Is Runescape becoming to social?

Lets

Some of you may be confused by what I mean when I say 'social' I know this topic may of been done before on multiple occasions on various sites but I'm fairly new to this forum so my apologies in advance.

My apologies in advance if the nature of this content is in anyway offensive or breaching any of the forum rules as I have tried to use vocabulary which makes the content less explicit.

'Social' side of Runescape, I'm talking about the adverse sexual display names, sexual innuendos, the deliberate flirting and explicit nature. I'm not talking about the occasional 'Do u wunt 2 be my gf' type. I'm talking the real deal. I've seen conversations, display names, which really I can't elaborate on as naming specific people I've seen would be unfair, I'm going to give some certain examples of which is fictional and if the person does exist is purely coincidental.

''JadeLovesJack'' ''StephsASlag'' ''JacksSoFit'' ''MegsPreggers'' These names aren't real people as I have edited them for user privacy but these are as of such as I'm seeing, every..single..day. Not just rare occasions, it's forever increasing. The sexual nature of the conversations that happen in public places, such as lumbridge, varrock square, Grand exchange. Is this really acceptable? I don't know about you but my ethics tell me that a game is a game and social events and personal desires belong in the real world.

I don't remember seeing this back in the early days of Runecape, not to this extent.. I understand with sexualization in the media, TV, books, school.. as this game increases more of this will overlap into the game, has anyone noticed this? Is it acceptable? Is Runescape becoming more of a social networking site then a game?

I'm even considering keeping my public chat to 'Friends' permantely as I'm in awe of what I see every single day. It's not offensive in any way but... Alarming, even sad. I guess there is no harm in sexually frustrated teenagers sharing there feelings? It goes beyond this, I've stood in places deliberately to see what goes on. I've even heard of some meeting up for the soul desire of fornicating. Maybe it's just me, I just don't see this as acceptlable, IT'S A GAME.

Discuss?

Well a lot of people made their accounts when they were younger, with a name like Swordkiller58194 or something. I think it just seems like you see them a lot more now after the name change update, because back then if you wanted a new name, you would need to make a new lvl 3. Now people are able to change their name without restarting, they will frequently do so. The examples you gave could be friends making fun if each other or inside jokes or something.

2s0cxth.png

I guess "StephsAslag" could be described as an "adverse sexual display name", but the others are just descriptive. If my name was "MikeSoTall", would that be really any different than "JackSoFit"?

As far as the sexual nature of conversations, I've been fishing and cooking a lot recently, and I can't say that I've experienced what you're describing.

Actually in classic there was a 24/7 sex party in the Varrock inn. Nothing too bad, we would just cyber and invent little stories. After RS2, the party moved from upstairs to downstairs, and some pmods started going there which pretty much ruined it. Afterwards it just became some sort of lame spot to show off how many rares you got, and it eventually died. It was pretty fun in it's prime though.

Either way I don't see the harm in it. I've played games where you could kiss/hug/dance with other characters, nobody really thought much of it. Although there were some lame people that complained on the forums because two male characters were shown kissing on an official screenshot. :lol:

2480+ total

I can't say RuneScape is becoming too social...While a lot more of this is becoming visible.

As stated above, Name Changing brought along a lot of this...Alongside no filter it's become quite a haven for the behaviour. But it's not as if it's becoming an epidemic, it's just become the norm, for many. There are many people with relationships that are further than RuneScape itself; they take place in the real world (Yes, that one!) but those two people happen to also enjoy the same thing. I've seen it time and time again. And any talk of soliciting, etc. is a breach of the rules. Sexually-orientated talk, etc. can still be reported, just as before. People just choose to ignore it, because that's what they've become accustomed to.

You see it as not acceptable, but put yourself in a position with the intentions to see it. You can always report it, and that will cut down on the number of people soliciting, etc.

