Grace, War, and Shenanigans

Jehosaphat

The year is 3082. World War Three ended five years ago, simply because there weren't enough people around to call it a war any more. The world has suffered massive losses in areas of both production and population, in addition to the massive amounts of materials lost to the bombings. Metal was at a premium. Thankfully, metal veins were discovered in what remained of Alaska and northern Russia, and production of metals started again. And with the production of metals came the production of new technologies - cybernetics, to be precise. Over the last 3 years, the remaining humans on each continent have gathered together, formed settlements, and worked toward protecting themselves with the technology that they all oddly seemed to discover at the same time. Of course, since there's no defense like a really good offense, almost all production has been going into weaponry-related human augmentations. The most recent augmentation released, dubbed by its creators the "5X," is the most diverse yet seen. And they have picked you to join the group of testers, just like everybody else you know. Oddly enough, nobody really knows how the thing works...

Rules:

This game will be run in IRC, or on the forums. I'll let you bunch vote on that.

Your 5X augmentation machine has 5 slots, and is located wherever you prefer on your person (Keep the locations appropriate, please). The slots are:

Slot 1: Affinity (element) slot. Most customizable, since there's an element for basically everything.

Slot 2: Effect slot. This causes stuff to happen when whatever it is hits its target. Slot 1 chips can also fit in this slot, and cause an effect related to their element.

Slot 3: Specialties. Probably going to be mostly used for summoning minions, but can also be used for other stuff that other chips aren't used for. This generally causes stuff to happen before a target is hit at all.

Slot 4: Basic statement of offensive, defensive, or passive.

Slot 5: Basic statement of what's gonna form when you finally use the chip. Usually quite general, but is specific in the case of energy weapon use.

A few examples of chips that would fit in each slot:

Slot 1: Fire, water, earth, ice, snot, vomit, shock, metal, space, time, teleportation...

Slot 2: Stun, poison, power leech, health leech...

Slot 3: Warp, wild, glowing, forge, precise, armor-piercing, Summon, enchant, psyche...

Slot 4: There are only 3 known that fit in here - Offensive, Defensive, and Passive.

Slot 5: Shotgun, Knife, Sword, Orb, Wave, Plate...

As you could gather, these slots are chip insertion points - where you can fully customize your weaponry. Sadly, there's only so many chips to go around...

Normal metallic weapons - guns, knives, swords, et cetera - are an extreme rarity since the war. After all the raids on people's houses looking for metals to create more airplanes, they all end up getting bombed in-hangar or being shot down in the ocean anyways. However, your 5X can accommodate for this lack of metal - it can generate energy weapons that are just as good as the reliable steel ones, although they disappear if you fall asleep or get knocked out. And there's the added benefit of energy ammunition, which never runs out so long as you never run out of energy. Also, energy weapon creation is generally less taxing than "magical" uses of the 5X, but it can only create 1 energy weapon and 1 energy shield at a time without a specialty chip due to the creators forgetting to add a multiplicity matrix. What morons.

The alignment system is strange and is only being recently discovered. Supposedly, if a person uses a certain chip for long enough, they become "aligned" to it and any combinations they use with that chip become more effective. However, most other attacks when used by aligned characters are less effective. Alignment can apply to any chip in any slot - this means that if your character is Fire-aligned through slot 1, you can use a Fire chip in slot 2 and still get the bonus. Alignment also changes your character's appearance slightly every time they become more aligned to an element. And rumors tell of those so aligned to one of their chips that using anything else is highly ineffective. Having an affinity for an element can also reduce that element's drain on your stamina, at the cost of other elements draining more of your stamina. And the developers didn't know ANYTHING about this when they handed these things out to the public! What morons!

PCs start in a basic starter dungeon with a set of GM-approved-for-non-OPness chips of their choice. After the start point, any new PCs that come along will be integrated into the party of PCs via a convenient plot device. The PCs will stay in a party unless the plotline dictates a separate reason for them not to (i.e. half the party is chaotic evil murderers, and the other half is a bunch of paladins.) As a general rule, keep up with the party or end up being robbed and killed in your sleep/eaten by mutant radiation bears/commandeered by Cthulhu/you get the idea.

