Should you be able to buy items?

Wkw

Lets look at this for a moment. The rich are rich, and always get richer. Those who don't have the stats can not be rich, nor can they make money in order to get their stats up so that they can become richer.

Now, what is Jagex sold high-end armor, for real money? Of course, the items would be untradable, and possibly would turn to dust if you died with one of them, so they don't protect period.

But then there are some other ways..

-You pay a moderate fee, say $5-10 to rent the item for 15-30 days, then it vanishes when the time is up

-You pay a large fee, say $30-50, and you have the item forever, so long as you don't die with it.

If the price is sufficiently high enough, it wouldn't have a large impact on people "paying 2 win"..

What are your potatoes ideas?

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ithink post #8 made this go off topic..

I'm talking about legally buying, or renting items with real money...

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Ithink post #8 made this go off topic..

I'm talking about legally buying, or renting items with real money...

OHHHHHH. Sorry I kinda misread the topic title >.<

Anyways, I don't think this is a good idea, especially if the items themselves are temporary. Runescape is known for its cheap gaming prices and everything available at the buy of membership. Don't go the road of other games where you need to pay cash for items.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

no, why would someone that has more money get those benefits? Maybe for bank space (and then one time buy so not monthly), so if you would pay 5,00-10,00 you would get 50 bank spaces. Why am I allowing bank spaces but not items? Because having more bank space doesn't get you the advantage over other people, you can just store more stuff.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Most MMO's that sell items for IRL gold have a HUGE number of items and item sets compared to RS - most of them are unique and collectible, so that it's nearly impossible to get the best in everything. This is not RS at all - you have very finite sets of armour with nothing else in game that come even close to Torva. If you sell Torva- then it will highly favor those who have IRL $. In another game where this is possible, you can buy unique set A for irl money - it might look pretty and have +2 agility, but you can just easily get set B in game with the same stats. Most IRL money items sold are purely cosmetic, not usable in PvP, and/or just provide some convenience - ie. teleport scrolls.

That and Jagex's long standing policy to favor fair gameplay and make $ not matter so much ...well at least Jagex 3 years ago, idk about now.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

It would be a huge turn off for me but, to be honest, wouldn't stop me from playing. Not immediately, anyway. I imagine these items you propose kind of like the extremely powerful corrupt items you used to get from PvP drops...Don't think it would play out very well. For the players, the money they gain would never be worth the degradation of gameplay, yet it certainly wouldn't kill the game. As a business, they'd do it if it meant keeping the game running and getting enough profit in the bargain. I can only be thankful that things haven't gotten to that point yet.

hzvjpwS.gif

no, why would someone that has more money get those benefits? Maybe for bank space (and then one time buy so not monthly), so if you would pay 5,00-10,00 you would get 50 bank spaces. Why am I allowing bank spaces but not items? Because having more bank space doesn't get you the advantage over other people, you can just store more stuff.

Which in its self is an advantage.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Lets look at this for a moment. The rich are rich, and always get richer. Those who don't have the stats can not be rich, nor can they make money in order to get their stats up so that they can become richer.

False. You don't need stats to merch.

And no jagex should not sell items.

People are going to RWT anyway

Lets look at this for a moment. The rich are rich,
True
and always get richer.
True
Those who don't have the stats can not be rich,
If players don't have stats they will bot.
nor can they make money in order to get their stats up so that they can become richer.
If players dont have money they will bot.

It is completely not the case you cannot become rich, with free trade you can make your billions staking without needing a huge clan with bils to manipulate with.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Let me fix that for you.

Lets look at this for a moment. The rich are rich, and always get richer. Those who don't have the stats can not be rich must work hard to get rich, nor can they make money in order to get their stats up without working their way up so that they can become richer.

It's true that a fresh account doesn't start off rich. However, all that is required to make money in this game is to do some research into good money-making methods, and invest some time into carrying out those methods. Anyone who believes that the pre-existing rich have a monopoly on making money is mistaken. I paid for skills like herblore and prayer primarily from herb farming, fletching, and magic - all in excess of 1M/hr. Maybe one day I'll get around to boss hunting.

If Jagex let people buy in-game items for real-life cash, that is one of the few things that would make me seriously consider permanently quitting Runescape. I hope they never do such a thing.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Well it might encourage people to get off their asses and get a job :thumbup:

I have mixed feeling about this

Its like with TF2, im fine with people spending cash on hats for cosmetic use,

But if it was buying gear that would allow you to be better than other players simply because you have money, it seems to be unfair to the people that have to get them normally

No.

And this would never be implemented anyway, EVER. Jagex has been so dead on killing RWT for years, even doing major game updates to deal with it. How could they justify turning around and start selling items for real money?

EDIT:

Former Jagex CEO Geoff Iddison said that he wanted to merge the premium subscription model with micropayments. How do you feel about the idea?

I don't think you can take a game like RuneScape and retrofit microtransactions into it. The game's just too big, and I don't think it would add value for our players. Obviously that system could be more remunerative, but I think it would price a player experience too far up.

Source

Big_Stingman.png

Failed logic is failed.

Combat training is free/cheap enough for ANYONE to max out if they actually want to. It isn't a matter of people not being able to make money, they just don't want to have to put the grind in to do so.

You don't need stats or money to make decent cash. Start out doing something easy, green dragons for example. Get a few mil, start flipping. I was making upwards of 10m an hour within a few days of the release of free trade, and can still do so now (given the resources i had back then).

If you are bad at the game why do you deserve to be good just because you/your parents can afford to buy some [cabbage]?

EDIT:

Also, if Jagex were to ever do this, they wouldn't consider the impacts on the RS economy if it hindered the cash flow for them. I would bet top dollah that you could get an AGS for under £50.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

In the real world, some people are born into 3rd world hell holes, while others are born in America, or some developed European country where the opportunities a relatively plentiful.

In Runescape (sticking to p2p) we're all born the same, with the same skills and capabilities. Sure there are things like merchanting that may require some R.L. skills, but that's not the only way to make money; while a lot of the drops may be based on luck, all it takes is dedication and consistency in what you're killing.

In my opinion, there should be nothing like Micro-transactions within Runescape where you buy items with real cash. It makes it unfair to the real poor in real life. It's one of the reasons I hated LOTRO. I wouldn't mind untradeables based on WoW's Heirlooms .