Jagex taking stance

Pinata

[hide=omg quote chain o.o]

[hide=more hide tags to save page length XD]

[hide=long quote chain/reply to Ring_World]

If you played for fun bots DONT affect your gameplay. If you play for an enlarged e-peen your wasting your time legiting, you might as well join them. I look forward to the angry e-famers who will rage/deny what I just said.

I have fun mining, but it's hard to do that when all the training spots are full of bots. Besides, it's not that bots make the game less fun, after all I can always train other skills that they don't affect like DG, but the fact they're not only being lazy but breaking the rules that bothers me.

Seeing people blatantly flaunting their disregard for the rules has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Really which training spots do you enjoy that are taken by bots? Here is the better question, which spots occupied by bots do they have an advantage over your 97 mining if you are competing?

And why does someone's personal choice matter? Its a game, Jagex isn't a deity why do you care so much about someone breaking rules if your not out for a spot on the high scores?

Any spot where you can one hit ore at a low level. I.e., clay (yes I mine my own clay for urns while I'm f2p), iron, and all lower ores. Futhermore, all woodcutting areas.

Yes it's a game. A game most of us have logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on. This is a game that builds upon the work you've put into it; therefore, most players don't like to see their play time hindered by people who break the rules. The part about breaking the rules only bothers me is because it is Jagex's number one rule basically. It's been the center or the majority of major changes to the game and the rule they swore to uphold when they returned free trade. It's like if the federal government decided to not do anything on terrorism even though they've said they're so guns-[garden tool] about stopping it. I am well aware I just related a game to real life, but on a larger scale, that is exactly what Jagex would be doing.

Find a better spot then for clay or iron?

Ok you personally chose to legit 99 smithing by cannonball making, someone else chose to bot it and do other things why does it matter? If you enjoyed your time on rs why do you care so much about the person that chose to bot it instead? Devalues your achievement perhaps but it shouldnt devalue your fun [because fun is derived from the activity not the recognition and if that isnt the case I suggest therapy]

And if the federal government decided not to pursue terrorism anymore that would be because they decided that its a waste of recources to have troops in foreign countries to find terrorist cells and a better way to fight it would be tighter border control/protect major targets. How would that be a bad thing? In essence that is what Jagex does now.

But you are making the call that bots = terrorists with that analogy and it is just plain off. Bots dont hurt your gameplay [unless you love clay/iron mining or use pure ess as a money maker] while a terrorist may harm your life or property. The same cannot be said about bots. [besides the flimsy devalues my money maker/achievement arugments]

At any rate to you personally, you CHOSE very mundaine and repetative ways of getting 99's [smithing with cannonballs, mining with gold pre lrc/pure ess] if you feel bad that you did it legit then you should have botted it. If you are mad that someone botting it takes away ingame recognition for your achievements seek therapy. If you are mad that bots devalue your money maker - find a better money maker. If you enjoy clay mining above all else in RS find an empty spot [yes im sure it exists].

If you enjoy mining, say you enjoy LRC, say you want 99. Why does it matter if you enjoyed getting 99, achieved it but someone else cheated. This is entertainment not a job, them cheating means nothing to me if I enjoy what I am doing.

Edit: I know it seems rude of me to say that about method you personally used to train but its not you directly im saying it to, its anyone who feels they got cheated by someone cheating. If this was IRL id support you 100% however this is entertainment, if someone cheats in GTA (Grand Theft Auto) and I dont care, after all what difference does it make to me? The only difference comes when theres a pecking order established by a high score list, but I honestly think people who worship those lists need therapy.

Edit: Edit: I know im rambling in this post bare with me

[/hide]

Every good spot for clay and iron are filled with at least three bots per ore cluster in F2P. I was just citing examples for activities levels don't affect when compared against bots. I can outclick bots the majority of time so it isn't a hassle for me, necessarily.

I did enjoy my time Smithing to 99. Why do I care about the person botting? They're cheating. The principle is as simple as that. Bots don't affect me until they begin to hinder my game play, and since everyone can use a furnace, they did not hinder my smelting. It never devalued my fun, but it does for sure devalue the achievement if one can not play a single hour and achieve that same skill as I have. As for recognition, explain the entire basis of skill capes. Humans by nature enjoy being recognized for their achievements whether they are real or something online. Why would there be Valedictorian during high school graduations if recognition is not important. I'm not saying it's a driving factor behind people getting 99s, but it's an after product that people enjoy to see/hear. Take strength and cooking for example. Most people do not even buy the capes because they are so popular and therefore devalued. Obviously, recognition is important to players.

