Are these two items really worth it... for me?

Ezkaton

Chaotic Rapier and Soul Wars cape.

There will be some of you who open this topic and see immediately the two items in question and proceed to write a reply saying AMFG U R MAXED MELEES N DUNT HAV DESE?!?!>!<111 which indeed youre right to be doing; however, please dont until you have fully read the topic and can give me good reasons why I should.

First of all let us discuss the use of the Soul Wars cape and how I feel:

I am currently 95 prayer and therefore use turmoil or soulsplit practically every slayer task I do; however, I cope fine with prosylite and a skillcape/my firecape. Which is the first thing.

The second is that I find mining and hunter EXTREMELY boring grinds and a waste of my time. I spent a hour the other day to only get 61 hunter and 5k off 62, which means its going to be another 3 hours at red salamanders (at least) before I have the hunter level for NR.

These two factors together already put me off.

The final one is the one that I stand by most of all which is that no one can justify to me why the cape is worth it apart from the prayer bonus. Thing is this I really cant be bothered going and failing time and time again on trying Nomad (depending on how much I lag, freeze up, blackscreen, or just simply dont know what I am doing) which is why I cannot think of why I would spend 1m (I hear its about 1m for 4 trys) or something, wasting Overload doses, brew pots and super restore pots when I cope just fine at bosses and elsewhere compared to those people with soulwars capes. It just seems a little redundant to me.

Now for the biggie which I know most of you are itching to read about.

The first thing that puts me off getting a Chatoic in general is Dungeoneering. I classify it as a glorified minigame and just hate it in general, consciously and subconsciously.

Secondly, I have been told pretty much that (*these are my own words*) that I am too noob for DGS or a good team. Obt revealed to me I wouldnt have a fighting chance to be able to do a floor with DGS until 70 dungeoneering which Octarine and I figured would only mean I could probably do one floor to its full potential with them before Id be back to the drawing board. Therefore its going to take me time and effort to focus on just dungeoneering until probably around 80/84 before DGS would probably be of any use to me by which time in theory I'd have my rapier....

Therefore floors are going to come slowly and exp scarcely. Not to mention if they took me on as a project theyd have to put up with my lagginess.

Next thing that puts me off rapier is that at the way I am going Ill be 99 Slayer before I hit Rapier or SW cape, so therefore what use are they then? Ill have maxed 2/3 of my end-game skills and little inclination to use this chaotic where a whip is doing just as good a job and is training my melees now equally even though Im maxed melees. Also when it comes to bossing which is a major factor for both of these items I can compete quite nicely with maxed melees, turmoil and overloads and whip gaining a fair few kills per session with Kandy and Octarine.

Therefore tip.it I am at a loss. These two items will cause my dear friends an untold amount of eyeache (and earache for some of them) listening to and reading my bellyaching about how I'm hating doing the things I'll be doing. I dont know if Im just being a stubborn bastard or not, but considering the upsides and downsides to getting these two items, there is for me, too many downsides with the time and money invested into both honestly coming out to not be worth it when I am getting by perfectly fine with acceptable replacements

And at the end of the day the factor of fun could be raised. Personally I find trying to be efficient on rune good fun and good discussion, but there is a line and I think these two items probably cross it But we'll see... <3:

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Well firstly when it comes to the Soul Wars cape: They prayer bonus is the only reason for getting it, obviously. Where would you need such a cape? Well to be quite honest the only places i use a Soul Wars cape over my fire cape would be at TDs and DKs. For TDs having the huge prayer bonus is a must as you would not be able to do them efficiently without it. You spend 90% of the time you are there Using atleast 2 prayers at a time, which drains prayer points like you cant imagine. Ardy Cape is a pretty good sub, but nothing beats a SW cape there. As for DKs its the same thing. To enable yourself to kill them most efficiently you need a SW cape. Without one you're going to either have to take less brews and more Prayer Pots (which would put you at risk of not having enough healing) or your trips won't last as long (this applies for Solo Tribrid and Hybrid as you tend to use quite a lot of prayer). But aside from those 2 factors i cannont see any other use for the cape. If you don't do them often, there's really no use in getting them.

