Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Amazing/Astronomical/Arcane Actualities

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

The number 10100 is known as a googol

The number 1010100 is known as a googolplex.

If you tried to write a googolplex out by hand, you could not fit the paper inside the entire space of the known universe.

Yet, this number is still very very far away from infinity. In fact, it is no closer to infinity than the number 1 is.

Kudos to anyone who knows where I got this from (without searching...).

How many 0's are there in that number? I find it hard to believe it doesn't fit into the Universe, especially when we don't even know the full extent of the Universe. What is this statement based on?

He said it wouldnt fit in the KNOWN universe. Aka the amount of universe we are 100% definite exists as a bare minimum. As for the number of 0's thts the point; its a heck of a lot

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

If you tried to write a googolplex out by hand, you could not fit the paper inside the entire space of the known universe.

Yet, this number is still very very far away from infinity. In fact, it is no closer to infinity than the number 1 is.

How many 0's are there in that number? I find it hard to believe it doesn't fit into the Universe, especially when we don't even know the full extent of the Universe. What is this statement based on?

We've got a pretty good idea of how big it probably is, something like 13-14 billion light years. I'm pretty sure Wepon is involved in physics somehow, whether as a student or in whatever field uses it, he can say more. The Hubble Space Telescope's taken a pretty mind blowing image related to that though, of galaxies 13 billion light years away, meaning that we can see that area as it existed 13 billion years ago, and part of the way that we can tell the age of the universe is because light from farther hasn't had time to reach Earth yet.
Really, anything about space is going to be amazing/mind-blowing/etc. Spend an afternoon wiki-walking through astronomy articles, it's very fun.

Of course, I'm not an expert, so I might not be correct about this.

A googol would be 10 x 10, 100 times, and with my limited knowledge of math, I'm guessing that a googolplex is 10 times itself googol times. I'm not sure that last bit is gramatically sound, but whatever.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
A polar bear's skin is actually black. Its fur is clear, water repellent, and hollow. This adaptation allows it to keep itself warm in the coldest of climates.
Some polar bears at zoos are greenish because there's algae that grows on and inside its hair.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

There are 10100 zeros. So there are 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 zeros

The observable (known) universe is roughly 14 billion light years in radius (it is a "sphere")

14 billion light years is 1.32447398 × 1026 meters.

So the volume of the universe is V = 1.3 * pi * r3 so roughly 9.49 x 1078 m3 is the ammount of space available in the known universe.

A 400 page book takes up roughly 0.00098 m3. Each line on the page can fit about 50 zeros, 25 lines per page, means that an average, readable book would be able to contain roughly 50,000 zeros. So take the volume of the universe and divide it by the volume of a book and you will see that roughly 9.68 x 1081 books would fit inside the universe. This gives us a grand total of 4.84 x 1086 zeros.

If you wanted to print a book that would be able to fill the universe with a 10100 zeros, you would need to be able to print a book that contains 1 x 1019 zeros
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Silvertaler
[ Display Name History ]

Silvertaler

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • RSN:Silvertaler
Right we're talking about the observable Universe here, that makes a massive difference already. It's still really big.
Posted Image

dargonhuman
[ Display Name History ]

dargonhuman

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 940 posts

On average, ants compose 15-20% of the terrestrial animal biomass in the world, and as much as 25% in the tropics.

Someone get me a reallllllllllly big can of Raid. I'm going hunting!

Anatomically modern humans have existed for about 200,000 years. Of those 200,000 years:

190,000 passed before any of us anywhere in the world started farming.

195,000 passed before any of us learnt to write.

199,500 passed before the first book was press-printed.

199,980 passed before the start of the Internet as we know it.

199,985 passed when all that literary progress started going downhill with the advent of Net-speak...
Posted Image
Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS
I wonder if the universe does end... and whats on the other side. O.O I hope that after I die, these questions can be answered. :D
Posted Image

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Right we're talking about the observable Universe here, that makes a massive difference already. It's still really big.

Nobody ever talks about anything outside of the observable universe. Because...well, it can't be observed. So really we know nothing about it.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
A Boeing 747's wingspan (195 ft 8in on the smallest models) is longer than the Wright Brother's first flight (120 feet)

♪♪ And I'm not done

Nenga
[ Display Name History ]

Nenga

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,187 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I wonder if the universe does end... and whats on the other side. O.O I hope that after I die, these questions can be answered. :D

I'd rather them be answered while i'm still alive, if they're answered after I die there's a chance i'll never know them.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

I'd rather them be answered while i'm still alive, if they're answered after I die there's a chance i'll never know them.

At that point, I probably wouldn't care. :shades:

♪♪ And I'm not done

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

Carl Sagan? Sounds like something he would say.

A googol would be 10 x 10, 100 times, and with my limited knowledge of math, I'm guessing that a googolplex is 10 times itself googol times. I'm not sure that last bit is gramatically sound, but whatever.

Easiest way to say it is a googol is one followed by one hundred zeros. A googolplex is one followed by a googol zeros. Googol was also invented by a nine-year-old, when asked to come up with the biggest number they could imagine that wasn't infinity.

Youtube is six years old. Yeah.

~ W ~

Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Youtube is six years old. Yeah.

The first video uploaded to YouTube is about 19 seconds long.
Now, about 35 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.

♪♪ And I'm not done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users