Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does going mainstream mean you are destined to be hated?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,230 posts
The stronger you hate it, the larger it will become.

Why? Because as long as it gets attention, it gets mainstream. For better or worse.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Schutzengel
[ Display Name History ]

Schutzengel

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I agree with RpbGamer. Haters make things more popular. If you don't like a certain type of music, than it's better to say nothing about it than to hate on it.

Distracted
[ Display Name History ]

Distracted

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • RSN:A Real Fool
That's [cabbage]: haters may make the thing more famous, but as long as there are only haters making money off it will be hard. There are certainly people that like mainstream music, it's because it's mainstream that it's hated and not vice-versa.

Just think of the logic in your statement: you're basically saying that record companies should try to make something that is hated by as many people as possible to make money. That just doesn't make sense.

Ieyfura
[ Display Name History ]

Ieyfura

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ieyfura
hrm. Well. I usually try to shove my musical tastes down everyone's throats. And most of it is far from "mainstream". If my favorite groups went mainstream, so what? Awesome, I now have more people to discuss my musical tastes with. Silly ppl hating for the sake of hating. *rolls eyes*
"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.
I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Posted Image

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

That's [cabbage]: haters may make the thing more famous, but as long as there are only haters making money off it will be hard. There are certainly people that like mainstream music, it's because it's mainstream that it's hated and not vice-versa.

Just think of the logic in your statement: you're basically saying that record companies should try to make something that is hated by as many people as possible to make money. That just doesn't make sense.

Actually, look at Nickleback. Mentioning you like them on the internet is a death sentence, it's hard to overstate how utterly loathed they are If hate for them was any bigger, it would collapse in on itself and create a black hole. But they're popular. Sure, they've got a huge hate-base, but they have a bigger fanbase. They're not catering to us self-righteous internet folk, they're catering to them, and it's pretty much guaranteed that none of those guys will ever have to have a real job.

And with Rebecca Black, let's be honest, you probably don't know anyone that hasn't heard of her. She's a celebrity, and she's probably going to be able to reap whatever rewards a celebrity of her status can.

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

Actually, look at Nickleback. Mentioning you like them on the internet is a death sentence, it's hard to overstate how utterly loathed they are If hate for them was any bigger, it would collapse in on itself and create a black hole. But they're popular. Sure, they've got a huge hate-base, but they have a bigger fanbase. They're not catering to us self-righteous internet folk, they're catering to them, and it's pretty much guaranteed that none of those guys will ever have to have a real job.

And with Rebecca Black, let's be honest, you probably don't know anyone that hasn't heard of her. She's a celebrity, and she's probably going to be able to reap whatever rewards a celebrity of her status can.

Who's Rebecca Black, I've never heard of her...

krimi
[ Display Name History ]

krimi

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:der krimi
Are social norms and values up to discussion here?

HeeroValentine
[ Display Name History ]

HeeroValentine

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • RSN:Human Sloth
It happens because deep down inside...We're all hipsters O_O!

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

You'd think the more money you have, the more beer you consume, yeah? The answer is no. The amount of beer you consume steadily increases until you reach a 22k$/year income, and then it drops. Why? First of all, because you're most likely older and less likely to drink tons of beer in a short amount of time; second, because you're drinking more wine.
In other words, just because something is twisting logic into a pretzel, doesn't mean it's untrue; you're just missing a piece of the puzzle. That piece is called Ark Music Factory.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

TrueBeaver
[ Display Name History ]

TrueBeaver

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • RSN:TrueBeaver
  • Clan:Red Blade Hunters

Posted Image
"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell
"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

Posted Image

#1 Warring 90+ Clan. Awesome Community. Click to join.
Posted Image

Tidgy
[ Display Name History ]

Tidgy

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 43 posts
I liked the mainstream before it went mainstream but now it's mainstream I hate it.

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts
I hate mainstream music because most of the songs are just terrible and there's alot better talent that aren't getting the credit they deserve and like you said once a band goes mainstream alot of the times they change to a more poppy sound to attract the braindead zombies.
372nd to max total level

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
So in order for someone to stop being 'braindead' they must stop listening to pop music?

Sorry, the more I read your post the more I'm comprehending the meaning of 'judgemental'.

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
A lot of mainstream music is fake, and more of a product than a piece of art. That doesn't mean it's bad; it still does what it's supposed to do. If that's what you listen to, you have very bland taste in my opinion, but you could do much worse.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts

A lot of mainstream music is fake, and more of a product than a piece of art. That doesn't mean it's bad; it still does what it's supposed to do. If that's what you listen to, you have very bland taste in my opinion, but you could do much worse.

So what if one of your favorite artists becomes mainstream? Does somebody who listens to them after they became mainstream still have a bland taste in music?
Posted Image

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

So what if one of your favorite artists becomes mainstream? Does somebody who listens to them after they became mainstream still have a bland taste in music?

I didn't say mainstream music was bland. A lot of it is. It's more a matter of which of their release they listen to, whether the artist maintained his "integrity" before becoming mainstream, etc.

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts

So in order for someone to stop being 'braindead' they must stop listening to pop music?

Sorry, the more I read your post the more I'm comprehending the meaning of 'judgemental'.

No, I just think that these people that listen to the lady gagas and keshas of music should really expand there musical tastes and stop liking something just because it's popular.
372nd to max total level

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts

No, I just think that these people that listen to the lady gagas and keshas of music should really expand there musical tastes and stop liking something just because it's popular.

But that implies that the only quality that music has is it's popularity. There's a reason it became popular.
Posted Image

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

This is perhaps the most horrible thing I've read on these boards, and I've sat through three religion threads. The fact that I'm listening to an obscure band only makes it worse. :ohnoes:

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

This is perhaps the most horrible thing I've read on these boards, and I've sat through three religion threads. The fact that I'm listening to an obscure band only makes it worse. :ohnoes:

Way to edit, Mask. :3

And everything is always destined to be hated. But yeah, the more widespread/mainstream something becomes, the more scrutiny it comes under, the more people hate it. And I would say a good deal of those people are just hating on it for the sake of hating on it.

Has there been a 'Haters Gonna Hate' picture/gif in this thread yet? It could benefit greatly from the application of one. Hop to it, whoever the guy is that has lots of reaction images/random pictures.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users