Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Runescape after death?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Pete Party
[ Display Name History ]

Pete Party

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Jagex might own your account but they offer a service, so stop looking at it like it is an object.
There should be a policy for the death of customer that says what is allowed and what not.

I personally would say that direct family can take over the service or manage it.
That person might need the deceased credit card info to maybe cancel subscriptions.
Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

People actually have considered putting their RS account in their will?

That would be effing hilarious.

But wouldn't it be slightly depressing to put all that work into waste? You'd have to like, be a super Runescape enthusiast to live long
enough to set up your Runescape account as a will...It's only been 10 years since release date. Unless Jagex has plans
to settle this, I HARDLY doubt they'll even bother to innovate the policy.

TTanT
[ Display Name History ]

TTanT

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
But how would Jagex ever know? Sure there'd be an IP change, but sicne the old IP would assumably stop logging onto that account, then wouldn't the detection system assume a enw computer was bought?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

Tifers say the darndest things

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

But how would Jagex ever know? Sure there'd be an IP change, but sicne the old IP would assumably stop logging onto that account, then wouldn't the detection system assume a enw computer was bought?

If accounts got locked every time there was an IP change none of us would be able to play from work...I mean, I never play when I'm supposed to be working... :^o

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Pere Grin
I can see it now.

Lawyer: "He was a good man. He left his family all his financial assets to divide evenly. His spouse was left the house as well. And his best friend "pr0 h4x 901" gets his runescape account password and all his runescape possessions."

Crowd: "Aaaaaawwweeeeeee......how sweet. Wait, wtf? He bequeathed a dude his video game account?"

I mean, I cannot imagine why anyone would. That would almost seem like an insult, at least to me.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

People actually have considered putting their RS account in their will?

But how would Jagex ever know?

This pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the thread.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

PlzPuddngPlz
[ Display Name History ]

PlzPuddngPlz

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • RSN:PlzPuddngPlz

I can see it now.

Lawyer: "He was a good man. He left his family all his financial assets to divide evenly. His spouse was left the house as well. And his best friend "pr0 h4x 901" gets his runescape account password and all his runescape possessions."

Crowd: "Aaaaaawwweeeeeee......how sweet. Wait, wtf? He bequeathed a dude his video game account?"

I mean, I cannot imagine why anyone would. That would almost seem like an insult, at least to me.

OR:
To my family; I'm sorry I wasted spent all my money on online games, but now you can have the accounts to remember me by!
Username: Pr0 h4x 901
Password: *censored*

That would be a great troll.
Posted Image
Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.
Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts

I'd like to see the person who inherited the account explain himself to the deceased's friend's list.

Or they can bother not explaining and just delete the entire list, no problem then. Callous, but there it is.

May those who have actually passed away - godspeed, The Old Nite - rest in peace.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
The thought crossed my mind a few times. I don't care if my account is gone, but I would hope my IRC, Steam, and irl friends knew of my passing. I've thought of making a text document with instructions just in case.

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts

Jagex might own your account but they offer a service, so stop looking at it like it is an object.
There should be a policy for the death of customer that says what is allowed and what not.

I personally would say that direct family can take over the service or manage it.
That person might need the deceased credit card info to maybe cancel subscriptions.

They do have a polcy.

"Each account should only be used by ONE person. Account sharing is NOT allowed. You may not sell, transfer or lend your account to anyone else, or permit anyone else to use your account, and you may not accept an account that anybody else offers you."

"3. Can I sell the 'time' I have put into the account?

No. Under the game rules each account should only be used by one person. This applies throughout the lifetime of that account. In order to sell the 'time' you have put into an account, you would have to transfer or lend the account to someone else, thereby breaking the game rules."

Posted Image

Barihawk
[ Display Name History ]

Barihawk

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,987 posts
  • RSN:Barihawk
They do not allow it. In fact, if they learn/confirm that a player has become deceased, they will remove their toon from the highscores and active play. It happened with Shiva within a week of being reported.
Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts

They do not allow it. In fact, if they learn/confirm that a player has become deceased, they will remove their toon from the highscores and active play. It happened with Shiva within a week of being reported.

Maybe some sort of special highscore for those individual? I always think that if a person dies, his/her account will die with them, after all, its who the player is, not the achievement (at least IMO)
a happy Runescaper

PlzPuddngPlz
[ Display Name History ]

PlzPuddngPlz

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • RSN:PlzPuddngPlz
Central, I think some still-sensitive family members wouldn't like a "dead" highscores list. It'd also be pretty unexciting as accounts would only be added, never leveling up.

Just sayin'

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
You'd be surprised at the number of account sharing instances happen with no consequences in the clan world. So it's highly possible.

However, as others have said, it wouldn't be protected legally because it isn't your account. If you died and you used someone else's lawn mower, that lawn mower can't be put in your will because it's someone else's lawn mower. Even if you use it all the time, etc.

Not to mention the whole "internet with little to no regulation" argument.

j0xPu5R.png

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte
Jagex has always maintained that all player accounts are Jagex's own intellectual property. It's stated in numerous locations all over the Runescape site. As such, technically, you cannot bequeath that which does not belong to you under a Testamentary document (Will).

That said – you can pretty much say anything you want in your Will – although any lawyer preparing said document will look at you sideways. In the end, it is up to your Executors/Trustees to carry out your wishes, and why you'd want to saddle them with this kind of bequest is totally beyond the scope of normality.

Still – as of the date of this writing – I know of four people who have claimed to have "died" and had their accounts taken-over by some form of "representative".

Oh, this isn't "X". She passed away. She had a heart attack and fell out of window, onto exploding bomb, and was killed in a shooting accident. This is her sister ...

:unsure:

Personally, IMO, these four people didn't actually "die", but rather feigned (claimed) death in order to get out of the sticky drama into which all of them were embroiled ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts

Central, I think some still-sensitive family members wouldn't like a "dead" highscores list. It'd also be pretty unexciting as accounts would only be added, never leveling up.

Just sayin'

True enough, then I would opt for delete the account all together.
a happy Runescaper

primadog
[ Display Name History ]

primadog

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
I think this is a legitimate question considering the longetivity of this game.

It has run for a decade now and don't color me surprised if it run for a decade more. How many of us are guaranteed to survive for twenty years straight? We already had a high profile passing - The Old Nite - so why aren't we considering this issue more seriously?
All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I think this is a legitimate question considering the longetivity of this game.

It has run for a decade now and don't color me surprised if it run for a decade more. How many of us are guaranteed to survive for twenty years straight? We already had a high profile passing - The Old Nite - so why aren't we considering this issue more seriously?

Because death is 100x more serious then a RuneScape account.

I'd also like to find the number of people who play RS who have actual will's, the number of people who play RS who actually have someone they could pass their account to, and the number of people who fall into both categories. That will not be a particularly large number.

Plus, the issue is already settled. Jagex doesn't allow you to put your acc in your will. But, if you do put it in your will, how will they find out? (Unless the local media makes a news story outta it or something.)

Also, I fail to see the importance of passing your RS account to someone else when you die.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
Why would anybody put that in their will? They would just write down the username and password and give it to whoever. There's no need to try and make it "official" by putting it in a will.

2480+ total

cruseder4
[ Display Name History ]

cruseder4

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 86 posts
But people just IMAGINE, you are one of the top 10, and you die. Would you SERIOUSLY let the account die with you, or would you give it to a family member?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users