Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pking this is what it has become?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

All_Is_Great
[ Display Name History ]

All_Is_Great

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I don't think a lot of people understand the reasoning behind the honor code.

If 2 players are using protect prayers against each other then it just prolongs the fight and decreases the chances of a kill for BOTH people. Now, if both people don't use protect prayers then it's pretty much the same relative odds as before, except now BOTH have a better chance of getting a kill.

Now consider how unlikely it is to get a kill when everyones praying, teleing etc... It completely ruins it.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were supposed to put yourself at a huge disadvantage intentionally in order to please some orthodox (as it were) players.

In f2p, praying overheads is just downright sad. Not only does it take away the tiniest chance for a kill, you also waste your own prayer and that leaves you at a disadvantage to get a kill even if the other person is not using overheads. Remember there are no ppots in f2p.

Staurolite.png

Zaps
[ Display Name History ]

Zaps

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Spaz4010
  • RSN2:Zaps

There is also the point of RiskVsReward: If you pk in <20 wilderness, you are asking for people to teleport when they are in trouble; and chances are you have a teleport yourself, lol.

I could show you almost every single PK on my Berserker Pure and you will find that I have no runes or teletabs. I have PKed about 200ish Varrock tele tabs as of now, though.

It doesnt matter if you bring a tele or not, the fact is that if you pk in <20 wildy, its safer than in >30 wildy.
Wearing armour also makes it safer than not wearing armour, by saying that you dont bring armour (or in your case a tele) doesnt change the fact that its safer for everyone who does.
Point is: if you dont like people teleing from you, pk in deeper wildy.

I bolded what I was replying to in the original quote.

Bringing a tele doesn't make it any more safer. Also - once you get past maybe 7 wilderness it is a whole different style than Edge-style PKing.

------------

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

This highlights the feelings of players who actually have any real skill and awareness quite well.

Stfu and learn to play.

"zomg no safing asdf" because you don't know how to use your KO tools.

Have fun getting kills when people eat at about 600ish HP at 89 Strength.

"zomg no teleing fffffffffffffffffffffff-" because you're too stupid to realise that you can't tele past 30 wildy or that you can teleblock between attacks.

Need to be wearing Mage-boosing armour which will lower your defence against melee attacks quite a bit. This may work on iron pures.

"zomg no pray ahueheuheuheuheuhe" because you're not clever enough to realise how good Verac's is.

Because you're not clever enough to realise how bad the flail is as a primary weapon against 70+ Defence.

"zomg no running hnnnnnnnnnnngh" because you haven't yet figured out that hybriding is a great idea.

Then they will just tele (Assuming we're at Edgeville). Don't even try doing TB + Entangle. That's a joke unless you're packing god spells + charge.

Your elitism doesn't work when it's pretty obvious that it's only your lack of skill and capacity for critical thought that's holding you back.

EDIT: Forgot to mention your Verac's theory doesn't work against many PK-based builds outside mains and hybrid accounts (Mid levels).

inb4itismyfaultIdon'ttrainmydefence
Posted Image

viper_928
[ Display Name History ]

viper_928

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • RSN:viper928
People lie, people don't play fair. Its always been a part of the wilderness. It's impossible to control what the other person does while PKing. That's why I stick to the duel arena. You know the rules and you see them in front of your face. I feel that it is more straightforward.

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:i_trollz_u

Don't even try doing TB + Entangle. That's a joke unless you're packing god spells + charge.

God spells are really outdated and are just a sentimental reminder of old school pking. Fire surge with stream and c staff is better now on the normal spellbook.

"zomg no running hnnnnnnnnnnngh" because you haven't yet figured out that hybriding is a great idea.

Hybridding in edgeville is a "come claw rush/pj me" invite.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab
The honor system seems like it was made in a time where there was very little K0 power. Where there was very little one could do against an opponent who would eat, run or teleport.

Now, in P2P, there is a lot you can do. Between chaotics, korasis, d claws, there's a lot of K0 power. Whether or not any of these are being used in your particular fight is irrelevant; I think the existence of these makes the honor concept obsolete. Once enough people start playing without honor and having it work for them, it would probably start a domino effect.

In any case, I see no reason why you should expect honor way up north by the mage arena. The only place where "honor" pk'ing might be useful would be edge and F2P.

Lastly, this:

It's impossible to control what the other person does while PKing.

People will play however they play. If you want honor fights, you can either make an honor clan focused around honor fights (probably between it's own members to start or something, idk) or you can accept the way things are going now.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
Posted Image

Skillers just don't understand!

But really, honor pking died in 2007. Expecting any form of respect nowadays is a waste of time.

AHappySeeker
[ Display Name History ]

AHappySeeker

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • RSN:AHappySeeker
  • Clan:Diglettsweepers

Have fun getting kills when people eat at about 600ish HP at 89 Strength etc...

K, I tried replying to this neatly but gave up. I'll just list your points in order.

1. Even if they're comfortably outside of KO range, they're still expending their resources and not attacking you. At this point, they should be perma-iced or entangled depending on location.

2. Flash your gear. It takes one tick to switch as many pieces as you can click and it doesn't interrupt.

3. The flail becomes better as enemy def level increases since it ignores defense as well as prayer. Against anything above a mix of rune and dragon, it's arguably more efficient than a whip. As for the PK-based builds that you mentioned, this is why it's a terrible idea to PK until you're max-combat because of Jagex's terrible combat level calculation method

4. Why the hell would anyone Edge PK? Just go to the duel arena for that crap.

5. There is no 5. Derp.

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

K, I tried replying to this neatly but gave up. I'll just list your points in order.

1. Even if they're comfortably outside of KO range, they're still expending their resources and not attacking you. At this point, they should be perma-iced or entangled depending on location.

2. Flash your gear. It takes one tick to switch as many pieces as you can click and it doesn't interrupt.

3. The flail becomes better as enemy def level increases since it ignores defense as well as prayer. Against anything above a mix of rune and dragon, it's arguably more efficient than a whip. As for the PK-based builds that you mentioned, this is why it's a terrible idea to PK until you're max-combat because of Jagex's terrible combat level calculation method

5. There is no 5. Derp.

You clearly have no knowledge or experience at pking at all, so why are you trying to give pkers advice? Your advice reeks of [cabbage] and theory-crafting.

Do us a favor and let the pkers discuss pking. Go back to castle wars or woodcutting, please.

AHappySeeker
[ Display Name History ]

AHappySeeker

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • RSN:AHappySeeker
  • Clan:Diglettsweepers
You seem to have no knowledge of how to play to win. Let the players who actually understand how risk works in 2011 get on with their PKing and stick with boxing.

homer205
[ Display Name History ]

homer205

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • RSN:Homer205
  • RSN2:Balthamel
  • Clan:Hyt, Swift Legions
Oh look, pking and people arguing. I'm shocked.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

elucin8er
[ Display Name History ]

elucin8er

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • RSN:Elucin8er
Lol the actual pkers are dominating this arguement. As the epic picture says, skillers just dont understand.

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post :thumbsup: Few people should be leaving this thread, you is getting owned.
Posted Image

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Boeg3
[ Display Name History ]

Boeg3

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • RSN:Boeg
  • Clan:Shawa Manz

Lol the actual pkers are dominating this arguement. As the epic picture says, skillers just dont understand.

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post :thumbsup: Few people should be leaving this thread, you is getting owned.

That makes me lol^.. hard
Welcome back to the thread that failed so hard you had to leave it broski!

Now, the guy with the picture said that everyone who doesn't agree with him don't understand, and then went on to assume that we were all skillers then.
Bascially just flame with no argument.. a post i would expect from you tbh :-#

Pete Party
[ Display Name History ]

Pete Party

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 487 posts
I have had people convince me to do a DM then when they were about to die they run...
Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

That makes me lol^.. hard
Welcome back to the thread that failed so hard you had to leave it broski!

Now, the guy with the picture said that everyone who doesn't agree with him don't understand, and then went on to assume that we were all skillers then.
Bascially just flame with no argument.. a post i would expect from you tbh :-#

If you read my post I think you'll find it far less judgmental.

CharlieBrown
[ Display Name History ]

CharlieBrown

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  • RSN:CharlieBrown

Just looked you up in high scores

You're not ranked for anything pk related
??????

