Is Runescape becoming to social?

Lets

Public > Friend if it bothers you

/thread

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

What I care about is the fact that people edate on the game, and people actually do meet up IRL.

Ergo, RuneFest.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I think your problem is with teenagers in general and not with Runescape.

Also, I don't see why you think things like that should just be kept to real life. If anything, people should be freer on the Internet.

Castle of Zoltar

I have to disagree with you. I can't count the number of [bleep] jokes that were made about fishing, or how many times people did those emotes to make it look like they were engaged in sexual conduct back in 06-07 when I played. If anything the community has matured in this aspect.

I do remember making a female character and getting free beers in the Blue Moon Inn though. Good times.

Heh... I still remember the news about the Al Kharid "services" bust too... And reading two people getting it on in the guards quarters of the palace a few years ago. :|

You have to consider that a lot of players from the past have moved on, and more and more people are coming in, particularly from younger age groups, who in turn have experienced quite a different upbringing than some of us older people. Look at the Disney movies, and compare movies that were shown to six-year-olds then to the ones they categorize as "G-rating."

Is RuneScape a social network? Yes, but honestly not because of the overly sexual names. Any internet game you play consists of a community that will create networks of friends who will interact with each other using the same social signals as we would in first-person interactions in real life. And people will role-play, get a chance to get away from their personalities in real life and make something bigger of themselves (no pun intended for the male anatomy), or simply to just have fun.

How is meeting someone IRL that you previously knew over RS less safe than meeting someone IRL that you know absolutely nothing about?

Because you can be anyone over the internet, its a little harder to lie irl. If you want you can add me on RS and I can be a 18 year old asian girl. It will be loads of fun.

It's rather hard to meet up with a 5"10 white dude when you're looking for a 4"11 asian girl. JUST saying.

And anyways, it's called being smart and meeting them at like the mall or some other public place, rather then a secluded cabin near an uninhabited lake. Meeting up with someone on the internet requires things like common sense and just proceeding slowly (like, get to know them, see pictures, then voice chats, followed by webcam chats, THEN meet up IRL. At a mall or some other public place.)

I just ind it ironic that I got hit on today in Runescape and then come across this thread.

Only because you're cute ;)

Public > Friend if it bothers you

/thread

This.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

mhh I might regret saying this but whatever,

Did you start noticing all these sexual things around you after you broke up / ended your relationship with another player... or finding out it was actually a guy?

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

I fit into the young adult category now, and I guess my first response when I think about some of what goes on in game and the players ages, it seems wrong. Then I think about what I was like at that age, and realize that yeah, its about right.

Besides, I play another game that would seem to be populated by nothing but obnoxious, horny, racist, homophobic teenagers, so compared to that game, RuneScape might as well be populated entirely by Nuns.

I frequently see sexual conversations in crowded cities, but overall, they don't bother me too much. I know that I have the option to turn public chat off or add those people to my ignore list, which makes me more lenient about those sorts of conversations. I just don't understand why conversations of that nature aren't taking place in private chat or even friends chat. Laziness? Apathy? Feeling "cool?"

I'm assuming most players are in their young teens. I was never quite that vulgar, but I'm sure I've had my moments. Children will be children, teenagers will be teenagers, adults will be adults. In time, they will learn to either not have those sorts of conversations or just not have them in public chat.

west_haven.png