The Controversial Thread

Assume Nothing

Based on my perspective. viewer's who love flaming discretion is advised.

Meat eating ought to be banned. Cutting the meat industry would mean cutting billions of potential dollars in the State's budget. No.

Animal testing should be banned. Actually, testing on animals brings benefits to our existence. It would make sense to merit something less important

like a mice for instance (which shares identical traits with the human DNA) instead of an actual guinea pig to use on those very important experiments we need. :rolleyes:

Not all people should have the same rights. You're right about this one. Someone who's faced with litters of criminal records and misdemeanors should

be given limited rights like access to weapons than someone let's say...who shoots guns for a living.

Killing in self defense is still manslaughter. No. Killing someone in response to being killed should not merit a criminal record. Part of our natural rights

is our right to life. Isn't it?

Assisted suicide shouldn't be discouraged. If the assistant was given consent, I don't see why not. I support the "right to die" just as the right to live.

Not saving someone's life should be a criminal offense. No. Saving someone's life is normally life threatening itself. Unless of course, the given situation was something

like failing to use brakes from running over a kid who tripped out of the sidewalk.

Healthcare should be charged based on lifestyles. Agreed. Our choices can go very far into how much we need healthcare. Someone who exploits

alcohol and substances should not have more access to healthcare than someone who chronically suffers an illness by inheritance instead of fault.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abortion is morally wrong. Agreed.

George Bush and Tony Blair ought to be trialled for war crimes. No, you don't have all the details of why those wars occurred.

Meat eating ought to be banned. I don't care about animals.

Humans are animals

Anonymity on the internet should cease to exist. Why? Anonymity exists in the real world, why not in the cyber world?

Where in the real world does anonymity exist other than somewhat over a phone?

Animal testing should be banned. I don't care about animals.

Not all people should have the same rights. Not all people have the same rights now.

The question is *should* they.

Killing in self defense is still manslaughter. This means that if the only way to prevent someone from killing you is by killing them, you are as much a criminal as they are. Flawed.

Assisted suicide shouldn't be discouraged. Suicide is bad, [cabbage] gets better. Assisted suicide should be made illegal.

It is illegal almost everywhere. But if someone is going to do it anyway, isn't it better to make sure they don't affect other people or do it wrong and cost taxpayers as a vegetable?

Not saving someone's life should be a criminal offense. There are people in this world I don't care about, I shouldn't be punished for that.

You'd be morally okay with letting these people die and not even trying to help? (Assuming said people aren't like terrorists or criminals or something)

Healthcare should be charged based on lifestyles Makes sense.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I think people are looking at the life saving one from the wrong angle. It's not about saving someone drowning in a frozen river, or jumping in and helping someone in a fight, or anything like that. If you see someone choking, should it be illegal to not try to assist? If you see someone having a fatal allergic reaction, should it be illegal to not try to assist? Or if someone is working on their roof and falls off, should it be illegal not to try to help them?

I'd like to point out that in some places it is against the law to not help, and you'd need some Good Samaritan law to protect the one assisting.

My two cents on two other ones

1. Anonymity on the internet:

I don't want potential employers or family or friends to be able to google my name and see everything I post, the Internet is all about anonymity.

2. Meat

No, it's the circle of life. Humans are omnivores, we like meat. Now if you're talking about treatment of animals, that's definitely something that can be improved on.

I don't know how to read weird quote edits like Rocco posted, so I have no idea who posted this:

No, assisted suicide encourages suicide as an acceptable form of escape from problems. It is completely unacceptable. We should be discouraging suicide, not making it easier.

That's pretty bold of you to say. There are illnesses where people suffer a great deal of pain, have to sell their houses and possessions to pay for treatment (that will still end with them dying and possibly their family being left behind in debt), and who it WON'T get better for. For them, suicide is the quicker and more painless route to the inevitable conclusion. Some people go through pain that you will never experience, and it will NEVER get better for them, only end the same way assisted suicide would. Except longer, more drawn out, more expensive, and more painful. If they do kill themselves, what does it matter to you?

I suggest reading this, it was posted by a guy who decided to commit assisted suicide after suffering from a condition that he wouldn't beat.

I THINK at the end after reading all the comments, he decided not to do it, but really it's a mystery. Also, some Gawker writer Andrew Chen tried claiming that he was lucidending, turned out he wasn't. However, no one knows WHO it really was or how it really ended or if it was legit. So just take it on faith and enjoy the ride or read it as you know, something that people have actually been through before.

On Tuesday I'll finally end my battle with cancer thanks to Oregon's Death with dignity act. As part of my preparations I've ended my pain medication and am trying to regain what little dignity and clarity I can.

Who I was doesn't matter. I'm in pain, I'm tired and I'm finally being granted a small shred of respect. Feel free to AMA if you're so inclined.

Why do they oppose peoples right to not suffer? It takes numerous doctors to get here ensuring no one uses this option recklessly. My care is a huge burden to my loved ones, and it's not fair to position your suspicions over their realities.

That's an extreme case - this is why I hate answering big issues with a yes or no. Obviously someone in such a spot should be helped by assisted suicide. My fear is that this will lead to an increased prevalence of suicide among people whose problems can be overcome. More suicides = more emotional tragedy, and that's bad for everybody.

Also, it seems like everyone on TIF is a redditor now o_O

What does "redditor" mean? That story was like the only time in 6 months I actually visited it, and I find it pretty...ugly? Don't like the format.

Yeah, people should be helped in different situations, but ultimately it's their choice. I mean I'd rather someone I know didn't, but it's not my choice.

OP, to avoid stuff like this I'd suggest making the questions/statements more neutral.

eg:

Just tell people to post their opinion on:

abortion

GW Bush and the "war"

meat eating

anonymity on the internet

animal testing

equal rights for everyone

self defense laws

assisted suicide

Uhhh, good samaritan laws maybe?

Setting health care costs depending on your lifestyle

I think the non-neutral questions kind of pigeon hole the conversations in certain directions

Whoops, meant to change something in my last post.

Yeah, people should be helped in different situations, but ultimately it's their choice. I mean I'd rather someone I know didn't, but it's not my choice.

what I wanted to post was that assisted suicide kind of implies that it's for medical reasons. Although I don't necessarily see anything wrong with someone ending their life in general, in the context of the topic I think it's for doctor assisted suicide, not like, "I hate life and am going to kill myself" suicide.

Abortion is morally wrong.

No.

George Bush and Tony Blair ought to be trialled for war crimes.

I don't know.

Meat eating ought to be banned.

Honestly I think it would make the world a better place all-around, but no.

Anonymity on the internet should cease to exist.

No.

Animal testing should be banned.

Yes, except for like mice or something.

Not all people should have the same rights.

Based on their actions, not by their religion/race.

Killing in self defense is still manslaughter.

No.

Assisted suicide shouldn't be discouraged.

Sure.

Not saving someone's life should be a criminal offense.

Eh, no.

Healthcare should be charged based on lifestyles (more applicable to the UK, as the National Health Service pays for pretty much all noncosmetic treatment)

I don't really understand this.

Also, lmao @ 'decline in debate threads.' That's complete [cabbage].

I disagree. It's the mother's choice if she wishes to abort a fetus inside of her. People should have control over what they want and do not want in their bodies.

I disagree with this also. Remember Prohibition in the 20s? Hardly anybody followed the law because people drank alcohol for such a long time (centuries). If we ban meat, I'd bet money that the same thing would happen.

For health purposes and benefit of humans, I think it should be allowed. For cosmetic purposes, no.

I disagree. If someone is threatening the life of somebody, then they should be able to kill the other person in self-defense without facing charges. It's hard enough dealing with the post-dramatic stress, and facing charges would be simply silly in my eyes.

It depends.

If someone is drowning in a freezing river, you couldn't really save them because you'd probably freeze and get hypothermia as well. However, if someone is hanging off the edge of a building, crying for help, and you don't help them, that should be a criminal offense.

Now this right here is a problem. People who are born in poor, underprivileged areas and lives are probably going to be those people that get declined some rights based on their actions. If something like this were a reality, everyone would need to have equal opportunities and upbringings. Not really possible in a capitalist economy.

Now this right here is a problem. People who are born in poor, underprivileged areas and lives are probably going to be those people that get declined some rights based on their actions. If something like this were a reality, everyone would need to have equal opportunities and upbringings. Not really possible in a capitalist economy.

That's true, didn't consider that.

Abortion is morally wrong. No, why would it be? It should be up to the woman if she wants the child, or even if she wants to give birth to the child. And on that note, why shouldn't she be able to give up the child she was going to abort anyway to science so it will do some good? Abortion is a highly emotional issue, women arn't just going to say "Get me pregnant so I can get some quick cash."

No opinion

No, I love my meat, just because someone doesn't agree with something doesn't mean everyone should have to follow their rules.

The internet is a good place for people to express themselves, when they feel like they can't do so in real life, stopping anonymity on the internet will stop that. Anonymity is a good thing, you're more yourself when nobody's watching, even if being more yourself means being a complete [wagon].

Then medications would have to be tested on humans, even when they might be dangerous. But we wouldn't know that because we couldn't test them on other things.

If they've proven they can't be trusted to have the same rights as others. If you have serial arsonist that just got out of jail after being convicted of the crime, why would you give him a match?

It's a natural feeling to try to save yourself, laws to prevent us from doing something we naturally do are stupid.

I'm all for if someone is in pain that they should have the right to end it. I'd rather someone just kill me than I live as a vegetable, not being able to move or do anything on my own, that's not living and it'd be the worst type of torture.

I should be charged the same as a guy with a shotgun shooting some guy because I didn't rush at the guy with the shotgun with my bare hands?

Healthcare should be charged based on lifestyles

Yes but not on all pre-existing conditions. If someone had lung cancer because they smoked for 15 years, and still do, then they should have to pay more based on how much they're putting their own health at risk. But I didn't do anything to give myself cancer, I was born with it, why do I have to pay for something beyond my control?

I should be charged the same as a guy with a shotgun shooting some guy because I didn't rush at the guy with the shotgun with my bare hands?

Jesus people, come on :wall:

So many posts to read :(

Some of these don't warrant multiple-word answers in my opinion, but I'll try to explain my stance somewhat and will elaborate upon request.

Here's mine:

Abortion as a birth control is morally wrong and should be illegal.

No. I could go into this but from the posts I read this doesn't seem to be very controversial.

Stop vegetable cruelty, convert to meatatarianism.

I'd like people to be forced to be accountable for their actions on the internet but no.

No. If we don't test on animals then dangerous products will enter the market meaning it will be people going blind rather than rabbits.

Agree. Felons should not own guns. Students in a classroom should not have the same rights as students at home who should not have the same rights as students at the mall. Most rights are circumstantial.

No. I don't think this is even that controversial. If you are in imminent danger or it can be reasonably assumed you may be in danger (by which I mean the castle doctrine) I have no problem killing in self defense.

In a perfect world assisted suicide should be up to the patient. However, permitting it would open up a pandora's box of circumstances that would be up to the courts to decide. (ie Doctor encourages patient to accept assisted suicide because they won't recover. Is the doctor liable?)

Much like the above, I would love to say yes but any law that reasonably addressed the various situations would be effectively insignificant in practice.

Yes. Getting good grades, not receiving tickets, and not getting in accidents all help lower your car insurance rate I don't see why health insurance should be any different. I do agree with the clause in the Affordable Care Act that prohibits health insurance companies from denying insurance to children with pre-existing conditions, they should (unfortunately) have to pay more, though.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

?

Sure, honour and all that, and if it is feasible to save the person (which I suppose in many cases it is) but self preservation tops preservation of others everytime. I could understand if it was a loved one, or something along those lines.

lampost_sig_stark.png

?

OP OBVIOUSLY didn't mean jumping into a freezing river or trying to take a gun from someone.

