Wii U

Lep

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/

Slowly, but surely, we're starting to piece together what's going on inside that mysterious white box known as the Wii U. IBM was a little coy about the multi-core CPU it was providing, but did tantalize us by mentioning the name "Watson" in describing some of its underlying tech. Now details about the custom Radeon GPU are starting to surface and, while certainly capable, it's not exactly cutting edge. At its heart is a chip similar to the R770 found in AMD's last-gen cards like the 4890 and, before you dismiss it, remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still capable of pumping out impressive visuals while packing five-year-old silicon (The 360 is essentially running a souped up ATI X1900). The custom core also supports Direct X 10.1 (Microsoft runs out of steam with Direct X 9) and Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use. In case you're still not convinced of the Wii U's graphical prowess, Crytek has said its advanced CryEngine is "pretty much" up and running on Nintendo's upcoming console -- and, if it's good enough for Crysis, it should be good enough for you.

Just to get some factual stuff in here. The system will be a fair share stronger than the 360 and PS3. Most likely it will be in the same position the Dreamcast was in when it launched, as in it will be powerful when it comes out but get overshadowed a little bit by next gen consoles.

You could even compare it to the PS2 vs Xbox/Gamecube in a way. (PS2 being Wii U and Xbox/Gamecube microsoft's and sony's new consoles when they are released).

And before you go "ah year old tech wtf!" remember that consoles pretty much always use older video card tech. Because they are dedicated they can pull a lot more out of it.

http://www.engadget....ful-than-ps3-a/

Slowly, but surely, we're starting to piece together what's going on inside that mysterious white box known as the Wii U. IBM was a little coy about the multi-core CPU it was providing, but did tantalize us by mentioning the name "Watson" in describing some of its underlying tech. Now details about the custom Radeon GPU are starting to surface and, while certainly capable, it's not exactly cutting edge. At its heart is a chip similar to the R770 found in AMD's last-gen cards like the 4890 and, before you dismiss it, remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still capable of pumping out impressive visuals while packing five-year-old silicon (The 360 is essentially running a souped up ATI X1900). The custom core also supports Direct X 10.1 (Microsoft runs out of steam with Direct X 9) and Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use. In case you're still not convinced of the Wii U's graphical prowess, Crytek has said its advanced CryEngine is "pretty much" up and running on Nintendo's upcoming console -- and, if it's good enough for Crysis, it should be good enough for you.

Just to get some factual stuff in here. The system will be a fair share stronger than the 360 and PS3. Most likely it will be in the same position the Dreamcast was in when it launched, as in it will be powerful when it comes out but get overshadowed a little bit by next gen consoles.

You could even compare it to the PS2 vs Xbox/Gamecube in a way. (PS2 being Wii U and Xbox/Gamecube microsoft's and sony's new consoles when they are released).

And before you go "ah year old tech wtf!" remember that consoles pretty much always use older video card tech. Because they are dedicated they can pull a lot more out of it.

While a 4890 would be amazing, I have a problem with this article. The 4890 is not based of RV770 like Engadget reports. It's from the RV790 line. Not sure if it's a typo or a simple overlook, but I don't know if it's the most reliable info.

That being said, the Raedon R700 line is what we've been hearing this whole time, so it does make sense in that regard.

1icyna.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been a fan of the Wii. I doubt the Wii U will ever make its way into my home. Still, I admire Nintendo's innovative approach and wish them all the same success with this next console.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I hate the name.

I really hate the name.

I'm sorta eh. If it's expensive and proves not to be total rubbish we might end up getting one in the house, but if it's just the old Wii in a new package then I'm not interested. I'm not too worried about technical specs since, hell, I still play PS1 & 2 games.

The comparison to the dreamcast is interesting though. In between the generations, not quite there. I think it's a bit of a risk because kids aren't as interested in the wii as they like to think they are. It's mums that are, parents who aren't gamers, and the Wii U looks nothing like any console they can relate to.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].