Jagex taking stance

Pinata

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=Message to Jagex]Dear Jagex, If you read this and care about your game, please rewrite your client in c/c++, this will kill most bots if not all for a couple of months while the bot writers switch to a c/c++ system. Besides, you use a lot of c/c++/assembler in the native libraries and the game would run a lot smoother if it wasn't in the JVM. You could use the applet to invoke the engine or even display graphics, but as far as game control, leave it to c/c++. It wouldn't take much JNI or JAWT usage to convert.Sincerely, A long time RS player who wants his game back.

This would only make things more difficult for bot writers for, as you said, a month or two... Then what after that?

Rotating encrypted Item and object ID algorithms reconfigured by the server every 3 hours. This would break bots every 3 hours forcing the owners to update. Seeing that every major update in Runescape takes bots down for 10 hours - 3 days, this would drastically reduce the number of bots.

I like how you think you know coding

Thanks, I like how you a useful post.

It wouldn't be difficult to implement, just time consuming.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

[hide=omg quote chain o.o]

[hide=more hide tags to save page length XD]

[hide=long quote chain/reply to Ring_World]

If you played for fun bots DONT affect your gameplay. If you play for an enlarged e-peen your wasting your time legiting, you might as well join them. I look forward to the angry e-famers who will rage/deny what I just said.

I have fun mining, but it's hard to do that when all the training spots are full of bots. Besides, it's not that bots make the game less fun, after all I can always train other skills that they don't affect like DG, but the fact they're not only being lazy but breaking the rules that bothers me.

Seeing people blatantly flaunting their disregard for the rules has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Really which training spots do you enjoy that are taken by bots? Here is the better question, which spots occupied by bots do they have an advantage over your 97 mining if you are competing?

And why does someone's personal choice matter? Its a game, Jagex isn't a deity why do you care so much about someone breaking rules if your not out for a spot on the high scores?

Any spot where you can one hit ore at a low level. I.e., clay (yes I mine my own clay for urns while I'm f2p), iron, and all lower ores. Futhermore, all woodcutting areas.

Yes it's a game. A game most of us have logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on. This is a game that builds upon the work you've put into it; therefore, most players don't like to see their play time hindered by people who break the rules. The part about breaking the rules only bothers me is because it is Jagex's number one rule basically. It's been the center or the majority of major changes to the game and the rule they swore to uphold when they returned free trade. It's like if the federal government decided to not do anything on terrorism even though they've said they're so guns-[garden tool] about stopping it. I am well aware I just related a game to real life, but on a larger scale, that is exactly what Jagex would be doing.

Find a better spot then for clay or iron?

Ok you personally chose to legit 99 smithing by cannonball making, someone else chose to bot it and do other things why does it matter? If you enjoyed your time on rs why do you care so much about the person that chose to bot it instead? Devalues your achievement perhaps but it shouldnt devalue your fun [because fun is derived from the activity not the recognition and if that isnt the case I suggest therapy]

And if the federal government decided not to pursue terrorism anymore that would be because they decided that its a waste of recources to have troops in foreign countries to find terrorist cells and a better way to fight it would be tighter border control/protect major targets. How would that be a bad thing? In essence that is what Jagex does now.

But you are making the call that bots = terrorists with that analogy and it is just plain off. Bots dont hurt your gameplay [unless you love clay/iron mining or use pure ess as a money maker] while a terrorist may harm your life or property. The same cannot be said about bots. [besides the flimsy devalues my money maker/achievement arugments]

At any rate to you personally, you CHOSE very mundaine and repetative ways of getting 99's [smithing with cannonballs, mining with gold pre lrc/pure ess] if you feel bad that you did it legit then you should have botted it. If you are mad that someone botting it takes away ingame recognition for your achievements seek therapy. If you are mad that bots devalue your money maker - find a better money maker. If you enjoy clay mining above all else in RS find an empty spot [yes im sure it exists].

If you enjoy mining, say you enjoy LRC, say you want 99. Why does it matter if you enjoyed getting 99, achieved it but someone else cheated. This is entertainment not a job, them cheating means nothing to me if I enjoy what I am doing.

