Marijuana Legalization

3PointMan

Don't forget that tobacco is slowly being pushed into illegal status. At least in the EU and UK, in the last 20 years or so, it has been taken off TV screens, public and indoor places and has a very large stigma attached to it. I could very realistically see it being banned totally within the next 50 years. One of the major forces stopping it is actually that tobacco companies bring money into the economy which needs to be looked at.

Also, many places use taxes from tobacco sales to fund their children's health insurance programs. Banning tobacco outright gives the government less tax revenue, corrupt bastards.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

1. Tobacco/alcohol being legal & harmful to one's health shouldn't mean that since weed is illegal and less harmful it should be legalized. That's comparable to murdering kittens being legal because "it's not as bad as abortion."

It's not comparable because you're not harming anyone but yourself, and even then just barely.

Edit: I went back to edit out a comma. Am I a grammar nazi?

PM me for fitocracy invite

You're not technically harming anyone but yourself with alcohol (unless you're drunk driving, and driving high can have similar consequences).

So why is marijuana still illegal? It doesn't make sense. It's not as bad as alcohol or tobacco, it has proven medical benefits for 200+ conditions (Alzheimers, HIV/AIDS, opiate dependence, Multiple Sclerosis, just to name a few), and making it legal would bring in revenue for the government (Yes, just a little, but it's better to have it than not) and would reduce prison overcrowding.

You're not technically harming anyone but yourself with alcohol (unless you're drunk driving, and driving high can have similar consequences).

So why is marijuana still illegal? It doesn't make sense. It's not as bad as alcohol or tobacco, it has proven medical benefits for 200+ conditions (Alzheimers, HIV/AIDS, opiate dependence, Multiple Sclerosis, just to name a few), and making it legal would bring in revenue for the government (Yes, just a little, but it's better to have it than not) and would reduce prison overcrowding.

Marijuana is still illegal because there's a cultural stigma against encouraging taking substances solely for their side effects.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Marijuana is still illegal because there's a cultural stigma against encouraging taking substances solely for their side effects.

mfw this is exactly what people are doing when drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes

http://myfacewhen.com/115/

mfw this is exactly what people are doing when drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes

http://myfacewhen.com/115/

Cigarettes have no side effects the same way marijuana does. And many, many people drink alcohol because they like the taste.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

So social stigma is the only good reason it's illegal.

Society, I am disappoint.

Me too, I'm disappointed that we even need laws.

♪♪ And I'm not done

So social stigma is the only good reason it's illegal.

Society, I am disappoint.

Me too, I'm disappointed that we even need laws.

Not sure if serious.

Do you ever make a post without a meme in it?

Yes.

Switched out stoner references for obesity references and all the things still apply. Changed things are in bold and the original is below. Tell me why obesity is a justified personal choice and narcotics shouldnt be?

I wasn't aware that you needed narcotics to survive.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Switched out stoner references for obesity references and all the things still apply. Changed things are in bold and the original is below. Tell me why obesity is a justified personal choice and narcotics shouldnt be?

I wasn't aware that you needed to be obese to survive.

That's not the point I'm making, but even then you're wrong.

Read it and weep:

http://www.healthnewstrack.com/health-news-2071.html

♪♪ And I'm not done

Read it and weep:

if you actually read the article you linked to it said

"The benefits were only seen in the overweight category not in those people who are obese."

its also only 1 study, so the results have to be taken tentitively

Read it and weep:

if you actually read the article you linked to it said

"The benefits were only seen in the overweight category not in those people who are obese."

its also only 1 study, so the results have to be taken tentitively

Yeah I read that, but the difference between the two can be less than a pound.

That still isn't the point I'm making, so I really could care less if the semantics are off a bit.

♪♪ And I'm not done

At the end of the day, tobacco and alcohol are legal because they've been integral parts of global society for centuries and, in the case of the latter, millennia. You can't really ban them, they're too intergrated.

Marijuana has not been, and I think the only reason it should be outlawed is because otherwise people will keep pushing the line back until real, dangerous drugs are legalised, e.g. heroin, LSD. Besides, legalising it hasn't done The Netherlands any favours.

Cannabis and Opiates have both been used for tens of thousands of years. Cannabis has even been used for medical purposes for thousands of years.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Read it and weep:

What was the point you were making then?

You miffed the analogy.

Obesity is a condition. Food is a substance.

High is a condition. Narcotics is a substance.

Comparing Obesity directly to Narcotics doesn't fit the analogy Ring made.

♪♪ And I'm not done

You miffed the analogy.

Obesity is a condition. Food is a substance.

High is a condition. Narcotics is a substance.

Comparing Obesity directly to Narcotics doesn't fit the analogy Ring made.

Let me put it to you this way. Obesity is harmful to society in the same ways narcotic use is. Obesity or over eating in general is a personal choice, beyond the necessary requirements of health of survival. Narcotic use in non medicinal use fits the same description.

Why is one a personal choice and the other something a government must regulate? Both are addictive, both will kill you, both can arguably negatively affect the society as a whole (work ethic, addiction, health costs, etc. as listed already).

Regulating narcotic use is like telling your average Joe the exact calorie intake they are allowed on a daily basis and if you understand this you understand why I personally I find "the war on drugs" to be a disgusting excuse to steal your personal freedoms.

Also the analogy applies. You arent against drugs your against "high" if your supporting the war on drugs. I think obesity the condition is just as bad as the condition as high therefor the government is hypocritical to regulate one and not the other.

This all seems very flimsy to me. Food and diet are not comparable to drugs in any way shape or form, and the idea of regulating narcotics in a calorie-esque way is hopelessly optimistic. Food isn't as addictive to many as you make it out to be - nor as dangerous - and drugs more dangerous and addictive than you'd like to believe.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau