Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex taking stance

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Oh well. Slow and steady wins the race, there's no miracles waiting around the corner. Patience is a virtue.

The problem is that robots don't feel impatient.

Carl
[ Display Name History ]

Carl

I <3 N_odie!

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Carl
  • RSN2:Newb
I'm not referring to the bots. But rather people expecting things to just happen at the drop of a hat. They need to expect things to take time before a permanent, less demanding and more obvious solution is implemented.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555

I'm not referring to the bots. But rather people expecting things to just happen at the drop of a hat. They need to expect things to take time before a permanent, less demanding and more obvious solution is implemented.

They should have done it in the years they had before free trade came out.
Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Vandite
[ Display Name History ]

Vandite

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • RSN:Vandite

Cheating in RuneScape is quite bad as well.

If you play a game improperly, and devalue the achievements of others who spent their time attaining those achievements, that most definitely is bad and disgraceful.

Why play the game at all if you can't play it properly? Is there even the slightest bit of logic in cheating?

Also, I find it funny when people call legitimate players 'no-lifes', when in reality the idiots who choose to cheat are the one's that can't let go of the game and resort to cheating.

Regardless of what the argument is, cheating is a huge negative in the community, and frowned upon greatly.

"Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone."
Posted Image

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,506 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Cheating in RuneScape is quite bad as well.

If you play a game improperly, and devalue the achievements of others who spent their time attaining those achievements, that most definitely is bad and disgraceful.

Why play the game at all if you can't play it properly? Is there even the slightest bit of logic in cheating?

Also, I find it funny when people call legitimate players 'no-lifes', when in reality the idiots who choose to cheat are the one's that can't let go of the game and resort to cheating.

Regardless of what the argument is, cheating is a huge negative in the community, and frowned upon greatly.

Newsflash: Your in-game achievements mean nothing. Ask any of the people who were going for 200m in all skills and quit what they think of their work in runescape. They will say it was fun but an overall waste of time.

And whats to play properly, can you honestly tell me the purpose of legit leveling agility or firemaking? What will it get you besides carpal tunnel? If anything the cheaters get more out of runescape then the players. The kid who devoted 100's of hours to make an amazing bot and goes on to program for NASA inspired by his work as a kid is MUCH more of a winner then the kid who grinded out agility for 100's of hours, neglecting his homework and friends.

The kid who made his bot, did his homework and was with his friends was much better off then the guy who "honorably" grinded out a pointless skill for his cape. Sure the botter cares about the fake achievements too but at least he isnt wasting his life on them like the legiter.

Runescape means nothing, it is entertainment, just more interactive version of watching television. To the people who get angry that their empty achievements aren't being properly recognized you need to realize that even if there were no cheaters and you got all the e-fame/love you can imagine it means nothing once the computer is turned off. It is just a fake high, a false inflation of your ego, much like being famous on a social networking site doesn't do anything other then inflate your ego.

The people who care most about cheating care because it threatens them. It makes them feel like the 1000's of hours they threw away for e-love was wasted, and I am sorry to be the one to agree with that but yes it was a waste of life. The hours you truly had fun were worth it while the many hours of grinding to get there are a waste.

Does me saying this make me a botter or make me want to be one? No. I have trained my skills as high as I want to go for now. I will slowly get 80 rc and 80 hunt but after that its just combat and money making, no reason to bot since I will enjoy every minute of it. If I didn't enjoy it then yes I would get a bot. I dont care who takes offense to me saying that, if grinding is an obstacle in the way of having fun I have every right to bypass it, after all runescape is meant for entertainment not to be a job. And I care little about what the community of grindscape thinks about that :lol:

inb4 flamefest at this post

Profins
[ Display Name History ]

Profins

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Profins
  • RSN2:Profins Jr
  • Clan:Clanless
As long as they ban accounts rather than computers and/or IPs, they'll fail.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

As long as they ban accounts rather than computers and/or IPs, they'll fail.

False.

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd

Message to Jagex

This would only make things more difficult for bot writers for, as you said, a month or two... Then what after that?

Rotating encrypted Item and object ID algorithms reconfigured by the server every 3 hours. This would break bots every 3 hours forcing the owners to update. Seeing that every major update in Runescape takes bots down for 10 hours - 3 days, this would drastically reduce the number of bots.

I like how you think you know coding

Thanks, I like how you a useful post.

It wouldn't be difficult to implement, just time consuming.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44
omg quote chain o.o

They have an unfair advantage against anyone who actually spent the time to train. They did so without any struggles and in essences didn't earn what they have. It's about honor and pride basically. One who bots doesn't deserve the levels they earned. Compared to the players who sacrificed their time to achieve their goal and be able to do something new, they don't deserve it. If the players who bot only wanted the levels, why don't they just play on private servers? They obviously want the recognition and the ability to play with legitemate players. However, when they cheat, break a contract they agreed too, and break one of the biggest rules in the game, they don't even deserve that right. It's about having honor in everything you do. It my be a game, but I don't lose my morals when I click log on.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts
I do agree what Ring World said, the achievement you build up in the game means nothing in the real world. I could have woodcutting lvl 99 or range 99 in the game, doesn't mean I can chop trees properly or shoot a thing with bow and arrows from 20 feet away. What's more, nobody in real world would care about the arbitrary numbers in a virtual game.