Edit: I know it seems rude of me to say that about method you personally used to train but its not you directly im saying it to, its anyone who feels they got cheated by someone cheating. If this was IRL id support you 100% however this is entertainment, if someone cheats in GTA (Grand Theft Auto) and I dont care, after all what difference does it make to me? The only difference comes when theres a pecking order established by a high score list, but I honestly think people who worship those lists need therapy.

Edit: Edit: I know im rambling in this post bare with me

[/hide]

Every good spot for clay and iron are filled with at least three bots per ore cluster in F2P. I was just citing examples for activities levels don't affect when compared against bots. I can outclick bots the majority of time so it isn't a hassle for me, necessarily.

I did enjoy my time Smithing to 99. Why do I care about the person botting? They're cheating. The principle is as simple as that. Bots don't affect me until they begin to hinder my game play, and since everyone can use a furnace, they did not hinder my smelting. It never devalued my fun, but it does for sure devalue the achievement if one can not play a single hour and achieve that same skill as I have. As for recognition, explain the entire basis of skill capes. Humans by nature enjoy being recognized for their achievements whether they are real or something online. Why would there be Valedictorian during high school graduations if recognition is not important. I'm not saying it's a driving factor behind people getting 99s, but it's an after product that people enjoy to see/hear. Take strength and cooking for example. Most people do not even buy the capes because they are so popular and therefore devalued. Obviously, recognition is important to players.

If the federal government stopped an active approach towards terrorism they wouldn't stop entirely. You said it yourself, they would do something and not just totally stop. Totally stopping is basically what Jagex has done. If Jagex took an approach where they make it harder for bots to function effectively it would be different. They have done nothing besides blow smoke up our posterior ends.

Again, you said that RuneScape is for entertainment. If I decide that I loathe frost dragons and want to fish sharks since I enjoy fishing and they were decent money, then that's my choice and it's based on the fun factor. The bots have obviously harmed shark prices and therefore they have devalued something I enjoy and made it near stupid to fish for money. In essence, they ruined that aspect of fun since it's so impractical to perform that task anymore. Therefore, they did affect my game play and hinder my experience in RuneScape. I myself stated that I am not comparing bots to terrorists, but am comparing the actions of Jagex to something on a much larger scale, the federal government.

I do not feel bad about the way I achieved 99s. I did them because I LOVED that certain skill and the way of training it that I choose. Personally, smelting three minute batches that allowed me to forum browse and such, is the way I wanted to play RuneScape at that time. I'm not mad about people botting, as Racheya said in her article, "I don't care." It's the fact that they are cheating that bothers me only slightly. It's as simple as that; someone is allowed to cheat blatantly and get away with it. As I said before, empty spots are extremely tough to come by.

It doesn't matter to me at least. As I said before, it's the blatant cheating.

It's not rude, it's support to your argument and I'm fine with that. The only way bots directly affect you is if they ruin a way you used to play (mentioned above) or hinder your from performing a duty effectively. There are a lot of people who value they place on the high scores. To them, it is a competition and maybe this is the one thing they're good at. Is it wrong for them to have a sense of achievement over a game? Some may say yes, but others would disagree. It's all a matter of opinion and circumstance. My main point is however, it's cheating plain and simple. I'm not criticizing anyone besides Jagex themselves. If you're not going to enforce a rule then simply remove it and do not lie to people by saying you're proactively against it.

Personally, bots don't bother me anymore. When I was low leveled I believed I could make a difference by sending it hundreds of names of suspected bots into Jagex. I don't think so anymore. They're something I ,in essence, grew up with and with their return, I'm used to them. Botting isn't a felony or near a major crime; however, when Jagex basis major decisions about botting, they emphasize its importance in RuneScape itself. Therefore, they have established the severity of the offence in people's minds.

I had to retype this entire post as I hit add reply earlier and my internet died XD. I hope it's as good as the original.