As for Rapier. Well much can be said about the DPS diffirence between a whip and rapier. All in all a Rapier will beat a Whip most of the times at Bandos. Rapier is a huge step up from whip when dealing with bosses but when it comes to slayer the diffirence isnt that big (not big enough to spend hours upon hours to get a rapier anyway). The only reason i could see for you to get a rapier is if you get serious about bandos, meaning a few trips a week. Sooner or later you;re going to realise that a whip just wont cut it and that your chances of getting crashed improves a lot when using a whip (this would be in a solo situation). If you dont do Bandos as often but more Zammy, then whip is fine. Kills will be the slightest bit slower with a Whip but it wont matter as much as it would at Bandos because no one would crash you at Zammy. Whip is also not bad on DKs and TDs (that's if you ever do them).

As for dungeoneering. I know where you're coming from because not too long ago i was there too. I hated DG because it always felt like a rushed skill. Thats one of the reasons i dont do floors with DGS. When i DG i find i enjoy an hour floor a lot more than a enjoy a 25minute floor (although now and then a fast floor is awesome). The reason behind this is that it allows me to take my time which makes the possiblity of messing up so much smaller. It also allows me to enjoy the skill to the max by using all the skills i have. That is just a fool's opinion though.

Regarding dungeoneering, I started with DGS when I was level 62. Mostly floor 30 and above are done as larges so from level 59 you could start doing a few floors with them. I hated dungeoneering before as well, but now really enjoy it and will have a rapier after my next reset.

screenshot041aoj0.jpg

I definitely think they are worth it and you should consider them. I don't think you should worry about killing Nomad; I was able to kill him first try with 94 att/str, 99 def, soul split (no turmoil), a pure set and void melee. So with your stats you should easilly be able to knock him over; simply run behind a pillar when he uses a special and brew up for the one you can't dodge. As far as the soul wars cape, it's really great to have for whenever you need a decent prayer bonus. I know you said apart from the prayer bonus, but if you get it and get a slayer task where you just have to pray (say spectres or spirit mages), you will notice just how much slower the drain is.

For the rapier, I didn't think it would be worth all that dging just for that. I got one recently though, and it definitely is. I've been using DGS since around 70 dg, and from around then I think you'd be fine to use it. As long as you can do abandoned floors, you should be able to get a decent amount of dging done. It really wouldn't take too long, I didn't want to do much dg but for the last 100k tokens decided to just get stuck in to it. It turned out to be quite enjoyable, and I got the tokens in 3 days, not spending all day dging, although I was on holidays then. So I think you should definitely consider them both.

Short answer - get them both.

All in all a whip will beat a rapier most of the times at Bandos.

No sir, I do not think that to be correct. Even using rapier on slash mode, the strength bonus difference is too great while the slash attack difference is only of ~4 or something.

OMG i don't even. . . :wall: x 1 000 000

I meant to say Rapier will beat Whip most of the times :oops:

Soul wars cape:

I have it and I don't really use it that often. Only when I know i'll be using a lot of prayer (TDs, certain slayer tasks). Also, if you're worried about being stuck on Nomad, just step behind a pillar to heal. It's that simple. Now, you've gotta be careful not to take too long or he'll reset his LP, but you should be able to handle it. I have a vid on Youtube about it (username: DeLilleD). AS Noxxx said, the ARdougne cloak is a decent alternative (especially if you have rapier).

Rapier:

I think it's awesome! My whip has remained almost untouched since I got it. Now, if you aren't going to use it for Slayer, it might be worth considering the 2 other chaotic weapons depending on what you plan to do in Runescape.

Personally, I think it's similar to the Imbued Mobil Armies rings or the Livid Farm spells: from a time-restricted point of view, it might take longer to get than it will ever save you in time later on, but it's nice knowing that you have the best thing out there. Also, in certain situations, it's still essential to have the best equipment, like if you're being crashed at Bandos.

If you think you might someday get it anyway, get it now. If you're sure you will never get it, you can do without, but you better get used to people asking you about it.

I ahve SW cape, it shouldn't be too hard for you. I got it with 70 prayer, low 90's melee and a n00b familiar. It took 5 tries, but hey, I never bossed before!

As for the rapier: As I'm a DG noob, and havent trained it a lot really, I got it up to to high 50's by tears of Guthix. As I slowly C2'd (wasn't nerfed back then) to the low abandooned floors, I was able to do the first abandoned floor with a team. They hated me for it, as nobody guided me whatsoever, and not having a hood in a full-hood team got me raped over and over. Now I'm back to my C1's and try to get a new team when I rech floor 30+. It's just the way it is, is what UI've been told.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

You can use a fire cape or Ardougne cloak 3 at most places and do pretty well without a Soul Wars cape, but it will mean shorter trips. This is important in team GWD, DKS and to a degree frosts/tds. But on tds you can use a fire cape very well, just do 1 overload trips with a steel titan and get 1 kill per minute*.

Chaotic rapier is no doubt worth getting.

*Results may vary :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It's late and I can't really elaborate, but soul wars capes are boss hunting capes, and Nomad should be easy-peezy with your stats. Definitely get it. Rapier is great for everything, slayer and otherwise. When I told you to get 70, I meant that having access to f30-35 would be ideal for getting into floors in DGS. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'll expand tomorrow. Goodnight.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

DGS generally does floors 30+. If you can do any of these I suggest that you do them with DGS. That means you can start well before level 70, it might just be harder to find people hosting the floors you need.

Also, if getting those skills up are all that's preventing you from getting a sw cape then by all means, level them up. After all, someday you may decide to stop using the cape, but at least those skill levels will be yours forever. You will likely kill Nomad on your first try so don't worry about that cost.

Bandos/torso + sw cape > fire cape + prossy top

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Chaotic Rapier and Soul Wars cape ...

Ezkaton -- what exactly is keeping you from getting the Soul Wars cape itself?

Is it the "questing" or the battle against Nomad? :unsure:

As he mentioned in his post, its the 2 skill requirements he lacks thats keeping him, as he hates to level them :P

In the OP he says it is because of the time investment into getting the skill requirements for the quest as well as the potential difficulties of the boss fight.

Edit: Ninja'd

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

As he mentioned in his post, its the 2 skill requirements he lacks thats keeping him, as he hates to level them :P

I'll respond to the Ninja:

Musta been the tl/dr thing ...

Okay -- then why not toss a few Effigies or Penguin Points on them and be done with them? Those requirements aren't THAT high to be impossible to achieve in a reasonably short amount of time.

I'm not saying necessarily that the cape is "worth" it -- but the quest itself, and the battle is sure as hell WORTH it, and 70 Soul Wars points is a good chunk of XP ...

nyuseg.png

I'll keep it simple, if possible.

Chaotic Rapier is much like a ZS. It's multifunctional, and pretty decent. It isn't the best everywhere, but it can be used almost anywhere. My complaint comes with it's accuracy. Speed is supposedly such a huge factor for damage output. I disagree depending where it is.. CLS has been kinder to me and is multifunctional at more bosses than a maul or rapier, and is also quite good for other things. CLS has higher everything except speed, and isn't much slower. I think the accuracy and damage per hit bonus it has over rapier makes up for the loss of speed. My opinion on that is get CLS and not a Rapier, especially if you may not be doing Slayer anymore. Even then CLS isn't that bad, but Rapier + Ovl and fsh is probably better, due to the constant high gain of stats.

Dungeoneering can be a pain, it can also be fun when done correctly. But at that same time, the fun is not common even under special circumstances. If you find it's not worth getting 120 Dungeoneering and do not really require 'frosts for money' or a chaotic, I'd say it isn't worth it at this time.

Onto SW cape..

I think that if you can afford to use prayer potions, Fire cape is much better, and Bandos set is even better with Turm and Ovl. The way SW cape comes into Rs is when you are limited on inv space, or you require more healing-type items than prayer, for camping. For instance, you could use a better damage setup for gear, and use less food possibly, or just last less time due to lack of prayer. It's not really necessary, but it isn't too-too hard to get. I think that you may spend 3-10 hours getting it once, but you can use it for more than 3-10 hours later.

Efficiency would say "Would it really save you 3-10 hours of time?", questioning if it would be worth it. It's so mediocre that in most cases, it really wouldn't. But it's welfare-type gear for bossing. If you want Torva at some point, or an elysian/divine drop, or perhaps something else later from updates, you should spend your time a bit on this cape. If you think there will be other ways for you to make money or get to where you want to be in Rs, don't even bother.

Overview:

Rapier = Near useless to you at this point, Chaotic c'bow/CLS = better option I think. But if you can cope without that slight bonus and won't be bossing majorly, it definitely isn't worth your time training that skill much.