However, as I play more, I realized that it kind of matters, not to real world, but to people in the game. When I mentioned RS to others, people would either dismiss it, or think of it as a kid game. When I mentioned it to another Rs player, they would immediately share the same excitement their experience with the game.

It matters to us from the point that we, as the whole RS community are playing this game. You know what I am talking about, and I know what you are talking about, even though it might be complete different alien language to other non RS player. I kind of feel a bit special playing RS really, because I am involved in something that I feel there is some sort of belonging (don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is my only form of enjoyment in life). But in the sense that I enjoy it as other people enjoy playing the game as well.

In terms of bots, they ruined the experience that we have in the game. What do we care if no one cares about RS in the real world, since its non of their business and they have no idea about the game anyways. To us, on this forum, that people share the same sentiment toward the game. It's also a point where legitimate players feel that cheaters and botters are wrecking a game that "matters" to them.

A good example would be the current international crisis. I live in Vancouver, and we here are pretty peaceful and safe of natural disasters (well, kind of) compare to other places like Lybia or Seria. I do feel sad about what's happening there, but in reality, I don't really care in the sense that as long the war is contained there and doesn't spill here, it won't affect any one (other than our gas prices, but its going up anyways regardless of the war). At this point, people would say, man, don't you feel sad for them at all, and how could you think something like that. Well, my response would be the same, to me, its not real world here, to me the Stanley Cup play off is the real thing, Canucks Vs Bruins is the real deal. Unless Lybia decide to fire a missile at Rogers Arena, I probably won't care and can't really care what happen there anyways. (let me know if this example if a bit too extreme, but that's life really)

Overall, it matters to the people that matters, and it won't matter to the people that couldn't care less. For once, I think RS players who voice their concerns are greater than then one that don't really care (and they have a right to, there is no right or wrong wagon). So the majority wins?

I don't know...I just want to get my skill done and report bots while at it.....
a happy Runescaper

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte

omg quote chain o.o

They have an unfair advantage against anyone who actually spent the time to train. They did so without any struggles and in essences didn't earn what they have. It's about honor and pride basically. One who bots doesn't deserve the levels they earned. Compared to the players who sacrificed their time to achieve their goal and be able to do something new, they don't deserve it. If the players who bot only wanted the levels, why don't they just play on private servers? They obviously want the recognition and the ability to play with legitemate players. However, when they cheat, break a contract they agreed too, and break one of the biggest rules in the game, they don't even deserve that right. It's about having honor in everything you do. It my be a game, but I don't lose my morals when I click log on.

Why does "morality" have to enter into it?

How does the existence of bots lessen your "achievements" if you know that you worked hard, honestly and earnestly to get them?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall opinion on the botting problem, but I am disagreeing with your point of view on this as to how it affects both you and your gaming experience.

I agree that it's a problem – I just diagree as to why it's a problem:

IMO – the problem with bots is that, in the end, if something doesn't get done about them, and soon, we're pretty much going to be playing "Botscape". Go to those common locations for bots and the sheer number of the damn things out there demonstrates the degree to which this problem has truly got out of control. It's pretty much reached the point of critical mass.

... and it's not just a few people trying to train grinding skills anymore, it's people trying to make IRL money from them, too. As a result, those places where people trained "combat skills" or "earned money", like GWD and Black Demons, have now been so inundated with bots, that it's become almost impossible to go to those places anymore.

Off topic +1:

Is it time to "RIOT" about the botting problem?

nyuseg.png

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

It's never changed anything in the past, although it would be fun to take part in one and be a part of RS history.

If people really want to show Jagex that botting is a serious problem, then all the members need to cancel their memberships until something is done. That would hit them in the one place that seems to matter: their pocketbook.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

It's never changed anything in the past, although it would be fun to take part in one and be a part of RS history.

If people really want to show Jagex that botting is a serious problem, then all the members need to cancel their memberships until something is done. That would hit them in the one place that seems to matter: their pocketbook.

How does something like a riot get organized, I wonder? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts

People have to care about the issue, when it comes to botting - they wont.
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Neither, apparently, does Jagex. I just took a stroll through the main page. At a tertiary glance, I could not locate the original link to the forums about the whole "bot busting" extravaganza. Apparently "world turtle day" was far more important ...

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Would love to watch a riot about botting. My bet is that many there will use an autotyper.
The irony.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Would love to watch a riot about botting. My bet is that many there will use an autotyper.
The irony.

How about a bot that RIOTS about bots? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Atom Smash40
[ Display Name History ]

Atom Smash40

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Sounds legit if the Jmods are active. This is what RS needs. Just imagine having a Jmod that can perm ban/stat reset/bank swipe, available at your service. If they hired a jmod to do this during the work day, it would definitely make a difference.

THANK ME! Link me to the thread, please!

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

Sounds legit if the Jmods are active. This is what RS needs. Just imagine having a Jmod that can perm ban/stat reset/bank swipe, available at your service. If they hired a jmod to do this during the work day, it would definitely make a difference.

THANK ME! Link me to the thread, please!

Jagex rakes in the profit like there's no tomorrow. They could hire a team of bot busters and have the problem fixed by next week, and they wouldn't put a dent in that profit margin.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
I really want all the bots to go. Yes, I've played this game for a while now and yes, bots have been throughout this game. I don't care if prices fluctuate but I'm getting to the point that I'm fed up with the lack of caring by people to bot as well as people not caring about the bots enough.

The faster bots can disappear, the better.
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users