I ask you why the principle of someone cheating matters to you that much? I like to believe im live and let live about a lot of things so its just foreign to me to care about someone else breaking the rules in a way that doesnt harm anyone. A real life example of this would be a pot smoker or someone that gets out of paying traffic tickets somehow. They dont hurt anyone by their actions so I tend to be rather empathetic with them. That is the same attitude I have towards someone who says "Yeah I botted this skill and that skill cause they suck"

The reason I say that ingame recognition shouldn't be sought after [and you should seek therapy if it is something you strive for] is that it is a MAJOR factor in developing an unhealthy obsession for the content, it creates the allusion of achieving something when in reality it isn't real. A lot of the top players on the 200m in all skills thread that quit have said similar things.

Sure recognition is fun, and pretty nice but it is harmful in my opinion to play for dangerous amounts of times for that high, when spending that amount of time on real challenges will create real recognition as well as real accomplishments. But for your particular runescape accomplishments, I think what you did was great and quite a feat at the time you did it and if you had fun doing it more power to you. :lol:

On the Jagex actions towards bots I agree they should be more responsive and actually do something. And I agree with you about bots that directly interfere with your fun are bad. Just something I dont understand still is the ones that dont interfere with your fun such as smith bots or alch bots, why does it matter if the player is cheating?

[/hide]

It just boils down to myself having pride in certain skills that I have accomplished. There are plenty of people that bot 99 cooking, and do I care? Not particularly. It ruins the fun you could have had and makes the accomplishment (if there is one) meaningless, but that's their choice. People who bot a skill like Runecrafting however kind of annoy me. It's a tedious skill that the majortiy of people who possess the skillcape have pride in. Also, it used to be a major money-maker for skillers that is basically ruined now.The fact that I can do nothing about it however makes it to the point where it's dumb to care if someone is botting anymore.

I don't see the point in botting 99's when you can easily play on a private server if abilities is all your after. If you think about it, people who bot are after recognition for no input sometimes. The fact that someone can offer zero input and achieve exactly what the person who spent 100 hundred hours doing whatever annoys me as well. It's as if someone got through the entirity of high school by cheating off someone else and graduated. I understand this happens, but on a much smaller scale. In fine, it takes away from the achievement, someone can achieve something with no input, and the majority of bots now directly harm players (as in they ruin training spots, ruin old money makers, and crowd areas).

Note that bots did not affect any of my skills so this isn't me being madbro about this :P.

Fair enough on the first paragraph.

Perhaps they are unfairly tring to enlarge their e-peen without actually exercising it themselves, so what it doesnt matter. A person that cheated their way to max lvl in runescape what did they gain or lose by doing so? They gained in-game recogntion (arguably undeserved), I cant think of much other gains, perhaps entertainment at max combat without working to get it? What did they lose by botting? Arguably nothing either, potentially their account and/or money to buy the bot but that isnt really too bad considering buy the bot once have it for life and bot a new account if main gets banned.

In relation to high school cheater its a poor example because you gain undeserved recognition for cheating, however you are an illiterate dumb ass despite the fact that you graduate.

That is why I say cheating IRL is bad and cheating in rs isnt.

[/hide]

They have an unfair advantage against anyone who actually spent the time to train. They did so without any struggles and in essences didn't earn what they have. It's about honor and pride basically. One who bots doesn't deserve the levels they earned. Compared to the players who sacrificed their time to achieve their goal and be able to do something new, they don't deserve it. If the players who bot only wanted the levels, why don't they just play on private servers? They obviously want the recognition and the ability to play with legitemate players. However, when they cheat, break a contract they agreed too, and break one of the biggest rules in the game, they don't even deserve that right. It's about having honor in everything you do. It my be a game, but I don't lose my morals when I click log on.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I do agree what Ring World said, the achievement you build up in the game means nothing in the real world. I could have woodcutting lvl 99 or range 99 in the game, doesn't mean I can chop trees properly or shoot a thing with bow and arrows from 20 feet away. What's more, nobody in real world would care about the arbitrary numbers in a virtual game.

However, as I play more, I realized that it kind of matters, not to real world, but to people in the game. When I mentioned RS to others, people would either dismiss it, or think of it as a kid game. When I mentioned it to another Rs player, they would immediately share the same excitement their experience with the game.

It matters to us from the point that we, as the whole RS community are playing this game. You know what I am talking about, and I know what you are talking about, even though it might be complete different alien language to other non RS player. I kind of feel a bit special playing RS really, because I am involved in something that I feel there is some sort of belonging (don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is my only form of enjoyment in life). But in the sense that I enjoy it as other people enjoy playing the game as well.

