The Mark of Das

Retech

Questions  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

Only people who can use beartraps are rogues (or people with 1 rogue talent) and the Quick Trapsmith Talent:

Quick Trapsmith (Ex): As a full-round action, a rogue with this talent can set a simple trap with a CR no greater than 1/2 her rogue level. To do this, she must purchase the components, spend the required time constructing the trap in advance, and have its components at hand. The type of trap that can be constructed in this way is subject to GM discretion.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I'd just hold it and punch.

Aaaaaaaand while Wyvren may be right... I'm not optimizing for ANYTHING anyways. This is just too good to pass up.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

There is not really a huge amount of space for optimisation...We are supposed to play our Tavern personalities. Retech could simply insist that any character that is massive different, isn't allowed.

As for 'Oh yeah, everyone quickly get Cold Iron!' what could happen is that the zombie issue is replaced with the post apoc forum, becoming a Kingmaker campaign to rebuild Falador...or some such.

Though, in total honesty, most monsters respond to the 'Hit it, hit it hard' optimisation.

Can I use the book of Exalted deeds to better represent myself? I think I deserve the saint template...

On a more serious note, are you allowing magic/heroic classes or not? Because if it just us in real life then there's going to be one hell of a lot of commoners/experts/(possibly) warriors.

LNYvk.png

Nah, I'd just hold it and punch.

Aaaaaaaand while Wyvren may be right... I'm not optimizing for ANYTHING anyways. This is just too good to pass up.

I don't mind some optimization, as most of the characters are starting kinda gimped anyways with the point buy. I will do some research into using a bear trap as a weapon (and the other improv weapons) and get back to you on that.

While it is not all undead, you are correct in thinking that it is particularly undead-heavy.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

As for 'Oh yeah, everyone quickly get Cold Iron!' what could happen is that the zombie issue is replaced with the post apoc forum, becoming a Kingmaker campaign to rebuild Falador...or some such.

Could be a bit of both. It's not like the only thing dangerous about zombie apocalypses is the abundance of zombies. You've got other (armed, trained) survivors out there and a limit of supplies. Could even be building and defending a base amidst roving bands of looters and the occasional zombie horde.

Speculation, of course. No idea what Retech is planning.

Every time I see this, I think that Das the ex-Admin is involved.

I say the only thing that could've made Discovery Channel's The Colony better is zombies. Go with that, if all else fails.

Ooh it's so tempting to go with an Improvised Weapon Rogue, but no, Paladin is more fitting.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I'll admit that I am having a little trouble grasping the concept.

Why are we supposed to play a character which is like who we are in real life? Doesn't that sort of go directly against the point of role playing games? And what sort of setting/level of fantasy? From your original post, it sort of makes it seem like we are playing a modern rpg, but then you specify we are using D&D rules, and it sort of threw me off a bit. Are we going to be wizards throwing fire across the countryside, rogues stealthing and using poison and paladins smiting evil, or is it going to be a group of bald warriors in generic armour and swords?

Just making sure of a few things before I invest time into this.

2Xeo5.png

I'm pretty sure this is a license to create a character that is, in essence, our insane Tavern persona. Hence my character being a Battering-Ram wielding Paladin, to reflect good intentions and fair prowess coupled with complete impracticality and a tendency towards bluntness.

I may be reading into it too much.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

>Is not in the backstory

>Offended

Also it's difficult to roll me as a DND character, I don't think you can get 20 in every stat.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

what the piss do I have to do with zombies asides my ability slaughter them? ;)

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Why are we supposed to play a character which is like who we are in real life?

what the piss do I have to do with zombies asides my ability slaughter them?

In many ways the same question...In some not.

In any event they have the same answer.

The game is set within 'The Tavern'.

Ross, you are supposed to roleplay the version of yourself you project...I don't know if you see yourself as a bald headed adventurer wielding a sword, or as a knight in shining armour, rushing to save everyone from calamity...but whatever you see youself as, that is the character you should play.

So Alter-Ego, the essence of Roleplaying.

For example, my character is, almost certainly, a Wizard or a Rogue...I rarely rush into things and I can be devestating when I am fully prepared.

Now Wizard is a massive NO for me because they seem terribly complicated...so it will probably be some sort of multiclass which has homebrewed some spells.

Rogues seem like a better choice, but my trapsmithing rogue for Pathfinder clearly doesn't fit the role I play in the Tavern.

As such I will create some sort of a character, at some sort of a time, which reflects me as a Tavernite....Probably a spy:

The best spies are like chameleons, but not only can they change their appearances to fit the situation, they can also change their personalities, allegiances, and even loves if thats what it takes to achieve their clandestine goals. Spies are the ultimate manipulators, and even those who commission their services sometimes find that theyve merely served the spies own interests.

Not totally accurate, but best fitting.

Das:

It is, more or less, a naming thing.

After a long debate with Retech, him wanting 'Zombies!' (Or something, I forget), and me wanting 'BOARD NECROMANCERS: REVENGE OF FALADOR LIBRARY', we eventually settled on the Mark Of Das. Why?

Mark of Tripsis doesn't sound right.

Mark of Stevepole sounds worse still.

Mark of [random name] sounds is random.

Mark of Ross sets up Ross as more powerful than he is.

Mark of Nexurado...same thing and sounds worse.

No other Mod/Admin/whatever has any significant/passing but memorable (to myself and Retech) sort of connection to the Tavern.

