Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tips and Tricks of Runescape.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie

Protip: Learn how to use mousekeys and use swiftkit.

What's the advantage of Swiftkit over browser + wikia + Mibbit?

Swiftkit has a massive amount of tools built into it which generally makes playing much easier. I prefer to run one thing then have 6 things running.

PM me in game anytime

Jimmyw3000
[ Display Name History ]

Jimmyw3000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Swiftkit has a massive amount of tools built into it which generally makes playing much easier. I prefer to run one thing then have 6 things running.

so swiftkit + browser for looking at other stuff as opposed to browser + browser ?

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RSN:wkw
It takes you just as long to run 1 space as it does to run three spaces.
Drinking potions does not interrupt combat.
You can eat a piece of food and drink a potion at the same time, while only missing 1 turn of combat.
The cake is a lie

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

DyingSilent
[ Display Name History ]

DyingSilent

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • RSN:Sunstriker
Mibbit slows down your internet quite a bit, (at least for me it did).

On topic: Always keep a Rune Warhammer, Blue D'Hide Chaps, and an Elemental Shield in your bank. 3 most common TT items, for me :^_^:

Also, TRAIN SLAYER WITH YOUR COMBAT SKILLS.
I'm maxed combat, with 88 slayer, it's depressing, seeing as the only levels I'll get are slayer :(
2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist
Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

I kind of disagree because if you find an IRC channel with RuneScript in it, it can do most, if not all, of the same major functions, like stat lookup, item descripts, clue help, etc. I personally view Swiftkit as a resource hog, despite its progress from its old, clunkier SwiftSwitch versions. The references it has to guides are nice but I get the same effect by opening up another window or tab, with less drain.

Though I'll admit this is mainly an issue on older computers, like the ones I have (unfortunately). The better your computer is, the more swiftkit will start to grow in appeal, I suppose. But I'm a stick in the mud and find it hard to switch from chrome/ff4.0 & mIRC.

hzvjpwS.gif

WoodenFruit
[ Display Name History ]

WoodenFruit

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • RSN:Darkwitchery
  • Clan:Sc, World60pengs
Know your yellow dots.

-nods wisely-

The triforce of no-life has spoken.

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png

Bazzaminxer
[ Display Name History ]

Bazzaminxer

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • RSN:Bazzaminxer
Buy a second monitor if you dont already own one.

Educate yourself as you play. You be uber smart and uber high stats by the end. This games takes waaay to long so you may aswell do something practical as you do it. Dont just watch films. =p

Alternate method is to use a laptop but thats more annoying. Useful if you need a third monitor or not got the desk space though.
VMeh BlogV >Miscellaneous Goals<
Posted Image

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Don't listen to the efficiency police. The most efficient way is normally a very boring way.

dat subjectivity

My tip.

Screw prices, buy an item because you're going to use it, then ignore any price changes that occur.

(flipping and such is fine, I'm more talking about people who go buy a fury....then when they catch wind of the smallest price drop.."OMFGZORS, I'm loosing monneieszz, SELSELLSELLS!!@!!!@)

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RSN:Trollgazer
Can't be efficient if you want to have fun, fun and efficiency don't go together!

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Can't be efficient if you want to have fun, fun and efficiency don't go together!

They can go together if you enjoy that sort of thing, but for most people I've met, max efficiency =/= fun.

My tip would be; Be nice to people. It makes the game far more pleasant if you're nice to people because for the most part, if you're nice people will at least be civil back to you. And when you're spending thousands of hours online, the last thing you need is a hostile environment.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RSN:Nomrombom

Are you high? Some people enjoy efficiency. Let them have their happiness.

1. Run everywhere unless you need to be careful (Ape Atoll Dungeon)
2. Have a high agility level or else rule one will be super annoying
3. Join a random fairly well known players friend chat and stay there. Talking to people you know makes RS SO much more enjoyable.
4. Organize your bank well (I suggest a general tab *money and odds and ends* a magic tab, a fishing/food tab, a melee/slayer tab, a craft/mining/cons tab, a range tab, a herby/farm tab, a hunter/outfits tab *skillcapes, ardy cape, explorers ring go here*, and a summoning/temporary storage tab *drops from monsters that don't fit elsewhere like clues*)
5. DO MTK. It is consistent, easy money. Do both quests.
6. Have a high magic level. Teleports are super useful.
7. Have a decent construction level (55+). Mount a glory, make an altar, armor stand (repair barrows), have a portal room (I suggest kharyrll as a teleport so you can use house tele as a tele to canifis) and your house is a hub.
8. Ctrl - Alt - Delete > Task Manager > Set priority for java[Caution: Executable File] and *insert browser name here*[Caution: Executable File] to high.
9. Get a good computer. You play Runescape, you therefore spend a good amount of time on the computer, plus you probably use one for work/homework anyway. It is a worthwhile investment.
10. Get a decent internet connection. You can afford to play Runescape, a *decent* ISP isn't too much to ask.
11. Get a good mouse.
12. Home teleport now has no cooldown - free teleport near a bank, an altar, Al Kharid, and fairy rings (via Zanaris shed).
13. GET FAIRY RINGS. They save ENORMOUS amounts of time over... time. Free teleport straight to Miscellenia, Slayer Cave, Feldip Hills, Nardah, Canifis, etc.? Yes please.
PM me for fitocracy invite

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

He was being sarcastic.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

UltraMantis
[ Display Name History ]

UltraMantis

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • RSN:UltraMantis
  • Clan:Video Games

12. Home teleport now has no cooldown - free teleport near a bank, an altar, Al Kharid, and fairy rings (via Zanaris shed).

Wait, what?
Posted Image303/324

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab
Get a house in yanille with two portal rooms to everywhere but yanille, a glory, an altar and preferably a summon obelisk. This really cuts down dependency on spellbook-teleports. Love story tabs really help.

I don't honestly remember the last time I cast a standard magic teleport spell. I pretty much use tabs, more tabs, catherby, spellswap/lassar tele (closest tele to replace canon after frosts)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers

Know your yellow dots.

-nods wisely-

The triforce of no-life has spoken.

I could not agree more. Knowing the NPCs of the game is great. I know, since I don't know them. Everytime I get told, by a clue, another player or even a NPC itself, to "Go visit X at Y-Location" I get completely lost. And have to check it up here on Tip.it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

steviej
[ Display Name History ]

steviej

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • RSN:Steviej

Combat familiars are severely underrated.
Why bother with a fair fight when you can have a successful fight.
Time is money
Do whatever you can to avoid w117 dungeoneering.

Oh and everyone is out to get you.

The problem with avoiding w117 dungeoneering is that some people didn't start the skill when it came out, and if you are under level 70, it takes forever and a day to get to the point where people respect you and let you join their dungeoneering groups/clans/whatever...

Don't listen to the efficiency police. The most efficient way is normally a very boring way.

Don't listen to the anti-efficiency police. The better-because-they're-not-efficient methods are usually just as boring, but take twice as long, thus making them twice as boring.

BTW, I think TIF would really benefit from splitting Help & Advice into Questions and Tips like RSC has.

A lot of times there are half-efficient ways to do things that are more fun than both the non-efficient methods (like some minigames) and efficient methods (like arguing over whether CR or CLS is better, because wasting your time arguing over two great weapons is a great use of your life...)

I like the term "efficiency police" because it kinda makes them sound like as much of a joke as "vegan police" in Scott Pilgrim... :thumbsup:

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@
Home Teleport is no where near a Fairy Ring. You'd be much better served running to the closest bank (Edgeville, Lumbridge, or Lunar isle depending on your spellbook), withdrawing a Glory/Slayer Ring/Ectophial, and running there.

Dr_Dismay
[ Display Name History ]

Dr_Dismay

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 40 posts

1. Run everywhere unless you need to be careful (Ape Atoll Dungeon)
2. Have a high agility level or else rule one will be super annoying
3. Join a random fairly well known players friend chat and stay there. Talking to people you know makes RS SO much more enjoyable.
4. Organize your bank well (I suggest a general tab *money and odds and ends* a magic tab, a fishing/food tab, a melee/slayer tab, a craft/mining/cons tab, a range tab, a herby/farm tab, a hunter/outfits tab *skillcapes, ardy cape, explorers ring go here*, and a summoning/temporary storage tab *drops from monsters that don't fit elsewhere like clues*)
5. DO MTK. It is consistent, easy money. Do both quests.
6. Have a high magic level. Teleports are super useful.
7. Have a decent construction level (55+). Mount a glory, make an altar, armor stand (repair barrows), have a portal room (I suggest kharyrll as a teleport so you can use house tele as a tele to canifis) and your house is a hub.
8. Ctrl - Alt - Delete > Task Manager > Set priority for java[Caution: Executable File] and *insert browser name here*[Caution: Executable File] to high.
9. Get a good computer. You play Runescape, you therefore spend a good amount of time on the computer, plus you probably use one for work/homework anyway. It is a worthwhile investment.
10. Get a decent internet connection. You can afford to play Runescape, a *decent* ISP isn't too much to ask.
11. Get a good mouse.
13. GET FAIRY RINGS. They save ENORMOUS amounts of time over... time. Free teleport straight to Miscellenia, Slayer Cave, Feldip Hills, Nardah, Canifis, etc.? Yes please.

Great list. Thanks.

chrisman638
[ Display Name History ]

chrisman638

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • RSN:Chrisman638
Brew down your stats while slaying in order to make it more "fun".

I rebrew every 5 minutes to always do the lowest damage possible.
Posted Image

miracleman58
[ Display Name History ]

miracleman58

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  • RSN:The Diamond

Brew down your stats while slaying in order to make it more "fun".

I rebrew every 5 minutes to always do the lowest damage possible.

Ignore this ^

My tip: Train slayer from the get go and make sure you have done a real decent amount of quests. ALWAYS DO QUESTS.

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users