Not that I really care for it... I'm not one to take kindly to people asking for a bf/gf in-game, etc. But people who are in a relationship choose it, and in many cases it is beyond RuneScape, thus beyond our control.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

The title of this topic is wrong. "Social" does not have the same meaning as "sexual". If you were trying to self-censor the title, perhaps something like "suggestive" would at least give a better idea of the thread contents.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I don't know why you chose the word social when you are talking about sexual, anyway no i see no difference other than display names (because jagex allows us to change them so often). In fact i found things to be better in terms of the sexual harassment and random "trash" filling the chat box. These days with the various methods of chatting through clan or friends chat i think the average scaper is somewhat filtered by what people say. There were plenty of vile and disgusting things said at any point in runescape, or any point of the internet.

Take coming of age teenagers, combine that with the protection of anonymity of the internet and you will get situations like this. Besides that i don't even see it as that bad of a problem. I have heard worse things being yelled at me in a traffic jam or spoken on the subway by adults on a daily basis.

jpegsigtest.jpg

Going to go ahead and quote you

IT'S A GAME.

And not just any game but a Role-Playing game, guess what happens when people role-play?

Also no offense, but you really sound like a bible thumper.

L2pullout.png

Criticising an MMORPG marketed to 16+ year olds for being 'too social' is an oxymoron. That's like saying that a life jacket is 'too safe', or a car is 'too efficient'.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Going to go ahead and quote you

IT'S A GAME.

And not just any game but a Role-Playing game, guess what happens when people role-play?

Also no offense, but you really sound like a bible thumper.

Just because someone notices a sexual undertone amongst certain players doesn't make them a bible thumper.

Everything usually devalues to sexual innuendo anyway because people are simple minded. I mean I'm all for the occasional horny joke, but there's a certain point where it becomes trashy, like the cliche "that's what she said" and displaying relationships on a video game. I have a girlfriend and I love her but I don't understand to what effect making my name ILUVSAM would do.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Apparently this is restricted to F2P as I have never seen this at all in game (I'm P2P).

And how does "social" = "sexual"? Why didn't you just use the proper word?

Anyways, in a game marketed to teenagers, sexual stuff is going to be discussed, and since you have complete anonymity and a (possibly) entirely different identity, it is much more comfortable and easy to do so. So why not? We think about sexual things very often. Multiple times a day generally. Only natural to talk about it with others who understand.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Many people have friends on rs. If they wanna talk sexually with certain people, what's your issue with it? If you don't wanna do it then don't. Simple.

EDIT: I've seen people who had changed their name to stuff like "LOL Ownd Japan" around the time of the earthquake/tsunami. [cabbage] like that doesn't bother me, nor does the sexual names/behaivor. I think, though, you should be more concerned with that kinda stuff than some horny internet users.

Just because someone notices a sexual undertone amongst certain players doesn't make them a bible thumper.

If someone's taking offense to it there's a pretty good chance that they are.

I don't care about the sex jokes and stuff because you get that anywhere. What I care about is the fact that people edate on the game, and people actually do meet up IRL. It's not safe and if you are that pathetic of a person that you can't meet people IRL and have to do it on a game.... It's self explanatory.

chrisman638.png

How is meeting someone IRL that you previously knew over RS less safe than meeting someone IRL that you know absolutely nothing about?

Because you can be anyone over the internet, its a little harder to lie irl. If you want you can add me on RS and I can be a 18 year old asian girl. It will be loads of fun.

chrisman638.png

How is meeting someone IRL that you previously knew over RS less safe than meeting someone IRL that you know absolutely nothing about?

People usually don't just hook up with people they never met before. irl you often meet them at work or something, and RS you can never know if people are who they say they are, some people have screws lose in the head.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Sounds like someone's been brown-nosing and taking a game too seriously. :smile:

You also misspelled a three letter word in your title.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

What I care about is the fact that people edate on the game, and people actually do meet up IRL. It's not safe and if you are that pathetic of a person that you can't meet people IRL and have to do it on a game.... It's self explanatory.

I've met loads of ppl irl that I originally met online. My girlfriend of almost 4 years we also originally met online. The only pathetic person here is you for being so closed minded.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I fail to see how any of the points listed in the OP or any posts are a bad thing. It's the world, we are bound to be sexually active by nature. (I know, right? <_< )

Restricting it is basically saying you can't have fun anymore. Lol.

Also, while e-dating may have its risks, it works for some people so let them be. In regards to this whole offensive username thing, let them be as well, don't let us become a nuisance to these said players.

Just my one cent.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention