Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does going mainstream mean you are destined to be hated?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P

So in order for someone to stop being 'braindead' they must stop listening to pop music?

Sorry, the more I read your post the more I'm comprehending the meaning of 'judgemental'.

No, I just think that these people that listen to the lady gagas and keshas of music should really expand there musical tastes and stop liking something just because it's popular.

But that implies that the only quality that music has is it's popularity. There's a reason it became popular.

Yes there is a reason it became popular, because the radio stations know exactly what the teenagers will latch onto. kesha/brokencyde/gaga/many more are just examples of how you don't really need talent to become popular. and I'm not saying all mainstream is bad, cee lo green/adele I admit are good and got popular but majority of it is garbage to me and alot of other people.
372nd to max total level

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Way to edit, Mask. :3

And everything is always destined to be hated. But yeah, the more widespread/mainstream something becomes, the more scrutiny it comes under, the more people hate it. And I would say a good deal of those people are just hating on it for the sake of hating on it.

Has there been a 'Haters Gonna Hate' picture/gif in this thread yet? It could benefit greatly from the application of one. Hop to it, whoever the guy is that has lots of reaction images/random pictures.

I aim to please :mrgreen:

Wasn't it Wongtong that had that great 'Haters gonna hate' image in her sig?

TrueBeaver
[ Display Name History ]

TrueBeaver

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:TrueBeaver
  • Clan:Red Blade Hunters

Has there been a 'Haters Gonna Hate' picture/gif in this thread yet? It could benefit greatly from the application of one. Hop to it, whoever the guy is that has lots of reaction images/random pictures.

Posted Image
"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell
"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

Posted Image

#1 Warring 90+ Clan. Awesome Community. Click to join.
Posted Image

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
^ You have done me and your whole family proud.

EDIT - Wow... does that sentence make any sense whatsoever? Done me proud? Is that even a thing that can be said? English? Words? Question marks?
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

blaah
[ Display Name History ]

blaah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Fluffyzoe64
Ease of access. Sorry I enjoy pop music. I call it stupid repeatedly, but it entertains me, no matter how stupid the word are or how low quality/unoriginal the beats are. I used to hate a lot of it, but I'll admit, it's a lot easier to access pop music and makes me relatable to people. Plus, my music tastes are just jumbled. I never start a conversation by stating my favorite band/singer. If I'm in the car with my friends, I'm going to listen to obnoxious pop songs and scream "BLACK AND YELLOW" because it's high energy and catchy. If I'm alone, I listen to half pop music (I love Ke$ha, leave me alone) and half Sick Puppies/30 Seconds to Mars/10 Years/Breaking Benjamin.

On hating, I tend not to use the word hate, but I HATE "Party in the USA". I used to have zero tolerance for country music, but I got over it and now it doesn't bother me. If a person is in an environment where country is the norm, they may hate rap, pop lovers hate metal, and metal lovers hate everything besides metal. It's just easy to categorize things into love and hate.
/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.
Posted Image
Insert rant here

[img ] CAT [/ img]

httpBen
[ Display Name History ]

httpBen

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts
I don't really understand how you can hate music, simply because it's popular.
Generally, I don't enjoy pop music, well, ever. But it's too shallow and meaningless to inspire any feeling even remotely as strong as hate.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
I think "hate" is just the modern thing of people describing in affirmatives:
* I don't enjoy pop music, therefore I hate it.
* It wasn't meant to happen, therefore it was random.
* It wasn't boring, therefore it was epic.

I kind of laugh on the inside at people who take Ke$ha's party gurl image seriously. She's come out about a dozen times and said it would be ridiculous to think she honestly lived the life she portrays in her songs and videos, but people I know in real life still get on her for being a skank... Actually I think her music's not bad. I mean I'm not gonna buy the album but I'll listen to it if someone else does.

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts

I don't really understand how you can hate music, simply because it's popular.
Generally, I don't enjoy pop music, well, ever. But it's too shallow and meaningless to inspire any feeling even remotely as strong as hate.

