Does going mainstream mean you are destined to be hated?

DragnFly

Pfft, you have nothing to feel special about. This song is set in a very simple i - VI - VII chord progression, and reaches its pinnacle of complexity at the end of the riff with a harmonic minor, which remains within the most basic music theory. The lyrics are nothing special, it's a typical unrequited love story. The singer and the lead guitarist are technically good, but they don't do anything particularly special. This is hardly more complicated than a Katy Perry song (which I dislike, by the way).

Sounds like you don't know much about how music works, and you decided to dislike music based on its popularity and associations as opposed to its intrinsic merit.

[Edit] Haven't listened to the second song, I'll do it later.

Haha Scorpions are considered to be one of the greatest bands ever you really have no idea what you're talking about. I would love to see your idea of a good song and no trance/rap bullcrap.

And by millions of people Kesha is the best ever too.

The issue here is that you don't value music by it's complexity of production but rather of your opinion. Kesha and Scorpion are both very bland in the ways of musical theory/math/thingsidon'treallyunderstand according to Omar.

tl;dr (a word of advise to all too)

Stop bashing the mainstream and listen to your damn music.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. The more people that know you, the more people that hate you.

Fix'd - at least in terms of raw numbers. :rolleyes:

I found a panda and then we bought malt liquor. I hold my malt liquor better than a panda.

And I thought my weekends were good. ._.

Pfft, you have nothing to feel special about. This song is set in a very simple i - VI - VII chord progression, and reaches its pinnacle of complexity at the end of the riff with a harmonic minor, which remains within the most basic music theory. The lyrics are nothing special, it's a typical unrequited love story. The singer and the lead guitarist are technically good, but they don't do anything particularly special. This is hardly more complicated than a Katy Perry song (which I dislike, by the way).

Sounds like you don't know much about how music works, and you decided to dislike music based on its popularity and associations as opposed to its intrinsic merit.

Haha Scorpions are considered to be one of the greatest bands ever you really have no idea what you're talking about. I would love to see your idea of a good song and no trance/rap bullcrap.

The issue here is that you don't value music by it's complexity of production but rather of your opinion. Kesha and Scorpion are both very bland in the ways of musical theory/math/thingsidon'treallyunderstand according to Omar.

Kesha the best? if anyone thinks that lmao gl irl all I can say.

These people are going to grow up and look back and wonder how the hell they listened to that crap. I use to listen to some [cabbage]ty bands when I was young like mcr/linkin park/papa roach etc etc mainstream crap but I finally grew up few years ago.

I'm done here though too many butt hurt mainstream fanboys

372nd to max total level

Kesha the best? if anyone thinks that lmao gl irl all I can say.

These people are going to grow up and look back and wonder how the hell they listened to that crap. I use to listen to some [cabbage]ty bands when I was young like mcr/linkin park/papa roach etc etc mainstream crap but I finally grew up few years ago.

So if it's just a phase, why the [bleep] are you even worried about it?

Jesus, you're a damn butt-hurt anti-mainstream fangirl. Complain way too much.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The scorpions are practically a mainstream band lol.

Hipster Chara also doesn't like mainstream.

I6r9L.jpg

The criteria I've always used for music is whether it took talent to create and is real. Anything autotuned or overly mixed, I'm not okay with. But for example, even though I'm not a rap/hip hop fan, I really like some of that stuff from the nineties when it was actually real.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Scorpions ARE mainstream. All of their '80s hits get played on Modern pop and rock radio, especially that one. They even came out with a new album last year. They have a metric [cabbage]ton of music videos and hit singles.

[spoiler=Exhibit A]

Featuring... Uh... A singer from a 2000's metal band. Funny thing about that.

That said, I love the Scorpions, I'm not complaining. I just wish they'd play more of their '70s stuff.

[spoiler=Exhibit B]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHsKbbNiA0

The scorpions are practically a mainstream band lol.

Hipster Chara also doesn't like mainstream.

I6r9L.jpg

The criteria I've always used for music is whether it took talent to create and is real. Anything autotuned or overly mixed, I'm not okay with. But for example, even though I'm not a rap/hip hop fan, I really like some of that stuff from the nineties when it was actually real.