Bush yes. It doesn't matter that he was sitting in the big fancey chair. He authorized the use of torture!

If someones life is so messed up that they are considering suicide (ie. stuck in a hospital bed on a resperator for the rest or their life or other similare things) then they will probably try to kill themselves if they have help doing it or not. The least you could do for them is make sure they go painlessly and maby get them to donate their organs and help someone els out.

Being a lifeguard i'm fine with how the law here is in Canada. The way it works here is if you start cpr you can't stop until parametics arive or another person trained in cpr takes over for you. But you still have an option to not help someone if you forget your mask and gloves and you are concerned if the other person has HIV or other seriouse diseases.

Quebec actually does have a law similare to what you are saying. If you are trained in cpr and see someone in danger then you are legally obliged to help them. Which i know myself and alot of other people are against because it means putting your own life in danger and having two victims instead of one.

I heard about that law a few years ago though so i'm not sure if quebec has changed it yet.

Only ones I have much of an opinion on.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Bush yes. It doesn't matter that he was sitting in the big fancey chair. He authorized the use of torture!

Prove it

This depends on the situation, but it usually isn't. It's not a decision that is taken lightly, and generally, it will only be done if it's in the benefit for the mother or the family in general.

I agree.

No. Meat is delicious. :)

Disagree, people have the right to not be spied on unless they've committed a crime.

I don't really care about this one. We kill animals for food, so testing things on them shouldn't be banned either.

No. Everyone is equal for the law, without exceptions.

It depends on the situation. The victim shouldn't be punished if he or she had no choice. Otherwise, it's manslaughter.

People have the right to kill themselves. If they want to do that, so be it.

That depends on the situation. If you're capable of saving someone's life without endangering yourself or others, you should do so. But I'm not sure if it should be mandatory.

I don't think people should be charged for healthcare to begin with. Everyone should have access to healthcare regardless of economic background, lifestyle, and so on. Instead, there should be additional taxes on things that damage your health, like smoking, fast food etc

I don't really care about this one. We kill animals for food, so testing things on them shouldn't be banned either.

I don't think people should be charged for healthcare to begin with. Everyone should have access to healthcare regardless of economic background, lifestyle, and so on. Instead, there should be additional taxes on things that damage your health, like smoking, fast food etc

For animal testing, the difference between testing and killing for food is that when killing for food, the kill is quick and clean (at least in theory).

As for health care, heh, sucks to live in places that don't have universal health care

So much for controversy everyone who has posted here has pretty much agreed on 90% of the questions.

However I agree with Sees All these threads that have to do with your values turn to flamefests, because people arent going to change their values over a forum site no matter how compelling an argument for or against a said value.

Values are where you derive your political opinions from and your opinions on the said issues.

etc, on all these answers it really comes down to how high do you value personal freedom compared to the said issues here any controversy stems from people not understanding why one values one value higher then another

Unfortunately, I doubt that most OT members are mature enough to handle that kind of thing. Not that I don't think it would be interesting, but the last thing we need is for one political/philisophical clique flaming the hell out of people's values because they're different... Which has happened and probably will happen in the future.

If we were all super-mature philosophers, I'd love to see us debate our values, but most of us are mid-late teens/early twenties and pretending to be super-mature philosophers.

However it would be pretty cool to see debates over why someone may value life over individual freedom [in the case of abortion] or animal rights vs individual freedom [in testing on animals/eating meat arguments].

But I personally value individual freedom highest out of anything which is why I answer questions the way I do. Im curious what everyone else values and how it drives them to answer questions in a way that they agree with.

Society as a whole generally values life over individual freedom, that's why murder is illegal. If you truly "value individual freedom highest of anything" then there's no way you can say murder should still be illegal.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

However it would be pretty cool to see debates over why someone may value life over individual freedom [in the case of abortion] or animal rights vs individual freedom [in testing on animals/eating meat arguments].

But I personally value individual freedom highest out of anything which is why I answer questions the way I do. Im curious what everyone else values and how it drives them to answer questions in a way that they agree with.