If the federal government stopped an active approach towards terrorism they wouldn't stop entirely. You said it yourself, they would do something and not just totally stop. Totally stopping is basically what Jagex has done. If Jagex took an approach where they make it harder for bots to function effectively it would be different. They have done nothing besides blow smoke up our posterior ends.

Again, you said that RuneScape is for entertainment. If I decide that I loathe frost dragons and want to fish sharks since I enjoy fishing and they were decent money, then that's my choice and it's based on the fun factor. The bots have obviously harmed shark prices and therefore they have devalued something I enjoy and made it near stupid to fish for money. In essence, they ruined that aspect of fun since it's so impractical to perform that task anymore. Therefore, they did affect my game play and hinder my experience in RuneScape. I myself stated that I am not comparing bots to terrorists, but am comparing the actions of Jagex to something on a much larger scale, the federal government.

I do not feel bad about the way I achieved 99s. I did them because I LOVED that certain skill and the way of training it that I choose. Personally, smelting three minute batches that allowed me to forum browse and such, is the way I wanted to play RuneScape at that time. I'm not mad about people botting, as Racheya said in her article, "I don't care." It's the fact that they are cheating that bothers me only slightly. It's as simple as that; someone is allowed to cheat blatantly and get away with it. As I said before, empty spots are extremely tough to come by.

It doesn't matter to me at least. As I said before, it's the blatant cheating.

It's not rude, it's support to your argument and I'm fine with that. The only way bots directly affect you is if they ruin a way you used to play (mentioned above) or hinder your from performing a duty effectively. There are a lot of people who value they place on the high scores. To them, it is a competition and maybe this is the one thing they're good at. Is it wrong for them to have a sense of achievement over a game? Some may say yes, but others would disagree. It's all a matter of opinion and circumstance. My main point is however, it's cheating plain and simple. I'm not criticizing anyone besides Jagex themselves. If you're not going to enforce a rule then simply remove it and do not lie to people by saying you're proactively against it.

Personally, bots don't bother me anymore. When I was low leveled I believed I could make a difference by sending it hundreds of names of suspected bots into Jagex. I don't think so anymore. They're something I ,in essence, grew up with and with their return, I'm used to them. Botting isn't a felony or near a major crime; however, when Jagex basis major decisions about botting, they emphasize its importance in RuneScape itself. Therefore, they have established the severity of the offence in people's minds.

I had to retype this entire post as I hit add reply earlier and my internet died XD. I hope it's as good as the original.

I ask you why the principle of someone cheating matters to you that much? I like to believe im live and let live about a lot of things so its just foreign to me to care about someone else breaking the rules in a way that doesnt harm anyone. A real life example of this would be a pot smoker or someone that gets out of paying traffic tickets somehow. They dont hurt anyone by their actions so I tend to be rather empathetic with them. That is the same attitude I have towards someone who says "Yeah I botted this skill and that skill cause they suck"

The reason I say that ingame recognition shouldn't be sought after [and you should seek therapy if it is something you strive for] is that it is a MAJOR factor in developing an unhealthy obsession for the content, it creates the allusion of achieving something when in reality it isn't real. A lot of the top players on the 200m in all skills thread that quit have said similar things.

Sure recognition is fun, and pretty nice but it is harmful in my opinion to play for dangerous amounts of times for that high, when spending that amount of time on real challenges will create real recognition as well as real accomplishments. But for your particular runescape accomplishments, I think what you did was great and quite a feat at the time you did it and if you had fun doing it more power to you. :lol:

On the Jagex actions towards bots I agree they should be more responsive and actually do something. And I agree with you about bots that directly interfere with your fun are bad. Just something I dont understand still is the ones that dont interfere with your fun such as smith bots or alch bots, why does it matter if the player is cheating?

[/hide]

It just boils down to myself having pride in certain skills that I have accomplished. There are plenty of people that bot 99 cooking, and do I care? Not particularly. It ruins the fun you could have had and makes the accomplishment (if there is one) meaningless, but that's their choice. People who bot a skill like Runecrafting however kind of annoy me. It's a tedious skill that the majortiy of people who possess the skillcape have pride in. Also, it used to be a major money-maker for skillers that is basically ruined now.The fact that I can do nothing about it however makes it to the point where it's dumb to care if someone is botting anymore.

I don't see the point in botting 99's when you can easily play on a private server if abilities is all your after. If you think about it, people who bot are after recognition for no input sometimes. The fact that someone can offer zero input and achieve exactly what the person who spent 100 hundred hours doing whatever annoys me as well. It's as if someone got through the entirity of high school by cheating off someone else and graduated. I understand this happens, but on a much smaller scale. In fine, it takes away from the achievement, someone can achieve something with no input, and the majority of bots now directly harm players (as in they ruin training spots, ruin old money makers, and crowd areas).

Note that bots did not affect any of my skills so this isn't me being madbro about this :P.

Fair enough on the first paragraph.

Perhaps they are unfairly tring to enlarge their e-peen without actually exercising it themselves, so what it doesnt matter. A person that cheated their way to max lvl in runescape what did they gain or lose by doing so? They gained in-game recogntion (arguably undeserved), I cant think of much other gains, perhaps entertainment at max combat without working to get it? What did they lose by botting? Arguably nothing either, potentially their account and/or money to buy the bot but that isnt really too bad considering buy the bot once have it for life and bot a new account if main gets banned.

In relation to high school cheater its a poor example because you gain undeserved recognition for cheating, however you are an illiterate dumb ass despite the fact that you graduate.

That is why I say cheating IRL is bad and cheating in rs isnt.

[/hide]

They have an unfair advantage against anyone who actually spent the time to train. They did so without any struggles and in essences didn't earn what they have. It's about honor and pride basically. One who bots doesn't deserve the levels they earned. Compared to the players who sacrificed their time to achieve their goal and be able to do something new, they don't deserve it. If the players who bot only wanted the levels, why don't they just play on private servers? They obviously want the recognition and the ability to play with legitemate players. However, when they cheat, break a contract they agreed too, and break one of the biggest rules in the game, they don't even deserve that right. It's about having honor in everything you do. It my be a game, but I don't lose my morals when I click log on.

Protip: honour and pride are an entirely different thing then morals all together.

Example:Person A takes pride in working on his car himself, buying parts, fixing it up, making it awesome himself.

Person B is really rich and buys a Lamborghini then pays another 500 grand to pimp it up.

Now, given this information, what can you tell me about their morals?

Who cares what bots do?

They keep prices on materials low:P

Maybe if your not good at money-making you might feel otherwise though ha.

Oh lord, not this again.

Bots are against the rules, some people might be sympathetic, but that doesn't excuse the fact they're cheating.

why does cheating in a video game matter? Unless you have a specific instance of bots ruining your fun [via hogging your training spots for example] what does it matter if a person chooses to cheat?

Well aside from the tangible problems like hogging training spots, devaluing raw items and such, it's not in the spirit of the game. Why should we be expected to slog out all the grinding is so many lazy asses cheat like that?

THAT. RIGHT THERE.

That's what the real bot problem boils down to. In large part, bots come because players don't want to do the grind but want the reward for it. In life, when someone wants something but doesn't want to put in the effort, they either find an easier way around or give up.

Bots are the easier way around. In my opinion, as much as I dislike bots, what bots truly are is a reflection of how much of a grindfest certain elements of this surprisingly addicting game are.

Now, I'll be the first to jump on the "ban the bots" bandwagon, but you will not find me blaming people for botting.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However until the day you get Corp bots, Nex box, 5:5 dungeoneering bots, they dont concern me.

Ok -- so there is YOUR threshold. So, what happens when the bots get to Corp and Nex? I mean, really -- it's only a matter of time before they proceed to that level if they're left unabated ...

I blame the 200m xp thread for everyone making bots for Black Demons, they were empty until it became common knowledge that they are great Effigy droppers. Perhaps it would be more efficient now for you to kill them in edgeville dungeon?

I seriously doubt that the botters at Black Demons are there for effigies. These are not people trying to avoid the "grind". If that was the case, they be leaving the ashes behind, or at least scattering them -- and they aren't. In fact, they pick all ashes left on the ground. They don't scatter them, and they bank them. All of which tells me that they're gold-farming.

nyuseg.png

Who cares what bots do?

Oh lord, not this again.

Bots are against the rules, some people might be sympathetic, but that doesn't excuse the fact they're cheating.

why does cheating in a video game matter? Unless you have a specific instance of bots ruining your fun [via hogging your training spots for example] what does it matter if a person chooses to cheat?

Well aside from the tangible problems like hogging training spots, devaluing raw items and such, it's not in the spirit of the game. Why should we be expected to slog out all the grinding is so many lazy asses cheat like that?

If X* is...

*is a variable that represents any relevant item for the applied situation

IE: Video games, etc.

meant for entertainment, has aspects to it that you enjoy but have a very high time investment to be able to properly utilize it and the requirements are not something you enjoy then I think you have the right to bypass those requirements through cheats.

Conditions only apply if the situation above is applied. I dont support someone botting 200m xp in a skill, but I would support someone botting mining to reach LRC for example. Or botting combat to boss hunt as another example.

Except when the game is MULTIPLAYER game and isn't GTA where cheats are acceptable and intentionally designed because you aren't affecting anyone else. When the "spirit of the game" is based on exclusion and competition that standard would functionally make the game pointless. Your methodology would be fine in games that don't include a competitive aspect, but unfortunately a lot of people view Runescape as some form of competition of who can stand the most grind.

You would justify things like CoD MW 1 where every game is hacked, or a basketball game where no one is dribbling because it's more "fun" to simply shoot the ball and taking the time to learn to dribble is too much of a grind.

The negative consequences of botting on the entire game (things you conceded were bad) also should be enough of a reason as to why botting shouldn't be allowed, so i don't know why you're trying to defend it.

However until the day you get Corp bots, Nex box, 5:5 dungeoneering bots, they dont concern me.

Ok -- so there is YOUR threshold. So, what happens when the bots get to Corp and Nex? I mean, really -- it's only a matter of time before they proceed to that level if they're left unabated ...

*Thinks back to Tormented Demons bots...*

Only a matter of time. Lol.

09144a99bb.png

Who cares what bots do?

You just like the lower prices because you're bad at money making.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Who cares what bots do?

Oh lord, not this again.

If X* is...

*is a variable that represents any relevant item for the applied situation

IE: Video games, etc.

meant for entertainment, has aspects to it that you enjoy but have a very high time investment to be able to properly utilize it and the requirements are not something you enjoy then I think you have the right to bypass those requirements through cheats.

Conditions only apply if the situation above is applied. I dont support someone botting 200m xp in a skill, but I would support someone botting mining to reach LRC for example. Or botting combat to boss hunt as another example.

Except when the game is MULTIPLAYER game and isn't GTA where cheats are acceptable and intentionally designed because you aren't affecting anyone else. When the "spirit of the game" is based on exclusion and competition that standard would functionally make the game pointless. Your methodology would be fine in games that don't include a competitive aspect, but unfortunately a lot of people view Runescape as some form of competition of who can stand the most grind.

You would justify things like CoD MW 1 where every game is hacked, or a basketball game where no one is dribbling because it's more "fun" to simply shoot the ball and taking the time to learn to dribble is too much of a grind.

The negative consequences of botting on the entire game (things you conceded were bad) also should be enough of a reason as to why botting shouldn't be allowed, so i don't know why you're trying to defend it.

In his defense, I don't really think he is so much "defending" them as he is simply reminding everyone that they aren't moral nihilists or something of that sort. This site does seem to have a lot of nutcases that truly believe that someone having a bot on runescape makes them a monster. Hell, the other day I saw a comment where someone said that they hope anyone who bots dies very painfully and very soon. What the HECK?

TL;DR

Bots are a huge problem to runescape. However someone botting does not suggest a huge or fundamental flaw in their personality or character.

the-graduate-bus.png

In his defense, I don't really think he is so much "defending" them as he is simply reminding everyone that they aren't moral nihilists or something of that sort. This site does seem to have a lot of nutcases that truly believe that someone having a bot on runescape makes them a monster. Hell, the other day I saw a comment where someone said that they hope anyone who bots dies very painfully and very soon. What the HECK?