Death in this game is permanent, although ghosts do exist. However, your death must have been reasonably different in order to constitute you getting a ghost. Otherwise, you just quit or make yourself a new PC.

Dice will still be used for actions, although the placement of things will be considered before any rolling is done. Or, to say it differently, if you run into an eldritch horror while still a newbie, and you try to kill it, it doesn't matter how high you roll, YOU GONNA DIE. Same goes for any possible accidental "You fall into a sewer unconscious THIRTY TIMES IN A STUPID ROW" stuff - the flow will usually make sense in about as much sense can be made in a universe where people can make their arms shoot glowing, poisonous otters. Movement is generally considered a non-rolling action, except for long-distance non-teleportation travel - during which you'll probably run into a random event of some sort.

"Enchanted" objects do exist, but the Enchanter specialty chip is incredibly, INCREDIBLY rare, so not many people really know what an enchanted object does, if anything at all.

Oh, and the starter PCs get to vote on the starter location. There's no table for creating a character, just list what you want your 5 chips to be and a character name at minimum. Backstory is appreciated, but not necessary by any means.

One last note: Please, for love of all that is decent, keep a separate record of your affinity and inventory in case I screw up.

Rest of post reserved for character stuff!

a70c7.png

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Earth

Slot 1: Poison.

Slot 2: Armor piercing.

Slot 3: Mini sentry gun. (Targeting system laughable, and short range. Only good for people sneaking up on you.)

Slot 4: Good eyesight. (Shoot more accurately at farther distances.)

Slot 5: Sniper Rifle (I'm confused, is this the final effect, or the weapon?)

Is this okay?

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

What kind of system? Dungeoneering leveling, DnD leveling, your own leveling, lack of leveling?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Would it be possible for you to include descriptions of the various chips in the main post?

Given what people are asking for, this would probably be a good idea XD

And Retech, the only leveling system will be Affinity, and the maximum for those is 5.

a70c7.png

Would it be possible for you to include descriptions of the various chips in the main post?

And Retech, the only leveling system will be Affinity, and the maximum for those is 5.

How does one gain affinity? Is it just posted by you when we perform an action?

Also, is this a team game?

----

Also, do you have to have a chip in every slot at all times? If one is lacking, may we have a generic hold its place? We get five chips to start, right?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

How does one gain affinity? Is it just posted by you when we perform an action?

Also, is this a team game?

----

Also, do you have to have a chip in every slot at all times? If one is lacking, may we have a generic hold its place? We get five chips to start, right?

Affinity is gained after using a chip a bunch of times. It's not very common, though, so don't be expecting to gain affinity very fast. I'll tell you if you gain affinity toward a chip.

This will be a team game, just so I don't have to keep track of where everybody is.

You don't have to have a chip in each slot at all times. However, in order to actually do anything with the 5X, you have to have chips in slot 1, 4, and 5. Slots 2 and 3 are just little bonus things.

What do you mean by "have a generic hold its place"?

And yes, you get 5 chips to start - 1 for each slot.

a70c7.png

Jen

Slot 1: Ice

Slot 2: Ice (Not sure if this works, but I want it to be able to add a freezing effect, which is more effective against non-ice and heals ice types, specifically those with affinity to ice and my familliar)

Slot 3: Summoning Ice Familliar (Summon something more powerful than normal, but of only one form/element)

Slot 4: Passive

Slot 5: Cone-shaped burst (relatively short ranged, but wide)

Can the thingy also just output pure ice energy, on touch? I'm trying to make this very specialized.

Jen

Slot 2: Ice (Not sure if this works, but I want it to be able to add a freezing effect, which is more effective against non-ice and heals ice types, specifically those with affinity to ice and my familliar)

Slot 3: Summoning Ice Familliar (Summon something more powerful than normal, but of only one form/element)

Slot 4: Passive

Slot 5: Cone-shaped burst (relatively short ranged, but wide)

Can the thingy also just output pure ice energy, on touch? I'm trying to make this very specialized.

So, just so you're clear, activating that chipset will create a cone-shaped, non-aggressive ice familiar that freezes stuff on contact.

