Tip.It Times - 3rd April 2011

Racheya

I feel like you all are being a bit harsh on stormy...

Yes, I don't feel that the overload is as "overpowered" as he makes it out to be, considering it's unavailable in PVP. Also, I don't see how it could be considered overpowered in clan wars. If you are willing to spend the money to make one for an event yielding no wealth in return, I believe you deserve the stat boost from it.

That being said, he makes a very good point about including other skills in combat. Those of you who are looking for a point, there it is. The fact that Jagex created the overload shows that they want the respective skill to be included in combat. In my opinion, a similar update could be done for many other skills that could prove to be just as useful (although the idea of the balistia seems a bit comical).

Another note: I actually enjoyed it being written in a humorous sort of laid back style, a nice change from the "depressing, doomsday articles week" we had a few weeks back.

For the second article: No. Just, no. Bad idea. Really, really, bad idea. 90% of runescape's population hasn't achieved 99 in more than 3 or 4 skills.

Welcome to the forums, and TY for clarifying a few things for everyone :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Re: To 99 - and beyond

Good article, but I disagree with the conclusion entirely!

Have anyone calculated how much playing time to been invested if you want 99 in all skills?

My bet after having played for 5 years quite regularly is that those accounts with all 99s and then some are played by groups of players combining their efforts with the addict now and then completing the list.

An average player with a couple of hours play a day would struggle to get any 99s at all, not to mention a full house.

My advice to Jagex would be to leave the top out point at 99 and rather continue to put effort in activities, quests and other new content.

For the great mass of players - and that means for the great mass of income - getting 99s is a hard enough goal to stretch for - I haven't got one yet. Moving that goal further up would be very discouraging for most players.

Re: To 99 - and beyond

Good article, but I disagree with the conclusion entirely!

Have anyone calculated how much playing time to been invested if you want 99 in all skills?

My bet after having played for 5 years quite regularly is that those accounts with all 99s and then some are played by groups of players combining their efforts with the addict now and then completing the list.

An average player with a couple of hours play a day would struggle to get any 99s at all, not to mention a full house.

My advice to Jagex would be to leave the top out point at 99 and rather continue to put effort in activities, quests and other new content.

For the great mass of players - and that means for the great mass of income - getting 99s is a hard enough goal to stretch for - I haven't got one yet. Moving that goal further up would be very discouraging for most players.

This. I have 3 major thoughts about 120: fix the skill before moving it upward. Make actual levels much more rewarding and worthwhile to get, which in itself would take years. Then we need the exp levesl to grow with the skill level; the few skilsl this happens in are obscenely expensive. 99 herb, aka 13m exp, easily costs 200m+. 120 would cost billlions.

Lastly, do something in the game so that people specialize 120 skills. NOT by just making it really hard to get lots of 120 skills or whatever, but by actually putting a limit on it somehow.

Or, a 4th thougth, don't do it. Refer to the above post for some reasons.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

in reply to 99 and beyond:

Id much rater see them worry about getting content for up to 99 first. alot of skills stop in the mid 80's and have nothing above them. and as for high lvl gear saturation, im in favor of instanced, soloable bosses that drop untradable high lvl gear. (would really love a boss in this manner that requires a high slayer lvl.) similar things could be done for other skills, such as fish that can only be caught and cooked by you, rocks that you need the lvls to mine and smith into high lvl armor, ect.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Guest jrhairychest

I think jagex should improve the current skills rather than make more levels to grind.

:thumbup:

Nice in theory, but in practice players don't use it that way. The bulk would rather get 99 as fast as possible rather than do what they find enjoyable, then complain they had to grind.

I think jagex should improve the current skills rather than make more levels to grind.

:thumbup:

Nice in theory, but in practice players don't use it that way. The bulk would rather get 99 as fast as possible rather than do what they find enjoyable, then complain they had to grind.

Way to miss the point.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Guest jrhairychest

Way to miss the point.

What point was missed? Unless you give xp fast and now then the ipod generation doesn't like it. There's plenty of players who don't mind the 'grind' and actually treat it as part of the game. It's called patience and the feeling that something you've worked towards has been worthwhile. Try it sometime.

Way to miss the point.

What point was missed? Unless you give xp fast and now then the ipod generation doesn't like it. There's plenty of players who don't mind the 'grind' and actually treat it as part of the game. It's called patience and the feeling that something you've worked towards has been worthwhile. Try it sometime.

Still missed the point. <_<

The point is that we'd prefer CONTENT over more levels -- i.e. - making skills "useful", etc. :thumbup:

nyuseg.png

In regards to the article with the jibberish title, you can now add farming to the list of useful combat skills.

That disruption shield spell looks outstanding and you aren't getting it without doing a huge chunk of new, in-game farm training. :thumbup:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Way to miss the point.

The point is that we'd prefer CONTENT over more levels -- i.e. - making skills "useful", etc. :thumbup:

Exactly. As beaten to death as it is, the reason the majority of people grind is to reach what they think is the real meat of the game, meaning the point when the skill becomes useful or gives them access to content. Granted, there should be a balance between grinding and unlocking new content because there is such a thing as too much to do. Heh.

Take firemaking. If they made firemaking more flexible - hell, I wish they allowed me to interact more with the environment using this skill instead of having it be primarily for lighting cooking fires. If I use a tinderbox on an Ardougne guardsman I damn well ought to get more than the nothing interesting message happens, I want to see that man trailing smoke and running around like a...well, a man on fire. I get some experience for firemaking and a chance for combat experience when guard reinforcements descend on me.

If I wanted to stab a dwarf with a chisel, I ought to be able to and get my ass kicked for it. As it were I have to settle with a pickaxe, which is fine enough, I suppose. Simple things like having everyday tools interact with the everyday environment, giving experience in certain skills - even as a simple text message - would help tremendously with lifting the grind. Far as I'm concerned Runescape has sandbox gameplay elements Jagex has barely scratched the surface of.

EDIT: Come to think on it, logs should burst into flame when I use fire combat spells on them, with higher level spells giving a risk of turning low level logs into blasted cinders instead of a roaring bonfire. But what do I get? "Nothing interesting happens."

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Guest jrhairychest

I think you've got this backwards. Jagex has been releasing new content and variation on things for a while now. The point of it is lost. Players are so xp obsessed and are more concerned with rattling up the numbers so unless this 'usefulness' grants them more xp per hour it's often disregarded, no matter how 'useful' it is. There's plenty of content around if you bother to actually use it instead of looking at what amount of xp you're getting.

@Bioice - Nice ideas that have the longevity of about 2 seconds.

Two seconds because it doesn't look like grinding, mayhap? Or maybe because it's not your cup of tea? But that is beside the point. My point being that I should be able to, but currently I cannot. There's just little variety in normal firemaking aside from mainly burning different types of logs. That pattern goes for a number of other skills, mainly the gathering ones that are botted most.

If new content cannot equal or beat normal grinding then there isn't any point doing it, a practical attitude that's been there for a long time. Little anyone can do about it. However, if Jagex's little activities and diversions gave experience equal to normal grind methods perhaps there'll be a change. Then it'll come down to how clunky and "fun" their minigames are. You'd soon see a shift in the community at large from "how fast can I get to 99" to "what's fun to get to 99?"

They're not likely to up the experience rate though, what with all the nerfs they put into experience gain for certain skills in dungeoneering. Which is a pity.

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Guest jrhairychest

No matter how you dress something up, if its done continuously its viewed as grinding. Its not the game thats the problem, but the attitude of players themselves. You rightly say that we have plenty of activities that can distract and there are variations on most stuff if players bother to take a look.

Rightly or wrongly players view their game as stats. The majority want their 99s in the quickest time with the least effort. Ok...fine. I take issue with the attitude that comes with it, normally due to one or more of the following:

• Beating a skill senseless by training it continuously until they get 99, spending all their game time training it until it becomes boring.
  • Using one method of training, usually cos it getz me 99 da fastest!, ignoring alternative because they view it as too slow or theyre too blinkered to bother to try it.
  • Playing a ridiculous amount of game time instead of concentrating on family/school work/neglecting their kids/treating RS as a vocation rather than a game etc.

Its the players that are the problem, not the game.

I have not trained Herblore during any Bonus Exp weekends yet. It is my lowest Skill & it Costs a LOT of Gp (which I don't have)

Don't think I'd make Overloads

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

Herb Derp by TS Stormrage - I can't say I found the article thought provoking, but I get your point. Traditionally, Herblore wasn't considered as essential as it is now, and that's down to the introduction of the higher level potions. Such is life, eh?

To 99...and beyond by Necromagus - I've thought for a long time that the number of very high level players within RS create a difficult environment for new starters, and I feel that expanding other skills to 120 would just exacerbate the issue. Equally, there has to be something for those very high level players to keep them paying, I mean, interested. I'm not sure that expanding skill content and chucking out new quests is the solution, but perhaps opening up a whole new realm of Runescape, with quests, activities, skills that can only be accessed once all quests at least have been completed. A sort of Runescape - The Next Generation. It can have it's own economy, weapons, monsters, etc, but be populated by players who have got level 90+ in Runescape. In that TNG realm, stats could be reset back to zero, you could meet Juna when she was a wee snakeling, meet the Wise Old Man when he was a Handsom Young Dude, or have one of Getrude's Cat's Kitten's kitten's follow you around. A sort of expansion pack is what I'm getting at. You could still pop into the RS we all know and love to pick up the holiday items or participate in a clan activity, but generally speaking, very high level players would have their own game - for a while at least. It's important for Jagex to keep their player base, but just as important to make entering the game for new players accessible. After all, at some point we are all going to grow up, and possibly away from Runescape, so there does need to be an influx of new players into the game. Even if it meant that there was no new content in RS, as long as there was something else to move onto, that was getting the new content, I'd be happy. When the Making/Meeting History quests came out, I did wonder if Jagex might have a historical Runescape expansion pack up their sleeves. I quite fancy that, I'm sure that other players would too. I know, I know, there would be uproar regarding 'The End of Runescape as we know it', but haven't we had that uproar when RS2 came out? And Wildy was taken away? And reintroduced? I'm sure that the guys at Jagex are not applying themselves to the fullest of their abilities, probably because they are bored. As noted in previous articles, some of the updates for the last 18 months or so have been somewhat mediocre. I'd wager that some players are bored too, but keep playing out of loyalty, to their character, their clan, and yes, to Jagex. Until there is something truely new for players and Jagex staff to focus on, there's going to be less and less enthusiasm on both sides of the Runescape equation.

Cultjunky.png

Rightly or wrongly players view their game as stats. The majority want their 99s in the quickest time with the least effort. Ok...fine. I take issue with the attitude that comes with it, normally due to one or more of the following:

• Beating a skill senseless by training it continuously until they get 99, spending all their game time training it until it becomes boring.
  • Using one method of training, usually cos it getz me 99 da fastest!, ignoring alternative because they view it as too slow or theyre too blinkered to bother to try it.
  • Playing a ridiculous amount of game time instead of concentrating on family/school work/neglecting their kids/treating RS as a vocation rather than a game etc.

Its the players that are the problem, not the game.

So the means justify the ends for that lot, then?

To be honest, I've gone down that route before, and I didn't really consider it as playing. I had an entire backlog of books, stories, and work to get me through to my 99s. The only times I "played" and paid attention were during clan events, quests, managing trade and the minigames. Playing this way once was enough, and when the trade limit era began there was an end to that play style for me.

There's little hope in expecting for any change in attitude if all skills are raised to 120, because that is what the crowd who have plenty of 99s under their belt would want. Players want to get further and further away from what's seen as become increasingly common: too many people have 99s. Somehow they believe their ranks and reputation become tarnished because of that.

1emk2e.png

Tbh Runescape is grinding enough already - raising skills up to 120 is useless if you don't even have the content to 99 yet. Currently it will just encourage mind-numbing training of skills which is, for the majority of people, the wrong way to go. Those who really care about their achievements and are willing to grind for hours straight can already do that with Xp or highscore goals. No need to add new levels just for that. I think the whole focus should shift, away from the shiny 99 capes who may be fun to get, but don't really offer anything worthwhile.

Tbh, a lot of that attitude kinda sickens me. Take the livid farm update. When it was released, players complained that if they already had 99, they still had to play the minigame to unlock the rewards. Like they were FORCING them to train a skill after 99! OMG! That is totally wrong, isn't it? /sarcasm off.

Of course runescape has always included grinding, and unless you completely rewrap the game (which wouldn't be a smart move considering that millions have come to like it as it is) you cannot scrap it completely. I'd just wish they could provide alternative skilling options, which don't need to be the new fastest method ever, but simply an alternative way with similar xp rates. Is that too much for ask for.

And of course, a lot of skills are still missing a point. Let's see

Combat skills obviously provide an advantage and have a point

herblore as well.

slayer, dungeoneering: check

agility: kinda

but then come the older skills...

Firemaking:useless. Smtihing:useless. Mining:useless. Thieving: useless. Farming: Useless. Woodcutting: Useless. Fishing: Useless....I could go on. Most of these were needed in Runescape, and obviously they are still kind of needed today. But not by an individual person. All these skills are merely for producing a few nice things(or they don't do anything worthwhile at all) and you're better off if you just make some money and buy it all. Most skills have lost their usefulness for single players, and I think that needs to change. It's a long way to go of course, but honestly I can't see Jagex even starting with it....just look at the supposed smithing "revamp"....

After reading the first article I didn't really know what to say. For lack of a better phrase, I have no [bleep]ing clue what the OP was going on about. The article appeared to be about the advantage of training herblore on bonus experience weekend's as it is a very costly skill, and training it in this way would save a lot of money. With that in mind I read through the remainder of the article only to find that it was more a sophisticated complaint rather than an actual discussion topic. I believe that almost anyone with a sliver of common knowledge would understand that while overloads are very powerful, yes I agree with that, Jagex could not simply 'lower' their usefulness in such places as Castle, Clan and Soulwars.

While the majority of people getting overloads will fall into either the category of boss hunter, or skiller there are also a lot of people that just play this game to enjoy things such as mini games and to them overloads are just as useful. While you are able to access overloads from level 90 herblore and onwards, through the maximum +6 stew, that is still a very expensive level to get to. I do understand that the vast majority of people would not be simply getting overloads to have that extra advantage in a game of Castle wars I believe that it wouldn't necessarily be the best thing to do to lower the power of overloads in these areas.

Oh and the one message I did get through the whole article is that the OP is envious of people with overloads, or simply does not like them because they are not able to access them just yet. To that I say, spend the cash, get the overloads, use them and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Just my 2c

4sDIn.png

No no, you're only partly right...

My beef with the overload is that it gives a SIGNIFICANT advantage without it adding to your combat level or otherwise showing it ingame... Add-on to that beef is that this power cannot be transferred, much like your chaotic weapons cannot be, but those can be seen...

So for a skill that is completely invisible to have such a huge impact on combat, I would suggest in other PVP areas to lower the strength of the overload (much like it is int he wild)... Knowing that jagex wouldnt do this without inciting massive riots, I merely suggested other skills be of a similar invisible usefulness in combat, to make the impact herblore has seem less significant...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Guest jrhairychest

So the means justify the ends for that lot, then?

To be honest, I've gone down that route before, and I didn't really consider it as playing. I had an entire backlog of books, stories, and work to get me through to my 99s. The only times I "played" and paid attention were during clan events, quests, managing trade and the minigames. Playing this way once was enough, and when the trade limit era began there was an end to that play style for me.

There's little hope in expecting for any change in attitude if all skills are raised to 120, because that is what the crowd who have plenty of 99s under their belt would want. Players want to get further and further away from what's seen as become increasingly common: too many people have 99s. Somehow they believe their ranks and reputation become tarnished because of that.

Sorry, I don't understand where you're going here. You're stating that your 99's weren't 'played'? Why did you bother playing in the first place if you didn't enjoy what you were doing? Why not just play something else?

As far as a change in attitude of other players I won't hold my breath, its up to them if they want to whinge and moan about skills they batter along the way and then complain they've nothing to play for. I'm not really understanding this 'reputation' thing either. That would mean playing a game a little more challenging that RS and having scores that differentiate players by real 'skills', not by being time-served.

Sorry, I don't understand where you're going here. You're stating that your 99's weren't 'played'? Why did you bother playing in the first place if you didn't enjoy what you were doing? Why not just play something else?

As far as a change in attitude of other players I won't hold my breath, its up to them if they want to whinge and moan about skills they batter along the way and then complain they've nothing to play for. I'm not really understanding this 'reputation' thing either. That would mean playing a game a little more challenging that RS and having scores that differentiate players by real 'skills', not by being time-served.

Getting 99s while afk/occasionally chatting with clanmates. (Before you start on that, the game window was always open so I could always glance at what my character was doing.) I don't consider that as playing the game. It's just lifeless grinding, not playing. I did that before to get what I wanted so I can really start playing, i.e. 99 combat skills for castle wars, 99 cooking in the belief I won't burn anything with that level, etc. It got really stale once I started on a second account though.

Yea, some people think a skill gets devalued because there are too many people with 99 on it, take thieving as an example, or woodcutting. IMO what matters is what you plan to do with it. Just best not complain when it's common and the 99 was for bragging rights.

I wonder what would happen if you could get a master cape the likes of dungeoneering if you got 104m exp in say, runecrafting, but the level stayed 99.

1emk2e.png