TL;DR

Bots are a huge problem to runescape. However someone botting does not suggest a huge or fundamental flaw in their personality or character.

Exactly, though I go as far as to say that in some cases Jagex making boring, repetitive content as part of the problem but in general yeah this is exactly what I am saying.

I have several TIF mods who I hold a personal grudge against because they agreed with the guy saying that botters must be moral nihilists or rapists irl. Seriously whoever agreed with that needs to get offline for a while get a dose of reality.

My other beef was that it just never made sense to me that people play "honorably" to complain about the ones who dont. My response is "if it bothers you so much your wasting your time not joining them" because in essence you are, if grinding isn't fun get a bot, if grinding IS fun but your mad that other people choose to cheat then your attitude says completely the opposite.

For example:

- If I enjoyed doing something fun like say got an a fun ride at an amusement park but someone else chose not to and had their twin brother/sister fill in for them that day my attitude would be "man they are missing out on some real fun, but hey their loss!"

- If I had to do something terribly boring like say traffic school or something and someone had their twin brother/sister fill in for them a day I would say "those bastards are cheating, I want them to suffer like I am"

Frankly I ONLY see the latter on RS and it is just sad.

[FOR INEVITABLE CRAPPY ALAOGY TO CHALLENGE MY CRAPPY ANALOGY: Amusement park ride = Fun skill, Traffic school = boring skill, twin brother/sister = bot]

Any questions?

Edit: this is also my response to I trollz u

You still aren't taking into account Runescape is a competitive game and none of those examples are similar. I don't see why it's wrong to complain about bots when they have an unfair advantage over others that they are directly competing with. I would complain if someone was cheating in a basketball or card game, don't see why runescape is any different. Why shouldn't people be angry at botters?

Change your second example to "wtf he's cheating and not playing fair, I want him to play the game fairly because the game isn't really fun for me when I have to compete with everyone botting, and the game would be much more fun if bots didn't exist."

Also think about what would happen if everyone botted. If everyone had 1B banks and max stats the game probably wouldn't be much fun, considering it's an RPG. Your belief that "I should be able to skip any grind i don't find fun" is contradictory to the very idea of an RPG, thus contradictory to the point of the game and would effectively ruin it.

The boring content Jagex develops is obviously, well, boring. And it probably is their fault for not being able to come up with better exclusive barriers than "who can stand the most grind", but that's just how the game is and if people don't like it it's perfectly understandable, and they should just not play the game because it sucks, not cheat and ruin the game.

I do take into account competition. However people need to sort out their priorities. Runescape isn't work its entertainment, yeah im sure if you play 5 hours a day for X rank in Y skill it can be fustrating if your opponents bots it for 23 hours a day.

But you have to examine your reasons for it bothering you. The "hes cheating thats not fair" attitude stems from "I hate training and I want this bastard to suffer too." Like I said before if you truly enjoy training a skill you will naturally end up with a high rank on it but you wont hold the vindictive attitude towards someone that cheats it, at worse it would be "Too bad he cheats this skill, he honestly is missing out on fun".

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER see the latter in runescape because most skills ARENT fun to most people, and they spend a lot of their time suffering through a skill for a high lvl or high rank. It just screams unhealthy obsession which I personally see to be much worse then botting.

And it makes sense, I legitly leveled all my skills, and I absolutely loathe Runecrafting. So I could see myself wishing bad things on those who cheat it instead of suffering through it like I did, except I realize that this is entertainment and if they cheated a skill they didnt like instead of suffering through it like I did they are the smart ones.

About what would happen if everyone botted. Not everyone will have max stats and a 1b bank. There will still be a wide distribution of levels as well as wealth. Besides the real pros would have massively more xp and money then the botters if this was the case.

I completely agree that there are people who have unhealthy obsessions, but i don't see how that's comparable to botting. TBH it just means they should take a break from the game, not bot. You're also probably right that most people feel that others should have to "suffer" through what they've gone through, but I really don't see what's wrong with that attitude. Mindless grinding is simply part of the game, don't do it if it sucks or simply ditch Runescape altogether if it really is causing you to "suffer". What about players who achieve high levels without an unhealthy obsession who simply have been playing the game a really long time? Are you really going to blame them for not liking people who botted their way to a 99 in a week?