So.... you've designed a chipset that creates a butler icicle capable of keeping your drinks cold as he brings them to you. Not sure if that was what you were going for...

If you were to switch the Passive to Offensive, the familiar would be more designed for fighting, and a switch from Passive to Defensive would cause it to defend you.

a70c7.png

Wait what? I thought the shape was the spell to heal the familliar, since I don't have to keep the chip in to keep the familliar out? So I wanted to summon a familliar, then remove that chip and start healing and buffing it with cone-shaped bursts. I thought buffing and healing was passive.

So is there any way to make that work? Or do the chips affect how the familliar looks like? Or does the chip need to be on for the familliar to be outside?

And regardless of the chips inside the thingy, can it just channel pure elemental energy?

Aetas Zephyr (Hurrah generic latin/greek words)

Slot 1: Time

Slot 2: Air (Does this work? I figured since I can't really make a sword out of time for slot 5 I could use this instead. Plus, slot 2 is redundant with an element which cannot be used to hit people with anyway)

Slot 3: Warp

Slot 4: Offensive

Slot 5: Gunsword. Think a revolver with an oversized bayonette, basically.

Will probably make a backstory later.

2Xeo5.png

Wait what? I thought the shape was the spell to heal the familliar, since I don't have to keep the chip in to keep the familliar out? So I wanted to summon a familliar, then remove that chip and start healing and buffing it with cone-shaped bursts. I thought buffing and healing was passive.

So is there any way to make that work? Or do the chips affect how the familliar looks like? Or does the chip need to be on for the familliar to be outside?

And regardless of the chips inside the thingy, can it just channel pure elemental energy?

No, the chipset when run dictates everything, and creates an "energy burst" dependent on the chips used. In this case, you'd have a passive, cone-shaped ice energy burst with sentience and the capability to move around.

If you wanted to summon a familiar, then "heal" it with cone-shaped ice bursts, I suggest you switch to Offensive unless you want to try dropping passive ice-elemental cones on its head. Buffing and healing a party member usually counts as passive or defensive, situation depending, while buffing and healing a familiar can be done with Offensive, Defensive, or Passive, so long as the energy released comes in contact with the familiar and is of the same element.

However, I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to buff a passive familiar anyways...

You can remove a chip and still keep a familiar/weapon out. However, all chips equipped while creating said familiar/weapon play a part in the familiar/weapon.

And as for channeling pure elemental energy.... well, a few folks tried that with Ice. We'll see what they think once the glacier finishes thawing. Don't ask about the poor saps that tried to channel pure Snot.

a70c7.png

Can I make a familliar that is a different shape than the final shape of the weapon? Like I know you said it plays a part, but say I chose a cone (like dragon breath, not like ice cream cone), could I have a familliar that was like a fat, humanoid snowman, since it bears relation to the cone-ness?

And is it possible to channel cold instead of elemental energy? So like it would be a touch attack that causes freezing in a splotch near the area touched?

Can I make a familliar that is a different shape than the final shape of the weapon? Like I know you said it plays a part, but say I chose a cone (like dragon breath, not like ice cream cone), could I have a familliar that was like a fat, humanoid snowman, since it bears relation to the cone-ness?

That's kind of pushing it.... I'll think about it. Because if you get a familiar that's not exactly the shape that you put in Slot 5, everybody's gonna want to do that. Meaning I'll end up with:

"I summon a spherical fire familiar!"

"You summon an offensive spherical fire familiar."

"Can I have it have spikes? Or be inverted? Or shaped like a Mobius loop?"

Repeat in duplicate for as many people are playing.

So.... not really. If you want it to be a not-cone, then you have to put something besides a cone in Slot 5 when you summon the familiar.

You can, however, dictate the size of anything created as you wish. Be wary, though, since bigger stuff will drain more energy.

And you could create a very small energy burst with Ice as the second slot if you wanted a "touch" freezing attack. You'd have to have Offensive in your 4th slot, though.

a70c7.png

Errr, would this work to what I want?

Jen

Slot 2: Energy Channeling

Slot 3: Summoning Familliar

Slot 5: Beam

So basically the premise is that I can summon an ice familliar that looks like a floating column (it gets to float, right?). I could use energy channeling to give it some floating ice armor. Then it could proceed to shoot beams out from it at enemies or float next to an enemy and freeze touch attack?

