Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Game of Thrones TV series - Season 4

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

Still plenty of time for them to fit those conversations into the story. They certainly didn't miss their opportunities. They're simple to do that the audience will largely understand, add to character depth, and are short and easily adapted to the screen. There are other subtle parts in the book that I can understand them omitting, like Tyrion's first encounter with Jon Snow and Snow's impressions of him as he leaves, but those things are no-brainers.

But Stannis already met Renly? And there was no peach? Unless they deviate a lot from the book, I doubt very much they'll meet again.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

Still plenty of time for them to fit those conversations into the story. They certainly didn't miss their opportunities. They're simple to do that the audience will largely understand, add to character depth, and are short and easily adapted to the screen. There are other subtle parts in the book that I can understand them omitting, like Tyrion's first encounter with Jon Snow and Snow's impressions of him as he leaves, but those things are no-brainers.

But Stannis already met Renly? And there was no peach? Unless they deviate a lot from the book, I doubt very much they'll meet again.

Stannis didn't give him his ultimatum, which is when the peach speech happens.

hzvjpwS.gif

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Stannis didn't give him his ultimatum, which is when the peach speech happens.

He did give his ultimatum. I reread it right now because I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly, but it's definitely the peach scene(without the peach)

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

He did give his ultimatum. I reread it right now because I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly, but it's definitely the peach scene(without the peach)

I must've missed it too. Bah. ;_; Stannis needed a few moments like that to give him some humanity.

hzvjpwS.gif

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
Hopefully they work it into the next episode.

Drazhor
[ Display Name History ]

Drazhor

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • RSN:Drazhor
Yeah, the ultimatum was given but there wasn't any speech to do with peaches :(
Posted Image
Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RSN:Gandorf61
So I originally got about 1/3 of the way through the first book last summer and just finally got the time to start watching the TV series now. I have been missing out on so much! xD

Finished the first season and got caught up on the second season so now I'm just going back and finishing the first book. I have the boxed set of the first 4 books on order so hopefully they will arrive soon as well, I need something to hold me over between episodes and I expect I'm missing out on a lot by having not read them yet.

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Latest episode was pretty great. No random HBO [bleep] either. Coincidence?
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Agreed, this episode was FAR superior to the last (few). And while I'm not one of those violently opposed to sex scenes(After all, the book was pretty graphic as well), the last few were mostly done without a lot of reason or purpose, so they really took up far too much screen time. You could easily have cut out the scene with Joffrey and all of the scenes of Littlefinger in the brothel. Speaking of Littlefinger, am I the only one who is disappointed with his screen adaption? While the actor does a good job, I feel like his script makes him a lot less subtle than he is in the books, down to the point where you can't really believe his role as this kind of master schemer....

WoodenFruit
[ Display Name History ]

WoodenFruit

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • RSN:Darkwitchery
  • Clan:Sc, World60pengs
A couple of weeks late with this comment but doesn't anyone else think that Natalie Dormer has great timing? "Do you want my brother to come in and help? He could get you started I know he wouldn't mind...or I could turn over and pretend that i'm him?" :thumbsup:

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png

indy500fan
[ Display Name History ]

indy500fan

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,216 posts

Agreed, this episode was FAR superior to the last (few). And while I'm not one of those violently opposed to sex scenes(After all, the book was pretty graphic as well), the last few were mostly done without a lot of reason or purpose, so they really took up far too much screen time. You could easily have cut out the scene with Joffrey and all of the scenes of Littlefinger in the brothel. Speaking of Littlefinger, am I the only one who is disappointed with his screen adaption? While the actor does a good job, I feel like his script makes him a lot less subtle than he is in the books, down to the point where you can't really believe his role as this kind of master schemer....

I disagree, I think the Joffrey scene was worth it. The show has showed him as a doucebag so far, but you don't hate him in the show at this point nearly as much as you do reading the books.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

I disagree, I think the Joffrey scene was worth it. The show has showed him as a doucebag so far, but you don't hate him in the show at this point nearly as much as you do reading the books.

Really? I think the Sansa scene right before it was more than potent enough for that. Sure, the other scene was more disturbing in a way, but what he did to Sansa showed well enough what he is capable of, imo. And tbh, it made me resent him a lot more than the bedroom scene, if only because I am far more attached to Sansa than to Ros or the other girl.

Faux
[ Display Name History ]

Faux

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,805 posts
i honestly don't understand how people are hating on the sex scenes. there was sex in the books. HBO can't afford to make scenes to keep dropping subtle hints so yes, they have to kind of be "in your face" with TV. different mediums are different.

last ep was great.enjoyed arya's scenes a lot.i like that plotline better than in the book. GRRM could be a good author if he didn't feel the need to stretch every scene just to meet his page quota.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts
Welcome to premium television I guess.. It's not like they just use sex to have sex, its part of the narrative.
Posted Image

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
I'm not "hating" on sex scenes. I dislike those sex scenes that are mostly useless to the show apart from showing off boobs, because they clog up screen time...and GOT has precious few of that for all that happens in the story already. Yes, the books had plenty of those, even some that might not have been "needed" - but a book can afford that. A series that has only 600 minutes to go through all the complicated story etc. can't really, not without losing some quality

"useful" sex scenes: Dany+Drogo(all of them I think), Cersei+Jaime, those with theon and also Ros+Pycelle

Useless: A big portion of those with littlefinger(One might have been needed to explain what's up between him and catelyn, but at the same time I feel like it also skewed this character portrait. The others were downright useless). The joffrey scene as well, him dealing with sansa would work just as well on it's own.

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
Joffrey's scene wasn't just to show that Joffrey is awful, it was also to show that there's no point in trying to 'fix' him, as it were. He was much more interested in sending a message to Tyrion, getting back at him the only way he could. Similarly it shows that Joffrey barely thinks of people as people, just objects. Which had been shown earlier, but I feel that this way was a lot more effective than not showing it (either at all or just showing the aftermath). It was the scene I've had the most trouble watching this season.

I just feel like the acting is a lot more stilted and forced when they mash exposition and sex together. Two I can think of off the top of my head are the ones with Viserys and Doreah, and the one with Littlefinger and the two [bleep]. I'm not objecting out of prudishness or anything, I just think they could have thought of more natural ways to explain some stuff. S2 has been a lot better with exposition in general though.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

Faux
[ Display Name History ]

Faux

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Welcome to premium television I guess.. It's not like they just use sex to have sex, its part of the narrative.

I think they just aren't used to watching these type of shows from HBO or Showtime. Dexter, the Wire, Sopranos, etc. are great shows with sex scenes.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

I think they just aren't used to watching these type of shows from HBO or Showtime. Dexter, the Wire, Sopranos, etc. are great shows with sex scenes.

It's not about sex scenes >.> It's about wasting screen time...the sex scenes are just the most prominent part of that

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

It's not about sex scenes >.> It's about wasting screen time...the sex scenes are just the most prominent part of that

Like the one with Littlefinger watching the two prostitutes. Yes, you expect there to be sex scenes, there were tons in the books, but when you introduce two characters for the sole purpose of having sex scenes (Including Ros) when you have 600 minutes to tell a story that was 8-900 pages, your priorities are probably a bit skewed.

Faux
[ Display Name History ]

Faux

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Like the one with Littlefinger watching the two prostitutes. Yes, you expect there to be sex scenes, there were tons in the books, but when you introduce two characters for the sole purpose of having sex scenes (Including Ros) when you have 600 minutes to tell a story that was 8-900 pages, your priorities are probably a bit skewed.

Again, you're looking at this from a reader's perspective

Sex scenes are cheaper than building sets for a lot of those short outdoor scenes in those 900 pages. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but they cut out battles and scenes with dragons and wolves because they cost a lot to make. Especially the CGI involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users