I don't think people are "smart" for cheating their way through a game, just as i don't think someone is "smart" for glitching or using aimbots in CoD or any online video game simply because they don't like dying or think it'd be more fun for them that way (which btw, is basically what your bolded statement would justify).

And if everyone on RS botted or say botting became legitimized i guarentee you everyone would be maxed CB or near it within 3 weeks. Why would there still be a distribution of levels? I'm sure if someone played legitly 24 hours a day they could beat any botter, but that simply isn't possible so people that bot 24/7 without breaks will always surpass legitimate players who play like 3 hours a day.

I do take into account competition. However people need to sort out their priorities. Runescape isn't work its entertainment, yeah im sure if you play 5 hours a day for X rank in Y skill it can be fustrating if your opponents bots it for 23 hours a day.

But you have to examine your reasons for it bothering you. The "hes cheating thats not fair" attitude stems from "I hate training and I want this bastard to suffer too." Like I said before if you truly enjoy training a skill you will naturally end up with a high rank on it but you wont hold the vindictive attitude towards someone that cheats it, at worse it would be "Too bad he cheats this skill, he honestly is missing out on fun".

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER see the latter in runescape because most skills ARENT fun to most people, and they spend a lot of their time suffering through a skill for a high lvl or high rank. It just screams unhealthy obsession which I personally see to be much worse then botting.

And it makes sense, I legitly leveled all my skills, and I absolutely loathe Runecrafting. So I could see myself wishing bad things on those who cheat it instead of suffering through it like I did, except I realize that this is entertainment and if they cheated a skill they didnt like instead of suffering through it like I did they are the smart ones.

About what would happen if everyone botted. Not everyone will have max stats and a 1b bank. There will still be a wide distribution of levels as well as wealth. Besides the real pros would have massively more xp and money then the botters if this was the case.

I completely agree that there are people who have unhealthy obsessions, but i don't see how that's comparable to botting. TBH it just means they should take a break from the game, not bot. You're also probably right that most people feel that others should have to "suffer" through what they've gone through, but I really don't see what's wrong with that attitude. Mindless grinding is simply part of the game, don't do it if it sucks or simply ditch Runescape altogether if it really is causing you to "suffer". What about players who achieve high levels without an unhealthy obsession who simply have been playing the game a really long time? Are you really going to blame them for not liking people who botted their way to a 99 in a week?

I don't think people are "smart" for cheating their way through a game, just as i don't think someone is "smart" for glitching or using aimbots in CoD or any online video game simply because they don't like dying or think it'd be more fun for them that way (which btw, is basically what your bolded statement would justify).

And if everyone on RS botted or say botting became legitimized i guarentee you everyone would be maxed CB or near it within 3 weeks. Why would there still be a distribution of levels? I'm sure if someone played legitly 24 hours a day they could beat any botter, but that simply isn't possible so people that bot 24/7 without breaks will always surpass legitimate players who play like 3 hours a day.

Yes I would blame them, because if they truly played for entertainment someone else botting a skill they enjoy would mean nothing to them. I compare it to Grand theft auto because I play truly for entertainment and if someone else cheats on there it means nothing to me. The "dont like the grind then quit" attitude doesnt work either, because plenty of people love the game but hate the grind.

The difference between aimbots in CoD vs botting in runescape comes down to do you interfere with someone elses fun directly? An aimbot can help you spawn camp someone or just kill them on site which no one enjoys. A bot in runescape CAN be a form of griefing for reasons I have already said before were valid complaints, taking spots and ruining money makers. However someone that bypasses skills they find to be annoying like agility and dont directly grief other players like aimbots are things I see nothing wrong with.

Comes down to fun, plenty of people are more then happy to legit combat because they enjoy it. But lets say Jagex one day blatantly said "you can bot run wild!" would 99s become more concentrated? well of course, no denying that. But doesn't that say something about runescape? That the only reason everyone doesn't have all 99's is because so many skills aren't fun enough to keep people at them that long [and in some cases feel like actual work]?

At any rate my attitude can be best summed up as, "Dont hate the player, hate the game"

or

Dont hate the players that bot, hate Jagex for not having enough unique and fun ways of training in the game. If there was a 'fun' way of training each skill [even if slower then regular training] then I would switch my position on botting, but plenty of skills are more fit for a machine then a man.

Grand theft auto is a single player game, cheating in a multiplayer game has a lot more effects than cheating in GTA. Even botting agility has effects, because value of achieving 99 agility goes down a lot when the majority of people that have it bot. As you say, people grind and still love the game because of the end results of the training, and people who have worked for 99 agility lose a lot of their "prestige" for lack of a better term. Whether or not people should play for a cape or to boost their internet ego is another story, but botting negatively impacts people no matter what they bot. The fact that people botted frost dragons because it was too much of a grind to make money (which, by the way, your bolded thesis of "i should be able to have all the fun without work" also justified) is an even bigger consequence.

And yea, the fact that skills feels like work is what prevents people from gettings 99s. What's wrong with that? If everyone in the game became maxed the game wouldn't be a very fun RPG and would lose the roleplaying element completely. Maybe the game shouldn't be so grind heavy, but that's a reason why they should quit. And if you concede that most of the game is a grind, than how can you say people shouldn't quit because they love the game, when 99% of it is a grind? Don't hate the player, hate the game is fine. But the logical solution is for the player hating the game to not play the game, not ruin the game for everyone else.

I think that some sort of reward system could help.

Inb4peoplewouldspamreport....

I feel that, for example, a reward such as a bot-busting equivalent to the wildstalker helm could improve the likelihood of players actively taking action against bots. A simple, but decent reward for numerous successful macroing reports. To be honest, other than having a minute impact on the botting community that honestly does absolutely nothing i the grand scheme of things, players have no incentive to go and report bots. Maybe the occasional player who gets annoyed by a bot stealing their resource/monster, but not much else is done.

Perhaps Jagex could implement a formal way of signing in and out of these bot busting events, and if a player gets an amount of time/number of reports while clocked in, they could unlock a new piece of gear to show it off.

The fact Jagex are visibly taking hits at the botting community is awesome, but at the same time, may not be long lived if their is little player support. What do players love more than shiny things to put on their character? Nothing. Maybe icecream, but mostly nothing.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

Yes I would blame them, because if they truly played for entertainment someone else botting a skill they enjoy would mean nothing to them. I compare it to Grand theft auto because I play truly for entertainment and if someone else cheats on there it means nothing to me. The "dont like the grind then quit" attitude doesnt work either, because plenty of people love the game but hate the grind.

The difference between aimbots in CoD vs botting in runescape comes down to do you interfere with someone elses fun directly? An aimbot can help you spawn camp someone or just kill them on site which no one enjoys. A bot in runescape CAN be a form of griefing for reasons I have already said before were valid complaints, taking spots and ruining money makers. However someone that bypasses skills they find to be annoying like agility and dont directly grief other players like aimbots are things I see nothing wrong with.

Comes down to fun, plenty of people are more then happy to legit combat because they enjoy it. But lets say Jagex one day blatantly said "you can bot run wild!" would 99s become more concentrated? well of course, no denying that. But doesn't that say something about runescape? That the only reason everyone doesn't have all 99's is because so many skills aren't fun enough to keep people at them that long [and in some cases feel like actual work]?

At any rate my attitude can be best summed up as, "Dont hate the player, hate the game"

or

Dont hate the players that bot, hate Jagex for not having enough unique and fun ways of training in the game. If there was a 'fun' way of training each skill [even if slower then regular training] then I would switch my position on botting, but plenty of skills are more fit for a machine then a man.

Grand theft auto is a single player game, cheating in a multiplayer game has a lot more effects than cheating in GTA. Even botting agility has effects, because value of achieving 99 agility goes down a lot when the majority of people that have it bot. As you say, people grind and still love the game because of the end results of the training, and people who have worked for 99 agility lose a lot of their "prestige" for lack of a better term. Whether or not people should play for a cape or to boost their internet ego is another story, but botting negatively impacts people no matter what they bot. The fact that people botted frost dragons because it was too much of a grind to make money (which, by the way, your bolded thesis of "i should be able to have all the fun without work" also justified) is an even bigger consequence.

