To do a clue, or not do to a clue. That is the question..

Alpaca_Toast

Well I just had a quick question for the community. I do a lot of slayer and usually end up getting clues. I used to do them for awhile but would end up getting crappy stuff and or a black hatchet :P

So..I just got a Clue (hard) drop and was wondering is it worth pursuing?

Alpaca_Toast.png

Money grows on the tree of persistence

I usually do most of my clues, even though most of the time they're not worth it at all. I just find them fun and a nice 10-15 min break between tasks.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I only do hard and elite clues, and I can do most from the top of my head as well. Best thing I've gotten over the course of several years was a saradomin platebody, but I do them as they're not a pain to do.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I always do my clues. Granted the ones I get from slayer are usually the (hard) kind.

I never do anything less than a hard clue anymore.

Things with clues have changed alot since the clue update. I used to even with a "bad" clue get some rune armor. Now when I get a "bad" clue I get 10-30k in junk.

Even with that said I still do them in the vain hope of one day getting a great reward but even so, they are a good distraction and a nice break from slayer.

sigre4.png
999r.png

I'll usually do Hard clues in between Slayer tasks since there's the chance of a nice amount of gp for 10-20 minutes work. I very rarely do Elite clues though, I don't enjoy them that much.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I only do slayer clue scrolls because it was a goal I set when I was a newb on the journey to 1000 streak task.

I certainly wouldnt do it otherwise. They aint worth it.

For record im also quite fast at completing them as I have had lots of practice by now but its still not worth the effort/time.

I don't consider going anything aside from elites. Even though hards are really easy, it is a waste of my time

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

It just makes me wonder though...Because even though I never get anything I could get lucky..You just never know :/

This is the same logic that causes plenty of good people to waste thousands of dollars on lottery tickets and slot machines.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I continue to do hards and elites, but honestly I doubt they're worth it. I've been thinking about just dropping them in the future. I'm undecided at the moment.

Edit: Assuming it only takes 10 minutes to bank, get the stuff needed to do a clue, do all the running around, retrieve and sell the proceeds (highly optimistic), then for most high-level players capable of making 3M+ per hour, the average clue value would need to be 500k+ for the clue to be worthwhile. It certainly seems to me that my average clue value is far less than that.... the only question is whether the high-value items like third age really do balance it out over the long term...

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I continue to do hards and elites, but honestly I doubt they're worth it. I've been thinking about just dropping them in the future. I'm undecided at the moment.

Edit: Assuming it only takes 10 minutes to bank, get the stuff needed to do a clue, do all the running around, retrieve and sell the proceeds (highly optimistic), then for most high-level players capable of making 3M+ per hour, the average clue value would need to be 500k+ for the clue to be worthwhile. It certainly seems to me that my average clue value is far less than that.... the only question is whether the high-value items like third age really do balance it out over the long term...

Third age doesn't ballance it out. After doing over 350 hard clues from 85-97 slayer, and no rewards being worth over 1m, assuming the one I have in my bank gives me third age melee legs (the most expensive third age item from hard clues) and each clue takes 15 minutes, it would be something like 560-750k/hour. Really makes me not want to do clues anymore, however, a sudden boost of 120m to my bank would help me out TONS.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Heya,

Since you're asking for help I'm moving this thread to Help & Advice for you, you should get more answers there ;)

~Jimmy_Jim

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Considering that I get lucky every few months (3rd age range legs in november, ranger boots in february), I do them. I also find them to be a decent break in between tasks.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

I only do elite clues.

Level 3 clues take up far too much bank space for req. items for clues (battlestaves/armour etc.) and the best thing I received from 200+ level 3 clues was a zammy kite, so naturally I gave up. Elite clues I find to be more fun and rewarding.

2vuhgcn.png

None of the clues are worth doing if you can make money at frost dragons. That being said I rather enjoy sliding puzzles in moderations, and elites are rare enough that I do them and enjoy it. I do not do any other clues, but if you have to, level 2 clues are probably decent for the 30m ranger's boots.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It just makes me wonder though...Because even though I never get anything I could get lucky..You just never know :/

This is the same logic that causes plenty of good people to waste thousands of dollars on lottery tickets and slot machines.

That's a better reply then the one I had.

Most replies I see on clues is that they aren't worth doing in terms of efficiency, but the people who say that do them anyways because they want to.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I don't get what people are saying about not getting anything worth over a mil...

Every couple of clues I get something good.

I've never gotten third age in over 400 clues but I still keep doing them.

Ps. Did a clue yesterday and got a zammy page and a zaros page in the same clue..

Kaiya_Tomiko.png Roky_X.png

They probably aren't worthwhile if you hate doing them, but I generally store them in me bank and take them out for slayer tasks in case a better type drops. Normally they're worth 10-50k (mediums, mostly) but if I got something good then it would really help me out :) .

I'm not an efficienado.