I don't hate it because it's popular I hate it for the same reasons you listed.

I think "hate" is just the modern thing of people describing in affirmatives:
* I don't enjoy pop music, therefore I hate it.
* It wasn't meant to happen, therefore it was random.
* It wasn't boring, therefore it was epic.

I kind of laugh on the inside at people who take Ke$ha's party gurl image seriously. She's come out about a dozen times and said it would be ridiculous to think she honestly lived the life she portrays in her songs and videos, but people I know in real life still get on her for being a skank... Actually I think her music's not bad. I mean I'm not gonna buy the album but I'll listen to it if someone else does.

The thing you have to remember though is alot of Keshas fanbase are young girls and the music and videos whether you want to believe it or not encourages young people that living a scandalous life is okay. I think she is one of the worst artists out right now and I don't see how you can honestly like her music at all she sounds like a robot with all that auto tune, she cannot sing at ALL. I mean if someone said Rihanna can sing I would disagree with you but at least I can see where you get that idea from if your the kind of person that was raised on american idol and somehow think that's what singing is but if you actually think for a split second that kesha can actually sing or has any talent whatsoever you are out of your mind. Majority of the people that like her are teen girls who think there cool because they listen to a song with a little language and subject matter that's a little risky and it's absolutely disgusting.
372nd to max total level

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films
People who complain about auto-tune should use it themselves and become famous!

Wait.

That won't work...but why?

Oh yeah; mainstream artists aren't famous for their talents, but their image the record companies think they have. If a rich man offers you to play the violin (you suck terribly at it) for millions of dollars, who wouldn't accept?

Blame the record companies. Blame idiotic tweens and teens. But you can't blame a person to hop on millions of dollars...in fact, all of us would do the same thing.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Wait.

Oh yeah; mainstream artists aren't famous for their talents, but their image the record companies think they have. If a rich man offers you to play the violin (you suck terribly at it) for millions of dollars, who wouldn't accept?

Blame the record companies. Blame idiotic tweens and teens. But you can't blame a person to hop on millions of dollars...in fact, all of us would do the same thing.

Good point.

Although I read your entire post in T-Pain's auto-tuned voice.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts

Wait.

Good point you're right it's all the music companies (and the people) fault because there target audience are teens it sucks for most adults though because we have to really search to find good new music nowadays. Oh well most of these people that listen to kesha etc will look back and wonder how the hell they liked that music, I think once you grow older you start to appreciate music more.
372nd to max total level

blaah
[ Display Name History ]

blaah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Fluffyzoe64
Want to get kids to appreciate music? Help out music in schools and require multiple years, and not just at elementary/middle school ages. Teach them to listen to music and hear everything that goes into a composition. Teach them to play an instrument. Put them in small ensembles. Or, go in a direction away from instrumental composition - put them in a choir, a capella. Teach them to make music without the tools we have today to create the songs all of us listen to. Once they know how to listen, how to notice layers, maybe they'll look for "good" music, defined by this thread as anything that isn't pop music. Maybe they won't, they'll learn to hate whatever they hear in school and go for pop music. Or maybe they'll be like me and listen to a mix of songs mostly computer generated and songs with actual strings in the background and many in between.

And Ke$ha sounding like a robot... Choir voices sound like geeks, rap voices sound like normal talking, death metal voices are screaming, it's all a matter of what you like to hear.
/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.
Posted Image
Insert rant here

[img ] CAT [/ img]

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

The thing you have to remember though is alot of Keshas fanbase are young girls and the music and videos whether you want to believe it or not encourages young people that living a scandalous life is okay. I think she is one of the worst artists out right now and I don't see how you can honestly like her music at all she sounds like a robot with all that auto tune, she cannot sing at ALL. I mean if someone said Rihanna can sing I would disagree with you but at least I can see where you get that idea from if your the kind of person that was raised on american idol and somehow think that's what singing is but if you actually think for a split second that kesha can actually sing or has any talent whatsoever you are out of your mind. Majority of the people that like her are teen girls who think there cool because they listen to a song with a little language and subject matter that's a little risky and it's absolutely disgusting.