I totally know where you got that from :shades:

Hipster Chara is awesome!

@iamsombody1

Look man, drop the whole elitist attitude. We've all been there, and it's not a good place to be. My friend was in a similar phase last year, whenever he heard people talking about mainstream artists, he'd always quip in with something about "that crap", or mutter something under his breath involving "those idiots". Now, personally, I am disgusted by what is played on the "hot" radio stations, where they have about 15 songs on their playlist that they just have on shuffle and repeat, but I don't go out of my way to make myself feel superior because the music I listen to. No one is better because they listen to Pink Floyd instead of Katy Perry, and the same vice versa.

Now I'm not huge into musical theory, but some of my favourite songs just for your reference:

[hide=My favourite songs atm]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0solnL1XY&feature=youtu.be

[/hide]

Staurolite.png

I listen to almost exclusively mainstream songs, at this moment it's Luckenbach, Texas by Waylon. Come at me bros.

The only two exceptions I can think of are Right Side of the Tree and Corey Smith, which you could probably argue are more mainstream than a lot of bands.

Also I love mainstream radio stations.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

Look man, drop the whole elitist attitude. We've all been there, and it's not a good place to be. My friend was in a similar phase last year, whenever he heard people talking about mainstream artists, he'd always quip in with something about "that crap", or mutter something under his breath involving "those idiots". Now, personally, I am disgusted by what is played on the "hot" radio stations, where they have about 15 songs on their playlist that they just have on shuffle and repeat, but I don't go out of my way to make myself feel superior because the music I listen to. No one is better because they listen to Pink Floyd instead of Katy Perry, and the same vice versa.

:thumbup:

As a former classics elitist, I have to say you're missing out. There's awesome music made after 1990 if you're willing to dig a bit, and going through life limiting yourself to a small bit of music is your own loss.

You've been calling me out on my mainstream taste even though what I listen to is, for the most part, not mainstream, and I mean that in terms of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if, even if you wanted to listen to them, you weren't able to find where to download these.

Sympozion

8,992 plays (1,349 listeners)

The Reign Of Kindo

781,514 plays (14,889 listeners)

Dark Castle

104,192 plays (4,109 listeners)

Iron & Wine

46,759,018 plays (1,354,145 listeners) [7-digits for good measure, or else someone's going to call me out on being a hipster or something stupid like that]

I could go on. The fact that you pointed out Scorpions is considered (by whom? citation needed?) a great band once again shows that you're going by other people's opinions, as opposed to forming your own. You probably have no idea why Scorpions could be said to be a great band. Clearly, it's not because their music was complex, because as I showed earlier it's simple as can be.

That doesn't mean Scorpions are bad. I just said you had nothing to be proud of.

Also, calling Sympozion crap because you don't like it after a minute is just absurd, the track lasts three minutes and a half that form one cohesive block; you can't judge a whole song, let alone a whole album or artist based on a one minute sample... Do you play or write music at all?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

You've been calling me out on my mainstream taste even though what I listen to is, for the most part, not mainstream, and I mean that in terms of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if, even if you wanted to listen to them, you weren't able to find where to download these.

Sympozion

8,992 plays (1,349 listeners)

The Reign Of Kindo

781,514 plays (14,889 listeners)

Dark Castle

104,192 plays (4,109 listeners)

Iron & Wine

46,759,018 plays (1,354,145 listeners) [7-digits for good measure, or else someone's going to call me out on being a hipster or something stupid like that]

I could go on. The fact that you pointed out Scorpions is considered (by whom? citation needed?) a great band once again shows that you're going by other people's opinions, as opposed to forming your own. You probably have no idea why Scorpions could be said to be a great band. Clearly, it's not because their music was complex, because as I showed earlier it's simple as can be.

That doesn't mean Scorpions are bad. I just said you had nothing to be proud of.

Also, calling Sympozion crap because you don't like it after a minute is just absurd, the track lasts three minutes and a half that form one cohesive block; you can't judge a whole song, let alone a whole album or artist based on a one minute sample... Do you play or write music at all?