Inb4norareyou. Ididn'ttrytoactlikeiwasamassivepk'er

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RSN:Crossed Body
I'm still waiting for real-death duel arena matches, with rules. Then I might start pking.
Posted Image

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Heh.

I bet Happy gets far more kills in a day than anyone who tells him to follow the so-called honor code. And the best part is he rarely ever has to die because the honor code said no running.

In f2p, praying overheads is just downright sad. Not only does it take away the tiniest chance for a kill, you also waste your own prayer and that leaves you at a disadvantage to get a kill even if the other person is not using overheads. Remember there are no ppots in f2p.

It's really a matter of tactics. Use everything at your disposal.

Let's say I'm up against someone who is purely melee, in deep wild, and there's a 10 level difference between us with me being the lower leveled. They put on melee pray? I mimic their move and switch to fire blast. (You can now mage in full rune with a high enough magic level and mage dungeoneering gear.) Fast switching takes at best only a second. Usually they get surprised and after a few seconds switch to mage pray. In that case you switch back to melee. Whittle their health down. At this point they're the ones who try juggling to eat and prayer switch, they're barely damaging you, and all it takes is one fatal second of indecision. (To annoy them further, flash pray to the swing of their weapon, but it's not necessary at this point.) If they try to run away, well that's what binds are for.

If I were up against a hybrid range/2her I would use different tactics when approaching the fight. Same for a pure ranger.

This way, F2P pking is hardly a boring slap-me-silly scimitar fight in full rune with misses everywhere if you use what's there in the game that's available. Corrupt weaponry, dungeoneering weapons, etc. Because there are no rules like in a duel arena, every possibility under the sun is open to you.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts

Heh.

I bet Happy gets far more kills in a day than anyone who tells him to follow the so-called honor code. And the best part is he rarely ever has to die because the honor code said no running.

It's really a matter of tactics. Use everything at your disposal.

Let's say I'm up against someone who is purely melee, in deep wild, and there's a 10 level difference between us with me being the lower leveled. They put on melee pray? I mimic their move and switch to fire blast. (You can now mage in full rune with a high enough magic level and mage dungeoneering gear.) Fast switching takes at best only a second. Usually they get surprised and after a few seconds switch to mage pray. In that case you switch back to melee. Whittle their health down. At this point they're the ones who try juggling to eat and prayer switch, they're barely damaging you, and all it takes is one fatal second of indecision. (To annoy them further, flash pray to the swing of their weapon, but it's not necessary at this point.) If they try to run away, well that's what binds are for.
If I were up against a hybrid range/2her I would use different tactics when approaching the fight. Same for a pure ranger.

This way, F2P pking is hardly a boring slap-me-silly scimitar fight in full rune with misses everywhere if you use what's there in the game that's available. Corrupt weaponry, dungeoneering weapons, etc. Because there are no rules like in a duel arena, every possibility under the sun is open to you.

I guarantee you can't mage in full rune and expect to hit, not matter how high your mage lvl is. I can also guarentee you that no one my lvl in f2p could ever kill me if i even "safed" above 400 LP, even with a grav 2h. If i prayed melee they wouldn't be able to kill me at all. There's also no way they can switch the mage gear unless someone is using an incredibly slow weapon, i'd get off at least 2 shots on a shortbow by the time they finished they switch to mage gear and back. Also...teleports?

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts

5. There is no 5. Derp.

Lol@ suggestion of veracs set of for hybridding. GL getting set effect to take place often enough to make a difference. And it takes more than one tick to do a 4 item switch (taking into account the time it takes to cast a spell or click attack as part of the tick). And the max hit of the flail is about the max hit of a d scim anyway.

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Everything is situational. In your case you seem to be a range/g2h hybrid. I wouldn't use approach I mentioned. That's entirely for pure melee enemies.

As for magic: blastbox deals a 25% critical hit. Add that with the bonuses given by the blast necklace and the gravite staff, I've managed to deal upwards of 230 damage. While wearing full rune, and my magic at 99, swanky boots for my feet and runecraft robe gloves for my hands.

It's extremely effective against the outdated full rune scimitar/2h setup.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users