Banning the burqa

Jaffy1

Ignoring that point however I completely agree with France's decision to ban the burqa. It is stopping Islamic assimilation of culture and preserving French culture.

That sounds extremely xenophobic. You don't want Islamic people there because they're different to French culture? While they're at it, why not ban yamaka's and the collars that Catholic priests wear?

It is xenophobic and it is Nicholas Sarkozy's stance on things as well: Sarkozy said that the law 'is to protect women from being forced to cover their faces and to uphold France's secular values.'

Wearing a face-covering veil is optional in the muslim religion, it is a cultural thing and not really a religious thing.

qTLQRuS.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring that point however I completely agree with France's decision to ban the burqa. It is stopping Islamic assimilation of culture and preserving French culture.

That sounds extremely xenophobic. You don't want Islamic people there because they're different to French culture? While they're at it, why not ban yamaka's and the collars that Catholic priests wear?

It is xenophobic and it is Nicholas Sarkozy's stance on things as well: Sarkozy said that the law 'is to protect women from being forced to cover their faces and to uphold France's secular values.'

Wearing a face-covering veil is optional in the muslim religion, it is a cultural thing and not really a religious thing.

I see what you did there. In that case, Sarkozy is being xenophobic. I find there's perfectly valid argument for banning people from covering their faces in public, but that isn't one of them.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It's not really to do with the assimilation of anything. It's just that in France, they expect people to be French first, everything else second, and being a French citizen means respecting the country's attitude to secularism; therefore they expect that French Muslim women should wear partial veils instead of full-faced veils.

It's not really anything against Islam per se, but more in the interests of French secularism. Is that xenophobic? Probably, but only if you categorise Islam as being inherently un-French, which I don't think it is.

Although I'm not sure where the majority is either, I'm not sure how that really matters. The proportion of Muslim women who wear the Burqa is already a very small minority group already. If the ban means that a single Muslim family gives up on forcing their daughter to wear the Burqa, then it's worth it.

That is the problem by banning the burqa you will not suddenly free women who are forced to wear it, instead you're creating a circumstance where they will be prisoners in their own homes. What western democracies should be doing is criminalising husbands/fathers/ family members who force women to wear the burqa and at the same time attempt to create an open and understanding atmosphere where women can come forward and report people who are forcing them to wear it against their will. Banning the burqa only serves to further alienate a section of society in a poorly thought out attempt to squash a problem that affects a tiny proportion of the population.

Of couse, some women choose to wear the burqa without any coersion from others and they should have the right to do so. I also find it interesting that the French law doesn't specifically mention the burqa in its text, instead referring to anything covering the face, it does however, only really apply to the burqa in practice.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

France categorizes religion in general as being un-french.

Yeah, that was more the point I was making. But that's not in opposition Islam specifically, as the guy I was responding to implied. Just that in a conflict between the state's interests and a religion's, the state should take priority.

EDIT: Just noticed that the 'q' in 'burqa' isn't followed by a 'u'. What is the meaning of this nonsense?

EDIT: Just noticed that the 'q' in 'burqa' isn't followed by a 'u'. What is the meaning of this nonsense?

Where did you get the idea of a 'u' being after the q from? It's not a French word, it's Arabic :)

I don't have much more to add to this conversation by the way, just wanted to ask that.

Don't like France and their anti-Islamic sentiment? Then get out. I support France. Anywhere else you go, if you speak out against Islam, you will get threatened or seriously defamed. (mostly due to radical Islam)

I dont like the logic that says, 'just because they do it, that makes it OK for us'. We need to uphold our standards of democracy, despite of the unjust countries. Western countries should always take the high world, and never sink down to the level of morality held by most Islamic countries.

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10

I think France is just fed up with Islam. Frankly, I think a lot of the world is too.

~I will always have some KO in my heart <3 thanks for the memory's KO unit~

Old troll.

Ex-Leader of KO Unit

Ex-Member of Legendz

Ex-Member of the Wilderness Guardians

I think France is just fed up with Islam. Frankly, I think a lot of the world is too.

This is essentially the idea here. While there are some issues associated with such a ban, given the small number of burka-wearers in France targeting them to ensure protection of French values and culture is not too bad an idea.

Freedom of religion does not extend to that which is harmful to others.

This is essentially the idea here. While there are some issues associated with such a ban, given the small number of burka-wearers in France targeting them to ensure protection of French values and culture is not too bad an idea.

Which is why Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, and the vast majority of Muslims live outside of its original Arabian countries. But hey, if you want to cover "I'm fed up with Islam" by saying "The world is fed up with Islam", go for it.

Which is why Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, and the vast majority of Muslims live outside of its original Arabian countries. But hey, if you want to cover "I'm fed up with Islam" by saying "The world is fed up with Islam", go for it.

fed up with radical islam.

islam is a great religion all in all. it preaches peace/prosperity and all that good stuff.

radical islam kills and it MUST be eradicated.

Agent_G_F.png

fed up with radical islam.

islam is a great religion all in all. it preaches peace/prosperity and all that good stuff.

radical islam kills and it MUST be eradicated.

...and banning the burqa achieves this how? Hint: It doesn't. By targeting such a small section of society (instead of trying to engage it) all you do is alientate Muslims in general which just feeds into the radical ideologues that already preach that the west is anti-Islamic.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)