Sip

GuidesForScapers

verb /sip/ 

sipped, past participle; sipped, past tense; sipping, present participle; sips, 3rd person singular present

Drink (something) by taking small mouthfuls

- I sat sipping coffee

- she sipped at her tea

verb /driNGk/ 

drank, past tense; drinking, present participle; drinks, 3rd person singular present; drunk, past participle

Take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow

- we sat by the fire, drinking our coffee

- he drank thirstily

If we look at the size of a vial, herb, secondary, etc. we can determine that, relative to the size of the avatar, a vial or potion is fairly small. Thus, it can be sipped OR drunk. Either term is correct.

Fanserviceftw_7538_Obvious_troll_is_obvious.jpg

/thread

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

verb /sip/ 

sipped, past participle; sipped, past tense; sipping, present participle; sips, 3rd person singular present

Drink (something) by taking small mouthfuls

- I sat sipping coffee

- she sipped at her tea

verb /driNGk/ 

drank, past tense; drinking, present participle; drinks, 3rd person singular present; drunk, past participle

Take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow

- we sat by the fire, drinking our coffee

- he drank thirstily

If we look at the size of a vial, herb, secondary, etc. we can determine that, relative to the size of the avatar, a vial or potion is fairly small. Thus, it can be sipped OR drunk. Either term is correct.

Fanserviceftw_7538_Obvious_troll_is_obvious.jpg

Sip is still incorrect as i have previously explained. Repeatedly defining sip doesn't change that.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

When people say "pot" I say "I don't smoke".

The word "sip" just makes me rage. Everyone has words that piss them off, i was just unfortunate enough to get landed with one that people tend to say >_>

Know what makes me rage? Arrogant, belligerent PKers who think they actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

Also, this. +9001 times this.

The grand scheme of TIF? Someone, please, fill me in.

I was more referring to how so many PKers (this may or may not include you, I really don't know) constantly whine at Jagex for updates, even though Jagex spent the better part of a year trying to accommodate them. PKers make up a pretty small portion of active members, so to see so many updates go to a minority of players who are mostly ungrateful is frustrating, to say the least.

So you're whining about how Jagex listens to other players that whine to them and not you?

10xy5fk.png

The word "sip" just makes me rage. Everyone has words that piss them off, i was just unfortunate enough to get landed with one that people tend to say >_>

Know what makes me rage? Arrogant, belligerent PKers who think they actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

I was more referring to how so many PKers (this may or may not include you, I really don't know) constantly whine at Jagex for updates, even though Jagex spent the better part of a year trying to accommodate them. PKers make up a pretty small portion of active members, so to see so many updates go to a minority of players who are mostly ungrateful is frustrating, to say the least.

So you're whining about how Jagex listens to other players that whine to them and not you?

In essence, yes. :mellow:

td2sig.jpg

He has a valid point, there haven't really been many non PvP or quest updates in the past few months.

GuidesForScapers.png

He has a valid point, there haven't really been many non PvP or quest updates in the past few months.

Game Updates Fremennik Sagas 01-Jun-2011

Game Updates Death Hats, Draynor and Upgrades 25-May-2011

Game Updates Lava Flow Mine 16-May-2011

Game Updates Capes of Distinction 03-May-2011

Game Updates Items Kept on Death Changes 19-Apr-2011

Game Updates Holly and Hawthorn (Easter 2011) 19-Apr-2011

Game Updates Clan Camp, Support and Web Pages 12-Apr-2011

Game Updates Livid Farm 04-Apr-2011

Game Updates A Clockwork Syringe 28-Mar-2011

Game Updates Ring of Wealth, Shanties, Trolls and Dungeoneering 15-Mar-2011

Game Updates Bonus XP Weekend! 11-Mar-2011

Game Updates Artisans Workshop 08-Mar-2011

Game Updates Elemental Workshop IV 01-Mar-2011

Game Updates God Wars Dungeon The Nex Big Thing 21-Feb-2011

Game Updates Attack of the WildyWyrms! 21-Feb-2011

Game Updates Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts 15-Feb-2011

Game Updates Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rework 09-Feb-2011

Game Updates The Wilderness and Free Trade Return! 01-Feb-2011

Updates since the return of free trade, there have been 2 quests, 2 PvP updates and over 10 other updates.

10xy5fk.png

Game Updates Fremennik Sagas 01-Jun-2011

Game Updates Death Hats, Draynor and Upgrades 25-May-2011

Game Updates Lava Flow Mine 16-May-2011

Game Updates Capes of Distinction 03-May-2011

Game Updates Items Kept on Death Changes 19-Apr-2011

Game Updates Holly and Hawthorn (Easter 2011) 19-Apr-2011

Game Updates Clan Camp, Support and Web Pages 12-Apr-2011

Game Updates Livid Farm 04-Apr-2011

Game Updates A Clockwork Syringe 28-Mar-2011

Game Updates Ring of Wealth, Shanties, Trolls and Dungeoneering 15-Mar-2011

Game Updates Bonus XP Weekend! 11-Mar-2011

Game Updates Artisans Workshop 08-Mar-2011

Game Updates Elemental Workshop IV 01-Mar-2011

Game Updates God Wars Dungeon The Nex Big Thing 21-Feb-2011

Game Updates Attack of the WildyWyrms! 21-Feb-2011

Game Updates Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts 15-Feb-2011

Game Updates Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rework 09-Feb-2011

Game Updates The Wilderness and Free Trade Return! 01-Feb-2011

Updates since the return of free trade, there have been 2 quests, 2 PvP updates and over 10 other updates.

I was referring to the period of updates following the removal of Free Trade/PKing.

td2sig.jpg

Just because Jagex doesn't mention it doesn't mean it's wrong. There is no option to buy anything from another player, but you don't say "trading 5.5m for a saradomin sword" do you? "using" isn't useful on a skills necklace, but you use them, right? You kill monsters with no "kill" option. There is nothing saying "barrage player x" but you barrage them anyway. I know it's kind of a joke argument, but it's invalid nonetheless.

PM me for fitocracy invite

you DRINK a full jug of wine.

You SIP 1/4 of a potion.

To Drink

drink (drngk)

v. drank (drngk), drunk (drngk), drink·ing, drinks

v.tr.

1. To take into the mouth and swallow (a liquid).

2. To swallow the liquid contents of (a vessel): drank a cup of tea.

3. To take in or soak up; absorb: drank the fresh air; spongy earth that drank up the rain.

4. To take in eagerly through the senses or intellect: drank in the beauty of the day.

a. To give or make (a toast).

b. To toast (a person or an occasion, for example): We'll drink your health.

6. To bring to a specific state by drinking alcoholic liquors: drank our sorrows away.

To Sip

sip (sp)

v. sipped, sip·ping, sips

v.tr.

1. To drink in small quantities.

2. To drink from in sips.

Therefor the argument you are trying to prove in this rant is that drinking 1/4th of a potion is considered a large quantity in runescape. What is the average quantity you drink in runescape in a given action? A whole jug, a whole bottle, etc.

Therefor in comparision to average quantities of drinking, a dose of potion is considerably smaller by comparison. So in the world of runescape where everyone drinks full jugs/bottles/buckets of drink someone who drinks 1/4th of a tiny bottle of potion would be SIPping it.

Also dont strawman this argument by saying "Well in real life that would be a big drink" because this isn't real life and all laws of the universe dont matter. In runescape a whole shark could be a snack and your character can drink jugs/bottles/barrels/buckets of drinks in one action.

[/thread]

/thread

you DRINK a full jug of wine.

You SIP 1/4 of a potion.

To Drink

drink (drngk)

v. drank (drngk), drunk (drngk), drink·ing, drinks

v.tr.

1. To take into the mouth and swallow (a liquid).

2. To swallow the liquid contents of (a vessel): drank a cup of tea.

3. To take in or soak up; absorb: drank the fresh air; spongy earth that drank up the rain.

4. To take in eagerly through the senses or intellect: drank in the beauty of the day.

a. To give or make (a toast).

b. To toast (a person or an occasion, for example): We'll drink your health.

6. To bring to a specific state by drinking alcoholic liquors: drank our sorrows away.

To Sip

sip (sp)

v. sipped, sip·ping, sips

v.tr.

1. To drink in small quantities.

2. To drink from in sips.

Therefor the argument you are trying to prove in this rant is that drinking 1/4th of a potion is considered a large quantity in runescape. What is the average quantity you drink in runescape in a given action? A whole jug, a whole bottle, etc.

Therefor in comparision to average quantities of drinking, a dose of potion is considerably smaller by comparison. So in the world of runescape where everyone drinks full jugs/bottles/buckets of drink someone who drinks 1/4th of a tiny bottle of potion would be SIPping it.

Also dont strawman this argument by saying "Well in real life that would be a big drink" because this isn't real life and all laws of the universe dont matter. In runescape a whole shark could be a snack and your character can drink jugs/bottles/barrels/buckets of drinks in one action.

[/thread]

I don't see where in those definitions it said anything concerning "large quantities." Also, i'm fairly sure there are a lot more potions than jugs. So your 'average' theory is pretty baseless.

You seem to have missed the fact that both of your definitions of 'sip' referred to drinking, so drink would still be correct... And since there is not a sip option, in Runescape, drink is correct. Not sip.

Give up, [bleep]ing lol.

GuidesForScapers.png

And since there is not a sip option, in Runescape, drink is correct. Not sip.

There is no option to teleport via spells or teletabs(spells are cast, tabs are broken). But I would guess that you have said/say teleport or tele when talking about the act of casting a teleportation spell or breaking a teleport tablet.

Also,

172138d1305811644-game-thrones-hbo-spoiler-free-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

And since there is not a sip option, in Runescape, drink is correct. Not sip.

There is no option to teleport via spells or teletabs(spells are cast, tabs are broken). But I would guess that you have said/say teleport or tele when talking about the act of casting a teleportation spell or breaking a teleport tablet.

Also,

172138d1305811644-game-thrones-hbo-spoiler-free-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Then you would technically be incorrect.

I don't like using that argument, i much prefer the "i just dislike the word" argument, but the rules of the forum say i need a valid one... So there you go...

GuidesForScapers.png

In essence, yes. :mellow:

Also likes to whine about updates that don't cater to "high levels". I remember the second half of last year, damn it just never stopped. :rolleyes:

Staurolite.png