Infinite Gold Glitch

Logdotzip

Phew! I'm glad that the glitch turned out to be fake.

The video was probably recorded on a private server and not the actual game.

Check out when he right clicks a player's name; those are legit players in the highscores. Yeah, that can be faked too, but it would be quite possibly the best rs fake ever.

To fake player names, world+click lag, worlds themselves, ge prices, price checker, everything else so perfectly would be mind blowing. All with the correct motion blur from the camera? Impossible.

Hypercam it first, frame edit in the stuff you want, play it back and record it. Very straight forward, even if it did take some effort.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jagex could very easily track the movements of xmas crackers or party hats, seeing as there are a limited number of them left. Someone trading one would be a rather major event to say the least, and if someone stumbled upon 10's or more partyhats in a very short time period, you don't think that would raise suspicions?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hypercam it first, frame edit in the stuff you want, play it back and record it. Very straight forward, even if it did take some effort."

And he did this all today? Have you ever done something like this before? It takes a lot of time to edit these things, and even then it doesn't come out perfectly

If this is indeed fake, I would think he put switched between the real RS client and the fake one. That way it is possible with good editing skills.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

"Hypercam it first, frame edit in the stuff you want, play it back and record it. Very straight forward, even if it did take some effort."

And he did this all today? Have you ever done something like this before? It takes a lot of time to edit these things, and even then it doesn't come out perfectly

It doesn't have to, he has a very shaky hand and an unfocused camera.

EDIT:

Also, seriously guys? Why would anyone bother filming their screen? Does this mean that the guys that were so brilliant to find out and exploit this glitch are too stupid to use a software screen recorder? If so, God help us all. Otherwise, they're just trying to distract us with migraines from their shoddy camera work.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I'm inclined to believe that it's legit. I don't trust jamflex outside of what is immediately evident, especially because of their past history of "protecting" the status quo. With how out of touch that company is with their playerbase and the consistent mis-management of every possible thing I would be impressed on jagex's part if they WEREN'T lying and the whole thing was a hoax.

Or you can just call me a jaded 9.5-year vet... But the magic has somewhat left the game with the Gower bros no longer at the helm.

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

1 of 3 things are going to happen.

1: its just a fake and gona wash over in a week. not many people will remember it.

2: its true but it does not end up effecting rs, the amount of gold entered being relatively small/banned or roll-backed in time.

3: falador massacrer all-over again! (but with the value of gp dieing instead of players)

i don't thing the last one will happen, the glitcher may be well known for stuff like this. but would he really go and screw up the game so badly? kind of like wrecking your own neighbourhood, what could you possibly gain from it?!

i will never count the last option out though :ohnoes:

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

It doesn't have to, he has a very shaky hand and an unfocused camera.

EDIT:

Also, seriously guys? Why would anyone bother filming their screen? Does this mean that the guys that were so brilliant to find out and exploit this glitch are too stupid to use a software screen recorder? If so, God help us all. Otherwise, they're just trying to distract us with migraines from their shoddy camera work.

He recorded with a camera to keep all the naysayers from citing it being "moepar", as faking a screenrecorder's content is far easier than faking a real recording, which is what he was going for, obviously.

Doubt it's fake. Reason why is because if Jagex said it was real, people would go freaking bonkers. Instead they are trying to keep the status quo.

Remember Jagex said no one had over 100 climbing boots when they made that update? And the Logdotzip incident? Jagex is known for coverups. 1 friend alone had 1k boots. ROT members were known to hoard boots and have insane collections.

They didn't say that. They said they hadnt seen anyone with over a thousand in the thousands of players that they had checked to ensure that it wouldnt have too big an impact on the economy. Yes there were players out there with over a thousand, as the mods soon discovered (whether or not they knew beforehand). :P But they were right in that it didnt have too big an impact on the economy as the total effect of it lasted a whopping 1 day.

I think it's fake and if some of the stuff in this thread Quick find code: 14-15-173-62689297 is true then tbh I think jmods WOULD be able to call it out as a fake before even running checks on it. Though I'm no technical expert so can't back them up myself.

Jagex's word on this matter is extremely suspect, especially since none of their actual programmers will be there at this time of day.

However, as a programmer with at least general knowledge of Java and two's complement math, I'm even more skeptical of this video.

It's true that if you could manage to get -2 coins, this could potentially produce very bizarre results unless Jagex had pre-emptively coded an awful lot of extra checks. However, supposing for the sake of argument that you could manage to get -2 coins, the most cash you should be able to generate is a single pile of max cash. If the video showed his pile of -2 coins becoming negative max cash, and he then had to get rid of it and re-get -2 coins to produce more, I'd be far more inclined to believe this video. But there's no logical reason why withdrawing 2B from -2 should leave -2 in his bank according to the way Runescape handles numbers -- it should leave -2,000,000,002 in his bank.

Edit: Here's another good reason to suspect this video of being fake. His video shows 1318 banked Santa Hats, considerably more than even Chessy had. The GE buy limit on santas is 2/4 hours. So it would take 109+ days (3.5+ months) to purchase that many through the GE, and previous comments indicate this guy's said that he discovered the "glitch" ~2 weeks ago. Could he have bought all of the rares through player-to-player trade? Yes, he could have, but it would be no easy task to find 1318 santa hats for sale in such a short amount of time. Such a vast increase in demand should have caused santa prices to go through the roof.