The fact that they have sold over 100 million albums tells me they must be good. I listen to them simply because I enjoy their music/lyrics and that's good enough for me also they don't sound like anyone today, that's the good thing about the old days every band was unique and had there own sound, now you can't tell them apart. I swear nickleback and theory of a deadman are the same exact band.

Sympozion sounds terrible to me I like to have a singer in the song without a singer it's all just crap like trance/techno (which mind you, take absolutely no talent at all I could probably make that music if I put my mind to it).

You're out of your mind if you think I will sit through an hour let alone 3 minutes to listen to them, just to give them a "fair" chance. They suck imo.

372nd to max total level

I listen to them simply because I enjoy their music/lyrics and that's good enough for me

Nice one.

Same for just about everyone else who listens to music, mainstream or otherwise. Personally I can't stand metal, but I'm not going to slate you for liking it or claim my preferred music is better simply for not being metal.

The fact that they have sold over 100 million albums tells me they must be good. I listen to them simply because I enjoy their music/lyrics and that's good enough for me also they don't sound like anyone today, that's the good thing about the old days every band was unique and had there own sound, now you can't tell them apart. I swear nickleback and theory of a deadman are the same exact band.

Sympozion sounds terrible to me I like to have a singer in the song without a singer it's all just crap like trance/techno (which mind you, take absolutely no talent at all I could probably make that music if I put my mind to it).

You're out of your mind if you think I will sit through an hour let alone 3 minutes to listen to them, just to give them a "fair" chance. They suck imo.

Justin Beiber has sold over 10 million albums in two/three years, does that mean he's good?

Musical taste is a matter of opinion. There's no way around it. It's impossible to be "right".

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I listen to them simply because I enjoy their music/lyrics and that's good enough for me

Nice one.

Same for just about everyone else who listens to music, mainstream or otherwise. Personally I can't stand metal, but I'm not going to slate you for liking it or claim my preferred music is better simply for not being metal.

So you're telling me the people that listen to rap and the other crappy artists like lyrics about mistreating women and about how they have so much more money than you? *braindead zombie cough cough*

I'm really finished here because I know you guys don't want me bashing your favorite artists. I will leave you with some classic songs you will probably like.

Justin Beiber has sold over 10 million albums in two/three years, does that mean he's good?

Musical taste is a matter of opinion. There's no way around it. It's impossible to be "right".

Justin bieber has no real credibility (or staying power), the Scorpions do. The only people that would say Bieber is good/best are young tweens/teens.

372nd to max total level

No, iamsombody1, people don't listen to them because they LIKE the lyrics. Half the time lyrics don't even matter when it comes to mainstream music. My theory is that the people who listen to them just want something not-so-serious. The reason they are mainstream is because they appeal to the masses, why? because it's easy. Easy to produce, easy to listen to, easy to dance along, to sing along etc. The lyrics are also easy to memorize and repeat.

Compared to mainstream music, other types of music are "harder" to listen to. They require more understanding, more appreciation. Take prog rock/metal for example, many of the songs are REALLY long, and this just bores some people. The longest song I have on my iPod is probably 15 minutes, and that doesn't even come CLOSE to the length of progressive songs. I find a song over 30 minutes to be hard to listen to, but others find over 10 mins is torture. But none of this means one person is better than another.

You're really off, but it's ok, it's just a phase and we've all been there.

Staurolite.png

No music without singing? Well, there go all of Bach's fugues, jazz, most electronic music spanning from ambient to EDM and including IDM, movie soundtracks, post-rock, and a big chunk of metal and progressive rock...

I don't mind what you listen to; but you pat yourself on the back for listening to deep music and searching for your music when there's nothing complicated about the lyrics, nothing different about the score, nothing underground about the band. Moreover, you put people down because they listen to music you don't like, despite the fact that you clearly know nothing about music history or composition (the fact that you think you could make trance, which is a genre I couldn't see myself listening to, ever, is a great example. Figuring out how a synthesizer works and how to mix a track isn't an innate skill); how can you judge whether music is good or not without this? You can't; you can't name a single reason why this band is good, based on their music and solely on that. That's why you resort to calling everything you don't like [cabbage]: your own, subjective taste has become a benchmark according to which you belittle what you dislike, and hail the bands you like, backed by anonymous music critics whose opinions are likely not much more valid than yours.

It's like reading Lord of the Rings-type fantasy books and saying you have great taste in literature, and every book you don't like (including the classics, which are respected by people far more educated) is [cabbage]. You don't have outstanding taste. You're different from everyone else who just reads the books they're given in class, but you're only doing it to make yourself feel good about yourself, and your taste isn't "better"; it's just not the same thing; rotten apples and rotten oranges, if you will.

I'm not upset you said Sympozion was [cabbage]. I know enough about music to know they're an extremely innovative band.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

No music without singing? Well, there go all of Bach's fugues, jazz, most electronic music spanning from ambient to EDM and including IDM, movie soundtracks, post-rock, and a big chunk of metal and progressive rock...

I don't mind what you listen to; but you pat yourself on the back for listening to deep music and searching for your music when there's nothing complicated about the lyrics, nothing different about the score, nothing underground about the band. Moreover, you put people down because they listen to music you don't like, despite the fact that you clearly know nothing about music history or composition; how can you judge whether music is good or not without this? You can't; you can't name a single reason why this band is good, based on their music and solely on that. That's why you resort to calling everything you don't like [cabbage]: your own, subjective taste has become a benchmark according to which you belittle what you dislike, and hail the bands you like, backed by anonymous music critics whose opinions are likely not much more valid than yours.

It's like reading Lord of the Rings-type fantasy books and saying you have great taste in literature, and every book you don't like (including the classics, which are respected by people far more educated) is [cabbage]. You don't have outstanding taste. You're different from everyone else who just reads the books they're given in class, but you're only doing it to make yourself feel good about yourself, and your taste isn't "better"; it's just not the same thing; rotten apples and rotten oranges, if you will.

I'm not upset you said Sympozion was [cabbage]. I know enough about music to know they're an extremely innovative band.

You don't know what I listen too I only put 2 songs. I have many obscure bands on my ipod.

A song is good to me if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple. I find mainstream music boring and repetitive, you need to accept some people don't like mainstream and can have their opinion.

372nd to max total level

You don't know what I listen too I only put 2 songs. I have many obscure bands on my ipod.

A song is good to me if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple. I find mainstream music boring and repetitive, you need to accept some people don't like mainstream and can have their opinion.

Like I said, I am perfectly at peace with the music you like and the music you dislike. The problem is you consider yourself to be an authority. In short, you think if you don't like it, it's crap.

A song is good to me if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple

As opposed to:

I like a song if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple

Your close-mindedness is all the more frightening that you're accusing me of not accepting your opinion, when you're making your subjective opinion into an objective statement. I don't mind people saying they don't like a style of music. But saying it's bad and anyone who listens to it will need luck in life (what for anyway?) without arguing about the music itself is not an opinion. It's insulting and injurious.

Like I pointed out earlier, musical taste can be even biologically determined. It has nothing to do with your level of intelligence.

Like I said, I am perfectly at peace with the music you like and the music you dislike. The problem is you consider yourself to be an authority. In short, you think if you don't like it, it's crap.

A song is good to me if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple

As opposed to:

I like a song if I enjoy how it sounds, it's that simple

Your close-mindedness is all the more frightening that you're accusing me of not accepting your opinion, when you're making your subjective opinion into an objective statement. I don't mind people saying they don't like a style of music. But saying it's bad and anyone who listens to it will need luck in life (what for anyway?) without arguing about the music itself is not an opinion. It's insulting and injurious.

Like I pointed out earlier, musical taste can be even biologically determined. It has nothing to do with your level of intelligence.

Whatever buddy, I'll leave you my channel and vids. I'm done arguing with a troll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17ckOHJS7A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaOdYXiI5I

372nd to max total level

I've been waiting for you to leave, and you keep coming back.

OMAR, YOU'RE GETTING TROLLED, ABORT ABORT

Oh no, what will I do now?