Then I could remove the summoning familliar chip and still be left with firing beams of freezing ice at stuff? Then using energy channeling, I could move cold through objects (say a metal pole) and touch attack stuff with it?

Three questions:

Does maintaining a familliar drain energy? Same or less than summoning it originally?

Can a familliar stay out all the time or must it be resummoned?

We start with one metal weapon?

Name: Raul

Slot 1: Fire

Slot 2: Air

Slot 3: Precise

Good. So we're clear, that's going to fire a precision fire beam that causes a bit of extra knockback.

Where do these energy weapons emenate from? Do they replace you're arm or a part of you're body or are they like normal weapons that just so happen to be made of energy.

They emanate from the 5X unit, which is an augmentation system located on your body wherever you please (but the doctor's won't operate on inappropriate places, so keep it PG, folks) Targeting and placement is done neurally, so even if your 5X unit is on the back of your neck, you can still shoot things in front of you. The 5X unit is about the volume of your fist, give or take.

Errr, would this work to what I want?

Jen

Slot 2: Energy Channeling

Slot 3: Summoning Familliar

So basically the premise is that I can summon an ice familliar that looks like a floating column (it gets to float, right?). I could use energy channeling to give it some floating ice armor. Then it could proceed to shoot beams out from it at enemies or float next to an enemy and freeze touch attack?

Then I could remove the summoning familliar chip and still be left with firing beams of freezing ice at stuff? Then using energy channeling, I could move cold through objects (say a metal pole) and touch attack stuff with it?

Three questions:

Does maintaining a familliar drain energy? Same or less than summoning it originally?

Can a familliar stay out all the time or must it be resummoned?

We start with one metal weapon?

Slot 2 can't handle Energy Channeling. If anything, Energy Channeling would probably be Slot 3, just for balancing reasons.

But that aside, that setup would summon a ice beam familiar. You could then remove the Slot 3 Familiar Summon chip to shoot ice beams, but you couldn't give your familiar armor unless you had a Defensive-Energy Channeling setup. The same goes for channeling ice energy through metals - you'd need an Energy Channeling setup.

Questions:

Maintaining a familiar drains energy, but not enough to notice. It is enough, however, that when you fall asleep/get knocked out, the familiar is dismissed.

A familiar can stay out as long as you can stay conscious. It is assumed that characters sleep between sessions unless a session ends in the middle of a fight. (This will only happen due to IRL, though, so don't expect to keep a familiar between sessions too often.)

You start with the 5X, and 5 chips of your choice that I approve. Normal metal weapons are extremely rare.

a70c7.png

Quick question, would it be possible to double up on an element (Say fire) to create an more concentrated beam of fire (possibly with some cutting power?).

LNYvk.png

Aetas Zephyr (Hurrah generic latin/greek words)

Slot 1: Time

Slot 2: Air (Does this work? I figured since I can't really make a sword out of time for slot 5 I could use this instead. Plus, slot 2 is redundant with an element which cannot be used to hit people with anyway)

Slot 3: Warp

Slot 5: Gunsword. Think a revolver with an oversized bayonette, basically.

Will probably make a backstory later.

So you want a time-gunsword with knockback and transformative properties. I'm going to allow it, but creating the thing will very nearly knock you out even with extensive preparation. Creating it on the fly will cause you to pass out (and dismiss it), and if you attempt creating it while moderately wounded, you will most likely go into a coma or die. Shooting it will cause quite a bit of fatigue, and the bullets will typically cause chosen time-related effects and slight knockback to whatever it hits. Also, the warp quality of the thing will allow you to curve the bullets slightly - once per shot.

And Grim, using fire in Slot 2 would cause things to combust on impact, regardless of the element in Slot 1. And the amount of energy released can be adjusted to whatever you see fit, within reason. But remember the fatigue. So yes, you could create a fire beam capable of cutting through 3 feet of steel, but doing so would probably knock you out, and thoroughly defeat the purpose.

a70c7.png

Can I get two of the same slot?

Does channeling cold cause freezing? Is it more effective, more draining, etc?

Compared to having two ice.