And yea, the fact that skills feels like work is what prevents people from gettings 99s. What's wrong with that? If everyone in the game became maxed the game wouldn't be a very fun RPG and would lose the roleplaying element completely. Maybe the game shouldn't be so grind heavy, but that's a reason why they should quit. And if you concede that most of the game is a grind, than how can you say people shouldn't quit because they love the game, when 99% of it is a grind? Don't hate the player, hate the game is fine. But the logical solution is for the player hating the game to not play the game, not ruin the game for everyone else.

Devaluing the hardwork people obsessed with runescape put into achieving 99s?

baww.png

See the bolded parts of my reply and see my previous posts

And you can judge if people are obsessed how...? Is getting 2 99s in the course of 6 years the sign of someone obsessed and constantly no lifeing? Even if someone really had an RS problem and no lifed to 99 agility, i still don't see why it's ok to devalue that achievement.

Anything that even hints that there taking a strong stand against bots is good news for me. Even though, the sad truth is that they can never totally fix the problem because botters will always find a way to get around it <_<

Isaact20.png

Isaact20.png

Anything that even hints that there taking a strong stand against bots is good news for me. Even though, the sad truth is that they can never totally fix the problem because botters will always find a way to get around it <_<

*Looks at stat signature and sees 99 wooductting at 92 combat*

UGM-1306184679-U654.jpg

GuidesForScapers.png

that damn bot.

that damn bot.

You excluded the dog? [bleep] you, sir. [bleep] you.

GuidesForScapers.png

But maybe Jagex should work on adding more fun to skills if they want to see any break in the number of bots.

Again, as has been said many times, this would not do a thing. It's not average players that decide to bot that's the problem. They could make skilling funner then boss hunting, but the RWT companies, the real problem, with thousands of bots each, will continue to bot.

Making skills funner to where people don't want to bot wouldn't even remove the slightest portion of bots.

09144a99bb.png

These events are somewhat successful but it's not going to really reduce macros that much. I mean, there's a large number of them in the Runescape Population.

Die liebe ist fur alle da aber nicht für mich

Ich habe Runescape seit November 2002 gespielt. Runescape ist eins der besten Spiele.

Je parle un petit peu du Français bien que je ne sois pas celui grand.

My stance on botting mirrors my stance on drug use.

The recreational users who arent harming anyone are who I support. [Runescape parallel = botters who cheat boring skills]

The traffickers/gang members [or cartels]/deals are who I would want to be stopped as they are the harmful dangerous ones. [Runescape parallel = gold selling companies (large and small)]

Exactly! I completely, 110%, agree! Well said. :).

09144a99bb.png

My stance on botting mirrors my stance on drug use.

The recreational users who arent harming anyone are who I support. [Runescape parallel = botters who cheat boring skills]

The traffickers/gang members [or cartels]/deals are who I would want to be stopped as they are the harmful dangerous ones. [Runescape parallel = gold selling companies (large and small)]

That doesn't change the fact that even what the recreational users is doing is against the law. (RuneScape parallel = botters knowingly breaking the rules)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It seems JaGeX sees no need to combat bots, for it is obvious that if the bots go offline each update, you could easily write program that would monitor (note, not instantly ban, but find further evidence) on people who have been playing 10-15 hours+ daily but ALWAYS stop for some time when updates occur. You know, that kinda is the biggest flaw in the bot mechanics, why not use it against them?

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

Little info for you all not everything is bots alot of the hot training spots and gold farmers is a little chinese man behind a computer screen with chat off killing dragons you can actually pay companies now to legit get you 99's in skills for hundreds of dollars

Arma Hilts-2

Bandos Drops-22

Zamork Hilt-1

Dragon Drops-122

Dk Drops-47

Whip Drops-10

99's-Herblore/Prayer/Fletching/Crafting/Constitution

2200 Total in under 100 days played

My Blog :D http://forum.tip.it/topic/301717-jessomephyrexials-blog/#entry5018330

you can actually pay companies now to legit get you 99's in skills

RWT and account sharing have never been allowed, this use of "pay" and "legit" in one sentence results in a falsehood.