SW cape = Can definitely be worth it in the long-run, but again, Fire cape can usually be better unless you are compromised on campability/inv space. It shouldn't be horribly spendy to get this, but in 'efficiency terms', it probably won't save you much time or money.

553VriC.png?1

Ren, very simply put: you can't disagree with the important of speed. A rapier is much better than anything else at most places, and as good as everything else everywhere else.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I figured I might want to add that DGS has really specific requirements, and is very bossy. I don't want strictness when training a skill I already don't like. On top of that, 9/10 times I've gone to DGS, there was no one dungeoneering, or only one group of people doing a few floors. It isn't really convenient or helpful for quickly leveling. It is about 15-30% faster than W117 for larges, and the dungeons seem to work out better usually. But I'd always rather do a W117/148 large than set foot in a DGS-controlled dungeon.

553VriC.png?1

I figured I might want to add that DGS has really specific requirements, and is very bossy. I don't want strictness when training a skill I already don't like. On top of that, 9/10 times I've gone to DGS, there was no one dungeoneering, or only one group of people doing a few floors. It isn't really convenient or helpful for quickly leveling. It is about 15-30% faster than W117 for larges, and the dungeons seem to work out better usually. But I'd always rather do a W117/148 large than set foot in a DGS-controlled dungeon.

Strict? No. Bossy, probably. If it's not for you, ok. But you should realize that your not-enjoyment of the skill is likely caused by your inability to dg well. It usually is.

Ren, very simply put: you can't disagree with the important of speed. A rapier is much better than anything else at most places, and as good as everything else everywhere else.

I knew you were familiar.

Again, I've seen rapier fail much harder than CLS -anywhere-. Unless you have -the best- skill-boosting prayers/pots/gear, it isn't good. He does have it, but because of that it makes a bronze sword turn into a dragon scim. Just think of what he cares to do with his time and the fact that whip will be better than it normally is. Don't compare a superpowered rapier to a person only equipped with a whip.

553VriC.png?1

I knew you were familiar.

Again, I've seen rapier fail much harder than CLS -anywhere-. Unless you have -the best- skill-boosting prayers/pots/gear, it isn't good. He does have it, but because of that it makes a bronze sword turn into a dragon scim. Just think of what he cares to do with his time and the fact that whip will be better than it normally is. Don't compare a superpowered rapier to a person only equipped with a whip.

I do not know what you are talking about. All evidence points to the rapier being superior for anything that is not Graardor or Zilyana.

Under certain circumstances (low defence, high offence boosts) a whip will be superior to a cls.

Ren, you are wrong. Rapier IS better than CLS almost anywhere, not the other way around.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Strict? No. Bossy, probably. If it's not for you, ok. But you should realize that your not-enjoyment of the skill is likely caused by your inability to dg well. It usually is.

And that is why I dislike DGS and Grimy Bunyip.

I'm good at Dungeoneering. I can cope with W117 better than wasting 40+ minutes per floor trying to set a team up in DGS chat. At that point it is MORE EFFICIENT to use W117 for a one-hour large.

And it's almost apparent that they just think they're the best, and everyone that disagrees is the worst. <- biggest reason not to set foot near these people. Insulting people that you want to come into your chat to help you find teams faster will never help you. Become leniant, less aggressive, but still educate people on what is the best and what they should do to be better. You'll have better results.

553VriC.png?1

And that is why I dislike DGS and Grimy Bunyip.

I'm good at Dungeoneering. I can cope with W117 better than wasting 40+ minutes per floor trying to set a team up in DGS chat. At that point it is MORE EFFICIENT to use W117 for a one-hour large.

And it's almost apparent that they just think they're the best, and everyone that disagrees is the worst. <- biggest reason not to set foot near these people. Insulting people that you want to come into your chat to help you find teams faster will never help you. Become leniant, less aggressive, but still educate people on what is the best and what they should do to be better. You'll have better results.

You are not good at dungeoneering until you can key a 25 minute large on any floor type, in my opinion. I highly doubt you can at that total level & dungeoneering level (though you might, of course).

I highly doubt you have actually spent a few hours in the chat, randomly skilling and chatting until the right floor comes along. I do not recognise your complaints at all. And I spend all of my online time in DGS.