I can't take Jagex seriously anymore.

sees_all1

Sure, they cherry pick things to read in customer support. An automated reply is still not a good way to assure a customer you value their time.

Polls have proven meaningless, especially after the poll on the return of free trade.

Looking does not mean they will implement or much less reply to those suggestions.

The bot hunts are a farce and barely dent the determination of those cheating. It's out of control, as the opening post on this thread has proven.

Of course I'm getting nowhere with Jagex. It's been this way for a long, long time, and will continue to be until it dies. I'm an old hand at this, and I'm grousing about it as much as I've praised some of their work. It is the rants forum, no? You seem to be under the assumption that a person can't hold two contradictory views at the same time.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

There's a clan chat in-game called "Ad Busters", generally if you ever see spam like this -- or even just one person, pop in there and notify a Player Moderator. There's generally several in there, depending on what time of day it is. They'll come and take care of them for you.

Missed replying to this. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

No, it's just a site traffic tracker with some other interesting info. But the fairly massive decline in pageviews (about one third loss over around a year) indicate that people are leaving. Not sure though.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I dont like getting muted because a bunch of butthurt players decided to report me. I think you overestimate the integrity of the general runescape population by a lot.

I'm not sure you'd be affected by these changes, except you'd be able to get muted quicker.

I pay 6 bucks a month for jagex to take of their game and moderate it, not to be moderated by the other imbecile children. I'm going to want the 1 dollar that goes to customer support and jagex moderating staff if their jobs get taken over by Runescape players.

1. Allow all players to freeze their chat windows. Allow all players to right-click "Report Abuse" when their chat windows are frozen.

Or they could implement the Report Abuse interface currently used on German worlds* (and possibly other foreign worlds; I didn't check) on the English worlds too. It's not like what you suggested, but is a lot simpler than the current English interface.

*In German worlds, when you click the Report Abuse button, a dialog box containing all the current lines of chat in the chatbox appears. You can then click on the offending line of chat and the user who typed that line gets selected to be reported. So there's no need to enter weird nonsensical bot names manually.

P.S. and slightly off topic: I didn't get a chance to check if the 1-report-per-minute rule applies on the German worlds (the need for multiple reports never arose in the spambot-free German GE :P); can someone check it if s/he gets the opportunity to do so?

I dont like getting muted because a bunch of butthurt players decided to report me. I think you overestimate the integrity of the general runescape population by a lot.

I'm not sure you'd be affected by these changes, except you'd be able to get muted quicker.

I pay 6 bucks a month for jagex to take of their game and moderate it, not to be moderated by the other imbecile children. I'm going to want the 1 dollar that goes to customer support and jagex moderating staff if their jobs get taken over by Runescape players.

With that notion you're assuming pmods are carefully selected. I got modded at age 13, and I can't say I was as mature as I'd personallly would like pmods to be. Hell, there's plenty of pmods that abuse their positions (though many of them are just fine). Point is, current system is everything but flawless.

That said, if I were a new player to the game, and therefore F2p, I'd quit upon seeing the mess that is the grand exchange. It clearly gives the game, and therefore Jagex, a reputation of being out of control.

There is a fairly easy solution though: public chat to friends or off.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

"2. Allow all players to send in as many reports as they please, don't limit them to one a minute."

Maybe players over a certain level or QP or EXP or something?

That works.

♪♪ And I'm not done

With that notion you're assuming pmods are carefully selected. I got modded at age 13, and I can't say I was as mature as I'd personallly would like pmods to be. Hell, there's plenty of pmods that abuse their positions (though many of them are just fine). Point is, current system is everything but flawless.

That said, if I were a new player to the game, and therefore F2p, I'd quit upon seeing the mess that is the grand exchange. It clearly gives the game, and therefore Jagex, a reputation of being out of control.

If i were a new player and got muted because a bunch of players who got upset decided to abuse the report feature and get all their friends to auto-mute me, I would quit the game because it shows how horrible the community is. At least let new people find out how horrible RS players are themselves instead of smacking it in their face.

If i were a new player and got muted because a bunch of players who got upset decided to abuse the report feature and get all their friends to auto-mute me, I would quit the game because it shows how horrible the community is. At least let new people find out how horrible RS players are themselves instead of smacking it in their face.

Just like there shouldn't be PMODs because they have the potential to abuse their muting powers?

I disagree.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Just like there shouldn't be PMODs because they have the potential to abuse their muting powers?

I disagree.

There would be a lot more instances of abuse if the general RS population had the power to mute. A corrupt PMOD would be a lot less common than a bunch of friends running around muting anyone they don't like.

Or better yet have one person create multiple throwaway accounts and then have them all auto mute someone just for the lulz.

With the kind of people populating this game, it's definitely better not to give anyone more power. Only way I see that happening is if the Jmods know them very, very well and trust them to do a good job.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I disagree.

I agree with your disagreeing. :thumbup:

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

With the kind of people populating this game, it's definitely better not to give anyone more power. Only way I see that happening is if the Jmods know them very, very well and trust them to do a good job.

You mean people like pmods...?...and the way it is now?

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree with changing the amount of words a person can say in a certain amount of time. On the other hand people would probably abuse the report system more often and take the powers to advantage.

lady_of_hope.png

I've totally lost all respect for Jagex. I don't play their games anymore, and will not return, even if the bot problem gets fixed (doubt it will, RuneScape is seeing its decline in my opinion; even the Roman Empire had to fall). I've found more pleasures in playing music anyways. :)

To be honest, Jagex as a company I've never taken seriously. They've always had such [developmentally delayed]ed solutions to things in general. "Lets take away free trade to combat real world trading! hur durr". Just makes me think there could have been better solutions. On the topic of the muting system it seems like its a system the definitely needs to be fixed and the process also needs to be sped up. I was muted once and i was actually given the mute a month after the actual offense. It was via player mod and according to my friend who's a player mod this happens often.

Sawcopy.jpg

On the topic of the muting system it seems like its a system the definitely needs to be fixed and the process also needs to be sped up. I was muted once and i was actually given the mute a month after the actual offense. It was via player mod and according to my friend who's a player mod this happens often.

Having been a player mod this comes as a surprise. Whenever I muted someone, the effect was immediate. Any reports by Pmod also got reviewed by Jmods within hours, as I could check by logging into the moderator centre. Them taking a month or more would be more likely because a number of normal players reported you. Though at this point I doubt reports by normal players are even looked at anymore.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

On the topic of the muting system it seems like its a system the definitely needs to be fixed and the process also needs to be sped up. I was muted once and i was actually given the mute a month after the actual offense. It was via player mod and according to my friend who's a player mod this happens often.

Having been a player mod this comes as a surprise. Whenever I muted someone, the effect was immediate. Any reports by Pmod also got reviewed by Jmods within hours, as I could check by logging into the moderator centre. Them taking a month or more would be more likely because a number of normal players reported you. Though at this point I doubt reports by normal players are even looked at anymore.

Well it was a few years, around the time of the initial release of Fist of Guthix so my memory could be quite foggy, think thats just what i remember seeing when I read the notification of the mute. However the part of me asking my player mod friend I'm sure that happened. Its depressing to think that normal reports aren't even looked at it anymore though.

Sawcopy.jpg

Well it was a few years, around the time of the initial release of Fist of Guthix so my memory could be quite foggy, think thats just what i remember seeing when I read the notification of the mute. However the part of me asking my player mod friend I'm sure that happened. Its depressing to think that normal reports aren't even looked at it anymore though.

The offence actually said a pmod did it? Strange.

Anyhow, I was a pmod a few years ago, and I know that definetly cannot have been the case. If your pmod friend said so at the time he is mistaken. Either that, or Jagex failed beyond its usual measures.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

I'm only annoyed by the ones that pm me. I leave my private chat to open, but it can force me to turn it to friends only when I enter the GE.

My private chat is always on Friends. I find it's the best way to keep the riff-raff out.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

• 1 month later...

a possible solution, Is when a player is reported 10 times for website advertising, They're Muted for an hour, That way, There's no one single player with the ability to mute, Vastly reducing the risk of abuse.

coolte10.png