I said I think her music is alright, I didn't say she was necessarily talented from a musical perspective. She's not pushing the boundaries of contempory music, no. You're confusing music made for art's sake and music made for commercial success. If someone in the latter group uses an autotune to make it more audible, I really couldn't care less. It's not a talent show, it's about what I like listening to and what I'm prepared to pay for. What do you propose: banning autotune and forcing consumers to listen to singers who can't sing that well?

As far as Ke$ha's impact on young teens is concerned, young girls since the Second World War have found an interest in songs that refer to alcohol and partying. 12 year old girls want to behave like 18 year old girls within their cultural group. That's pretty much universal across all western countries. Your attitude is similar to those who say punk music turns adolescents into uncontrollable anarchists, when it clearly doesn't. If young boys do turn into anarchists, I'm more likely to blame their parents since such boys are very much in the minority.

Ke$ha may give young teens an image to chase but she doesn't create the situation where they turn drunk just to have a good time.

All_Is_Great
[ Display Name History ]

All_Is_Great

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
A lot of artists on the radio have this really heavy nasal breathing sound after EVERY SINGLE WORD. It is ANNOYING.

Staurolite.png

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts

I said I think her music is alright, I didn't say she was necessarily talented from a musical perspective. She's not pushing the boundaries of contempory music, no. You're confusing music made for art's sake and music made for commercial success. If someone in the latter group uses an autotune to make it more audible, I really couldn't care less. It's not a talent show, it's about what I like listening to and what I'm prepared to pay for. What do you propose: banning autotune and forcing consumers to listen to singers who can't sing that well?

As far as Ke$ha's impact on young teens is concerned, young girls since the Second World War have found an interest in songs that refer to alcohol and partying. 12 year old girls want to behave like 18 year old girls within their cultural group. That's pretty much universal across all western countries. Your attitude is similar to those who say punk music turns adolescents into uncontrollable anarchists, when it clearly doesn't. If young boys do turn into anarchists, I'm more likely to blame their parents since such boys are very much in the minority.

Ke$ha may give young teens an image to chase but she doesn't create the situation where they turn drunk just to have a good time.

I have no problem with autotune actually, but when you can tell it's been drenched in it I get turned off quickly.

When most of the songs on the hit radio stations are about drugs and partying etc etc it most likely is affecting people, I blame the parents also for letting them listen to that music not only because it's horrible but because the message from these [bleep] pop stars are clearly not what young girls should be doing, just party all the time and get drunk that's keshas message to the masses.

Music from the 60-90s is the greatest music ever made it's a shame that most new music suck. Probably because artists back then did alot of drugs tbh.
372nd to max total level

bongo_man
[ Display Name History ]

bongo_man

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 490 posts
  • RSN:I God O Pk I
  • Clan:None

Want to get kids to appreciate music? Help out music in schools and require multiple years, and not just at elementary/middle school ages. Teach them to listen to music and hear everything that goes into a composition. Teach them to play an instrument. Put them in small ensembles. Or, go in a direction away from instrumental composition - put them in a choir, a capella. Teach them to make music without the tools we have today to create the songs all of us listen to. Once they know how to listen, how to notice layers, maybe they'll look for "good" music, defined by this thread as anything that isn't pop music. Maybe they won't, they'll learn to hate whatever they hear in school and go for pop music. Or maybe they'll be like me and listen to a mix of songs mostly computer generated and songs with actual strings in the background and many in between.

And Ke$ha sounding like a robot... Choir voices sound like geeks, rap voices sound like normal talking, death metal voices are screaming, it's all a matter of what you like to hear.