In terms of bots, they ruined the experience that we have in the game. What do we care if no one cares about RS in the real world, since its non of their business and they have no idea about the game anyways. To us, on this forum, that people share the same sentiment toward the game. It's also a point where legitimate players feel that cheaters and botters are wrecking a game that "matters" to them.

A good example would be the current international crisis. I live in Vancouver, and we here are pretty peaceful and safe of natural disasters (well, kind of) compare to other places like Lybia or Seria. I do feel sad about what's happening there, but in reality, I don't really care in the sense that as long the war is contained there and doesn't spill here, it won't affect any one (other than our gas prices, but its going up anyways regardless of the war). At this point, people would say, man, don't you feel sad for them at all, and how could you think something like that. Well, my response would be the same, to me, its not real world here, to me the Stanley Cup play off is the real thing, Canucks Vs Bruins is the real deal. Unless Lybia decide to fire a missile at Rogers Arena, I probably won't care and can't really care what happen there anyways. (let me know if this example if a bit too extreme, but that's life really)

Overall, it matters to the people that matters, and it won't matter to the people that couldn't care less. For once, I think RS players who voice their concerns are greater than then one that don't really care (and they have a right to, there is no right or wrong wagon). So the majority wins?

I don't know...I just want to get my skill done and report bots while at it.....

a happy Runescaper

[hide=omg quote chain o.o]

[hide=more hide tags to save page length XD]

[hide=long quote chain/reply to Ring_World]

If you played for fun bots DONT affect your gameplay. If you play for an enlarged e-peen your wasting your time legiting, you might as well join them. I look forward to the angry e-famers who will rage/deny what I just said.

I have fun mining, but it's hard to do that when all the training spots are full of bots. Besides, it's not that bots make the game less fun, after all I can always train other skills that they don't affect like DG, but the fact they're not only being lazy but breaking the rules that bothers me.

Seeing people blatantly flaunting their disregard for the rules has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Really which training spots do you enjoy that are taken by bots? Here is the better question, which spots occupied by bots do they have an advantage over your 97 mining if you are competing?

And why does someone's personal choice matter? Its a game, Jagex isn't a deity why do you care so much about someone breaking rules if your not out for a spot on the high scores?

Any spot where you can one hit ore at a low level. I.e., clay (yes I mine my own clay for urns while I'm f2p), iron, and all lower ores. Futhermore, all woodcutting areas.

Yes it's a game. A game most of us have logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on. This is a game that builds upon the work you've put into it; therefore, most players don't like to see their play time hindered by people who break the rules. The part about breaking the rules only bothers me is because it is Jagex's number one rule basically. It's been the center or the majority of major changes to the game and the rule they swore to uphold when they returned free trade. It's like if the federal government decided to not do anything on terrorism even though they've said they're so guns-[garden tool] about stopping it. I am well aware I just related a game to real life, but on a larger scale, that is exactly what Jagex would be doing.

Find a better spot then for clay or iron?

Ok you personally chose to legit 99 smithing by cannonball making, someone else chose to bot it and do other things why does it matter? If you enjoyed your time on rs why do you care so much about the person that chose to bot it instead? Devalues your achievement perhaps but it shouldnt devalue your fun [because fun is derived from the activity not the recognition and if that isnt the case I suggest therapy]

And if the federal government decided not to pursue terrorism anymore that would be because they decided that its a waste of recources to have troops in foreign countries to find terrorist cells and a better way to fight it would be tighter border control/protect major targets. How would that be a bad thing? In essence that is what Jagex does now.

But you are making the call that bots = terrorists with that analogy and it is just plain off. Bots dont hurt your gameplay [unless you love clay/iron mining or use pure ess as a money maker] while a terrorist may harm your life or property. The same cannot be said about bots. [besides the flimsy devalues my money maker/achievement arugments]

At any rate to you personally, you CHOSE very mundaine and repetative ways of getting 99's [smithing with cannonballs, mining with gold pre lrc/pure ess] if you feel bad that you did it legit then you should have botted it. If you are mad that someone botting it takes away ingame recognition for your achievements seek therapy. If you are mad that bots devalue your money maker - find a better money maker. If you enjoy clay mining above all else in RS find an empty spot [yes im sure it exists].

If you enjoy mining, say you enjoy LRC, say you want 99. Why does it matter if you enjoyed getting 99, achieved it but someone else cheated. This is entertainment not a job, them cheating means nothing to me if I enjoy what I am doing.

Edit: I know it seems rude of me to say that about method you personally used to train but its not you directly im saying it to, its anyone who feels they got cheated by someone cheating. If this was IRL id support you 100% however this is entertainment, if someone cheats in GTA (Grand Theft Auto) and I dont care, after all what difference does it make to me? The only difference comes when theres a pecking order established by a high score list, but I honestly think people who worship those lists need therapy.

Edit: Edit: I know im rambling in this post bare with me

[/hide]

Every good spot for clay and iron are filled with at least three bots per ore cluster in F2P. I was just citing examples for activities levels don't affect when compared against bots. I can outclick bots the majority of time so it isn't a hassle for me, necessarily.

I did enjoy my time Smithing to 99. Why do I care about the person botting? They're cheating. The principle is as simple as that. Bots don't affect me until they begin to hinder my game play, and since everyone can use a furnace, they did not hinder my smelting. It never devalued my fun, but it does for sure devalue the achievement if one can not play a single hour and achieve that same skill as I have. As for recognition, explain the entire basis of skill capes. Humans by nature enjoy being recognized for their achievements whether they are real or something online. Why would there be Valedictorian during high school graduations if recognition is not important. I'm not saying it's a driving factor behind people getting 99s, but it's an after product that people enjoy to see/hear. Take strength and cooking for example. Most people do not even buy the capes because they are so popular and therefore devalued. Obviously, recognition is important to players.

If the federal government stopped an active approach towards terrorism they wouldn't stop entirely. You said it yourself, they would do something and not just totally stop. Totally stopping is basically what Jagex has done. If Jagex took an approach where they make it harder for bots to function effectively it would be different. They have done nothing besides blow smoke up our posterior ends.

Again, you said that RuneScape is for entertainment. If I decide that I loathe frost dragons and want to fish sharks since I enjoy fishing and they were decent money, then that's my choice and it's based on the fun factor. The bots have obviously harmed shark prices and therefore they have devalued something I enjoy and made it near stupid to fish for money. In essence, they ruined that aspect of fun since it's so impractical to perform that task anymore. Therefore, they did affect my game play and hinder my experience in RuneScape. I myself stated that I am not comparing bots to terrorists, but am comparing the actions of Jagex to something on a much larger scale, the federal government.

I do not feel bad about the way I achieved 99s. I did them because I LOVED that certain skill and the way of training it that I choose. Personally, smelting three minute batches that allowed me to forum browse and such, is the way I wanted to play RuneScape at that time. I'm not mad about people botting, as Racheya said in her article, "I don't care." It's the fact that they are cheating that bothers me only slightly. It's as simple as that; someone is allowed to cheat blatantly and get away with it. As I said before, empty spots are extremely tough to come by.

It doesn't matter to me at least. As I said before, it's the blatant cheating.

It's not rude, it's support to your argument and I'm fine with that. The only way bots directly affect you is if they ruin a way you used to play (mentioned above) or hinder your from performing a duty effectively. There are a lot of people who value they place on the high scores. To them, it is a competition and maybe this is the one thing they're good at. Is it wrong for them to have a sense of achievement over a game? Some may say yes, but others would disagree. It's all a matter of opinion and circumstance. My main point is however, it's cheating plain and simple. I'm not criticizing anyone besides Jagex themselves. If you're not going to enforce a rule then simply remove it and do not lie to people by saying you're proactively against it.

Personally, bots don't bother me anymore. When I was low leveled I believed I could make a difference by sending it hundreds of names of suspected bots into Jagex. I don't think so anymore. They're something I ,in essence, grew up with and with their return, I'm used to them. Botting isn't a felony or near a major crime; however, when Jagex basis major decisions about botting, they emphasize its importance in RuneScape itself. Therefore, they have established the severity of the offence in people's minds.

I had to retype this entire post as I hit add reply earlier and my internet died XD. I hope it's as good as the original.

I ask you why the principle of someone cheating matters to you that much? I like to believe im live and let live about a lot of things so its just foreign to me to care about someone else breaking the rules in a way that doesnt harm anyone. A real life example of this would be a pot smoker or someone that gets out of paying traffic tickets somehow. They dont hurt anyone by their actions so I tend to be rather empathetic with them. That is the same attitude I have towards someone who says "Yeah I botted this skill and that skill cause they suck"

The reason I say that ingame recognition shouldn't be sought after [and you should seek therapy if it is something you strive for] is that it is a MAJOR factor in developing an unhealthy obsession for the content, it creates the allusion of achieving something when in reality it isn't real. A lot of the top players on the 200m in all skills thread that quit have said similar things.

Sure recognition is fun, and pretty nice but it is harmful in my opinion to play for dangerous amounts of times for that high, when spending that amount of time on real challenges will create real recognition as well as real accomplishments. But for your particular runescape accomplishments, I think what you did was great and quite a feat at the time you did it and if you had fun doing it more power to you. :lol:

On the Jagex actions towards bots I agree they should be more responsive and actually do something. And I agree with you about bots that directly interfere with your fun are bad. Just something I dont understand still is the ones that dont interfere with your fun such as smith bots or alch bots, why does it matter if the player is cheating?

[/hide]

It just boils down to myself having pride in certain skills that I have accomplished. There are plenty of people that bot 99 cooking, and do I care? Not particularly. It ruins the fun you could have had and makes the accomplishment (if there is one) meaningless, but that's their choice. People who bot a skill like Runecrafting however kind of annoy me. It's a tedious skill that the majortiy of people who possess the skillcape have pride in. Also, it used to be a major money-maker for skillers that is basically ruined now.The fact that I can do nothing about it however makes it to the point where it's dumb to care if someone is botting anymore.

I don't see the point in botting 99's when you can easily play on a private server if abilities is all your after. If you think about it, people who bot are after recognition for no input sometimes. The fact that someone can offer zero input and achieve exactly what the person who spent 100 hundred hours doing whatever annoys me as well. It's as if someone got through the entirity of high school by cheating off someone else and graduated. I understand this happens, but on a much smaller scale. In fine, it takes away from the achievement, someone can achieve something with no input, and the majority of bots now directly harm players (as in they ruin training spots, ruin old money makers, and crowd areas).

Note that bots did not affect any of my skills so this isn't me being madbro about this :P.

Fair enough on the first paragraph.

Perhaps they are unfairly tring to enlarge their e-peen without actually exercising it themselves, so what it doesnt matter. A person that cheated their way to max lvl in runescape what did they gain or lose by doing so? They gained in-game recogntion (arguably undeserved), I cant think of much other gains, perhaps entertainment at max combat without working to get it? What did they lose by botting? Arguably nothing either, potentially their account and/or money to buy the bot but that isnt really too bad considering buy the bot once have it for life and bot a new account if main gets banned.

In relation to high school cheater its a poor example because you gain undeserved recognition for cheating, however you are an illiterate dumb ass despite the fact that you graduate.

That is why I say cheating IRL is bad and cheating in rs isnt.

[/hide]

They have an unfair advantage against anyone who actually spent the time to train. They did so without any struggles and in essences didn't earn what they have. It's about honor and pride basically. One who bots doesn't deserve the levels they earned. Compared to the players who sacrificed their time to achieve their goal and be able to do something new, they don't deserve it. If the players who bot only wanted the levels, why don't they just play on private servers? They obviously want the recognition and the ability to play with legitemate players. However, when they cheat, break a contract they agreed too, and break one of the biggest rules in the game, they don't even deserve that right. It's about having honor in everything you do. It my be a game, but I don't lose my morals when I click log on.

Why does "morality" have to enter into it?

How does the existence of bots lessen your "achievements" if you know that you worked hard, honestly and earnestly to get them?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall opinion on the botting problem, but I am disagreeing with your point of view on this as to how it affects both you and your gaming experience.

I agree that it's a problem – I just diagree as to why it's a problem:

IMO – the problem with bots is that, in the end, if something doesn't get done about them, and soon, we're pretty much going to be playing "Botscape". Go to those common locations for bots and the sheer number of the damn things out there demonstrates the degree to which this problem has truly got out of control. It's pretty much reached the point of critical mass.

... and it's not just a few people trying to train grinding skills anymore, it's people trying to make IRL money from them, too. As a result, those places where people trained "combat skills" or "earned money", like GWD and Black Demons, have now been so inundated with bots, that it's become almost impossible to go to those places anymore.

Off topic +1:

Is it time to "RIOT" about the botting problem?

nyuseg.png

It's never changed anything in the past, although it would be fun to take part in one and be a part of RS history.

If people really want to show Jagex that botting is a serious problem, then all the members need to cancel their memberships until something is done. That would hit them in the one place that seems to matter: their pocketbook.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It's never changed anything in the past, although it would be fun to take part in one and be a part of RS history.

If people really want to show Jagex that botting is a serious problem, then all the members need to cancel their memberships until something is done. That would hit them in the one place that seems to matter: their pocketbook.

How does something like a riot get organized, I wonder? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

People have to care about the issue, when it comes to botting - they wont.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Neither, apparently, does Jagex. I just took a stroll through the main page. At a tertiary glance, I could not locate the original link to the forums about the whole "bot busting" extravaganza. Apparently "world turtle day" was far more important ...

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Would love to watch a riot about botting. My bet is that many there will use an autotyper.

The irony.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Would love to watch a riot about botting. My bet is that many there will use an autotyper.

The irony.

How about a bot that RIOTS about bots? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Sounds legit if the Jmods are active. This is what RS needs. Just imagine having a Jmod that can perm ban/stat reset/bank swipe, available at your service. If they hired a jmod to do this during the work day, it would definitely make a difference.

THANK ME! Link me to the thread, please!

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Sounds legit if the Jmods are active. This is what RS needs. Just imagine having a Jmod that can perm ban/stat reset/bank swipe, available at your service. If they hired a jmod to do this during the work day, it would definitely make a difference.

THANK ME! Link me to the thread, please!

Jagex rakes in the profit like there's no tomorrow. They could hire a team of bot busters and have the problem fixed by next week, and they wouldn't put a dent in that profit margin.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I really want all the bots to go. Yes, I've played this game for a while now and yes, bots have been throughout this game. I don't care if prices fluctuate but I'm getting to the point that I'm fed up with the lack of caring by people to bot as well as people not caring about the bots enough.

The faster bots can disappear, the better.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

As long as they ban accounts rather than computers and/or IPs, they'll fail.

Oh noes! I've been IP banned. Now I have to get out of my chair and walk 3 steps to reset my router. Oh wait, they just banned my MAC address. Now all I have to do is go edit a simple registry entry without even leaving my chair!

As long as they ban accounts rather than computers and/or IPs, they'll fail.

Oh noes! I've been IP banned. Now I have to get out of my chair and walk 3 steps to reset my router. Oh wait, they just banned my MAC address. Now all I have to do is go edit a simple registry entry without even leaving my chair!

Actually, for most ISPs in the US, resetting your router does jack [cabbage] to change your IP. This is even more true in college residence networks - you get a static IP and that's it. I have no idea how Jagex would know your MAC address, that is literally something only your ISP sees... The easiest way to get around IP ban is really VPN (not free) or dial-up. And how many people you know are still on dial-up?

And why are you arguing for ways to get around punishment? Of course there are ways to get around EVERYTHING, but does that mean we should just stop punishing cheaters completely. No system for punishement = anarchy and everyone living in a cave with a shotgun.

IP ban (and heck ban all accounts on that IP) is a harsh punishment and it will ger responses. ofc none of that matters since the only [cabbage] Jagex had been handing out are temp bans...and if any legit players are left, I REALLY suggest you to look elsewhere.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Get a different ISP then, or use one of the literally millions of online proxy servers. The point I was making is IP bans and any other measures like that won't work.

The best method I've heard is flagging largely unbalanced trades, especially ones coming from level 3 gold runners, and banning those who they traded with. Even that only stops RWT bots though.

Get a different ISP then, or use one of the literally millions of online proxy servers. The point I was making is IP bans and any other measures like that won't work.

The best method I've heard is flagging largely unbalanced trades, especially ones coming from level 3 gold runners, and banning those who they traded with. Even that only stops RWT bots though.

As far as I know, they montior all large, unbalanced trades. They between Dec 21st, the removal of the wildy, and when they removed FT. They placed the trade restrictions on the accounts with large, unbalanced trades early. Also, a report sends a picture of all trades in the last 60 secs, so report someone if you think they've just bought gold.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

They really lower the atmosphere of the game for me, although I wouldn't say this is applies at all times.

It's just like if you're doing a quest in certain areas in fullscreen with sounds and trying to actually get into the storyline and enjoy it, seeing a string of company-controllled bots (not sure what else to call them to differentiate) kinda kills any atmosphere you could get.

I've said this before in other ways, but more casual players just looking for that next level won't care as much as someone playing for the feel of the game or people who actually roleplay and do stuff like that, although they seem to be a dying breed.

Also I'd say that at least the Graahk RC bots legitimately ruined or at least drastically reduced Nature RCing as a decent moneymaking method. RC sucks, fully understood. So, rather obviously, if that bot weren't around, there wouldn't be people RCing in the volume they are at the moment.

The amount of Natures being produced is unnatural, but then thet same could be said of many items...

2dgucz6.png

Who cares what bots do?

They keep prices on materials low:P

Maybe if your not good at money-making you might feel otherwise though ha.

Oh lord, not this again.

Bots are against the rules, some people might be sympathetic, but that doesn't excuse the fact they're cheating.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Who cares what bots do?

They keep prices on materials low:P

Maybe if your not good at money-making you might feel otherwise though ha.

Oh lord, not this again.

Bots are against the rules, some people might be sympathetic, but that doesn't excuse the fact they're cheating.

why does cheating in a video game matter? Unless you have a specific instance of bots ruining your fun [via hogging your training spots for example] what does it matter if a person chooses to cheat?

Well aside from the tangible problems like hogging training spots, devaluing raw items and such, it's not in the spirit of the game. Why should we be expected to slog out all the grinding is so many lazy asses cheat like that?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

yes yes yes, the hogging spots and devaluing raw mats are valid complaints in my opinion, but what does "spirit of the game" even mean, and who decides what that is?

I dont know how to answer your question, if you dont enjoy grinding you might as well cheat like the rest of them. Thats how I see it, this isn't something your getting paid for so by all means avoid or cheat activities you dont enjoy.

The spirit of the game means playing fair, playing honestly. It's a game, if you don't follow the rules of the game then it's hardly a proper game, it's just a bunch of people doing as they like. I just find it unfair and dishonest.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

yes yes yes, the hogging spots and devaluing raw mats are valid complaints in my opinion, but what does "spirit of the game" even mean, and who decides what that is?

I dont know how to answer your question, if you dont enjoy grinding you might as well cheat like the rest of them. Thats how I see it, this isn't something your getting paid for so by all means avoid or cheat activities you dont enjoy.

The spirit of the game means playing fair, playing honestly. It's a game, if you don't follow the rules of the game then it's hardly a proper game, it's just a bunch of people doing as they like. I just find it unfair and dishonest.

way ahead of you see my last post.

Also who decides that is the spirit of the game? If I decide that the spirit of the game is to lie, cheat and steal would I be wrong?

Ring -- all "spirit of the game" and "cheaters neener neener" discussion points aside -- where is YOUR threshold? At what point do you think that "botting" will become a sufficient problem to annoy you beyond the point that you simply will not dismiss it as unimportant and actually take issue with it?

I could give a rat's ass that someone cheats. My "in game" achievements mean [bleep] all to me. I just like to play the game [as efficiently as possible].

But let's be frank here -- they've past MY threshold point. Bots are practically everywhere and in HUGE and obvious numbers. They're in the Black Demons cavern in Taverly and have pretty much choked out that resource/tarining area. They've made it damn near impossible to get a quick kill rate in GWD for Armadyl ... <_<

How soon before the bots take over so much of the game that it becomes unplayable, do you think?

Will it have reached YOUR threshold then?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png