02-May-2011 - Behind the Scenes � May

BloodAngel

Go with the flow in May with flowing capes of distinction and mining at the Lava Flow Mine; then behold players 'walking tall' with hats that morph depending on your Wilderness and Duel Arena kills, and hear even taller tales in the form of the Fremennik Sagas. Finally, round off May with some general upgrades taken from player suggestions on the forums.

Capes of Distinction

Kicking off the merry merry month of May will be some snazzy new capes, as first revealed in the Capes of Distinction blog, and which was soon followed by a Guaranteed Content Poll to let players decide the look of one of these capes – the veteran cape.

That winning veteran cape design will soon be available to all players who have had a RuneScape account for at least five years. Joining it is the Classic cape, for all of those who have at some point logged into RuneScape Classic on their account.

Alongside these two will be a series of nine player-crafted capes that can be woven (on a loom) once you’ve trained ALL of your skills up to a multiple of ten. For example, the milestone cape (20) can be made when all of your skills have reached level 20. The first of these capes will be the milestone cape (10) (all skills at level 10) going up to the milestone cape (90) (all skills at level 90).

So, the natural question to follow that is: ‘What happens when you’ve trained all your skills to level 99?’ It’s not like you can wear all your skillcapes at the same time – for a start, the colours would clash, and you’d get a bit hot with so many layers. In which case, you’ll probably want to track down Max in Varrock and buy a max cape from him. Don’t think that a max cape is Max’s cape, though, as you can make it very much your own by customising its colours how you wish, much like with clan cloaks.

Even the max cape is not the end of it, for there is at least one more cape to be claimed only by those deemed worthy of it – it’s on display on the top floor of Varrock Museum. What will it take to prove you are its rightful owner? The only way to find out is to try to take it!

Finally, the veteran, Classic, max and ‘Varrock Museum’ capes all come with emotes and ever more fancy designs.

Dwarf Lava Flow Mine

Those of you who have played the King of the Dwarves quest should already be aware of the Lava Flow Mine, a striking example of dwarven ingenuity that supplies power to the whole of the underground city of Keldagrim. And if you’ve helped the dwarves with that little regal issue, the mine will soon become a new mid- to high-level (68+) area in which you can train the Mining skill.

You’ll need to dash around the mine to stop too much crust from forming and to keep the lava flowing. Doing so will provide you with a decent amount of Mining XP, but you should also keep an eye out for other things going on nearby, including boiler breakdowns, a lava monster and TzHaar hero, haunted pickaxes, and the elusive liquid gold nymph who, once appeased, will reward you with parts of a golden mining suit, the full version of which grants a 2.5% Mining XP boost. (Think of it as the Mining equivalent of the lumberjack outfit.)

Death Hats

Who doesn’t like hats? Hats are great! They keep the sun out of your eyes, warm your head in cold weather, can be worn at a jaunty angle, thrown in the air and left to just simply exude general hat-ish qualities. Come mid-May, they’ll also be able to show off to the rest of RuneScape just how many players you’ve PKed in the Wilderness and defeated in the Duel Arena.

The wildstalker helmet will track your Wilderness kills and the duellist’s cap your victorious duels, each morphing into ever more terrifying styles as you reach certain milestones. Both hats will give you the ability to transmogrify into a commemorative statue, upon which other players can behold your various PvP stats, and they’ll also let you perform a suitably fear-inducing emote. Don’t fear the reaper; fear the owner of a fully morphed death hat!

Upgrades Week

One of the weeks in May will see a variety of minor updates, fixes and improvements, which have been compiled from some of players' most discussed issues on the forums. For example, there will be: an optional filter for the Summoning pouch/scroll creation interface, so you can choose to view either all pouches/scrolls or just those you’re currently able to make; the herbalist at the Grand Exchange will decant potions into two or three doses; an ‘open all’ option will be added when using a hammer on a coconut; and the message when a bird’s nest drops while Woodcutting will be made more noticeable.

Graphical Improvements

Two more areas of RuneScape are set for some visual overhauls in May. Draynor Village will be the first to be given a new lick of paint, and Rellekka will be jumping on the bandwagon towards the end of the month.

Fremennik Sagas

Rounding off May will be the Fremennik Sagas. These will be a slightly new type of content – a mix of Dungeoneering and quests. They’re presented as a series of three replayable stories, as told by a cursed Fremennik going by the name of Skaldrun...and you’ll get to relive them! You’ll take control of and experience first-hand the lives of some of Daemonheim’s denizens and those who have struggled to uncover the secrets of its depths.

Step into the giant boots of Dungeoneering’s mighty Fremennik skill master and Thok It to ‘Em, by bashing everyone and everything on the head! Become the last of a group of forgotten warriors and take Vengeance on a party of ‘heroic’ dungeoneers! Finally, prove that Three’s Company, by leading Ariane, Ozan and Sir Owen on the hunt for a notorious bandit hiding out in Daemonheim, marking these characters’ first in-game appearance! (Keep an eye out for these three wandering around elsewhere too...)

If you don’t have the level requirements to play a complete saga, you’ll still be able to play an abridged version of it, from which you’ll get only a small part of both the reward and the story...but you can always return to play through them again when you do have the levels required to play the unabridged versions. Three’s Company (30 Attack, Magic and Ranged) will be completely available to free-players, with Vengeance (55 Agility and Thieving) and Thok It to ‘Em (70 Strength) being for members.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the elusive liquid gold nymph who, once appeased, will reward you with parts of a golden mining suit, the full version of which grants a 2.5% Mining XP boost. (Think of it as the Mining equivalent of the lumberjack outfit.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Do you know how much I hated getting a Lumberjack Outfit, Jagex? DO. YOU?

You’ll take control of and experience first-hand the lives of some of Daemonheim’s denizens and those who have struggled to uncover the secrets of its depths.

Astea and Lex's story was so sad. T^T

hzvjpwS.gif

inb4LRCpwnsLavamine

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

We can change the color of the Max cape? YESSSSSSSSS

Lava Mine sounds interesting.

Don't care about the hats.

Upgrade Week sounds great.

Love Graphic Updates. Full support.

First I thought Freminnik Sagas was Freminnik Sages and went "sounds boring".

After finding it what it really was, I'm looking forward to it.

Like the look of this month.

I have never seen a worst BTS or updates in my entire 9 years of playing this game - and I thought April was bad.

-Pointless capes

-Yet another way to train mining even though there's no 'reason' to train (ARTISANS ANYONE?)

-Hats that show ki.... wtf is this son of a [bleep]ing update? Who [bleep]ing thinks of something so [bleep]ing stupid?

-Upgrades week... wow. Holy mother of God man, now the fixes and patches are becommnig main updates

-Graphical improvements... these shouldn't be main updates anyway

And omg no, not a quest with 70 strength!

Anyone thinking May is even remotely good must have been hit on the head.

Ooh, are these new Fremmenik things new quests? Or just another set of mini-quests? Either way, hope we get a new bind out of this as well.

Looking forward to those capes as well.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

We can change the color of the Max cape? YESSSSSSSSS

Lava Mine sounds interesting.

Don't care about the hats.

Upgrade Week sounds great.

Love Graphic Updates. Full support.

First I thought Freminnik Sagas was Freminnik Sages and went "sounds boring".

After finding it what it really was, I'm looking forward to it.

Like the look of this month.

But I'm already a forgotten warrior, and yeah inb4 bind question which is NO THANK YOU.

I can has cape nao :(

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Honestly, I could really do with another ammo bind. I want to have both arrows and magic box bound, it would be way less frustrating on teams.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I have never seen a worst BTS or updates in my entire 9 years of playing this game - and I thought April was bad.

-Pointless capes

-Yet another way to train mining even though there's no 'reason' to train (ARTISANS ANYONE?)

-Hats that show ki.... wtf is this son of a [bleep]ing update? Who [bleep]ing thinks of something so [bleep]ing stupid?

-Upgrades week... wow. Holy mother of God man, now the fixes and patches are becommnig main updates

-Graphical improvements... these shouldn't be main updates anyway

And omg no, not a quest with 70 strength!

th_MotherofGod.jpg

IMO:

Capes - Meh ok, gives people something to look forward to. TBH I can't wait to see Smellysocks performing the Maxed emote at Dae :P

Mining - This

ARTISANS ANYONE?

Hats - This

Hats that show ki.... wtf is this son of a [bleep]ing update? Who [bleep]ing thinks of something so [bleep]ing stupid?

Upgrades week - Will probably be rolled into the graphical improvements.

Sagas - Sounds cool as I've been learning about Icelandic and Danish Sagas due to doing a Medieval History Degree.

^ Agreed.

TBH as I've said to Octarine, this is practically a 3rd 'No update' month really...IMO

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Hm, let's see...

Capes of Distinction - Be nice to see some of these capes. I hope I can claim the 5 yr one, but I honestly don't know if I can :/ I've played since 01, but Link Olaran wasn't my main back then, I didn't create him till a few years later... and I don't recall the date. The 'skills above X0 level' capes sound interesting as well, I hope they look decent - would give me more drive to get rc up to 80, since it's my only skill left in the 70s now.

Oh, and the Museum cape, and Grimy's comment - my bet's on something to do with Prof. Oddenstein's machine (from Ernest the Chicken, if you don't recall) >_> (not a real bet, btw, just a smartass comment)

Lava Flow Mine - It sounds interesting, at least. I'll probably give it a go, see how it is. At the very least, I want the mining xp outfit - I enjoyed getting lumberjack (and I still enjoy temple trekking), so I have some hope for this one.

Death Hats - Don't PVP in any way, so not interesting to me at all.

Upgrades Week - only one that's interesting I see is the filter for summon pouch creation to me.

Graphical Improvements - I still haven't seen Lumbridge Swamp, but I love the new ore rocks and the trees south of Falador, so anything similar to that is good in my books.

Fremmenik Sagas - Anything related to Dungeoneering and the Fremmenik tribe sounds interesting to me. I hope there's a reason to actually replay through them, though.

Doesn't sound half bad to me, but then again, I'm also not playing as much as I normally do right now :P

Link_Olaran.png

To all the guys saying May is even worse than April, have you forgotten how pointless the Wedding/Easter update was?

This month actually introduces a new training method for mining which, though it *may* be terrible (EMPHASIS ON MAY) will STILL provide XP boosting equipment. How can that be bad? Or are you guys never training Mining again?

Hats and Capes - Oh boy, a completely cosmetic addition to the game ! Totally unlike the Clan Camp Cape update we got in April !

Upgrades Week - Actually helpful content this month, which you can get without having to spend 33 hours on a farm repeating the same action OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ACCESS? NO FRICKIN' WAYYYYY!!!!!!!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Better than the recent months, in my opinion.

Capes: Not too bothered about, I like that you can change the colours of the maxed one though.

Lava Mine: 2.5% mining xp boost can't be bad.

Hats: Meh

Update week: Sounds good.

Graphics updates: Always love to see new graphics.

Sagas: Looking forward to this, sounds like it could be really good.

Kind of glad there isn't much playable content this month since I have exams I should be revising for until mid-May :P Disappointed we still don't have RotM though.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

2.5% boost for mining sounds good until you consider that it's a full body suit. Meaning you can't wear varrock armor. Meaning it's only useful for situations where varrock armor dosen't apply, unless somehow 2.5% is marginally better than Varrock armor, which I very much doubt.