

Price performance is right. The posted AMD processor is $200, the i5 2500 is $200, and you will get a much better result in gaming from the i5.