I'm somewhat of a product of what you're saying here. Before I began to take my music studies seriously I used to listen to genres such as rap, pop and in general modern songs that were popular amongst youth. When I delved deeper into the roots of music I learned about things such as harmonic and melodic structure, texture, orhcestration, timbre, etc., and how some of the great composers before us used them. As I continued gaining knowledge my appreciation for composers of the periods before us (i.e., Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist) increased exponentially. Music I had found to be boring and dull in my ignorant youth years had become a pleasure to listen to. You can literally write a book about the intricacy of these composers' works and how meticulous they were while creating them.

Needless to say, I don't really listen to modern-day genres such as rap and pop anymore; hell, I didn't even know who Kesha was until a few months back. Part of this is due to the lack of appreciation I have gained for poorly structured or simple/uninteresting song structures, which unfortunately appear quite frequently in these genres. This is not to say I need a song to be super complex or that I dislike every pop song, admittedly I like a catchy pop song with common chord progressions every once in a while: it can be comforting to listen to.

Personally I think it's best to agree to disagree and let people listen to the music they like despite it being mainstream, undeground, or whatever people label it nowadays. We have to remember that one of the main reasons people listen to music is because of the pleasure it brings them, and what may sound good to one person's ear won't necessarily sound the same to someone elses.That being said, a person's innate feelings towards a song is heavily influenced by, sometimes even solely based on, its social status. I can bet that there are hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy Justin Bieber's songs, but because of his status as a bad, untalented artist, their enjoyment of his music becomes incongruent with his social status and they therefore deem his music bad.

Trust your ears people, if it sounds good to you then embrace it.
Posted Image
[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or
by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

We have to remember that one of the main reasons people listen to music is because of the pleasure it brings them, and what may sound good to one person's ear won't necessarily sound the same to someone elses.

Church. Women appreciate deep voices more while men prefer higher singing registers. It's in their DNA.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

We have to remember that one of the main reasons people listen to music is because of the pleasure it brings them, and what may sound good to one person's ear won't necessarily sound the same to someone elses.

Church. Women appreciate deep voices more while men prefer higher singing registers. It's in their DNA.

Huh, never thought of that.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

When most of the songs on the hit radio stations are about drugs and partying etc etc it most likely is affecting people, I blame the parents also for letting them listen to that music not only because it's horrible but because the message from these [bleep] pop stars are clearly not what young girls should be doing, just party all the time and get drunk that's keshas message to the masses.

Music from the 60-90s is the greatest music ever made it's a shame that most new music suck. Probably because artists back then did alot of drugs tbh.

And they sang about it. Just like today, the songs are about sex, drugs, and partying. There really isn't any other topic in '80s glam metal, and '70s rock only breaks out of it to go into stoneresque philosophy and mysticism (Progressive rock) or music about how great it is to be MANLY (AC/DC).

The best part about the '60s to '90s is that the [cabbage] has already been filtered out for us. You don't think that the songs you hear on the radio are the only songs that got radio time then, do you? Take a look at this, or this, tell me how many songs you recognize. And that's just the US.

iamsomebody1
[ Display Name History ]

iamsomebody1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 225 posts

And they sang about it. Just like today, the songs are about sex, drugs, and partying. There really isn't any other topic in '80s glam metal, and '70s rock only breaks out of it to go into stoneresque philosophy and mysticism (Progressive rock) or music about how great it is to be MANLY (AC/DC).

The best part about the '60s to '90s is that the [cabbage] has already been filtered out for us. You don't think that the songs you hear on the radio are the only songs that got radio time then, do you? Take a look at this, or this, tell me how many songs you recognize. And that's just the US.

Alot of the songs they wrote back then had deep meanings about things that were happening then and just about life in general. They also seemed to have alot more passion than todays music and I notice the songs can really move you, but idk everyone has different views on music.

I don't listen to classic radio stations I look up old artists and usually just download the songs I like and I actually recognize alot of those songs, the ones I don't are genres of music I don't care for too much.
372nd to max total level

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users