Society as a whole generally values life over individual freedom, that's why murder is illegal. If you truly "value individual freedom highest of anything" then there's no way you can say murder should still be illegal.

Can the argument be murder infringes on another person's right, which is why it should be illegal? Its the same basic argument the non-religious pro-life movement has been making for about forever.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

So much for controversy everyone who has posted here has pretty much agreed on 90% of the questions.

However I agree with Sees All these threads that have to do with your values turn to flamefests, because people arent going to change their values over a forum site no matter how compelling an argument for or against a said value.

Values are where you derive your political opinions from and your opinions on the said issues.

It would be more interesting if people list their values, so you can see why they choose the answers the do.

Someone anti-abortion might value life higher then freedom

Someone pro-choice might value freedom higher then life

etc, on all these answers it really comes down to how high do you value personal freedom compared to the said issues here any controversy stems from people not understanding why one values one value higher then another

It seems a shame, the posters' principles and values seem to be established to a point where too many people agree and there's no debate, simply because there isn't the other side to argue against. I do agree that this thread is a little cluttered - it's difficult to respond to a post because there's so much going on in it.

I value life over freedom, but I'm still leaning towards pro-choice, because I don't really think two reproductive cells have 'life' yet, until it actually develops some brain waves and functions like a sentient being.

@Leonard; Everyone being equal to the law is irrelevant to the fact that not all people should have the same rights. 'Rights' refers to the human rights here. It may or may not be the most basic human rights, but I think even the most basic rights could still be argued against in a specific circumstance (eg. the right to privacy for convicted sex offenders).

As for free healthcare: That's the current practice in the UK. I don't think it really helps society when people who attempt to exploit the system do indeed exploit the system and the burden then lies on the taxpayer. Chain smokers, Obese people, binge drinkers and drug abusers costs the NHS multiple billions per year (I don't know the figure itself though), on an already overstretched free healthcare service.

I think those exploiting the system ought to be refused treatment, or charged for their treatment because it's just not fair on the taxpayer that they have to pay for someone else's self inflicted illnesses/injuries. If they tried to change their eating/drinking/smoking habits, then it would make a little more sense to treat them, but if they didn't, why should we treat them for free?

Although the idea of taxing harmful substances/food may be a good one, but it's just not very effective. It's proven that the demand for fast food, alcohol and cigarettes are relatively inelastic, thus price changes would barely change the demand for the said goods.

The NHS ought to be a safety net for those in genuine need, a free service for normal people in society, and a barrier to those trying to exploit it.

Did he? I assume you're referring to waterboarding.

What is torture? Let's take a walk. This is a great article about it, which I'll try to summarize: The Geneva Conventions allow torture in certain circumstances so human rights groups pushed for the ratification of the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and U.N. Convention Against Torture and Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatments (UNCAT), which were ratified by the U.S. in 1992 and 1994. However, in order to agree to ratify them the Senate added a caveat: CID was to be understood in the U.S. as the cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment prohibited under the aforementioned Fifth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments. Section 2340 of the federal criminal code defines torture as a government act "specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering" (an exception is made for the execution of capital sentences). In 2004 the Justice Department reaffirmed that the designation torture is reserved for practices causing "intense, lasting and heinous agony" (deferring to a 2002 lower-court ruling) which are so abominable that they stand apart from other condemnable forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment.

Administered by someone who knows what they are doing and with a medical team standing by (as it was conducted), waterboarding does not endanger the life of the detainee. It is temporary, not lasting, lasting only 40 seconds (which we found out when it was revealed KSM would count to 40 on his fingers to keep track of how long he had to hold out for). It is clearly not heinous as Navy SEALs are subjected to it in their training. It is definitely intense, although it seems like it would be more of an intense fear than agony. But even conceding one of the three parts of the definition of torture it is not clear cut one way or the other which is certainly not enough for a war crimes trial, especially considering the value of the information gathered from its use.

Cliffs: Classifying waterboarding as torture is dubious at best and would not stand up in a war crimes trial.

I agree.

Why?

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif