Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marijuana Legalization

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Danqazmlp

The funniest part about "Legalize it, regulate it, tax the crap out of it" is how the argument ignores the fact that there is an entire black market of people already buying, selling, transporting, etc. They don't care about the law, why do you think they'd start caring once it is legal?

There's a black market BECAUSE of prohibition. Have you even heard of Al Capone?

Also, you're not a libertarian.

There is also a large black market in tobacco and Alcohol currently, even though it is legal. You cannot tell me they are there because of phoibi... never mind.

"dry" counties, age requirements. Crime over prohibited items shows that people are going to do what they want and punishing for them is a waste of resources for any society to spend on.

I can't honestly believe you just said that. Basically you say enforcing the law is a waste of money. Lets just get rid of the police altogether?

And as a matter of fact, a lot of the black market in alcohol and tobacco is actually due to people wanting to make money in organised crime. They aren't selling it to under-aged people or in countries where it is illegal, they are making it out of dangerous items, selling it cheap and counterfeit. The same would almost certainly happen were marijuana to become legal.

But again, I cannot take seriously a comment which in essence seems to state that law enforcement is pointless.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

angel_mage
[ Display Name History ]

angel_mage

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:nhmereht
To be honest, I really don't care. As long as it has restrictions such as drinking restrictions. No smoking in public, at work, in your car, or even around your children in this case. If people disagree with this then they might as well disagree with drinking alcohol.
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
Why would there be no smoking at work? I see employees smoking outside stores all the time (cigs obviously, but in this hypothetical case they're pretty much the same).

TANSTAAFL

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Why would there be no smoking at work? I see employees smoking outside stores all the time (cigs obviously, but in this hypothetical case they're pretty much the same).

It's the same reason you don't drink alcohol at work. Both impair your coordination and balance, delay your reaction time. Pot also hurts your short-term memory and distorts your perception.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RSN:Nomrombom

It's the same reason you don't drink alcohol at work. Both impair your coordination and balance, delay your reaction time. Pot also hurts your short-term memory and distorts your perception.

Sure, but it's not like you turn into a rock. You can function at a near normal level.

If you believe that cannabis should not be legal because of the danger, you also believe that alcohol and tobacco should be illegal. Is this correct?
PM me for fitocracy invite

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Exactly. In this case, it is much more closely related to drinking than smoking, due to it negatively effecting your actions. It can make you drowsy, effect coordination and generally reduce your ability to work at a competent standard which an employer wants.

Just as it would not be legal at work, it would also be illegal to drive while under the influence, operate any heavy machinery and use it under certain ages.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Sure, but it's not like you turn into a rock. You can function at a near normal level.

If you believe that cannabis should not be legal because of the danger, you also believe that alcohol and tobacco should be illegal. Is this correct?

Alcohol can be measured very specifically - in a bottle and in the blood, relatively easily.
Alcohol may affect one person's ability to function, but it doesn't affect people around you.

Tobacco (Nicotine) can't be measured very specifically (unless it is processed in a gum or patch), but smoking next to someone won't impair their judgement or affect them directly.

Marijuana can't be measured very specifically (THC can vary greatly from one plant to the next), it does impair people's judgement (like alcohol), and it affects people around them.

So no, its different.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Alcohol can be measured very specifically - in a bottle and in the blood, relatively easily.
Alcohol may affect one person's ability to function, but it doesn't affect people around you.

Tobacco (Nicotine) can't be measured very specifically (unless it is processed in a gum or patch), but smoking next to someone won't impair their judgement or affect them directly.

Marijuana can't be measured very specifically (THC can vary greatly from one plant to the next), it does impair people's judgement (like alcohol), and it affects people around them.

So no, its different.

You can get a pretty good idea of how high a person is based on how much they smoked. Of course it can vary, but smoking a few bowls of any type is going to get you pretty high.

How does it affect people around you? When you inhale the smoke, the THC absorbs into your lungs. When you exhale, there is ideally little to no THC in the smoke. Unless you intentionally try to inhale the secondhand smoke, you're not going to get high from someone else smoking.

Locke_Superbus
[ Display Name History ]

Locke_Superbus

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 189 posts

A better way to look at it: why would the cartels be content paying taxes? They could just do what they do already and even better, since now their sellers won't be arrested for possession.

they wont be paying taxes, as theyre criminal organisations (shocking I know). So they would then have 2 options:

Reduce their prices to below that of the legal stuff, which gives them less money to fund their activities and less incentive to produce the stuff in the first place.

change the quaility of their product. They then either have to either provide a better product than the legal produce greatly deminishing most of the danger of illict drugs which comes from the practice of 'cutting' them (the inconsistency this causes is the main cause of OD, not to mention the dangers of the cutting agents like drain cleaner etc) or theyre going to have to lower the quaility of their product and risk driving themselves out of business when their customers can get better and safer.

though it is true the dealers wont be arrested for possession, theyll be arrested for dealing illegally. Also threat of arrest is such an effective deterrent for people who knowingly break the law[/sarcasm]

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

deminishing most of the danger of illict drugs which comes from the practice of 'cutting' them (the inconsistency this causes is the main cause of OD, not to mention the dangers of the cutting agents like drain cleaner etc)

Since we're talking about marijuana, we can assume that it's not laced as lacing is counterproductive for everyone involved.

aeternitatis
[ Display Name History ]

aeternitatis

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:SeekReality
I try to be as unbiased as possible.

