Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is Runescape becoming to social?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

chrisman638
[ Display Name History ]

chrisman638

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Chrisman638

How is meeting someone IRL that you previously knew over RS less safe than meeting someone IRL that you know absolutely nothing about?

Because you can be anyone over the internet, its a little harder to lie irl. If you want you can add me on RS and I can be a 18 year old asian girl. It will be loads of fun.
Posted Image

ldailey06
[ Display Name History ]

ldailey06

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • RSN:Satan Panda
If you don't like the social aspect turn public chat off, problem solved no need to write like 5 paragraphs.
Posted Image

Pinata
[ Display Name History ]

Pinata

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • RSN:Pinata

How is meeting someone IRL that you previously knew over RS less safe than meeting someone IRL that you know absolutely nothing about?

People usually don't just hook up with people they never met before. irl you often meet them at work or something, and RS you can never know if people are who they say they are, some people have screws lose in the head.

Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
Sounds like someone's been brown-nosing and taking a game too seriously. :smile:

You also misspelled a three letter word in your title.
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It

What I care about is the fact that people edate on the game, and people actually do meet up IRL. It's not safe and if you are that pathetic of a person that you can't meet people IRL and have to do it on a game.... It's self explanatory.

I've met loads of ppl irl that I originally met online. My girlfriend of almost 4 years we also originally met online. The only pathetic person here is you for being so closed minded.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
I fail to see how any of the points listed in the OP or any posts are a bad thing. It's the world, we are bound to be sexually active by nature. (I know, right? <_< )

Restricting it is basically saying you can't have fun anymore. Lol.

Also, while e-dating may have its risks, it works for some people so let them be. In regards to this whole offensive username thing, let them be as well, don't let us become a nuisance to these said players.

Just my one cent.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie
Public > Friend if it bothers you

/thread

PM me in game anytime

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,299 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2

What I care about is the fact that people edate on the game, and people actually do meet up IRL.

Ergo, RuneFest.
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Actually in classic there was a 24/7 sex party in the Varrock inn.

OMG someone else remembers that! It was on the second floor of the Blue Moon Inn.

...I won't tell you all how I knew about that.

Naraku893
[ Display Name History ]

Naraku893

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
as runescape gets more popular, more 12 year olds will flood in the game. 12 year olds are the explanation for the names such as "LargeDong"

curtis95112
[ Display Name History ]

curtis95112

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 186 posts
I think your problem is with teenagers in general and not with Runescape.

Also, I don't see why you think things like that should just be kept to real life. If anything, people should be freer on the Internet.
Castle of Zoltar

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts
I have to disagree with you. I can't count the number of [bleep] jokes that were made about fishing, or how many times people did those emotes to make it look like they were engaged in sexual conduct back in 06-07 when I played. If anything the community has matured in this aspect.

I do remember making a female character and getting free beers in the Blue Moon Inn though. Good times.

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE
Heh... I still remember the news about the Al Kharid "services" bust too... And reading two people getting it on in the guards quarters of the palace a few years ago. :|

You have to consider that a lot of players from the past have moved on, and more and more people are coming in, particularly from younger age groups, who in turn have experienced quite a different upbringing than some of us older people. Look at the Disney movies, and compare movies that were shown to six-year-olds then to the ones they categorize as "G-rating."

Is RuneScape a social network? Yes, but honestly not because of the overly sexual names. Any internet game you play consists of a community that will create networks of friends who will interact with each other using the same social signals as we would in first-person interactions in real life. And people will role-play, get a chance to get away from their personalities in real life and make something bigger of themselves (no pun intended for the male anatomy), or simply to just have fun.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

Because you can be anyone over the internet, its a little harder to lie irl. If you want you can add me on RS and I can be a 18 year old asian girl. It will be loads of fun.

It's rather hard to meet up with a 5"10 white dude when you're looking for a 4"11 asian girl. JUST saying.

And anyways, it's called being smart and meeting them at like the mall or some other public place, rather then a secluded cabin near an uninhabited lake. Meeting up with someone on the internet requires things like common sense and just proceeding slowly (like, get to know them, see pictures, then voice chats, followed by webcam chats, THEN meet up IRL. At a mall or some other public place.)

I just ind it ironic that I got hit on today in Runescape and then come across this thread.

Only because you're cute ;)

Public > Friend if it bothers you

/thread

This.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Trey
[ Display Name History ]

Trey

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • RSN:Trey
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts
too

Posted Image

lagatag
[ Display Name History ]

lagatag

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,557 posts
How does social=sexual?

Also, have you ever been 14?
Posted Image

Pete Party
[ Display Name History ]

Pete Party

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 487 posts
mhh I might regret saying this but whatever,

Did you start noticing all these sexual things around you after you broke up / ended your relationship with another player... or finding out it was actually a guy?
Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
I fit into the young adult category now, and I guess my first response when I think about some of what goes on in game and the players ages, it seems wrong. Then I think about what I was like at that age, and realize that yeah, its about right.

Besides, I play another game that would seem to be populated by nothing but obnoxious, horny, racist, homophobic teenagers, so compared to that game, RuneScape might as well be populated entirely by Nuns.

[ Display Name History ]

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
I just ignore them and/or tell them to stop being inefficient and get back to grinding

Zephyrs
[ Display Name History ]

Zephyrs

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • RSN:West Haven
I frequently see sexual conversations in crowded cities, but overall, they don't bother me too much. I know that I have the option to turn public chat off or add those people to my ignore list, which makes me more lenient about those sorts of conversations. I just don't understand why conversations of that nature aren't taking place in private chat or even friends chat. Laziness? Apathy? Feeling "cool?"

I'm assuming most players are in their young teens. I was never quite that vulgar, but I'm sure I've had my moments. Children will be children, teenagers will be teenagers, adults will be adults. In time, they will learn to either not have those sorts of conversations or just not have them in public chat.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users