Drinking/Drugs

Guest Rob

What are your thoughts towards drinking (Alcohol) or other drugs? Do certain laws need to be changed? Are you accepting of it all?

Discuss.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need drugs. Sure maybe I'll try some alcohol in the future. But when Weed is legalized, maybe that too.

But at the moment, no. I have too much at stake to be doing any of that stuff.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piƱata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I think that drinking and doing drugs is just a choice one makes. There can be absolutely no reasons behind doing it other than to do it. Or there can be a plethora of reasons behind it. I can honestly say that I drink on a somewhat regular basis. I do it usually every other night after work at Chili's, go to a co-worker's house, chill, have a couple drinks and go home. It's not like I'm an alcoholic or anything. I just do it to do it, like I said. As for drugs. [bleep] no. No way will I ever do drugs. They are horrible for you and screw you up beyond belief. That's all I can really say about that. Overall I'm accepting of drinking, but drugs are just disgusting.

Ā 

@Fourside: Why don't you paste it? Also, are you ever going to fix your signature? Lol.

I drink when me and my friends go out, at parties, bars, clubs, etc. Some of my friends just like the taste of beer. I drink to get a buzz going, maybe get wasted once in a while. All in fun though.

Ā 

Only drug I have done is pot, obviously to get high. You just have more fun doing stuff when you're drunk or high. Alcohol, cigarettes, over the counter drugs are more harmful than marijuana.

Honestly I don't really care about the laws against them. People will find loop holes around them and abuse them.

What?

Ā 

m_theory11.png

I've done quite a few substances, and I respect anyone who chooses not to. There are a handful of illegal drugs that are much less harmful than legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco, as most people know, and the reasons many of them are illegal are questionable. I have had a friend destroyed by heroin addiction, and they may not ever recover from it, I don't know. But, I also know a few people who have done "hard" drugs, and do them on occasion without letting them consume them, and I feel like that is their choice, and they know the risks they are putting themselves in, but I don't think anyone should have the right to tell them otherwise. I myself choose to stay away from the three common hard drugs, coke, heroin, and meth, and of course random less common drugs like PCP, but that is my choice, and does not have much to do with the legality of the drugs.

I personally won't touch cigarettes. Tobacco is the most deadly drug of all, (I don't mean when compared directly to say, Heroin, in terms of how easy it is to overdose) killing over 4 million a year, if I remember right. I see no reason for tobacco to be legal, when drugs like cannabis, mushrooms, ecstasy, and so on are illegal.

In my opinion, the War on Drugs is probably one of the most ineffective, pointless, and terrible policy the US government has, it has caused literally nothing good. I think that a much more effective way to deal with drug problems is proper education into the risks and drawbacks of drug use, but factual information, rather than scare tactics and threat of massive sentences.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Being drunk has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Not only you act like an idiot, don't remember nothing afterwards, and are more likely to do things you'll regret, but the hangover the day after? Reminds me of the typical stupid guy who hits himself with a wall forgetting how it hurt last time. Seeking to get drunk is just stupid.

Ā 

Drugs? Similar to drinking. I'm not buying the whole "weed makes u see 54 diffrnt ways brah" [cabbage]. I like the way I think right now. Medical marijuana is where it's at though...been thinking of getting some for my terrible headaches, but don't know how to get it.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've never been one to fall victim to peer pressure, so there are a lot of things i have never tried (most things to be honest). I've smoked Pot and i do drink. When i was a teenager (16 or so) i used to drink for the purpose of getting drunk. As i grew older i started realising that i actually like certain drinks for the taste rather than the affect. When i turned 18 i stopped drinking for a year which was probably the most mature thing i could have done at that stage cause i still kind of abused alcohol like a child would. Now when i drink beer i am able to control myself.I drink for the taste. I can't remember the last time i was really heavily intoxicated. My thoughts towards both alcohol and drugs are neutral though. I dont judge people who binge drink or people who use drugs. I don't mind them doing it around me either. I just want them to respect me enough to accept my "No Thank You" when i say so and not be a [bleep] about it (and in most cases people do respect it).

Ā 

Neither alcohol or weed kills anyway (not when you use small amounts of it anyway). I just dislike any hard drugs such as heroin, cocain, etc. People who produce them should all die of aids.

Being drunk has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Not only you act like an idiot, don't remember nothing afterwards, and are more likely to do things you'll regret, but the hangover the day after? Reminds me of the typical stupid guy who hits himself with a wall forgetting how it hurt last time. Seeking to get drunk is just stupid.

Ā 

Drugs? Similar to drinking. I'm not buying the whole "weed makes u see 54 diffrnt ways brah" [cabbage]. I like the way I think right now. Medical marijuana is where it's at though...been thinking of getting some for my terrible headaches, but don't know how to get it.

The reason people drink is because it can be a lot of fun. You're exaggerating the bad parts by not mentioning any good parts. Yea, you can do stupid things, forget stuff, and do things you'll regret, but that's why drinking in moderation, or actually knowing your own limits is key. I've never gotten hungover myself, but that'll probably come later in life. Drinking can lead to stupid things, no doubt, but it has it's upsides.

Ā 

Google mmj in your state, and that'll set you on the right path to finding the steps to get a license. I don't know if it's that great a help for headaches, though.

Ā 

And at above poster, alcohol is pretty [cabbage]ty for your body. Weed will never kill you directly. But yeah, moderation is key in all substances.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I personally believe that minimum age buying laws for alcohol should be slowly phased to a minimum age of 16. Also, the public needs to be educated about the effects and consequences of alcohol, and how it should be consumed (eg. A glass of wine with a meal goes nicely, 20 shots of vodka on it's own doesn't).

Ā 

A lot of the problems associated with binge drinking is to do with the fact that American/British people are unable to lawfully drink for so long that when they finally are allowed to, they typically overdo it. Binge drinking rates in the UK are shockingly high (I haven't got figures on me though)

Ā 

Drugs - Well, I wouldn't call it socially acceptable to take any hard drugs such as cocaine, so it's less of a problem to society as a whole.

Ā 

For Marujana, I wouldn't know whether to support the legalization of it or not. There are medical purposes for the consumption of it, but the potential for abuse is just too high. You could also argue that it is a gateway drug, potentially leading people on to harder drugs due to the tolerance the body starts building up after sustained marujana usage.

Ā 

Acid/Mushrooms - I don't know enough about it to comment.

Ā 

Crystal Meth - The government could change the system so that it's much harder to make crystal meth from pills. Perhaps put pure capsaicin in pills so that when the pills are crushed, it'll be like snorting or injecting 50 JalapeƱos extract, which could deter people from using it.

Ā 

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post. I'll leave this here until someone disagrees

I personally believe that minimum age buying laws should be slowly phased so that 16 year olds could buy alcohol. What needs to also happen for this to work, is to educate the public about alcohol, and how it should be consumed (eg. A glass of wine with a meal goes nicely, 20 shots of vodka on it's own doesn't).

Ā 

A lot of the problems associated with binge drinking is to do with the fact that American/British people are unable to lawfully drink for so long that when they finally are allowed to lawfully drink, they typically overdo it. The binge drinking rates in Britain are shockingly high (haven't got figures on me at this moment in time), which needs to be changed.

Ā 

Drugs - Well, I wouldn't call it socially acceptable to take any hard drugs such as cocaine, so it's less of a problem to society as a whole.

Ā 

For Marujana, I wouldn't know whether to support the legalization of it or not. There are medical purposes for the consumption of it, but the potential for abuse is just too high. You could also argue that it is a gateway drug, potentially leading people on to harder drugs due to the tolerance the body starts building up after sustained marujana usage.

Ā 

Acid/Mushrooms - I don't know enough about it to comment.

Ā 

Crystal Meth - The government could change the system so that it's much harder to make crystal meth from pills. Perhaps put pure capsaicin in pills so that when the pills are crushed, it'll be like snorting or injecting 50 JalapeƱos extract, which could deter people from using it.

Ā 

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post. I'll leave this here until someone disagrees

Ā 

Marijuana has a low potential for abuse compared to both major legal drugs, and almost all illegal drugs. It's only a gateway drug because it's a illegal, you're only likely to get introduced to harder drugs your dealer might have. Tolerance for weed is highly exaggerated. You will never get to the point where you will not get effects from smoking, it'll just take a bit more than at the start, and taking a few week break will reduce that to zero.

Acid arguably has a chance of flashbacks a few days after taking it, but I think it's minimal, and shrooms are pretty much harmless.

Ā 

Meth is rarely made from pills, it's made from over the counter ingredients. Pills can already be sold (they're already amphetamines, huge market for those as it is), but we are over-prescribing amphetamines as it is, but that's another problem altogether.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

In my opinion, the war on drugs is the most important, and most consistantly-faught war that the us has been involved in. Drugs are an interesting topic, as without bans, 'them kids would get addicted too quickly', but with bans, they just don't make much sense. Let's take the laws of vancouver as an example: you can officially start smoking/buying smokes at age 18, but have to wait until 19 to drink/buy alcohol. In the longrun, alcohol causes more monetary damage than smoking, but smoking kills more people than alcohol. Looking at it like this, one can assume that the government (the people who made these bans) care more about you losing money than they do of you dieing. What's weirder is that rather than perm-banning/perm-allowing these, they instead enter a 'grey-zone' by giving us age limits.

Ā 

I guess my opinion on this is summed up with this question: what does the government care more about, your life, your money, or your opinion?

div>

In the longrun, alcohol causes more monetary damage than smoking, but smoking kills more people than alcohol.

A smoking habit costs several hundred thousand dollars over a lifetime. I don't think alcohol comes near that. Though, medical expenses from alcohol could come close to those of smoking, though it's much less common since it's a lot more difficult to heavily abuse alcohol than tobacco.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I'm neutral on alcohol really. I smoke pot sometimes and I believe it should be legalized. Like Wisp said, moderation is the key with substances and intoxicants.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Ā 

The reason people drink is because it can be a lot of fun. You're exaggerating the bad parts by not mentioning any good parts. Yea, you can do stupid things, forget stuff, and do things you'll regret, but that's why drinking in moderation, or actually knowing your own limits is key. I've never gotten hungover myself, but that'll probably come later in life. Drinking can lead to stupid things, no doubt, but it has it's upsides.

Ā 

Keep in mind, I'm talking about getting full on drunk. People who go to parties "to get wasted" is what I'm targeting here. I've gotten tipsy before and I had a great time - I'm not denying the usefulness of alcohol, but the far extreme that the term "drinking" is paired with.

Ā 

And thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've never been a fan of drinking. Yes, I've done it, but getting drunk isn't the best feeling in the world. If I am to drink I only do a bit, and socially. As for drugs, I've done marijuana a few times. That's as far as I'll go. I suppose there's no real pros to doing it other than knowing what it's like (and because of that, being more tolerant of it), but personally I don't see why people should worry about it. It, relative to other drugs, doesn't cause a lot of harm. Let those that do it, do it. It's their own decision whether or not they want to, and it's their own consequences should they decide to make it into a problem.

Ā 

Don't get me wrong. I respect your opinion if you don't want to get into any drugs. In fact, more power to you. Only thing I don't like is when people snub into other people's business and make it THEIR problem.

Ā 

I'd might as well comment on tobacco as well. I'll never try it, and personally was never a fan of the smell. I suppose I tend to think of it as a dirty habit. But again, don't get me wrong. I respect those who decide to smoke, but I won't necessarily be too attracted to them.

j0xPu5R.png

If someone drinks a 6-pack of beer a week, I think that's more expensive than 1 person smoking a pack and a half a week. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of cars that alcoholics have crashed. Also, factoring in impaired driving tickets, alcoholism truly is worse monetarily. Smoking inevitably kills more, as iirc, someone dies every 3minutes from smoking-related health issues.

div>

Ā 

Ā 

Keep in mind, I'm talking about getting full on drunk. People who go to parties "to get wasted" is what I'm targeting here. I've gotten tipsy before and I had a great time - I'm not denying the usefulness of alcohol, but the far extreme that the term "drinking" is paired with.

Ā 

And thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

Oh, fair enough. Yeah, I rarely drink, and when I do I usually only have a few beers or shots, but I dislike going out and having far too much.

Just noticed you're in California. Well, you have it really easy in terms of getting a license, consider yourself lucky.

Ā 

at above: People don't generally smoke a pack and a half a week if they're smokers, a lot will go through that in a day. Tobacco, again, when you count in medical costs over a lifetime is 220,000$

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I personally wouldn't look at Marijuana as a gateway drug. Gateway drugs in my opinion are drugs that with a lot of use eventually lead you to try harder drugs in order to obtain the same high/buzz ect that you can no longer get from the gateway drug due to increased tolerance. But how many hard drugs really give the same "high" that marijuana gives? Most hard substances such as cocaine and methamphetamines are uppers which give almost the opposite effect of what you would get from marijuana.

Ā 

If I were to point to anything as a "gateway" substance I would point to alcohol, not because increased tolerance would lead to seeking another way to get "drunk" but because when a person is under a heavy alcohol influence they're more likely to do things that they wouldn't normally, perhaps trying harder drugs for instance.

Ā 

It still amazes me that marijuana (which if you do enough research you'll find that a lot of studies have shown more positive effects than negative) is illegal and alcohol is legal. Alcohol is easier to access, easier to abuse, and can more easily damage your body if not used in moderation.

Ā 

While I've consumed alcohol and tried marijuana (and still do both on occasion), and I don't have any ill feelings towards others who use them or don't use them, my opinion is that if anything were to be outlawed it should be alcohol. I also am under the impression that cigarettes (and any tobacco forms to be honest) should be illegal as well because the tobacco industry kills millions of people per year. However I wouldn't hold my breath for a tobacco ban anytime soon, their lobbyists provide the government with way too much money.

Ā 

I know too little about other drugs to comment on them at this time.

Ā 

Edit: Just to add, I live in area where marijuana culture is rampant (we have reaaally good pot) and I've also tried medical from Cali. Medical marijuana gets you much higher than homegrown stuff. In case the person asking about a mmj license was wondering. Just wanted to share my experience in case you were worried about being too affected.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

I would like to smoke weed if or when it is legalized. (don't really feel the risk of getting caught is worth it). As far as drinking goes I drink a little bit on the weekends, usually a few beers. I've gotten pretty drunk before and as you'd expect have never enjoyed the day after it.

Ā 

So yeah I'm not really apposed to any sort of drug use (well, I draw the line at a lot of really hard drugs such as meth/heroin) even though I don't do it myself.

Being drunk has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Not only you act like an idiot, Not necessarily don't remember nothing afterwards Not necessarily, and are more likely to do things you'll regret, but the hangover the day after? Reminds me of the typical stupid guy who hits himself with a wall forgetting how it hurt last time. Seeking to get drunk is just stupid.

Ā 

Ā 

I have gotten drunk quite some times and although I admit that I sometimes get carried away, I still hold -some- self control to prevent doing really stupid stuff, and not once I've gotten to the point of forgetting stuff. It's all about how much you consider to be getting drunk, but you can do it and not be the living stereotype of a drunk guy that is shown in sitcoms and silly movies.

Ā 

I drink, both with friends and on my own, but not very often (at my peak it was 2 times a week, but that didn't last for more than a month or so. That is if I don't count the time I got drunk like 5 nights in a row, but that's another story). I have smoked pot multiple times, and I do smoke when I get a chance, but I've never personally bought, so I depend on others to get it (I do pay for it, though).

Ā 

I respect other people's choices, and I don't try to impose something unto them, but I will try to talk a friend out of doing some heavy drugs. Luckily most of my friends are smarter than that.

Ā 

About legality, I think that it's kind of contradictory to have tobbaco and alcohol be legal, when they are proven to be more dangerous than some other drugs. Either ban them all or legalize the safer drugs.

16185_s.gif

About legality, I think that it's kind of contradictory to have tobbaco and alcohol be legal, when they are proven to be more dangerous than some other drugs. Either ban them all or legalize the safer drugs.

Ā 

I think that as soon as governments can find a way to control (and therefore PROFIT) from the legalization of safer drugs then we won't see it. Once they're wallets are getting fatter from it.. then we'll be able to enjoy them.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?