Marijuana does not "harm" others when smoked, but that does not rule out the question that it could harm society.
Most smokers & even non-smokers would agree that, for the most part, getting stoned will make you lazy. You'll probably sit around and enjoy some music while munching out.
If the general population were to smoke marijuana, most of that population would become lazy or at least lazier than they were before smoking weed.
This could in turn slow down the economy by decreasing productivity. That's the worst it would do. The positives outweigh the negatives.
If people would not be able to do their jobs properly while high they wouldn't get high before working, or they would and eventually become replaced by someone more responsible. I'm sure even if pot were legal and not frowned upon most people would still not be high at work.

The moral aspect of legalizing pot for personal use should not even be in question. As humans we should be allowed to take whatever drug we like as long as it doesn't harm other people. Does marijuana harm other people in any way direct enough to justify its illegality? No, therefore it should be legal for personal use. If legalized and properly taxed, billions of dollars of revenue would be made annually and (assuming our government spends the money accordingly) that money would benefit the people, whether it's put into health care, education or other things.

The question of legalizing marijuana has absolutely nothing to do with alcohol or tobacco. I agree with whoever said that just because marijuana is more healthy than alcohol and tobacco that does give it a legitimate reason to be legalized.

I advise the stoners to have more of an open mind. As much as you like weed and getting high, you can't simply think that 'everything' about it is good. There are negative effects, whether societal or not. You have to think beyond the physical effects of it and examine possible underlying problems it may cause. Upon analyzing these problems properly a decision can be made as to whether it should be legal or not.
Posted Image

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

The question of legalizing marijuana has absolutely nothing to do with alcohol or tobacco. I agree with whoever said that just because marijuana is more healthy than alcohol and tobacco that does give it a legitimate reason to be legalized.

Why not?

I advise the stoners to have more of an open mind. As much as you like weed and getting high, you can't simply think that 'everything' about it is good. There are negative effects, whether societal or not. You have to think beyond the physical effects of it and examine possible underlying problems it may cause. Upon analyzing these problems properly a decision can be made as to whether it should be legal or not.

I don't think anyone here is disregarding the negative effects. We're just saying that there aren't enough bad things about it to justify it being illegal.

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
At the end of the day, tobacco and alcohol are legal because they've been integral parts of global society for centuries and, in the case of the latter, millennia. You can't really ban them, they're too intergrated.

Marijuana has not been, and I think the only reason it should be outlawed is because otherwise people will keep pushing the line back until real, dangerous drugs are legalised, e.g. heroin, LSD. Besides, legalising it hasn't done The Netherlands any favours.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

aeternitatis
[ Display Name History ]

aeternitatis

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:SeekReality
1. Tobacco/alcohol being legal & harmful to one's health shouldn't mean that since weed is illegal and less harmful it should be legalized. That's comparable to murdering kittens being legal because "it's not as bad as abortion."

2. I was speaking more for the general population of stoners who argue that there is absolutely nothing wrong with weed.
Posted Image

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
Don't forget that tobacco is slowly being pushed into illegal status. At least in the EU and UK, in the last 20 years or so, it has been taken off TV screens, public and indoor places and has a very large stigma attached to it. I could very realistically see it being banned totally within the next 50 years. One of the major forces stopping it is actually that tobacco companies bring money into the economy which needs to be looked at.
Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Don't forget that tobacco is slowly being pushed into illegal status. At least in the EU and UK, in the last 20 years or so, it has been taken off TV screens, public and indoor places and has a very large stigma attached to it. I could very realistically see it being banned totally within the next 50 years. One of the major forces stopping it is actually that tobacco companies bring money into the economy which needs to be looked at.

Also, many places use taxes from tobacco sales to fund their children's health insurance programs. Banning tobacco outright gives the government less tax revenue, corrupt bastards.

♪♪ And I'm not done

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all to see tobacco banned (or at very least cigarettes) within the next 20-30 years.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

1. Tobacco/alcohol being legal & harmful to one's health shouldn't mean that since weed is illegal and less harmful it should be legalized. That's comparable to murdering kittens being legal because "it's not as bad as abortion."

It's not comparable because you're not harming anyone but yourself, and even then just barely.

Edit: I went back to edit out a comma. Am I a grammar nazi?

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
You're not technically harming anyone but yourself with alcohol (unless you're drunk driving, and driving high can have similar consequences).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

You're not technically harming anyone but yourself with alcohol (unless you're drunk driving, and driving high can have similar consequences).

So why is marijuana still illegal? It doesn't make sense. It's not as bad as alcohol or tobacco, it has proven medical benefits for 200+ conditions (Alzheimers, HIV/AIDS, opiate dependence, Multiple Sclerosis, just to name a few), and making it legal would bring in revenue for the government (Yes, just a little, but it's better to have it than not) and would reduce prison overcrowding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users