I'm assuming here that the guy's at least smart enough to use a disposable account to show off this "glitch". If he had somehow accumulated wealth greater than Chessy's prior to discovering the bug, and he was smart enough to discover a bug of that magnitude, there's no way he'd show off the bug on his main account which he hardcore merched with for years. That would be monstrously dumb.

TLDR: Negative cash should behave very differently if it were possible to get, and also he has far too many santa hats to have bought in the ~2 weeks this "glitch" has supposedly been in-use for.

Edit 2: Just checked at world 2, and santa prices seem fairly normal. I'll admit, when I first saw this I was worried, but the more I think it through the more I'm convinced it can't be real.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

He recorded with a camera to keep all the naysayers from citing it being "moepar", as faking a screenrecorder's content is far easier than faking a real recording, which is what he was going for, obviously.

I'd be more impressed if there was sound to it, and I could hear the tapping on the keyboard as he typed.

And oh, by the way, I find his typing skills while holding a camcorder and using a mouse live like that to be very impressive indeed. Almost like it'd be easier to pre-record it with a screen recorder, so you could have two hands free to type, and then re-record it later to make everyone dizzy.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Probably fake.. apart from anything else I would hope that Jagex has some kind of safeguard against this. It can't be too hard to edit client-side inventory, or even just use a third party hacked server within the RS client.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I hope this is a fake... im on a two week holiday with all of my cash in items that I think will rise... PLEASE BE FAKE!!

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

When buffer overflow was mentioned, I was highly skeptical. It's not possible to cause a buffer overflow through normal operation of the machine, but it may be possible through some tinkering with the underlying JVM. No guarantees, though.

Also, I have to stop and consider the source. This player has had a reputation of trying to make Jagex look bad. Why should I believe anything that he's spouting off now? :|

Third, I would presume that any stackable entity in-game would be enforced to be positive (so 231-1 max for any stack, of course). Making it register negative with both the client and the server sounds like a feat that's too good to be true.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

When buffer overflow was mentioned, I was highly skeptical. It's not possible to cause a buffer overflow through normal operation of the machine, but it may be possible through some tinkering with the underlying JVM. No guarantees, though.

Also, I have to stop and consider the source. This player has had a reputation of trying to make Jagex look bad. Why should I believe anything that he's spouting off now? :|

Third, I would presume that any stackable entity in-game would be enforced to be positive (so 231-1 max for any stack, of course). Making it register negative with both the client and the server sounds like a feat that's too good to be true.

Correction, the player in question doesn't have a reputation of trying to make Jagex look bad, he has a reputation of making Jagex look bad.

Second, I know you're one of the players who always adamantly defends Jagex regardless of the situation (you've proven that before), so I figure even if it was 100% not fake, you would doubt it, elsewise your precious rank might be in jeopardy.

But it is true, I don't know if this is real or not, I don't claim to know jack about java. Still, whatever svew was trying to do with this video, reaction wise, or gameplay-affecting wise, it worked.

More importantly, even supposing it were possible through some obscure buffer overflow to get a cashpile with -2 coins in it, withdrawing 2B from that should result in -2,000,000,002.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Edit: this is the most accurate comment I've found so far

What kind of moron would make a video about it when they could make thousands selling gold... must be some kid with down's syndrome...

I suppose the "word on the street" is that Svew has been using the glitch for around two weeks or so, slowly accumulating and trasferring cash and items to countless different accounts, and that the glitch was recently patched. You of all people should know it's in no one's best interest to publicise a still working glitch. I imagine this was upload after having been patched. That being the case, and assuming this is real, a lot of damage has already been done. But if any changes do happen to prices, it will be almost 100% due to panic, because if all this has been happening the last two weeks, nothing noticeably changed, demand wise

I dunno if its fake or not, in the short term it cant hurt to buy a party hat (or other rare) if you can afford one. Worst case scenario sell the second its confirmed as a fake

Yeah, that's my logic, best case scenario for me (and worst case for most everyone else), it ISN'T fake, and I pull a tidy profit off my yellow.

Worst case scenario (again, for me), it IS fake, and I sell the yellow for either a slight profit due to small amounts of panic rising, break even, or take a very small loss on it.

I'm browsing other sites about it, Specifically <link removed> (Don't go there, TIF rules, etc etc) and for those mentioning the Overflow stuff

"It's not exactly a "buffer overflow". If you were a programmer you would know. It's the same idea but since Java is a managed language, it's not possible in this situation. The command/packet table is like a giant queue, basically the bug consists of blocking this queue and causing it to overflow, but since in Java there is no overflow, an exception is thrown instead. The first one in the table is destroyed and the new one is placed in the last position on the table/queue.

Basically how it works. there a much larger technical process but thats the best I can explain it."

Will post more as it's found / might just edit this post

Edit: this is the most accurate comment I've found so far

What kind of moron would make a video about it when they could make thousands selling gold... must be some kid with down's syndrome...

I suppose the "word on the street" is that Svew has been using the glitch for around two weeks or so' date=' slowly accumulating and trasferring cash and items to countless different accounts, and that the glitch was recently patched. You of all people should know it's in no one's best interest to publicise a still working glitch. I imagine this was upload after having been patched. That being the case, and assuming this is real, a lot of damage has already been done. But if any changes do happen to prices, it will be almost 100% due to panic, because if all this has been happening the last two weeks, nothing noticeably changed, demand wise

[/quote']

If you don't tell anyone it won't get patched unless players start noticing massive inflation (trillions), or someone else finds it.