my predictions of the future of RuneScape

ixfd64

RS port is highly unlikely - how would you play RS with a controller? It's a mouse-based game, not a menu-based game.

One of your predictions is already true - bots today are mostly indistinguishable from real humans. Not to mention the free bots/auto clickers, the premium bots actually hack the game client at a pretty high level - hence why things like dung bots have became possible. Most randoms are solved by bots this way because they don't need to rely on the pixels at all. Auto talkers and just people who sit by the screeen while they bot have also made talking even a bad indicator of a "real" player. These days nothing short of constant CAPTCHAS and/or a seperate anti-botting client will detect bots 100%.

That being said, I'll make my DOOM~~ prediction one more time. RS isn't gonna survive to 2030 - definitely not in its current state.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

At a quick glance, humans and bots do seem indistinguishable.

Iin the strictest sense, however, that is pretty far from the truth. The fundamentals difference between humans and computers is that the latter lacks human traits, most notably emotion, reasoning and creativity.

For instance, if I were to have a conversation with another mature player, we could talk about subjects like philosophy and relationship advice. Current bots cannot do that.

Or, here's a more practical example: suppose a new mini-game is released tomorrow. Any human player who reads the instructions a few times would know how to play it. However, even an advanced bot would not be able to "learn" the mini-game on its own; the bot's author has to update its code first.

Just my two cents.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

You're assuming RuneScape will live until 2030, I would think it dies sooner. xD

Seriously though, I doubt RuneScape will be moving to a consol or phone, ever.

Runescape holds a huuuge chunk of the MMORPG industry (which is currently one of the biggest branches of video games

ever) so taken the fact that Jagex is constantly milking RS to make money, it's no surprise if Runescape DID exist

in 20-30 years later. We've gotten all the way from DeviousMUD to hosting RL events. Seriously. Just think of what else Runescape

can come to.

Runescape holds a huuuge chunk of the MMORPG industry (which is currently one of the biggest branches of video games

ever) so taken the fact that Jagex is constantly milking RS to make money, it's no surprise if Runescape DID exist

in 20-30 years later. We've gotten all the way from DeviousMUD to hosting RL events. Seriously. Just think of what else Runescape

can come to.

Erm I think you're mistaking RuneScape for World of Warcraft. xD

RuneScape may be the number two, but last time I checked this meant having less than 10% of the market share.

Still, I believe Jagex has every intention of keeping RuneScape a java based game, which (from my understanding) makes it hard to keep up with advances and to adapt it so that it's suitable for phones.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

It could be possible that RuneScape would evolve to the point where it would be downloadable and not reach its full potential in the browsers, and to be honest, that would be quite nice to see, although I'm afraid the entire "mobility" and "simplicity" of the matter would make some of the user-base row away, unless technology were to be on Jagex's side at that point.

Jagex is one of the most innovative people in the Games Industry, to be honest, so I expect plenty from them.

"Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone."

Vandite.png

Jagex is one of the most innovative people in the Games Industry, to be honest, so I expect plenty from them.

^ This.

Those predictions are pretty good, but I'm sure we will see a MUCH different future for RS.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I see RuneScape maybe having 1-2 (2 at the very most) "good" years left in it, after that, who knows.

This is coming from a player that once loved playing RuneScape (Classic) and then finally getting into RS2 and where I'm at now is simply; I don't feel any "urge" or anything to even log-on, generally the people I met through RS have my phone number or Facebook etc so there's no real need to play.

I guess the bottom line is you set your goals no matter what they are (mine being the first pure to max out) when you reach them you feel like there's not much point playing any more, with all the new additions to the game... you could easily make new goals but it's more too "easy" now to reach goals.

41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

//2014 - RuneScape comes to mobile

I think this may come in 2012 already.

RS won't ever come to mobile devices, clan-chat system will though however.

The only thing you may see RS playable on is such apparatus like iPads and such, essentially hand-held computers.

PS. He sort of looks like Simon Cowell lol.

TBH Unless you're really sure on it/have seen it noted I don't think Jagex will make an American HQ.

It'd just be too confusing and difficult. They're an English born, English based company with multicultural links yes. The first place they'd probably add a HQ is into Europe somewhere.

But then again think about it, if they created an American HQ there'd be 2 bases to try and negotiate through. You wouldn't be able to have the kind of update schedule we have now. And if you're thinking "Well they could keep the updaters in the UK and the customer service people in the US" then you sir are a fool. Jagex runs 24/7 with Mod's there all the time to assess complaints and the like no matter where from.

I just honestly don't believe that just because the American base is largest that Jagex would put a HQ out there to deal with it specifically... It'd have been like if the Royal Wedding that happened yesterday was broadcast at 1PM here so the Americans could watch it live from 8AM.

Just makes no sense to me...

Personally I think they'll stay English for a long time...

And I really really really really really really really *can't stress this enough* REALLY don't think Jagex will go public...

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

How about Jagex having better technology aswell in 2030. Maybe Jagex can now legally see your runescape screen due to some new law changes and has made a program that does that pretty efficiently.

Also I don`t think the game will die soon, even if the new generation comes. Let`s say at the time the new generation start playing, 10% of the old generation are still playing aswell, most of the parents that did quit playing Runescape have given their account to their kids so the account keeps going on.

You missed that world is going to end in 2012.

If you really believe that your an idiot.

Japan

That is all.

That is the kind of logic that clearly marks you as an idiot. Well done.

bestsignpic.png

2181st to 99 Runecrafting on 7/28/2009

You missed that world is going to end in 2012.

If you really believe that your an idiot.

Japan

That is all.

That is the kind of logic that clearly marks you as an idiot. Well done.

Says the person who believes that tremend was being serious.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.