Why choose a mod?

Well, because the game is set in 'The Tavern'. Admin/Mods/Whatever are the the rulers, ergo if we decided to add something in later then its a safe bet that the Admin team + Stevepole will play the NPCs, for good or bad. =P

I'm pretty sure this is a license to create a character that is, in essence, our insane Tavern persona.

I would hazard a guess that we would allow something outside the rules, as long as it was taken for roleplaying purposes and not gross optimisation.

Not sure, wait on Retech to confirm.

I, for one, think that Das would make an excellent BBEG for such an occasion.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

I'll admit that I am having a little trouble grasping the concept.

Why are we supposed to play a character which is like who we are in real life? Doesn't that sort of go directly against the point of role playing games? And what sort of setting/level of fantasy? From your original post, it sort of makes it seem like we are playing a modern rpg, but then you specify we are using D&D rules, and it sort of threw me off a bit. Are we going to be wizards throwing fire across the countryside, rogues stealthing and using poison and paladins smiting evil, or is it going to be a group of bald warriors in generic armour and swords?

Just making sure of a few things before I invest time into this.

The time period is high fantasy, but in a world that isn't necessarily as rosy as one might envision it. The thing is that, instead of being ready-built adventurers with 16s in every stat, the characters are like regular people, and have flaws and weaknesses, as well as strengths. Adventurers will probably not be able to win every fight, so they might take the chance of a strategic retreat or a diversion. The real-life thing is optional (remember that I won't know either way), but I thought it would help people make smarter decisions and care about their characters more. And it's wizards and rogues and paladins. :P

In the end, you can play anything that you enjoy playing, as the focus is more of a group of ragtag people trying to survive the "zombie apocalypse" than playing your real life character. If you choose to play a real-life character, then you can go into as much or as little detail as you want, or changing things about the character.

It's more of a fun and interesting that you can do, but it is not required. I just thought it might be something that people might be interested in doing, which would create a different campaign dynamic than "I'm a hero, so I can kill anything."

tl;dr

Starting out more as a regular person than a hero, in a dystopian fantasy setting. Level one (so just starting out) of a "heroic (PC) class"

-----

You can choose any class from the approved sources. It's not strictly "you in real life", but what you might have become if you lived in a fantasy setting. Most humanoid races are also okay, except for the Dhampir. It is more about personality than actual skill. I'm assuming that everyone here is a human, but if an elf fits more with your mentality, than you can go with an elf.

And Mask is correct that other threats will be just as dangerous as the undead threat. A big thing is about smart tactics, because the ten point buy makes each of you weaker than a standard level one character, while still facing the same level monsters. And while healing and resurrection might be common-place at the beginning of the game, unless the party is extremely successful, things usually get worse before they get better.

Also, I don't like railroading, so I'll be dropping plot hooks and seeing what the party decides. There is never a situation where you have to do something, but often it makes the situation better or combat easier.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

... Actually, I may go as a monk. Human, most likely, and totally freaking nuts. Thats sound slike me, honestly.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I'm sure there's some sort of monk with the rage ability. :P

Pft.... Hehehehehe... You're Crazy, Arch. Also, Techy, I'd prefer going as a Zen Archer, seeing as I do know how to use a Bow and arrows, and own them.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Retech, if you have a problem with the way I play Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons, Tell me about it in a PM as Sniping me on every page of your own game is somewhat immature from my point of view, as it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Also, in Pathfinder only Barbarians get the Rage ability except through the use of magic or special abilities.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Retech, if you have a problem with the way I play Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons, Tell me about it in a PM as Sniping me on every page of your own game is somewhat immature from my point of view, as it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Also, in Pathfinder only Barbarians get the Rage ability except through the use of magic or special abilities.

I don't think I've made any mention to you anywhere?

Edit: Except for the flavor text on the opening post

I am just confused because I don't understand where the sniping is occuring. If you could point out the things that you felt were snipes, then we can continue the discussion in PM, but if things did seem like sniping to you, I'm sorry, but it was not intentional or something that I had in mind when I was typing it.

Well, you more or less were directly referencing my Kingmaker character with: "The thing is that, instead of being ready-built adventurers with 16s in every stat, the characters are like regular people, and have flaws and weaknesses, as well as strengths" As having 16 in more than half of all Stats is not exactly all that common, which is something that my Kingmaker character has

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Oh, I was referencing the heroic array, which went something like 18,18,16,12,10,8 or something. And I was on the GiTP forums talking about applying stats to real life, where they were saying that 16-18 is already around the human limit, and that it was highly unrealistic to have normal people with anything more than a 5 point buy.

I'm sorry if that seemed like a direct attack, but it was more of contrasting this campaign with a higher point-buy campaign than about specific characters. I think my character had three or four -over 16- stats too. Yeah, strength, dexterity, and wisdom.

IMPORTANT NOTE

At the beginning, you may choose not to ever take one of these four classes for your current character (Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard, Oracle, Summoner, Witch, Artificer, Priest, any other powerful full spellcasting class that I missed) and start with 15 point buy.

These classes are already more powerful as it is, and it turns out that low pointbuy gimps these classes less than the martial (melee/range fighting) classes, so I will be giving the other classes a few extra attribute points.

IMPORTANT

well i'm honored.

Otherwise i still maintain an eagle scout with marksman ability would fare well.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln